Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
Oregonrain

Location: For now I live in Lebanon, OR, but this summer I'll be living somewhere in the Lakes Region
Default Laconia...

I've been a member of this forum for about a year or so. I've read a lot of the comments and am aware that Laconia has a drug problem. That being said, most cities have a problem, of some size, with drugs.

I'm wanting to know, if you could tell me, which areas are better to stay away from? Here, in my town, there are certain areas where I wouldn't want to live because I know it's not a good neighborhood. So, my question is, which neighborhoods in Laconia would be better to live in and which would be better to stay away from?

It's just my husband and myself, no kids (they're grown already). I want to feel safe at night. I'd really like to live on the outskirts of the city. Country life is great for me. I love seeing wildlife and would love to see a moose or two... (as long as they didn't eat my flowers and garden like the deer do here.... lol) Thank you for any information.
Oregonrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonrain View Post
I've been a member of this forum for about a year or so. I've read a lot of the comments and am aware that Laconia has a drug problem. That being said, most cities have a problem, of some size, with drugs.

I'm wanting to know, if you could tell me, which areas are better to stay away from? Here, in my town, there are certain areas where I wouldn't want to live because I know it's not a good neighborhood. So, my question is, which neighborhoods in Laconia would be better to live in and which would be better to stay away from?

It's just my husband and myself, no kids (they're grown already). I want to feel safe at night. I'd really like to live on the outskirts of the city. Country life is great for me. I love seeing wildlife and would love to see a moose or two... (as long as they didn't eat my flowers and garden like the deer do here.... lol) Thank you for any information.
Laconia is the least desirable city/town on Lake Winnipesaukee. I'd simply cross it off your list and look in the other areas around the lake.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
ApS (05-01-2016), Oregonrain (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 02:35 PM   #3
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
Laconia is the least desirable city/town on Lake Winnipesaukee. I'd simply cross it off your list and look in the other areas around the lake.
I agree with this. And since you say you like country living and want to be on the outskirts of the city life I would (personally) cross Meredith off that list too, especially in the summer month(s).

If you look at some of the towns around the lake you will find a much better living environment. Alton, Gilford, Moultonboro, Center Harbor to name a few.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
greeleyhill

Let's not paint with such a broad brush. Cape Cod has a drug problem too but I wouldn't say stay away from the cape. There are some less desirable spots in Laconia, for sure but, there are some beautiful areas too. It all depends on what you are looking for. Lakefront? Lake Access? There are a lot of affordable options. I assume you aren't looking to live in downtown Laconia and if that is the case, take your time and do your homework - you can find something that will meet your needs.
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greeleyhill For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (05-02-2016), dave603 (05-01-2016), diz (05-01-2016), laketrout (05-09-2016), Oregonrain (05-01-2016), Reilly (05-02-2016), Resident 2B (05-02-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #5
Scott

Quote:
Laconia is the least desirable city/town on Lake Winnipesaukee.
To you.

There's no shortage of rapidly filling housing communities and luxury condos being built in the Laconia/Weirs area. Quite possibly more than in any other town around the lake.

It's a shame Laconia is big enough to have its problems thoroughly reported in the news.
diz (05-01-2016), laketrout (05-09-2016), Oregonrain (05-01-2016), windsail (05-23-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #6
Oregonrain

Location: For now I live in Lebanon, OR, but this summer I'll be living somewhere in the Lakes Region

A quiet, nice neighborhood would be good. We'd like to throw a couple antenna's up for our ham radio so no associations. Outside of town would be good. Lake access can be had through parks and what not. It's not a necessity for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post
Let's not paint with such a broad brush. Cape Cod has a drug problem too but I wouldn't say stay away from the cape. There are some less desirable spots in Laconia, for sure but, there are some beautiful areas too. It all depends on what you are looking for. Lakefront? Lake Access? There are a lot of affordable options. I assume you aren't looking to live in downtown Laconia and if that is the case, take your time and do your homework - you can find something that will meet your needs.
Old 05-01-2016, 04:49 PM   #7
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
To you.

There's no shortage of rapidly filling housing communities and luxury condos being built in the Laconia/Weirs area. Quite possibly more than in any other town around the lake.

It's a shame Laconia is big enough to have its problems thoroughly reported in the news.
There is no doubt there are some nice properties in Laconia. However, I stand by my opinion that Laconia is the least desirable place to live on the lake. Wolfeboro, Alton, Meredith, Tuftonboro, etc are all nicer communities with fewer problems, better waterfronts, etc.
Old 05-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Agree with secondcurve and Outdoorsman.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:11 PM   #9
pjard

Quote:

I am not Laconia bashing at all but why did you select or are you leaning towards Laconia? What did you see/read that you liked?
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:40 PM   #10
Oregonrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
I am not Laconia bashing at all but why did you select or are you leaning towards Laconia? What did you see/read that you liked?
One of the things we're looking for in a community is a good church. By that we mean one that is faithful to the reformed theology. There is a church in Laconia that we've been researching that meets the criteria we've set (so far. We won't know for sure until we've been able to go there a few times.) That is the main reason.

