Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #1
Momofthreema

Default Best Place to Buy for 350k

Hi All,
We are planning to buy second home in the winnepesaukee area this winter. We want a single family home with easy lake access(nearby boat launch, beach, marina). We plan to ski in the winter, so we would like to be within 30 minutes of gunstock.
Any ideas on neighborhoods that would fit the bill?
Thanks!
Momofthreema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofthreema View Post
Hi All,
We are planning to buy second home in the winnepesaukee area this winter. We want a single family home with easy lake access(nearby boat launch, beach, marina). We plan to ski in the winter, so we would like to be within 30 minutes of gunstock.
Any ideas on neighborhoods that would fit the bill?
Thanks!
Taxes will vary greatly so you may be able to up your budget if you bought in Moultonborough over Gilford for example because of the tax difference.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
Momofthreema

Good point on the taxes, though it looks like Gilford is about 25 minutes closer to home, so something to consider. Thanks!
Old 09-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #4
Susie Cougar

Have you looked in Gunstock Acres in Gilford?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 02:06 PM   #5
Cindido

Default Alton

Check Alton real estate. Lower taxes (compared to Gilford)and close to Gunstock.
Cindido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2020, 03:56 PM   #6
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
Have you looked in Gunstock Acres in Gilford?
Thanks! We did a brief drive through, we will have to check it out again. I can’t seem to find any pictures of the beach...so it just makes me a little nervous.
Is there a reason why Gilford taxes are higher than other towns in the area?
Old 09-29-2020, 05:28 PM   #7
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Thanks! We did a brief drive through, we will have to check it out again. I can’t seem to find any pictures of the beach...so it just makes me a little nervous.
Taxes are usually a direct result of school systems, and available public services such as sewer, town water, trash collection, etc.
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 05:37 PM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Property (town) taxes in N.H. are based largely on property valuations. Therefore a town with miles and miles of waterfront, such as Moultonborough, have lower taxes because the tax base is so high, with owners of large waterfront properties paying a large percentage of the town taxes. Non- resident waterfront owners have the pleasure of paying big bucks, but are not able to vote at local elections.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
DotRat (09-30-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #9
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Property (town) taxes in N.H. are based largely on property valuations. Therefore a town with miles and miles of waterfront, such as Moultonborough, have lower taxes because the tax base is so high, with owners of large waterfront properties paying a large percentage of the town taxes. Non- resident waterfront owners have the pleasure of paying big bucks, but are not able to vote at local elections.
That makes a lot of sense, thanks. I know my local community inside and out, so I’m just trying to figure out the lay of the land by the lakes.
Old 09-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
gillygirl

Quote:

Not sure about the beach for Gunstock Acres, but as a Gilford resident, you would have access to Gilford Town Beach, the best on the lake, imho.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Momofthreema (10-14-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 07:35 PM   #11
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Gilford has a fairly large tax base however the town has a no expense spared attitude. Next door Alton also has a good tax base with a lot of waterfront but the voters have a long history of being frugal. Hence a lower tax rate in Alton.

BTW, welcome to the Forum.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:44 PM   #12
Momofthreema

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
Gilford has a fairly large tax base however the town has a no expense spared attitude. Next door Alton also has a good tax base with a lot of waterfront but the voters have a long history of being frugal. Hence a lower tax rate in Alton.

BTW, welcome to the Forum.
Thank you! I find that local people are the best way to find out about a town. I really appreciate the info!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:36 AM   #13
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Lots of info on Gunstock Acres including a photo of the beach.

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/real...56912a4c4.html
Attached Images

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (09-30-2020), Momofthreema (10-02-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 09:42 AM   #14
camp guy

Default Best Place to Buy...

What Sue Doe-Nym says is correct, and I would only add that the property of a Town is basically either private residential, or commercial. If a Town is fortunate enough to have a meaningful commercial base it will significantly reduce the impact on the private residential owners. Comparing bottom-line tax bills between Towns doesn't always represent an apples-to-apples picture, even though the money may be very close. A lot of undeveloped space may mean future housing, which may mean additional school children, which may mean additional taxes.

It is good that Momofthreema knows her community well because that will help when making decisions that involve taxes.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
Momofthreema (10-02-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 10:30 AM   #15
Lakes Region Guy

All of the responses have been great. However, I would like to add a couple of suggestions. I have lived in Moultonborough for over 50 years both as a non- resident and now as a resident. Our tax rate is the lowest in the lakes region as previously mentioned, however, we also have some of the higher housing purchase prices. Is it worth having to spend an additional $25 -50K to get a lower tax rate? My other point I wanted to add is that Belknap county residents used to and hopefully still do get a discount for skiing Gunstock. Moultonborough is in Carroll County and not Belknap thus do not get any discounts. I hope other forum members can verify this. In any event, anywhere you chose up here will be wonderful.
Lakes Region Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakes Region Guy For This Useful Post:
Momofthreema (10-02-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #16
magicrobotmonkey

I'm getting a season pass at gunstock as a Belknap resident for the third year now and haven't seen a discount. That said, there is a Belknap county night where night skiing is either half price or buy one get one, so that might be whats left of the Belknap discount...
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:07 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakes Region Guy View Post
All of the responses have been great. However, I would like to add a couple of suggestions. I have lived in Moultonborough for over 50 years both as a non- resident and now as a resident. Our tax rate is the lowest in the lakes region as previously mentioned, however, we also have some of the higher housing purchase prices. Is it worth having to spend an additional $25 -50K to get a lower tax rate? My other point I wanted to add is that Belknap county residents used to and hopefully still do get a discount for skiing Gunstock. Moultonborough is in Carroll County and not Belknap thus do not get any discounts. I hope other forum members can verify this. In any event, anywhere you chose up here will be wonderful.
Moultonborough houses are more expensive to purchase than other towns?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:50 AM   #18
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicrobotmonkey View Post
I'm getting a season pass at gunstock as a Belknap resident for the third year now and haven't seen a discount. That said, there is a Belknap county night where night skiing is either half price or buy one get one, so that might be whats left of the Belknap discount...
Belknap County Days are scheduled at least monthly during the winter season and summer season. County Residents can purchase discount tickets for venues and activities at Gunstock or by “Flex” passes at a reduced rate which allows them special discounts on many goods and serviced. Belknap County Days are held at least monthly during each operating season.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #19
Momofthreema

Thanks everyone, this is all super helpful info as we start our search!
Old 10-07-2020, 09:08 AM   #20
lakegirl2020

We bought our home in Gunstock Acres in June and love it. Beach is small but nice. There is a picnic area and place to keep paddleboard as or kayak, and restroom facilities. Basketball and tennis courts also available for use.
Gilford beach is nearby and with sticker residents can use. Swim area there is much bigger.
Location is great for us as it’s not our primary residence but an easy ride up 93. Close enough to the chaos of Laconia/weirs but far enough to feel secluded if that’s what your looking for.
Good luck in your search
lakegirl2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lakegirl2020 For This Useful Post:
Momofthreema (10-14-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #21
map

Weirs Beach Village - the balance of new construction homes are all pending, but there are a couple of resales. You’ll pay way less than 350k.

Last edited by map; 10-11-2020 at 03:44 PM.
map is offline   Reply With Quote