Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
jsa3107

Default Marine Radio

I hope its ok to ask about what would be a good marine radio for a lake style boat?
Hand held?
25 watt base unit?
Thanks again for any help....
jsa3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
NoBozo

I have raised this topic on numerous ocassions on the Wolfeboro Docks with MP over the years. I come from the Coast where VHF is a necessity and the norm. Without hesitation they (MP) said..Don't bother..WE don't listen and nobody else does either. This has been my experience. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:42 PM   #3
XCR-700

Question That cant be right??? can it,,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I have raised this topic on numerous ocassions on the Wolfeboro Docks with MP over the years. I come from the Coast where VHF is a necessity and the norm. Without hesitation they (MP) said..Don't bother..WE don't listen and nobody else does either. This has been my experience. NB
Seriously, they said that on more than one occasion???

That just seem way off base,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:52 PM   #4
NoRegrets

We use our marine radio all the time. We hear calls to the marine patrol, Tow boats, and many conversations on various channels. Our group of friends choose a channel and we call to verify rafting positions. Our marina monitors channel 14 so we can call if there are issues. One of our friends did not have a radio so we chipped in and bought him a protable one and it works well. Very effective to gather for outings and organizing cruises. We also can call out bone-heads. We leave our radios on until the last boat arrives in their slip.

I guess I must be a part of the "no one" group that never uses the radio.
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 06:57 PM   #5
NoRegrets

jsa3107,

I responded quickly to the thread and just realized you are the person looking to buy a new boat. I saw your question on insurance so I assume you may have made the purchase or getting close to one. I am impressed how you are progressing in researching all aspects of boating. I hope to see what decision you have made.

NoRegrets!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #6
jrc

I have a handheld that works pretty well. Mostly good for eavesdropping on fisherman. They know people listen, so they fib.

Cell coverage is pretty good on the lake, so people feel safe without a radio. It's around a $100 for a decent handheld, cheap insurance.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #7
Silver Duck

Default Not entirely accurate

The MP boats may not carry or listen to VHF, but MP Headquarters certainly does; I've spoken with them several times! So, if you need to reach an MP boat concerning a problem, you can do so via MP Headquarters.

However, if you want to be fairly certain of getting through to the MP from anywhere on the lake, I'd strongly recommend the 25 watt unit with a full-size (8 ft.) antenna.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
jsa3107

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegrets View Post
jsa3107,

I responded quickly to the thread and just realized you are the person looking to buy a new boat. I saw your question on insurance so I assume you may have made the purchase or getting close to one. I am impressed how you are progressing in researching all aspects of boating. I hope to see what decision you have made.

NoRegrets!
I am close, and am looking to get all the information before I pull the trigger
This forum has helped alot
Sad to say the 3 dealers I have talked to seem to be limited in what the salesman knows or at least what time they are willing to give me or both....
But with this forum I am getting most questions answered
Thanks to all again......
jsa3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Dave R

I think you should use the boat salesperson solely for the sale. Get answers elsewhere, like here.

25 watt helm unit with a 3 dB antenna is a good choice for a smaller boat on Winnipesaukee. A taller, 6 dB antenna gives you more range on flat water, but if you break down and get beam-to some swells, the rolling will affect the performance of the 6 dB antenna more than the 3 dB due to the flatter lobe of the 6 dB unit.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Lightbulb Marine radio considerations and thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsa3107 View Post
I hope its ok to ask about what would be a good marine radio for a lake style boat?
Hand held?
25 watt base unit?

I’ll try to keep this short.

Marine VHF is definitely alive and well on Lake Winnipesaukee. Here are some thoughts on handheld vs fixed mount (base) unit. How much splash do you expect your radio to get? Water resistance is important.

A portable handy-talkie is, well, handy. You can bring it in your house or car to hear what is going on but you will be limited regarding distance to talk and receive and have lower received volume. It is hard to hear a handy-talkie over motor noise while underway. You’ll need to consider care and recharging of batteries, plugs for using external power, where to put the handy-talkie so you can hear it while it doesn’t bounce off of a seat or out of a cup holder while underway. The 6 inch rubber antenna on a handy-talkie is inefficient. If your radio claims to be 1 watt or 5 watts, that is power you would get from a GOOD antenna and not the effective output from that rubber duckie antenna. You want your antenna to be vertical and high up for best results.

A fixed mount (base unit) VHF has many advantages. It is easier to read the display and change channel numbers. You will have much louder receiver volume so you can hear the radio, if you want to, over the motor and other noise. Transmitting offers 1 watt or the higher 25 watt output power capability. You will be heard further with the higher power. There is also the ability to use a noise canceling microphone so you can talk and be heard while the loud motor is running in the background.

A fixed mount antenna will considerably outperform the antenna sitting on top of a handy-talkie. You could compromise and use a fixed mount antenna and connect it to your handy-talkie. Many (but not all) portables have the ability to use an external antenna and external (boat) 12 volt power. You have to deal with extra wires dangling from your handy-talkie for connection to the antenna and power. You might be able to add an external mic to the handy-talkie so you don’t have to hold the whole unit up to your mouth to talk (yet another wire to dangle from the handy-talkie).

If you use an external antenna the handy-talkie RECEIVER and ONE watt transmitter power will generally hear and talk the same distance as the fixed mount radio in the one watt transmit mode. As mentioned earlier there are commonly 3 db gain antennas and 6 db gain antennas to mount on your boat. I prefer the 8 foot 6 db gain antenna on the power boat for best performance. The increased gain is accomplished by electronically “steering” or concentrating the directional pattern of the antenna for both transmit and receive toward the horizon rather than in all directions (you don’t need to send or hear a signal that is much above the horizon or straight UP). Some of the 3 db antennas work better with a metal (grounded) area under them which is hard to find on a fiberglass boat.