For myself, I'm not used to driving in snow and was looking for a place that wasn't too far away. For my husband, he grew up in New England and has no problem driving in the snow. He's perfectly ok with driving a bit of a distance in order to attend church. However, for both of us, church is very important. Also, my husband has some health issues and being near a good hospital/doctor would be good... although, I've heard some very negative things about the hospital in Laconia which I'm taking into very serious consideration.

It's not set in stone where we'll live. I'm aware that things will be vastly different once we get there and can see things in person. I was just wondering if there were certain parts of Laconia that it would be better to stay out of than others.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:28 PM   #11
codeman671

Take a look at Alton. It is centrally located in that within 20 minutes you can be in Laconia, wolfeboro or Rochester which gives you access to 3 hospitals.
Less crime and drugs and lower taxes helps too. They probably don't have the church affiliation you are looking for but again within 20 minutes you can probably choose from a few.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:39 PM   #12
pjard

Quote:
One of the things we're looking for in a community is a good church. By that we mean one that is faithful to the reformed theology. There is a church in Laconia that we've been researching that meets the criteria we've set (so far. We won't know for sure until we've been able to go there a few times.) That is the main reason.

For myself, I'm not used to driving in snow and was looking for a place that wasn't too far away. For my husband, he grew up in New England and has no problem driving in the snow. He's perfectly ok with driving a bit of a distance in order to attend church. However, for both of us, church is very important. Also, my husband has some health issues and being near a good hospital/doctor would be good... although, I've heard some very negative things about the hospital in Laconia which I'm taking into very serious consideration.

It's not set in stone where we'll live. I'm aware that things will be vastly different once we get there and can see things in person. I was just wondering if there were certain parts of Laconia that it would be better to stay out of than others.
Any city or town in NH does a great job with snow....they have it figured out. Sure there may be that 1 in a 100 years blizzard that totally shuts things down but that's not often. If the weather is that bad, they probably would cancel service anyway. I wouldn't even consider that as a criteria....just my opinion.

Once again am not a Laconia basher. I live in Gilford, not Laconia but there are plenty of nice parts of Laconia.
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pjard For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (05-01-2016)
Old 05-01-2016, 08:38 PM   #13
Oregonrain

I've grown up in an area that closes its school when we get 1/2 in of snow... so any amount over that is a lot to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
Any city or town in NH does a great job with snow....they have it figured out. Sure there may be that 1 in a 100 years blizzard that totally shuts things down but that's not often. If the weather is that bad, they probably would cancel service anyway. I wouldn't even consider that as a criteria....just my opinion.

Once again am not a Laconia basher. I live in Gilford, not Laconia but there are plenty of nice parts of Laconia.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #14
Acrossamerica

Quote:
I've grown up in an area that closes its school when we get 1/2 in of snow... so any amount over that is a lot to me.
It generally takes a full 6 inches to get the schools closed. We just had a 2 incher three days ago. Plan on winter with the possibility of snow from November 1 to May 1 and having the heat on in the house from the end of August until the end of June. It is a fun place to live. Also no matter where you live with rare exception plan on driving an hour to get to the next place you wish to visit. Even in Laconia one must drive a distance to find all of the things one needs to live properly. And the more rural you get the further away one is from stuff.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:38 AM   #15
bruinsfan

Watch out for those "livn on that Walmart side of the lake!"
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bruinsfan For This Useful Post:
pondguy (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 05:31 AM   #16
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrossamerica View Post
It generally takes a full 6 inches to get the schools closed.
Is this true? Curious is it like a rule somewhere? I feel like over the last 2-3 years the schools have gotten a lot more trigger happy on calling it a snow day.. They were cancelling school days before we even got snow this year.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 05:59 AM   #17
GBGX2

Default Tax Rate Considerations

Before making any decisions, I would check this out:

http://www.joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates.aspx

The difference from town to town is very significant!
GBGX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GBGX2 For This Useful Post:
mcdude (05-02-2016), SAMIAM (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 07:40 AM   #18
Pontoon Goon

It may be putting your life on hold but maybe it would make sense to rent for a year. Researching communities, homes and church's on line is a good start but nothing will give you a true lay of the land like living in it. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Pontoon Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:08 AM   #19
codeman671

Quote:
It generally takes a full 6 inches to get the schools closed. We just had a 2 incher three days ago. Plan on winter with the possibility of snow from November 1 to May 1 and having the heat on in the house from the end of August until the end of June. It is a fun place to live. Also no matter where you live with rare exception plan on driving an hour to get to the next place you wish to visit. Even in Laconia one must drive a distance to find all of the things one needs to live properly. And the more rural you get the further away one is from stuff.
What part of the country do you live in?

