Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #1
Bear Island South

Default Boating Accident-Maine

This guy is a real winner, check out the story and the picture of where the boat ended up.

http://www.wcsh6.com/news/local/stor...105097&catid=2
Attached Images

Bear Island South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #2
4Fun

"Missed it by that much"
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
VtSteve

Looks like a good, strong hull. Pushed a tree or two aside. Luckily, those first trees weren't real big ones
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
OCDACTIVE

In the very first line it states:

"charged with Operating Under the Influence"

I wonder how long it will take for that piece is forgotten and a new bill will be proposed in the Maine Legislature...
Old 05-26-2009, 06:16 PM   #5
bigRazor

Won't be long and we'll have mandatory selt belt and helmet boating laws...
bigRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2009, 06:22 PM   #6
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRazor View Post

Very true.. And with all the new laws that will stop all the crazys out there. Always has worked in the past...
Old 05-26-2009, 06:43 PM   #7
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigRazor View Post
In this case the helmet and seat belt would have been a good idea.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:25 AM   #8
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Island South View Post
In this case the helmet and seat belt would have been a good idea.
OK, done deal. Helmets and belts. But don't forget to add a rider, that boaters must wear the little red cap whenever on the water, underneath the helmet.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:31 AM   #9
ITD

Now this guy was moving, and very, very lucky...
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:32 AM   #10
OCDACTIVE

Very true.. They better get some legislation going.. That would have stopped him.
Old 05-27-2009, 06:53 AM   #11
Turtle Boy

Some of you just can't seem to give up on this topic...no matter what the thread, it always keeps coming back to last year's perceived infringement of your rights to live free or die. yawn
Turtle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:23 AM   #12
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Boy View Post
Some of you just can't seem to give up on this topic...no matter what the thread, it always keeps coming back to last year's perceived infringement of your rights to live free or die. yawn
Speaking of yawning...

You've made 65 posts to this site. Please post a link to 3 that were not part of a speed limit debate. That's only around 5%; should not be too hard coming from someone who claims other people "can't seem to give up on this topic".
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:22 AM   #13
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Speaking of yawning...

You've made 65 posts to this site. Please post a link to 3 that were not part of a speed limit debate. That's only around 5%; should not be too hard coming from someone who claims other people "can't seem to give up on this topic".
Beat me to it Dave.We have a couple of members that only post on the SL threads which is their right.Where has that kayaker ES gone?
Old 05-27-2009, 04:35 PM   #14
Turtle Boy

It just seems to me that every time there is a boating mishap,small or large, there's a small group of posters who like little magpies can't resist their petty quips of "maybe a new law would help" or "we're turning into a nanny state". As another poster alluded to a while back, it's the me generation when they don't get everything that they want.
Turtle Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
OCDACTIVE

Then there are those same posters on the other side that will immediately blame speed before all facts are out. Just look at the 2 that happened on the big lake, both were cited as reasons for the new law that we shall not talk about, when it had nothing to do with them in the first place.

Many want to make sure that these new accidents are not used in the same fashion.

Most of it has just become comical and sarcastic. No need to take it to heart.

cheers!
Old 05-27-2009, 05:41 PM   #16
Bear Island South

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Then there are those same posters on the other side that will immediately blame speed before all facts are out. Just look at the 2 that happened on the big lake, both were cited as reasons for the new law that we shall not talk about, when it had nothing to do with them in the first place.

Many want to make sure that these new accidents are not used in the same fashion.

Most of it has just become comical and sarcastic. No need to take it to heart.

cheers!

and what's even more comical is that the driver was just accepted to harvard graduate school
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #17
Mee-n-Mac

Exclamation What the common factor ?

Quote:
Very true.. They better get some legislation going.. That would have stopped him.
Now let's see what we have in common in all the infamous boating accidents mentioned here on the forum. Maybe what's needed is a BUI law ... that'll stop 'em. Oh wait .....
Old 05-27-2009, 07:18 PM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Head on collision on rt 25 the other day.....lets all write our legislators and get a law on the books about not hitting other cars head on.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
fatlazyless

Boating & beer just go together like a good hamburger and hot mustard, like a hotdog annd sauerkraut, like pizza and....well beer.

