Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Silver Duck

Default Model of the Mount?

I'm redecorating my home around a "boating on Winnipesaukee" theme (i.e., lots of Peter Ferber prints, framed lake maps, models of classic Chris Crafts, etc.).

But, the one thing that I haven't been able to come up with on-line is a model of the Mount. Does anybody know if there are any available? It doesn't need to be huge (maybe 12" - 18".)
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
NoBozo

Try this place over in Searsport, ME NB

http://www.bluejacketinc.com/
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Silver Duck (01-22-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Check this out..

expensive.. and it looks like a "build it yourself" deal.

http://seagifts.com/mowarikitbyd.html

Here she is in a "Bottle"

http://whitesnauticalantiques.com/li...spesaukee.html
Silver Duck (01-22-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
NoBozo

Default $$$$

If money is no object, and you must have the best: NB

http://www.shipmodel.com/
Silver Duck (01-22-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Mirror Lake's BB

Smile McDude's postcard link

Can't help you with the Mount Washington model, but while you are decorating don't forget about McDude's vast collection of vintage postcards that he will mat and frame for you. He has a lot of different Mount Washington post cards as well as the Lakes Region. Very reasonably priced.

http://www.thepostcardworkshop.com/

Last edited by Mirror Lake's BB; 01-21-2012 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirror Lake's BB For This Useful Post:
Silver Duck (01-22-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default The original Mount Washington

We found this new on Ebay several years ago. It's about 3 feet long. It came fully assembled, except that the masts and smokestack had to be fitted into the hull and the lines tightened. I believe it cost about $189 with the shipping. The workmanship is quite good. The mahogany looks better than painted, in our opinion.

Here's a link to another one on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/160718479182...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

The listing expires in 19 hours. Good Luck!

The gift shop at the Mount sells a 10 inch model for short money.
Attached Images

Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Prop-B-Gone For This Useful Post:
bclaker (01-21-2012), Silver Duck (01-22-2012), SteveA (01-22-2012), trfour (01-21-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Oh yeah! Just remembered that we found an original schedule for the Old Mount on Ebay also. Sorry, don't have a scan of that.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
ushaggerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Prop-B-Gone View Post
Oh yeah! Just remembered that we found an original schedule for the Old Mount on Ebay also. Sorry, don't have a scan of that.
For $189, I think you got a steal!
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Yeah, you may be right. I checked the guys feedback and one went for $125 a while ago, but I just checked this listing and it's currently at $261 plus $33 shipping. The shipping, by the way, is very fair. Ours came very well protected in a 2X4 frame inside a cardboard box filled with Styrofoam padding.

It's interesting that someone, probably in China, decided to build replicas of a ship that, in the big scheme of things, is relatively unknown outside of New Hampshire. But I'm glad they did!
Old 01-22-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
Silver Duck

Thanks for the leads, everybody. Mr. Prop-be-gone, you did get a steal. I followed the link, and it's up over $300 at the moment. It's a shame, but that's just too big for the place I intend to put it.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #11
NoBozo

It all depends weather you want a REAL Fine Scale (Correct) model OR a Caricature of the boat. The GREAT majority of models found in gift shops...(98%) of any specific Named Vessel... bear NO Resemblence to the original boat. They are CHEAP ($150 +/-) and probably made in Russia.

The NH Antique Boat Museum in Wolfeboro has a NICE model of the Mount Washington. That model would be worth thousands. NB (Fine Scale Model Builder) ..Look for my Catspaw Dinghy on this forum.

Last edited by NoBozo; 01-22-2012 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #12
nhd

This coming Saturday North Country auctions in Tamworth is selling a Mount Washington model. Check out the auction items on their homepage, http://northcountry-auctions.com/. Good luck!
nhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:53 PM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhd View Post
This coming Saturday North Country auctions in Tamworth is selling a Mount Washington model. Check out the auction items on their homepage, http://northcountry-auctions.com/. Good luck!
That might be something to look at. The case looks nice. Not many low grade models are housed in a case like that. NB

http://northcountry-auctions.com/listings/l0009.html
Old 01-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #14
bclaker

This guy is a super model ship maker. Don't know if he does anything but warships:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...400-ships.html
bclaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:33 PM   #15
Silver Duck

The model being auctioned is a beauty, all right, but the size (and, I suspect the price tag) are bigger than I can accomodate. Plus, I had in mind a model of the present Mount; she's the one with so many good memories for me!
Old 01-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #16
NoBozo

Default Fine Scale Models

For anyone who might be interested in Fine Scale boat/ship models, I am not alone when I consider LLoyd McCaffery The BEST in the world. I have seen some of his work first hand and it is nothing less than Astonishing. NB

http://www.jrusselljinishiangallery....-brittania.htm
Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 PM   #17
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
That might be something to look at. The case looks nice. Not many low grade models are housed in a case like that. NB

http://northcountry-auctions.com/listings/l0009.html
I saw a model this past summer, that the NH Boat Museum has of the Mount Washington. It was a good model. I'm wondering: Is this (Auction) model the same model..?? Museums are free to sell whatever artifacts that have been donated to them ... to raize money.