Our heat usually doesn't go on until late October/November. August is still one of the warmer months of the year! June? Cant recall the last time I ran my heat in June.

This late in the season the schools are usually reluctant to add on more snow days unless absolutely necessary as they have typically used up their allotment and would only be tacking on added days to their calendar. On the seacoast we usually see cancellations if there is 3-4 inches with the threat of more, although slush/ice days can me called for a lot less.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #20
Oregonrain

So true, we plan on doing that too. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontoon Goon View Post
It may be putting your life on hold but maybe it would make sense to rent for a year. Researching communities, homes and church's on line is a good start but nothing will give you a true lay of the land like living in it. Best of luck with whatever you decide.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:47 AM   #21
Oregonrain

I'm currently living in the Willamette Valley in Oregon where we get more rain than anything. We say of our rain what you say of your snow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
What part of the country do you live in?

Our heat usually doesn't go on until late October/November. August is still one of the warmer months of the year! June? Cant recall the last time I ran my heat in June.

This late in the season the schools are usually reluctant to add on more snow days unless absolutely necessary as they have typically used up their allotment and would only be tacking on added days to their calendar. On the seacoast we usually see cancellations if there is 3-4 inches with the threat of more, although slush/ice days can me called for a lot less.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 AM   #22
Woodsy

I would rent for year.....

I think renting for a year is great advice... you will figure out fairly quickly where you want to be in the area.

Until you get here, its all conjecture as to what you prefer.

Woodsy
Old 05-02-2016, 12:18 PM   #23
codeman671

Quote:
I'm currently living in the Willamette Valley in Oregon where we get more rain than anything. We say of our rain what you say of your snow.
I was actually picking on Acrossamerica
Old 05-02-2016, 02:06 PM   #24
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Good vs Less good neighborhoods

This is all NH. All of NH remains as one of the safest states in the country. Whether you are downtown in Laconia or Wolfeboro, "downtown" is a pretty small area. Remember that in NH "city" is a form of government, not an indicator of population or services. If you want to install ham radio antennas, and need space for guy wires, you probably won't be in a close-in neighborhood, more like an acre+ lots or more. While there may not be a homeowners association, some subdivisions have formal covenants that some things are restricted. In my neighborhood, mostly one acre lots, covenants deal with minimum house size, and maximum garage size. No horses or cows. My neighbor had a pretty tall ham tower. Probably easier to look for a site on a hill instead of the valley we're in. In any event, I suspect you will find many more criteria for home selection than good or bad neighborhood, at least by the more typical image of neighborhood. And if you want to walk around at night, get a nice flashlight. Lots of areas in NH don't have street lights.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 03:58 PM   #25
Acrossamerica

You have not mentioned two other vital aspects of a move to NH. If you are not already retired or have a decent trust fund (NH has lots of these folks) then jobs are not plentiful in other than the lower wage categories.

Secondly, though politics is not a subject appreciated on this forum, coming from liberal Oregon you if you are of that bent may find the western side of NH more to your liking. Although the lakes region does attack many from Mass and CT with thier ideas on how the rest of us should live our lives.

Your idea of renting for a year is an excellent idea. Nothing worse than finding out that it was not a good fit after buying and finding out exiting usually takes a year or more to find a buyer.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:11 PM   #26
greeleyhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBGX2 View Post
Before making any decisions, I would check this out:

http://www.joeshimkus.com/NH-Tax-Rates.aspx

The difference from town to town is very significant!
Don't be fooled by tax rates. What you pay each year is driven by two things, your tax rate and property assessment or valuation. You may live in a town with high tax rates but low valuations, or a high tax rate and low valuations. Do your homework and get both.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:52 PM   #27
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Don't be fooled by tax rates. What you pay each year is driven by two things, your tax rate and property assessment or valuation. You may live in a town with high tax rates but low valuations, or a high tax rate and low valuations. Do your homework and get both.
You do understand how property value is assessed... right?
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #28
DesertDweller

Not sure I would agree with the post about assessed value either. Most of the towns around the lake keep the equalization ratio (i.e. the assessed value to market value) pretty close to 100 percent. At least that is my experience when looking at homes anyway. In terms of Laconia, their property tax rate is far and away the highest in the towns surrounding the lake. At 22.2 it is almost 2.5 times that of Moultonborough. I looked at a lot of properties in Laconia but paying almost $9,000 in property taxes for a $400,000 home scared me away.

You should also factor in some of the towns, like Laconia, you will also have a separate water/sewer bill as well. There are a lot of positives to being on public water/sewer but it does come at a cost.