What this lake needs is a designated drinking zone....where it's ok to have a beer or two or three or four or five or six or seven or eight, and say go boating, as long as you keep the speed down to 25mph. For going 25mph or less, a blood-alcohol level of .25 could be acceptable, all around Beer Island,,,,,,,oops...make that Bear Island.

Think I will run for the state senate with a campaign slogan of
circle (+25-) , and start my campaign off with a Big Lake booze cruise......vote Less and a designated BEER ISLAND ZONE!

Wonder if the NH vanity license plate BEERISL
is available? Could be?
Old 05-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #20
OCDACTIVE

LMAO... whether we like it or not we have liberals that have over run our government and they feel more laws the better. No way around it now. Hopefully the citizens smarten up come election year.

Maybe there can be some law passed about passing too many laws? Now there is an idea worth discussing.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #21
Rose

Quote:
LMAO... whether we like it or not we have liberals that have over run our government...
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Actually, I'm not for more laws...I'm for reminding people that they are part of a freaking society, so they should act like they're not the only ones on the freaking planet.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 07:22 AM   #22
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Actually, I'm not for more laws...I'm for reminding people that they are part of a freaking society, so they should act like they're not the only ones on the freaking planet.
I do not disagree with that at all, however I don't feel that govenment should pass laws to restict society or an entire group due to actions of a small few people who ruin it for everyone.

These same people that ruin it will continue whether there are laws or not so why impose your own beliefs on those who are law abiding and helpful people in society?

You can remind people without restricting them.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #23
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Adj. 1. law-abiding - adhering strictly to laws and rules

Quote:
why impose your own beliefs on those who are law abiding and helpful(?) people in society?
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE
Loving the new boat.. It is amazing to feel how much power is left even when cruising at 60 mph
so, just curious here, are you law-abiding? or not?...and remember...
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE
No need to take it to heart.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #24
OCDACTIVE

I don't take anything to heart.. Just a good discussion.

I feel I am a very helpful member of society. I contribute to the economy (more so now with 100 gallon gas tank ), I donate my time by being part of the free masons. And up until this year I was very much a law abiding citizen.

I always pay for permits and do what is asked of me. However, no going down this path, the new limits are something I will stretch.

Tried my best..
Old 05-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #25
Rose

Quote:
I do not disagree with that at all, however I don't feel that govenment should pass laws to restict society or an entire group due to actions of a small few people who ruin it for everyone.

These same people that ruin it will continue whether there are laws or not so why impose your own beliefs on those who are law abiding and helpful people in society?

You can remind people without restricting them.

Just my 2 cents.
So how can we be part of the solution? This is a serious question, not a wisecrack. What do you think we, as members of society, should do to those small few people who ruin it for everyone?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #26
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
So how can we be part of the solution? This is a serious question, not a wisecrack. What do you think we, as members of society, should do to those small few people who ruin it for everyone?

You know.... That is a Great question and I really do applaud you for that. (being serious).. So many times these get dragged down the wrong path and you really got to the heart of the whole debate no matter what regulation we are discussing.

There is no easy answer to it however. In my opinion the more rules, regulations, restrictions, limits, laws, whatever you want to call them simply reduces your freedom as an individual. Do I believe that laws are necessary?Absolutely, but there are also natural laws that need to be excersiced inherent in common sense and by education.

As mentioned before no matter how many laws are passed you will never be able to contain these few people, no matter what group they are part of. Go fast boats, Kayakers, fisherman, tubers etc etc.The only thing we can do is hold discussions (like this one) voicing our opinions and making people aware of situations so that hopefully they do not engage in activities that ruin it for everyone. Education is the key to fixing societies issues not regulations. Many boaters committing these, what we call acts of "stupidity", are normally not because they are "stupid" but ignorant of the rules of the water and are not familiar with the areas. Many times I see issues, the person in question is not even breaking a law but engaging in activity that still is dangerous or un-courteous to their fellow boaters, (example kayakers cutting across channels causing power boat congestion which could be easily avoided) laws and / or regulations can't fix that only being alert to what "your actions" as an individual in the boating society is causing..

