Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 04:59 PM   #1
8gv

Default The venting thread...

No I don't mean venting the bilge on your I/O.

This is a thread in which you can vent your frustrations with rude boaters!

I'll go first:

To the guy in the ORANGE boat that was systematically cutting the line to enter the Weirs Channel today.

No you cannot enter or traverse the channel side by side. Oncoming traffic needs space too.

It is very high on the rude meter to just cut ahead of many boats just because you feel that you need to do it.

Unless you are bleeding, fall in line behind the rest of the herd (fleet?) and behave.

Old 08-20-2023, 05:17 PM   #2
dmjr

Its the way things are now since Covid happened. There are too many "Credit Card Captains" that bought boats and they don't know what they are doing and they have no respect.

They think they own they lake and us respectful boaters just have to deal with it!!!
Old 08-21-2023, 10:20 AM   #3
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts
Default Too slow

I have a different boat now and don't go into the channel often, but I was happier when headway speed had a "not to exceed 6 mph" component. Small boats with small propellers go so slow that they block traffic and make it extremely difficult for larger vessels to maintain control. Especially difficult near Thurston's and the bridge when the current is strong.
Old 08-21-2023, 11:29 AM   #4
JayR

I can't remember who it was; someone once had a great quote, "the world is a really great place...except for all the PEOPLE in it!"

Present company excluded, of course!
The Following User Says Thank You to JayR For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-21-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 11:35 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayR View Post
I can't remember who it was; someone once had a great quote, "the world is a really great place...except for all the PEOPLE in it!"

Present company excluded, of course!
The pandemic really changed the views of everyone, some for the better but most are worse.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2023, 12:13 PM   #6
Descant

I recall having this very thought with one word changed:
"Disney World is a really great place...except for all the PEOPLE in it!"
Old 08-21-2023, 12:50 PM   #7
Garcia

Default Row

This past weekend it seemed like I was the only person who knew who had the right of way. As for the NWZ between Bear and Pine, if you're only going to slow down enough to make the largest wake possible, why even bother?
Old 08-21-2023, 01:51 PM   #8
ITD

Not really a complaint, just a reminder that there are a lot of rocks in this lake, just below the surface. And it's not a good thing to hit them going 30 mph.

I was in a small row boat, with a little motor on it fishing just to the left (west) of the black over white markers at the main entrance of Center Harbor. We were stationary.

While we were fishing a very new 22 or so foot pontoon boat was cruising along lined up to enter Center Harbor to the west of us, through the submerged rocks about 100 feet behind us, not even close to the channel. So I waved to him and pointed to the right (east) of my boat, for him to get into the channel. He decides to turn further left (west) and continue toward crashing into the rocks. So I stood up, waved my arms cross fashion, over my head. The guy sees me and stops about 50 feet away from me. I point to the right (east) and make a go through the channel motion to him. He finally understands that he was about to crash, turns and slowly goes by me without a thank you, a wave, or even eye contact. I suppose I embarrassed him in front of his 2 buddies, but whatever, it was still better than having to rescue them.

He was about the 8th boat I've stopped from hitting those rocks. Be careful out there and use a chart or better yet a chart plotter.
Old 08-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Caption Pontoon

There was a giant triton with triple outboards at the Weirs Channel the weekend before. Others had to make way as he barreled through the channel as fast as he could into Paugus Bay. Everyone told him to slow down but they were ignored. No marine patrol in sight!
Old 08-21-2023, 06:44 PM   #10
dmjr

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
There was a giant triton with triple outboards at the Weirs Channel the weekend before. Others had to make way as he barreled through the channel as fast as he could into Paugus Bay. Everyone told him to slow down but they were ignored. No marine patrol in sight!
Sounds like a “Credit Card Captain”

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-21-2023, 06:57 PM   #11
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Wow, never seen a triple outboard tri-toon on the lake! Plenty of doubles but never a triple! Not many manufacturers make them…Premier is the only one that I know of who made or still makes one….should be easy for the marine patrol to find!

Dan
Old 08-21-2023, 09:12 PM   #12
8gv

Another one from Sunday...

To the lady that was piloting the bow rider through the anchorage located on the east side of the Governor's Island Bridge:

There is, in fact, a 150' rule.

You were 25' off my bow.

Yes, that was me in the water near my anchor line.

The high angle / low speed 2' wake was not cool, not cool.

I got a really good look at it.
Old 08-22-2023, 05:50 AM   #13
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

My issue this year is that more often than not captains don't think about how their path will affect others', which forces me to slow down or get far away from them.

Case in point: coming out from Ganzey Island yesterday, an approaching vessel, instead of doing an arc, took a straight line before turning ~90%, which forced me way outside and around.

It was the same while tubing outside Suissevale when a series of boats came through where we were circling rather than go just outside where we were keeping to.

In general, I see this as a reflection of the entitlement culture all around me: people playing Bluetooth speakers on the trail rather than headphones to keep the noise to themselves, very loud conversations everywhere I go, people taking phone calls in restaurants or during a movie, etc. etc.

Oh! And the newest one that's DRIVING ME NUTS: kids walking around restaurants. In just the last week, I've been walked into by a wandering kid (Woodstock Inn), annoyed by one walking in between our table and theirs (Canoe), and, the absolute worst, a kid walking up and asking my family questions multiple times (Bob House).

I feel like I'm being Punk'd daily and want to scream Just. Do. The. Right. Thing.