I would agree with the rental concept. If you are truly looking to be on the outskirts, Moultonborough, Tuftonboro, parts of Meredith, and some other areas would be the way to go in my opinion.
DesertDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DesertDweller For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (05-02-2016), Oregonrain (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 07:06 PM   #29
GBGX2

Default Not fooled......

There is no question that assessment plays into the equation, but it is far more driven by tax rate......

See:http://revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/munic...2014-local.pdf (the latest grand list totals that I could find)

Alton: $1,518,990,817.00 Tax Rate $13.85
Wolfeboro: $2,013,269,984 Tax Rate $13.01
Gilford: $1,571,339,584 Tax Rate $18.30
Laconia: $1,815,646,944 Tax Rate $22.40

Assuming you purchase comparable properties in any of the above referenced towns... your property taxes will be significantly different.

Quote:
Oregonrain (05-02-2016), Readzo (05-13-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #30
bclaker

Default Ham Radio

I believe there is a ham radio repeater on Belknap Mountain in Gilford near the Gunstock Ski Area. There is a local Amateur Radio Club in the area.
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bclaker For This Useful Post:
Oregonrain (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 07:41 PM   #31
Oregonrain

oh...lol...ok

Quote:
I was actually picking on Acrossamerica
Old 05-02-2016, 07:44 PM   #32
Oregonrain

We are the opposite of liberal. We're very conservative and don't generally get involved in politics.

Quote:
You have not mentioned two other vital aspects of a move to NH. If you are not already retired or have a decent trust fund (NH has lots of these folks) then jobs are not plentiful in other than the lower wage categories.

Secondly, though politics is not a subject appreciated on this forum, coming from liberal Oregon you if you are of that bent may find the western side of NH more to your liking. Although the lakes region does attack many from Mass and CT with thier ideas on how the rest of us should live our lives.

Your idea of renting for a year is an excellent idea. Nothing worse than finding out that it was not a good fit after buying and finding out exiting usually takes a year or more to find a buyer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oregonrain For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (05-06-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:01 PM   #33
8gv

Quote:
We are the opposite of liberal. We're very conservative and don't generally get involved in politics.
Well then, hurry the hell up! We need you.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
beantownbaby (05-06-2016), bruinsfan (05-03-2016), Oregonrain (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:35 AM   #34
ApS

Cool Finding "Paradise"...

Quote:
Take a look at Alton. It is centrally located in that within 20 minutes you can be in Laconia, Wolfeboro or Rochester which gives you access to 3 hospitals. Less crime and drugs and lower taxes helps too. They probably don't have the church affiliation you are looking for but again within 20 minutes you can probably choose from a few.
I think the church you are looking for is in Rochester—not that far from Alton—a good choice.

I took eight years to find my "Paradise" place (in Florida), and only discovered it after renting a place a mile away. While you are renting, take the opportunity to go to yard sales, and ask lots of questions about the area. Folks who are selling their homes—and moving away—can be very helpful.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:52 AM   #35
fatlazyless

The www.laconialibrary.org, Laconia's free-to-use by anyone public library is the only library around that has a $600/yr subscription to the Value Line investment survey. Something which the libraries in all the other towns do not get.

Another super duper Laconia place-to-be is the Saint Vincent dePaul Store which is next to McDonald's.

Laconia also has a brand new middle school, and a new three story high vocational-technical school building next to their high school.

Laconia has a NH State College, www.lrcc.edu

Laconia has a large local hospital, www.lrgh.org

Laconia has a huge car dealer, www.irwinzone.com, and a huge boat dealer, www.irwinmarine.com

Laconia has a huge hardware store, Moe's Hardware, where they sell a huge variety of nails and fasteners by the pound or quarter pound, and by the single item.

Laconia has a Wal-Mart what with the recent store expansion that actually moved the store entrance across the border from Gilford to Laconia.

Laconia has the www.wowtrail.org which will be a nine mile long, waterfront multi-use bicycle/walking trail, stretching all the way from Meredith to Belmont as it winds through Weirs Beach-Lakeport-Laconia, along the Lake Winnipesaukee waterfront on the big lake embankment next to the railroad tracks.

So's Laconia has lots of positive energy all over the city and it is currently renovating the huge downtown movie theatre which should be really something.

Laconia also has a police department with something like 40-officers so you better watch your speed, and don't use your hand held cell phone for talking or texting when driving in Laconia....not that anyone does that anymore.......ho-ho-ho!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-03-2016 at 07:46 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
bruinsfan (05-03-2016), DBreskin (05-03-2016), laketrout (05-09-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 08:37 AM   #36
MeredithMan

Default Not following....