Healthy discussions of the facts and experiences of individuals is what makes these forums great. Adding restrictions simply fuels the underlying fire on whatever topic we are engaged in. This is why if you look back a year ago those individuals that ruined the healthy discussions, on here, rarely visit if at all any more. They had an agenda and I am sure come 2011 they will be back in full force.

They got their way but now we can't discuss reprecussions nor effects in a healthy manner. Again just goes to show you a few bad apples ruins it for the lot.

Hopefully this helps clairify my thoughts. As you probably guessed I am a very big supporter of conservative and libertarian views. But I also see your points and like discussing them.

Thanks for the post!

Last edited by OCDACTIVE; 05-28-2009 at 02:23 PM.
OCDACTIVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:44 AM   #27
AC2717

Default Here is one for everyone

Anyone ever hear the phrase:
"Street signs are only for those who do not have common sense?"
Think about this one when driving, If you look around the signs and some lights they are what you should or would do even if those signs are not there.
In other words they are there to protect morons without common sense from themselves.

I think what Octodive is saying and i agree with him is that the gov't jumps to conclusions because people without common sense screw things up. Adn I agree, just because some gov't perons child gets hurt doing something they should not have or even worse they do somethign they should nto have or see something or hear somethign they immediatly think they should protect the public from themselves, it is getting out of hand
Old 05-28-2009, 02:40 PM   #28
VtSteve

Quote:
The public (WE), need to demand, support, and subsequently willing to Fund Enforcement. We have many laws on the books already. DUI/BUI, the distance rules, rules for NWZ's, all kinds of things.

I'm sure everyone has seen the actions of some boater that they wished an MP had been there to witness. I'm sure without too much trouble, most boaters could agree on the several spots where violations routinely occur.

People can be hassled in Braun Bay, the Weirs Channel, and many other common areas where the MP's seem to be. Unfortunately, many don't seem to be around when that crazy tuber dude crosses within 40 feet off your bow. The crazy Sea Doo dude that jumps your wake from ten feet off your stern. Boats three abreast within 20'. Even I would know where to hang out on the lake to find the culprits, it's not difficult. But I'm sure money talks, and they call. CALL IT IN. Residents that shout the loudest get the most attention. Complain to those that hold their pursestrings.

Someone stated that many times, the same boat in the very same NWZ, over and over, would bomb right through it. Maybe a call would help? If not, Why Not?

It work both ways here you know. Either the MP is incapable with their limited manpower and resources to enforce the rules of previous years, or they've been given other priorities by people of power that don't seem to fit what you and I see as promoting safety. I've heard enough about things the MP has done that could be considered insignificant, even wasteful. Perhaps it's time to rattle some cages in the offices of people that could be made to give a darn.

This is not rocket science. In answer to your question. WE can stop debating silly things and get to the root cause. Go after those that ruin it for everyone. They are pretty easy to find.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #29
ApS

Cool I'll take "Noise: The Common Denominator" for $100, Alec...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
"...Where has that kayaker ES gone...?"
I don't know: Shall I send her a PM for you?

Quote:
"...Actually, I'm not for more laws...I'm for reminding people that they are part of a freaking society, so they should act like they're not the only ones on the freaking planet..."
Tell the forum what you really think, Rose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VtSteve View Post
"...Residents that shout the loudest get the most attention..."
Why residents? Got no cellphone?

What happened to "enforcing your own"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac View Post
"...Now let's see what we have in common in all the infamous boating accidents mentioned here on the forum..."
Throw-weight? (and collisions), Noise? (and collisions), Darkness? (and collisions) and Maintaining an Improper Watch? (Leading to collisions).

Quote:
"...And with all the new laws that will stop all the crazys out there...Always has worked in the past..."
Maine allows an extreme legal tolerance for noise—plus suffering a widely published collision.