It is very difficult to donate an artifact to a Museum... and stipulate that the Museum KEEP the artifact. NB
Old 01-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
Mr. V

This looks promising ...

http://www.modelshipmaster.com/produ...ngton_boat.htm
Mr. V is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr. V For This Useful Post:
Silver Duck (01-25-2012)
Old 01-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #19
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
I saw a model this past summer, that the NH Boat Museum has of the Mount Washington. It was a good model. I'm wondering: Is this (Auction) model the same model..?? Museums are free to sell whatever artifacts that have been donated to them ... to raize money.

It is very difficult to donate an artifact to a Museum... and stipulate that the Museum KEEP the artifact. NB
This last sentence is just plain wrong if true. The donation of an artifact needs to be treated as would any restricted asset. In the case of an artifact, it's a historical treasure to be held in the public trust. To sell the asset without the donor's explicit written consent is to betray a covenant with the public they claim to serve. It is also a betrayal of the agreement between the institution and the donor. Probably illegal, too.

Do not donate artifacts or money to museums that do this. Selling objects implies a disrespect for the mission. Being so needy suggests they are unsustainable so your $50, $100, or $500 donation is probably good money after bad.

If you gave an artifact to a museum you think was sold, let the Attorney General's office know. If a museum wants to accept stuff in the public trust and pivot to a resale, they are in noncompliance with the AG's granting exempt status and they need to know.
Jonas Pilot (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #20
NoBozo

I'll take it one step further. You will love this. When the museum that you donated the artifact to decides to SELL the artifact, You..the donor will be offered the First opportunity to BUY the artifact back.

I am not making this up. I have seriously looked into this. NB
Jonas Pilot (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #21
diz

Default Accession Documents

Quote:
I'll take it one step further. You will love this. When the museum that you donated the artifact to decides to SELL the artifact, You..the donor will be offered the First opportunity to BUY the artifact back.

It depends on the organization. I served a few years on the board of directors of a small local museum. We give donors the option of what to do with objects that are deaccessioned.
diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 AM   #22
NoBozo

Here are some of the Rules (FAQs) for donating artifacts to the Antique Boat Museum in Clayton, NY. This is taken from their website. NB

http://www.abm.org/index.php/collect...ollection-faq/
Old 01-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #23
Winnisquamguy

Quote:

I am confused why you're upset your donating something correct? You're not loaning it to them? You could use it as a tax write off after donating it. The key word is donate not loan.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:16 PM   #24
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
I am confused why you're upset your donating something correct? You're not loaning it to them? You could use it as a tax write off after donating it. The key word is donate not loan.
Now I guess I'm confused as to why you're confused. I'm not upset at all. I learned something I didn't know before. That's always good.

At any rate, I would just prefer that my donation of an artifact (Vs. cash) to a museum, remain at the museum, to be enjoyed by the museum visiting public, rather than the possibility that the artifact end up in a "Private" collection. NB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (01-25-2012), Winnisquamguy (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #25
CrawfordCentury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamguy View Post
From a gift standpoint, you're right. Ownership officially changes hand, assuming that the transaction is agreed to in writing. But according to museum professional best practices and ethics, this takes place within the donor assumption of institutional stewardship in perpetuity.

In plain English, you gift stuff to a museum with the expectation that it will help fulfill an educational mission. Sale of the stuff is potentially a betrayal of that covenant.

In terms of the tax write off piece - museums ethically can not do appraisals. They can only verify the transfer of property, without mention of $$$. So the whole write off thing hangs on a 3d party appraisal or the donor improvising value putting the writeoff at risk of being an auditable.

I have visited many but all of the museums in the Lakes region and doubt that any fully appreciates the due diligence involved in committing to this kind of donor-institutional relationship.
Winnisquamguy (01-26-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 11:11 PM   #26
CrawfordCentury

Quote:

I'm not shocked. Makes a certain amount of sense. But from a PR standpoint, it would be preferable to regift to the donor or designee. Unless we're talking about a Picasso Blue Period work or some such. In that case, there needs to be frontend due diligence to ensure a post-possession process.

Sorry to be wonky, but my background is in nonprof compliance. And I love museums and wish they'd get with the program. Non profit rules will tighten as well as compliance. Some of the ones in our footprint could get stung bad. Boat museums that sell boats. WWII museums that sell WWII trucks. Jeez. Seems like Wolfeboro is just begging the IRS to reexamine 501 status.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:31 PM   #27
CrawfordCentury

Couple of last things:

-if you intend to claim a tax benefit of a donation, request the collecting institution's Frd Tax ID #. Every nonprofit is assigned one and it might comer in handy. There are a handful of for-profit museums (Funspot's fine classic arcade museum comes to mind - correct me if they're not part of the forprofit venture). These are legit but not places you can donate and get a writeoff. Again, museums shouldn't (if they prize their exempt status) assign $$$ value, so arrange for an appraisal

-When talking with a museum, request that an acknowledgment letter be sent. Additionally, request an Accesion number. If your artifact gets lost, the # might be helpful in locating it. At the very least, if you get an IRS audit it serves as a ref point. If the museum looses your stuff you're covered - and the onus is placed on them....and they need to answer as to why they dropped the ball.