Quote:

Although the lakes region does attack many from Mass and CT with thier ideas on how the rest of us should live our lives.

Not following your point....is "attack" meant to be "attract", or are you suggesting that people from MA and CT are "attacked" by people in the lakes region? Also, I'm a MA native. Lived in CT for 7 yrs, and now live back in MA. I can't speak for other MA or CT people, but I've never told anyone, anywhere, how to live their life. I do not follow your point.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:52 AM   #37
diz

Default Main St.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
The www.laconialibrary.org, Laconia's free-to-use by anyone public library is the only library around that has a $600/yr subscription to the Value Line investment survey. Something which the libraries in all the other towns do not get.

Another super duper Laconia place-to-be is the Saint Vincent dePaul Store which is next to McDonald's.

Laconia also has a brand new middle school, and a new three story high vocational-technical school building next to their high school.

Laconia has a NH State College, www.lrcc.edu

Laconia has a large local hospital, www.lrgh.org

Laconia has a huge car dealer, www.irwinzone.com, and a huge boat dealer, www.irwinmarine.com

Laconia has a huge hardware store, Moe's Hardware, where they sell a huge variety of nails and fasteners by the pound or quarter pound, and by the single item.

Laconia has a Wal-Mart what with the recent store expansion that actually moved the store entrance across the border from Gilford to Laconia.

Laconia has the www.wowtrail.org which will be a nine mile long, waterfront multi-use bicycle/walking trail, stretching all the way from Meredith to Belmont as it winds through Weirs Beach-Lakeport-Laconia, along the Lake Winnipesaukee waterfront on the big lake embankment next to the railroad tracks.

So's Laconia has lots of positive energy all over the city and it is currently renovating the huge downtown movie theatre which should be really something.

Laconia also has a police department with something like 40-officers so you better watch your speed, and don't use your hand held cell phone for talking or texting when driving in Laconia....not that anyone does that anymore.......ho-ho-ho!
Don't forget Wayfarer Coffee. And there's a butcher/seafood shop coming to Main St.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diz For This Useful Post:
windsail (05-23-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #38
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeredithMan View Post
Not following your point....is "attack" meant to be "attract", or are you suggesting that people from MA and CT are "attacked" by people in the lakes region? Also, I'm a MA native. Lived in CT for 7 yrs, and now live back in MA. I can't speak for other MA or CT people, but I've never told anyone, anywhere, how to live their life. I do not follow your point.

I'll take a stab here and say I think his point is NH is becoming a lot more of a "Massachusetts" like state.

I for one will say NH is no longer "Live Free or Die"
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winnisquamer For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #39
sum-r breeze

Default Some other things to think about....

Quote:
There is no question that assessment plays into the equation, but it is far more driven by tax rate......

See:http://revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/munic...2014-local.pdf (the latest grand list totals that I could find)

Alton: $1,518,990,817.00 Tax Rate $13.85
Wolfeboro: $2,013,269,984 Tax Rate $13.01
Gilford: $1,571,339,584 Tax Rate $18.30
Laconia: $1,815,646,944 Tax Rate $22.40

Assuming you purchase comparable properties in any of the above referenced towns... your property taxes will be significantly different.
Some of the positive things you pay for with your Laconia taxes are
#1 FULL TIME FIRE DEPARTMENT
#2 FULLY STAFFED POLICE DEPARTMENT
#3 LAKES REGION GENERAL HOSPITAL RIGHT IN TOWN
#4 LACONIA WATER AND SEWER SERVICE
#5 FULL TIME STAFF AT LACONIA CITY HALL
#6 WEEKLY TRASH PICK UP WITH RECYCLING-NO NEED TO GO TO THE DUMP
#7 GREAT CITY WIDE SNOW PLOWING

So when someone rips Laconia in such a way they might want to consider some of what's offered in the line of services before painting with such a broad brush. We have friends at Southdown Shores who have paradise in Laconia as do the people who live at the "Meredith Bay" community that is in Laconia also.
The Akwa Vista Marina and beach bar complex has that upscale destination feel to it every time we visit. We love Laconia

The Breeze
Wave 'cuz I'll be wavin' back
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sum-r breeze For This Useful Post:
diz (05-03-2016), greeleyhill (05-03-2016), joey2665 (05-04-2016), laketrout (05-09-2016), thinkxingu (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #40
Billy Bob

a very busy police department at that . and the hospital can handle any second amendment issue you bring .
Seriously you are talking apples and oranges here , total difference in lifestyle and surroundings between Laconia and say Wolfboro.
Laconia is a old textile /shoe manufacturing city that never fully recovered economically when that business moved south . Places like Wolfboro are the old summer home areas where the marriotts and Mitt hang today . you have to come and see this and decide yourself
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 06:04 PM   #41
GBGX2

Default I think not.....