Did you know that perp was cited for a Maine noise violation before causing his 2007 collision?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
"...What this lake needs is a designated drinking zone...For going 25mph or less, a blood-alcohol level of .25 could be acceptable, all around Beer Island,,,,,,,oops...make that Bear Island...BEER ISLAND ZONE...!"
This is "thinking outside the box" gone amok! But I like the way you think, Less: Drawing a line from NASWA across to the Bear Island, then encompassing the BEER ISLAND ZONE west would be OK with me !!!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #30
Rose

Quote:
The public (WE), need to demand, support, and subsequently willing to Fund Enforcement.
I find it's the funding part that the public doesn't want to support. We want a lot of services in this country, but we're often not willing to pay for them. Of course, if our money were spent more wisely, we might not be so hesitant to open the purses. It's a vicious circle.

Quote:
This is not rocket science. In answer to your question. WE can stop debating silly things and get to the root cause. Go after those that ruin it for everyone. They are pretty easy to find.
So would you yourself go after those that ruin it for everyone? If someone blasted past you within 50 feet as they were headed to the Weirs, would you follow them to try to educate them about their error?

As an aside, I think we could save a ton of money not painting lines on the road or erecting stop/yield signs...no one uses them anyway.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:21 PM   #31
Bear Island South

It’s plain and simple: take responsibility for your actions and face the consequences for your stupidity.
This was stupidity and bad judgment, it’s one thing to go out and have a couple of beers with your buddy and go home safely but when your boat ends up 8 feet up in a tree and I am only speculating here, I think there were more than a couple beers involved, he put himself, passengers and innocent by-standers in danger.
Throw the book at him.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #32
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

So would you yourself go after those that ruin it for everyone? If someone blasted past you within 50 feet as they were headed to the Weirs, would you follow them to try to educate them about their error?
Rose, again I don't think he was implying we should become vigilantes and enforce common sense. These few individuals will continue whether there is a law(s) in place or not. Putting more regulations on the books will not solve that. They simply become repetative. If you see someone doing this you don't chase them down but we as the boating pubilc "if" you have the chance should bring it to their attention or make a call to the MP.

In a situation that you gave as an example, whether it be a speed limits law, the 150 ft law, this action would be considered reckless boating and that one law in itself would surfice. There is really no reason to add more, imposing more regulations on those of us who boat with commen sense and courteousy in the first place. Wouldn't you agree?
Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #33
Rose

Quote:
Rose, again I don't think he was implying we should become vigilantes and enforce common sense. These few individuals will continue whether there is a law(s) in place or not. Putting more regulations on the books will not solve that. They simply become repetative. If you see someone doing this you don't chase them down but we as the boating pubilc "if" you have the chance should bring it to their attention or make a call to the MP.

In a situation that you gave as an example, whether it be a speed limits law, the 150 ft law, this action would be considered reckless boating and that one law in itself would surfice. There is really no reason to add more, imposing more regulations on those of us who boat with commen sense and courteousy in the first place. Wouldn't you agree?
I'm not saying we need a law...I'm saying how do we as members of a society ensure that other members of society don't act in such a way that still other members of society push to have a law passed. If the behavior ain't there, there's nothing to restrict with a law. I know it's impossible to get the number down to zero, but can't we try to asymptotically approach zero?

Next question. Obviously, the reckless boating law isn't being enforced to the extent that there is no one in favor of that other law which is not to be named. What do we as members of the boating society have to do to ensure the reckless boating law is enforced? Push for licensing? Pay a yearly fee to use the lakes of NH (provided that the money goes to Marine Patrol)?
Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 AM   #34
VtSteve

Enforcement requires a presence, simple. From what BI said last year, the MP would have a field day at his favorite spot. If they can't have a few boats patrol the hot spots on weekends, they will continue to be ineffective. If VHF radios were used, you could hail the MP and alert them to craziness. If they can't respond to any of those calls, no use having any other laws.

For those who's behavior on the water won't change, measures have to be taken. Their behavior has to have risks and punishments.