All that being said, I really do try to forgive and forget—the reality is that, in the scheme of things, most of these things aren't a big deal and are short-lived. Except for the phone call in a movie thing. Those people should be imprisoned with the guy who ran over the Hackercraft.

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Dad207 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 06:09 AM   #14
garysanfran

I think it was George Carlin who said...

"We all love our family and friends but think humanity sucks".

Last edited by garysanfran; 08-22-2023 at 12:04 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 06:47 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

In general, I see this as a reflection of the entitlement culture all around me: people playing Bluetooth speakers on the trail rather than headphones to keep the noise to themselves, very loud conversations everywhere I go, people taking phone calls in restaurants or during a movie, etc. etc.

I 100% agree with you. The entitlement culture is killing our country. It's all about me, I am important, I don't care about anybody else. SAD
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-14-2023), pondguy (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #16
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
My issue this year is that more often than not captains don't think about how their path will affect others', which forces me to slow down or get far away from them.

Case in point: coming out from Ganzey Island yesterday, an approaching vessel, instead of doing an arc, took a straight line before turning ~90%, which forced me way outside and around.

It was the same while tubing outside Suissevale when a series of boats came through where we were circling rather than go just outside where we were keeping to.

Oh! And the newest one that's DRIVING ME NUTS: kids walking around restaurants. In just the last week, I've been walked into by a wandering kid (Woodstock Inn), annoyed by one walking in between our table and theirs (Canoe), and, the absolute worst, a kid walking up and asking my family questions multiple times (Bob House).

I feel like I'm being Punk'd daily and want to scream Just. Do. The. Right. Thing.

All that being said, I really do try to forgive and forget—the reality is that, in the scheme of things, most of these things aren't a big deal and are short-lived. Except for the phone call in a movie thing. Those people should be imprisoned with the guy who ran over the Hackercraft.

Ummm.... if the encounter occurred as illustrated, then the encounter happened precisely as it is supposed to! You turned Starboard, he turned to Starboard. In any case I see no entitlement in the encounter, other than you being somehow inconvenienced by having to swing wider than you liked. You also had the option to slow a little let him pass and resume your course.

Also, why are you entitled to stake out a circular area of the lake for your exclusive use to pull a tube around? You can be mad them as much as they can be mad at you... entitlement goes both ways.

Yes I agree with you in that if it were me, I would do my best to drive around the area being used by the tubers. That being said, it reeks of entitlement that you got your feathers ruffled because they had the audacity to drive thru a portion of the lake you were using. In their defense, an area that has lots of navigational hazards.

Woodsy
Old 08-22-2023, 10:59 AM   #17
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post

I 100% agree with you. The entitlement culture is killing our country. It's all about me, I am important, I don't care about anybody else. SAD
Nowadays, in Kindergarten, instead of singing "Frere Jacque, Frere Jacque" the lyrics are "I am special, I am special". Where do you think entitlement starts?
Old 08-22-2023, 11:00 AM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Ummm.... if the encounter occurred as illustrated, then the encounter happened precisely as it is supposed to! You turned Starboard, he turned to Starboard. In any case I see no entitlement in the encounter, other than you being somehow inconvenienced by having to swing wider than you liked. You also had the option to slow a little let him pass and resume your course.

Also, why are you entitled to stake out a circular area of the lake for your exclusive use to pull a tube around? You can be mad them as much as they can be mad at you... entitlement goes both ways.

Yes I agree with you in that if it were me, I would do my best to drive around the area being used by the tubers. That being said, it reeks of entitlement that you got your feathers ruffled because they had the audacity to drive thru a portion of the lake you were using. In their defense, an area that has lots of navigational hazards.

Woodsy
Fair questions. In the posted scenario, the vessel chose the direct center rather than moving over for us both, which forced me closer to shore and all the docks there. I always try to stay to the 1/3 rule so as not to cause excessive wakes on land. It's not unlike people who slide towards center when coming through the Weirs channel and force others towards the rocks.

As for tubing, we had chosen an area again away from main traffic yet big enough to not cause too much wake action on shore. The few boats had as direct a route without going through where we were tubing.

In both cases, it not only forced us to stop/slow down when totally unnecessary but also forced me into situations that were less safe and had bigger impacts on land.

To me, it's equivalent to people walking down the center of the aisle at a grocery store.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
Woodsy (08-23-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 11:08 AM   #19
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
The pandemic really changed the views of everyone, some for the better but most are worse.
It probably enhanced it with the remote working condition and such.
But I think some is the fluidity of unstructured time dimming our mental awareness.

I tried full retirement in 2006. The first few weeks was like being on vacation, but after that I really lost sense of what to do with the time.

My mother pointed out that about 70 hrs a week of structured time needed to be filled. I took a part time job, but found I needed more to achieve the balance that I was actually looking for. I now do about 50-55, and intend to slowly slip into the unstructured time of retirement.

Remote work and staying home, I think gave us an odd sense of that unstructured time. Sort of like the fall out of all the children being all of a sudden homeschooled.
Old 08-22-2023, 05:05 PM   #20
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Nowadays, in Kindergarten, instead of singing "Frere Jacque, Frere Jacque" the lyrics are "I am special, I am special". Where do you think entitlement starts?
Entitlement usually starts with the parents!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
Biggd (08-23-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 05:20 PM   #21
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Isn't that sad? I fear for our country.
Closed Thread