Sum-r Breeze:

To be clear, my post was not intended to “rip” Laconia…. However, it is beyond disingenuous to imply that the towns of Wolfeboro, Gilford and Alton provide fewer or less "positive" services to their residents than Laconia does.

I can assure you that ALL the folks listed below have their citizens’ best interests at heart, just as the employees at the City of Laconia do.

If folks are interested, they can find the facts as it pertains to the specific points that you brought up below.

#1. Fire Department:
http://www.gilfordnh.org/towncloud/staff/-8
http://www.alton.nh.gov/government/fire-department
http://www.wolfeboronh.us/Pages/WolfeboroNH_Fire/staff

#2. Police Department:
http://www.gilfordpd.org/towncloud/staff/-24
http://www.alton.nh.gov/site-page/al...lice-personnel
http://www.wolfeboronh.us/Pages/Wolf...lice/personnel

#3. All areas are served by several hospitals in the area… as to Wolfeboro; their hospital is in their back yard.
https://www.hugginshospital.org/
http://www.frisbiehospital.com/

#4. Water:
http://www.gilfordnh.org/towncloud/entity/-29
http://www.alton.nh.gov/government/water-works
http://www.wolfeboronh.us/Pages/WolfeboroNH_Water/index

#5. Town Hall Hours of operation: ALL full time staff
http://www.gilfordnh.org/towncloud/entity/-3
http://www.alton.nh.gov/site-page/hours-operation
http://www.wolfeboronh.us/pages/wolfeboronh_clerk/index

#6. Going to the dump is a New Hampshire tradition…. Too bad that the citizens of Laconia are missing out on such a great weekly experience! ALL offer recycling programs.

#7. …. I think ALL towns in NH enjoy hard working road crews who do a great job of providing service year round!

Broad brush strokes go both ways.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post

So when someone rips Laconia in such a way they might want to consider some of what's offered in the line of services before painting with such a broad brush. We have friends at Southdown Shores who have paradise in Laconia as do the people who live at the "Meredith Bay" community that is in Laconia also.
The Akwa Vista Marina and beach bar complex has that upscale destination feel to it every time we visit. We love Laconia

The Breeze
secondcurve (05-04-2016), windsail (05-23-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 06:45 PM   #42
Outdoorsman

Quote:

The Breeze
All that was pointed out was the substantial difference in tax rates between towns around the lake. Laconia is ~$9.39 per $1000 higher than Wolfboro... (translates to about ~75% higher).

To get back to the OP's question, you did point out a nice area of Laconia, Southdown Shores. It fits the "outskirts" part of the question but unfortunately that is an association (?) so they would not be allowed an antenna for a ham radio??
Old 05-03-2016, 06:46 PM   #43
sum-r breeze

Default Point taken

Quote:
Sum-r Breeze:

To be clear, my post was not intended to “rip” Laconia…. However, it is beyond disingenuous to imply that the towns of Wolfeboro, Gilford and Alton provide fewer or less "positive" services to their residents than Laconia does.

I can assure you that ALL the folks listed below have their citizens’ best interests at heart, just as the employees at the City of Laconia do.

If folks are interested, they can find the facts as it pertains to the specific points that you brought up below.

#1. Fire Department:
http://www.gilfordnh.org/towncloud/staff/-8
http://www.alton.nh.gov/government/fire-department
http://www.wolfeboronh.us/Pages/WolfeboroNH_Fire/staff

#2. Police Department:
http://www.gilfordpd.org/towncloud/staff/-24
http://www.alton.nh.gov/site-page/al...lice-personnel
http://www.wolfeboronh.us/Pages/Wolf...lice/personnel

#3. All areas are served by several hospitals in the area… as to Wolfeboro; their hospital is in their back yard.
https://www.hugginshospital.org/
http://www.frisbiehospital.com/

#4. Water:
http://www.gilfordnh.org/towncloud/entity/-29
http://www.alton.nh.gov/government/water-works
http://www.wolfeboronh.us/Pages/WolfeboroNH_Water/index

#5. Town Hall Hours of operation: ALL full time staff
http://www.gilfordnh.org/towncloud/entity/-3
http://www.alton.nh.gov/site-page/hours-operation
http://www.wolfeboronh.us/pages/wolfeboronh_clerk/index

#6. Going to the dump is a New Hampshire tradition…. Too bad that the citizens of Laconia are missing out on such a great weekly experience! ALL offer recycling programs.

#7. …. I think ALL towns in NH enjoy hard working road crews who do a great job of providing service year round!

Broad brush strokes go both ways.......
So your own fire links tell the story I was trying to get across. There are a bunch of "on call" firefighters listed in all three links you posted and I know some of the guys (very dedicated) but it's not the same as full time in the station firefighters. I never implied the other towns had any lesser quality services but was more explaining why WE bought in town.