Side note: Some antenna manufacturer claims that their expensive 8 foot 6db antenna can be heard at a longer distance than when using their economy 8 foot 6db antenna. Several years ago I wrote and finally spoke with their technical department and did not get what I consider a good, technical answer (but then I don’t always understand Shakespeare) about how their expensive 8 foot 6db antenna outperformed their economy 8 foot 6db antenna. It (6db) is a ratio of power out of the transmitter to the power radiated from the antenna - be the antenna made of gold, copper, wood or a wet noodle – if it measures 6db (referenced to the same standard) then it transmits and receives just like any other 8 foot 6 dB antenna of that style, PERIOD. Construction (cost) may effect how well the antenna tolerates repeated vibrations and weather over years of use but shouldn’t make one 8 foot 6 db antenna work any better than another 8 foot 6db antenna.

Another consideration is the newer Digital Selective Calling (DSC) system (uses Marine channel 70). I haven’t heard much activity with this mode but it will be getting more use. It can send a digital distress signal with one button and if you have it connected to a GPS it will also send your exact position. You can use DSC to make boat to boat contacts and even see where your friends boats are. When last I checked (2 years ago) neither SeaTow, BoatUS or Marine Patrol monitored for DSC.

Receiver specifications are another consideration but too complicated to detail here. Manufacturers often use different measuring methods and references which makes specs hard to compare. Most people don’t look at specifications but they can tell you how weak a signal you can hear, how close some one can use their Marine transmitter before it disrupts your ability to hear adjacent channels and other “geek” type info.

Bottom line, I prefer a fixed mount base radio. Install it and forget about the care and feeding of a handy-talkie.

For your reading enjoyment, here is a link to How to use a Marine VHF radio. Scroll down to INSTRUCTIONS (short but good procedural info).

Also, here is a Link to US Coast Guard page of Marine Radio channels and their uses. Recreational boaters usually monitor Channel 16 and then move to Non-commercial channels for communications (although many on the Lake don't follow these rules).

BTW, USCG Portland ME can be heard around the Lake, and they can hear us. Even if you can't hear conversation on a channel, USCG may be using it and your signal could be interfering with what they hear - best advice is to stick with the prescribed channel plan.

Hope I have not confused you . Any questions or clarifications, just ask.
Happy and safe boating.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Skipper of the Sea Que For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-12-2010), Misty Blue (07-12-2010), NoRegrets (07-09-2010)
Old 07-10-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Winnipesaukee

VHF in my opinion is a vital and invaluable tool to have in any boat. Having said that, there is almost no use for it, except in an emergency, on Winnipesaukee. Next to nobody has a radio, and the ones that do, usually are not "tuned in" either physically or mentally.

Like others have said, NHMP does not even carry VHF radios in their boats.

My opinion, get a fixed mount, 25w VHF and always carry a cell phone.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #12
Misty Blue

Default VHF can be vital

NB. I don't know why the MP officer would say that nobody including the NHMP monitors VHF ch.16.

NHMP does. Both at headquaters in Glendale and the NHMP auxiliary maintains a radio up in Melvin village.

What's more many private vessels listen when underway. A couple of years ago I was looking for a missing kayaker and it was resolved when a boater overheard my rodio contacts and informed me of the persons location. Case closed.

JSA. Read the "West Advisor" from west marine. They have good write ups on everything from lines to fire extinguishers to, yup, VHF radios.

Good luck!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #13
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Blue View Post
NB. I don't know why the MP officer would say that nobody including the NHMP monitors VHF ch.16.

NHMP does. Both at headquaters in Glendale and the NHMP auxiliary maintains a radio up in Melvin village.

What's more many private vessels listen when underway. A couple of years ago I was looking for a missing kayaker and it was resolved when a boater overheard my rodio contacts and informed me of the persons location. Case closed.

JSA. Read the "West Advisor" from west marine. They have good write ups on everything from lines to fire extinguishers to, yup, VHF radios.

Good luck!

Misty Blue
I was surprised to hear the MP statements myself, but that answer was not just one officer on one occasion, during one season.

My boating background started on the seacoast. I bought my first cruising sailboat in 1974. I asked around to find out what The BEST VHF radio was. I bought a MODAR VHF. It cost over $1100. The antenna was a "wire" whip at the top of a ~40 foot mast. A friend of mine with a Hinkley Bermuda 40 recommended it. He had a Modar. The range on a good day between my boat and his was (Masthead to Masthead) about 40-45 miles with NO land between us.

On a trip back from Bermuda in 1979 I could HEAR Coast Guard Barnagat at about 300 miles out. The experts will tell you about "Line Of Sight"...curvature of the earth, etc. etc. OH Well.

SO: Seven years later I bought a new bigger boat. In spite of my experience with the Modar, I chinced out and bought ~ $180 Horizon-Standard VHF for the new boat.

There was absolutely NO Comparison. The Horizon-Standard was was a Hundai Vs a Ferrari in the performance department. You sometimes get what you pay for.

I have NO experience with VHF on the lake but my guess is, a Handheld VHF would be a hit and miss experience at best, what with all the land "Objects" in the way....w/antenna at 4 feet above the water. As has been stated here already, antenna height is ALL important..and in IMHO, Radio Quality is ALSO.

Been boating on the lake for ~15 years (20 foot boat) and still don't have a VHF. Don't have a Stereo, iPod, or a Cell phone. GPS and Chart..YES. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #14
Dogberry01

I went with a fixed mount and a 8'. The main reason for me was so that my 9 year old would not drop the hand held over the side
Dogberry01 is offline   Reply With Quote