Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2006, 09:02 PM   #1
JasonG

Default Does Winnipesaukee Have A "Sister" Lake in Warmer Climates?

My only drawback to Winnipesaukee is the limited amount of time you can boat on it during the year. Does anyone know of any lake, similar is size, activities, things to do, populated, etc in warmer climated that you can enjoy longer?
Thanks!
Jason
JasonG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 09:27 PM   #2
Cal

Could always try Smith Mountain Lake Va. where "What about Bob?" was filmed It was filmed there after Labor Day crowds were gone because it was supposed to be summer and the leaves had already begun to change in NH.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
fatlazyless

Default sister lake of Winni.....

If you google Winnipesaukee & the Sea of Galilee, you'll get a website concerning their relationship. The Sea of Galilee is a fresh water lake in northern Israel on the Israel-Jordan border and its' being called a sea has a biblical origin. It is in fact a fresh water lake and the largest source of water in Israel and compares in size to Winnipesaukee. There's a document on display in Meredith Town Hall that designates the two lakes as sister lakes from aprox 1993.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 11:00 PM   #4
JasonG

Cool to know, but not what I had in mind.

I am actually looking to move to a lake front property in warmer climates. However it is a tall order to fill for any lake to compare themselves to Winni. Looking at Keowee in SC or Norman in NC.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:13 PM   #5
george b

What about Lake Meade? Check it out.
george b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-2006, 12:35 AM   #6
JasonG

What state?
Old 05-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #7
onthebay

Default Southern Lakes

Meade is just outside Las Vegas.
I have been looking at Keowee for a while too. Only through the web. I signed up on some realtor sites and receive updates on what is available. Have you ever been down there? My wife is more interested in the beach so we might go for something on the intracoastal down below Myrtle Beach. There is one more lake up the on that lake string, Jocasse which is supposed to be even nicer. It is surrounded by mountains similar to Lake Winni and also has the cold water runoff and waterfalls entering the lake. Since all the lakes in that string are controlled by Duke Power you are at the mercy of the hydro plants.
onthebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #8
ApS

Smile Three lakes in "warmer climates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG
Cool to know, but not what I had in mind.

I am actually looking to move to a lake front property in warmer climates. However it is a tall order to fill for any lake to compare themselves to Winni. Looking at Keowee in SC or Norman in NC.

Any thoughts?
There are a lot of professional baseball players buying on SC's Keowee. 'Must be good.

I drive past Lake Norman every year to arrive at Lake Winnipesaukee. Here, the boating season is "short" and the cold water temperature discourages...um...trouble.

Although it's a "dry" county, drunken behavior plagues Lake Norman:

http://charlotte.bizjournals.com/cha...16/focus4.html

Missouri's Lake of the Ozarks is another lake exploding with growth. Visit there -- especially by boat -- and you'll see that Lake Winnipesaukee is Truly Blessed!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
HomeWood

What about Bob was not filmed on Winni? All these years I thought it was. I always kind of thought that the scenery and back ground really never looked like the lake, but then again I have not yet seen ALL of the lake. We have some nice lakes around here, but most do not allow homes on them and the water has a red tint from the clay, YUCK.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #10
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

...speaking of sister lakes...how about Lake Winnepesaukah in Georgia???
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 03:37 PM   #11
Hermit Cover

Default Virginia, Carolina lakes

Smith Mountain Lake is very nice and very popular....though somewhat difficult to get to homesites....drive off county roads down long shared driveways and then way back out to the country roads to get back down to the lake to get to homes relatively close to the other drive. Lake Gaston is also a similar lake on the Virginia - North Carolina border. Both lakes are reservoirs created by dams on what was once rural farmland. Heavy rains will tend to muddy the waters. Very hard to find a lake like our Winni....even with the shorter season for boating....very close to paradise.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 10:48 AM   #12
Eki

In Arizona,

Lake Havasu in Arizona is spring break central (while winni is still an ice cube)
And there is also Lake Pleasant
Eki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 10:27 AM   #13
Joanna16

Lake Norman is beautiful. I think you'd really enjoy it. Good Luck
Joanna16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
feb

Default Why are Southern lakes so muddy?

I've been following this thread due to some interest in someday moving South. But when I start looking at website about lakes in the South, I only see pictures of brownish water. Why are these lakes so "dirty". The clarity of NH lakes are a 1000% better than what I've seen so far.

Maybe I've seen too many horror movies and need to see what I'm about to jump in, or ON!
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #15
OFD232

Default Rain Rain Rain AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

If the rain keeps up the lake will extend to South Carolina so we can boat all year just watch out for ice floes towards NEW york
Old 06-07-2006, 02:34 PM   #16
Hermit Cover

Default Muddy Waters....

Perhaps the main reason the southern "lakes" are frequently muddy is that these bodies of water are actually reservoirs created by companies such as the Tennessee Valley Authority, creating enrgy producing dams and thereby flooding land whch was primarily pastureland and wooded acres. When it rains the runoff is mainly mud....therefore....

Real lakes like those of the North and Northeast were created by glacial activity many, many years ago....before television and MacDonalds and Starbucks.
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #17
VADET

Default Other southern lakes

Granted Winnipesaukee is hard to beat but Deep Creek Maryland is a very nice lake. True the water is not as clear and its not quit as big buts its as close as I can get since I moved south. They actually get a substantial amount of snow in the winter and the summer weather can stretch into Oct.
http://www.fishdeepcreek.com/
VADET is offline   Reply With Quote