The Breeze
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sum-r breeze For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 07:30 PM   #44
greeleyhill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorsman View Post
You do understand how property value is assessed... right?
Ahh - wild guess? My property was assessed by the town at 68.9% of the market value as determined by my bank...and no....that doesn't mean I overpaid for my home. The bank does a far more thorough job of comparing like properties, after all, they are on the hook if the owner stops paying and defaults on the loan. They're not going to write a mortgage for $500k when the property is only worth $300k. The town can change valuations MUCH easier than they do the tax rate - which is a very public decision.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:43 PM   #45
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Ahh - wild guess? My property was assessed by the town at 68.9% of the market value as determined by my bank...and no....that doesn't mean I overpaid for my home. The bank does a far more thorough job of comparing like properties, after all, they are on the hook if the owner stops paying and defaults on the loan. They're not going to write a mortgage for $500k when the property is only worth $300k. The town can change valuations MUCH easier than they do the tax rate - which is a very public decision.
I never suggested that you over paid for your lot. I just said you need to understand property ASSESSMENT. I stand by that statement after reading your quote above.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:24 PM   #46
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
With all due respect and acknowledging that everyone is entitled to their own opinion: I own properties in both Gilford and Laconia and I am much more satisfied with Gilford and the employees of the town of Gilford when comparing it to Laconia.

1. I really don't care whether the fire department is full time or part time. I was a call firefighter for 25 years in a town that did 1,200 runs per year and the difference is that we were there to do the job, not because there was a job. A totally different attitude.

2. The police department is made up of individuals and their dedication is predicated upon the management and the personnel. That can change over time.

3. There are mixed reviews about LRGH and many parts of Gilford and Belmont have better, faster access than If someone was actually in Laconia.

4. I have lake water and town sewer in Gilford and it is much less expensive than my Laconia bills. If Gilford offered town water I wouldn't take it because of the additional cost. I would put in a well if I didn't have access to the lake.

5. Gilford town hall has a full time staff and they are the best I have ever dealt with. The Laconia City Hall is staffed with people, many of whom who think they are doing you a favor to be there. The Gilford Town Hall is staffed with people who are pleased to help in any way they can. A huge difference in attitude and effort there.

6. The minimal amount I pay for trash pickup is more than offset by the substantial savings in real estate taxes.

7. .................I hear the snow plowing is good but I am pleased to be elsewhere when it snows!

Again, everyone has their own experiences and opinions and they may be different.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 05-04-2016 at 09:49 AM.
TiltonBB is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (05-04-2016), ishoot308 (05-04-2016), Oregonrain (05-04-2016), secondcurve (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 AM   #47
wifi

Quote:

#6. Going to the dump is a New Hampshire tradition….
BTW, most towns have rebranded "the dump" as a transfer station, have to be PC these days.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
GBGX2 (05-04-2016), secondcurve (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 05:38 AM   #48
secondcurve

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
BTW, most towns have rebranded "the dump" as a transfer station, have to be PC these days.
True, but Donald will be fixing that PC stuff in Nivember
The Following User Says Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #49
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
Even "transfer station" isn't as PC as it should be.
In Moultonborough we have a Resource Reclamation Center
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 09:58 AM   #50
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
5. Gilford town hall has a full time staff and they are the best I have ever dealt with. The Laconia City Hall is staffed with people, many of whom who think they are doing you a favor to be there. The Gilford Town Hall is staffed with people who are pleased to help in any way they can. A huge difference in attitude and effort there.
Couldn't agree more with this! The Gilford town hall people are a real pleasure to work with! They go out of their way to help folks out!

Dan
Oregonrain (05-04-2016), TiltonBB (05-04-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 09:33 PM   #51
Tundra

"Although the lakes region does attack many from Mass and CT with thier ideas on how the rest of us should live our lives."

We see what you have done to to your home states; that you fled to NH. We're just trying to prevent you from doing the something here, so we don't have to flee too. It's not just MA and CT either, don't forget NY too
Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 05:46 AM   #52
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
"We see what you have done to to your home states; that you fled to NH. We're just trying to prevent you from doing the something here, so we don't have to flee too. It's not just MA and CT either, don't forget NY too
I reject this completely--I grew up and work in MA and come to NH purely because MA doesn't have the White Mountains or Winnipesaukee. Were I closer to the Berkshires, Poconos, etc. I would go there.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:42 AM   #53
Billy Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I reject this completely--I grew up and work in MA and come to NH purely because MA doesn't have the White Mountains or Winnipesaukee. Were I closer to the Berkshires, Poconos, etc. I would go there.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk
Agree completely , we go for the lake and mountains but the taxes , roads , government , drug issues , health care , refusal to maintain what you have , are all messed up . Would never think of moving back full time
Great place to visit . Bad place to live
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #54
laketrout

Quote:
2nd Curve. You're painting with a broad-brush. You sound like Peyton Place Gossip hound... LOL where do you hail from? GIC? LOL.. Some who bash Laconia cannot afford to live on or near the water in Laconia.

Live in Wolfeboro? Drugs galore. Domestic violence and unsolved murders. Alton, Guilford, etc... its all the same folks, you just do not see it unless you lived there for awhile.

Yes Laconia has its issues i.e. more people- but most towns on the lake do, you just do not see it, its there and under the surface. If you want a quick police response Laconia is there I live in Long Bay Laconia , 5 minutes; Hospital or ER issue Laconia Fire Dept is there in 5 minutes.

Having lived in the Eastern part of the lake your in trouble by the time the Police/Fire Dept get there in 20 minutes if your far out on a point or less traveled part of town etc..

Laconia has its share of nice properties and views of the lake and is a very enjoyable town; want to eat at more then just 1 or 2 small sometimes seasonal restaurants besides Meredith its Laconia.

Southdown, Longbay, Endicott St, Weirs Blvd and Merdith Bay development are all outside of town and are all very nice $$$communities. I happen to like Laconia, and have no problem taking my kids out to Laconia events.

Last edited by laketrout; 05-09-2016 at 03:46 PM.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to laketrout For This Useful Post:
dykg (05-24-2016), Oregonrain (05-10-2016), windsail (05-23-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 PM   #55
Water Camper

Default Have to disagree

Quote:
We intentionally looked for and found a place in Laconia. For us it's accessibility, availability of stores, restauraunts etc.

Each to their own.

Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Water Camper For This Useful Post:
laketrout (05-09-2016), sum-r breeze (05-09-2016), windsail (05-23-2016)
Old 05-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #56
rsmlp

Default delusional

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/05/health...eroin-tactics/

secondcurve is correct. why would anyone intentionally settle for a drug ridden run down town when there are other excellent options?
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 03:21 PM   #57
laketrout

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/05/health...eroin-tactics/

secondcurve is correct. why would anyone intentionally settle for a drug ridden run down town when there are other excellent options?
I also have a home in the Exeter NH area, not immune from drug problems. Portsmouth NH on the water has its share of drug issues. You must be living under a tree or Naive if you think it's just one town that has issues.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #58
Rusty

Quote:
New Hampshire is the least religious state in the U.S., edging out Vermont in Gallup's 2015 state-by-state analysis.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/189038/ne...ous-state.aspx
Oregonrain (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 03:52 PM   #59
pm203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
"Although the lakes region does attack many from Mass and CT with thier ideas on how the rest of us should live our lives."

We see what you have done to to your home states; that you fled to NH. We're just trying to prevent you from doing the something here, so we don't have to flee too. It's not just MA and CT either, don't forget NY too
Can you imagine the devastation to Laconia or most NH lake front communities without the inflow of Ma money?
pm203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:31 PM   #60
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Can you imagine the devastation to Laconia or most NH lake front communities without the inflow of Ma money?
Oh mi gaud, what about the devastation due to lack of EBT cards, on the US economy, how ridiculous and baiting
Old 05-10-2016, 06:40 PM   #61
Acrossamerica

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm203 View Post
Actually from my observance it is not MA money it is Mom and Dad's money in the form of trust funds. We are arm pit deep in trust fund kids of all ages.
Old 05-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #62
wifi

Quote:
Actually from my observance it is not MA money it is Mom and Dad's money in the form of trust funds. We are arm pit deep in trust fund kids of all ages.
Oh yes, the vast majority kids of these days have no idea on making money, there are some that have made it, the rest rely on inheritance or the expectation of it. We can thank those with the current tail winds of the "I deserve it" and the "someone else has something and I don't". How sick.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:59 PM   #63
windsail

Quote:

I'm by Winnisquam in Laconia, moved here a couple of years ago and love it. Yes the city has problems (so does everywhere) I read about them in the paper as well problems in other smaller towns. It does have great people, things to do, restaurants, it's affordable, has good doctors, but if you don't like the hospital it's close to 93 to get Concord or Plymouth . Downtown is changing, new stores, gyms, yoga, coffee shops, a mall, great library, lots of churches. There are areas I would not buy in, but lots of great places to live with water assess. Good luck
windsail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to windsail For This Useful Post:
diz (05-24-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #64
GodSmile

Default We've been scouting the area too

Looking to move in a year or two... have driven by many properties and reviewed a lot more online. All things being equal Laconia seems to be significantly higher on property taxes. Since this will be our retirement place, that's a factor. Until we retire I will need to commute back to MA for work, and so prefer to stay away from the North side of the lake.
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote