Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
secondcurve

Default Clean-Up Campaign

One thing that drives me absolutely nuts is litter along our roads. I think that litter bugs should be jailed this includes smokers who dispose of their butts rather than putting them in ash trays! Okay, maybe jailing these people is somewhat harsh, but how about a caning program like the one used in Singapore?

All kidding aside, how do folks feel about organizing a lake wide road trash pickup sometime this fall? If we got 5-10 people per town we might make a dent.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #2
viands

Can we paint/replace the bench at Brewster Field and the three at the town docks/Dockside as well?
viands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:41 AM   #3
Island Life

Default Good idea!

We do this on my street at home every Spring, the same weekend every year, and it's a great community building event. Everyone goes out for a few hours and then we gather at one person's house for coffee and treats. I bet this will catch on. Maybe you should organize forum members to put up flyers in each town a few weeks before the event.
Old 06-23-2007, 06:58 AM   #4
fatlazyless

NH is about the only state for a thousand miles that has no bottle or can deposit. No refundable nickel or dime added to your Dr Pepper or Busch beer. So, what's to stop you from cleaning a littered nickel can from New Hampshire and redeeming it in Quibec, Maine, Vermont, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Delaware, Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, or Washington DC?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:24 AM   #5
vrrooom

Default Road side trash pick up

There must be some sort of program in Gilford, as several times a year, I see two elderly women picking up trash in blue bags along route 11. The bags are then picked up by either the state or Gilford orange trucks. My wife picks up trash along the road by the lake where we live, again several times a year. We should all "Just Do It", as many of us spend time in NJ, you would need a skip loader to clean up the roadsides in the garden state. For all the money they spend in that state, the roadsides are a perpetual dump.
vrrooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2007, 10:11 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

My neighbor and I do about a mile of our road each spring.......I can tell you that Bud is the beer of choice of the ice fishing community....followed by Mikes Hard lemonade.We usually get 5-6 large garbage bags full.Someone dumped an old dishwasher this spring and I had my trailer on so I took it to the Meredith dump...oops...I mean reclaimation center.I explained to the attendant that it wasn't mine and I thought I was helping out by removing it,but he still charged me.Any other good dump stories out there?
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Rose

Default It's illegal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
So, what's to stop you from cleaning a littered nickel can from New Hampshire and redeeming it in... Massachusetts...
There are signs on the machines down here in Mass. that state it's illegal to try to redeem cans that aren't refundable...can't remember what the penalty is. Why don't you try it and find out?

I'm not even sure the machines would take the cans.
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 04:49 PM   #8
vrrooom

Default Free Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose
There are signs on the machines down here in Mass. that state it's illegal to try to redeem cans that aren't refundable...can't remember what the penalty is. Why don't you try it and find out?

I'm not even sure the machines would take the cans.
My wife redeems cans a couple of times a year when she visits my daughter in Marina Bay. Her story is once you fight off the street people at the redemption manchines to get your nickel, she gets enough money to pay for lunch at Spiro's.
vrrooom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #9
Rattlesnake Guy

I believe there is a uv illuminated code on the legal cans that the machines detect to keep us from doing the wrong thing.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #10
Windrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM
My neighbor and I do about a mile of our road each spring.......I can tell you that Bud is the beer of choice of the ice fishing community....followed by Mikes Hard lemonade.We usually get 5-6 large garbage bags full.Someone dumped an old dishwasher this spring and I had my trailer on so I took it to the Meredith dump...oops...I mean reclaimation center.I explained to the attendant that it wasn't mine and I thought I was helping out by removing it,but he still charged me.Any other good dump stories out there?

SAMIAM....you must know by now that no good deed goes unpunished at the Meredith Dump! If you ever have a day when you feel you haven't had your full quota of rude behavior and outright hostility, visit those fine folks and you'll have all you can bear. Their behavior is always shameful at best. I often wonder why the selectmen or towm manager hasn't done somethig, surely they must get complaints.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 07:22 PM   #11
NeckLass

Default "no soup for you!!"

Windrider . . . you are not alone in your feelings re da dump! I've been taken to task several times for honest mistakes by folks who now remind me of the chef in the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is told, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"

And, while we're on the subject, what's the deal with the room for items too good to be tossed? I've never encountered a town where those items were placed "on sale" . . . . "If you don't want to pay, let it lay" says one (obnoxious) sign . . . .Where does that $$ go anyway . . . ?

But I digress. For me, at least, recycling has become more of a chore because of the attitude of some of the employees at da dump.
NeckLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #12
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeckLass
Windrider . . .
And, while we're on the subject, what's the deal with the room for items too good to be tossed? I've never encountered a town where those items were placed "on sale" . . . . "If you don't want to pay, let it lay" says one (obnoxious) sign . . . .Where does that $$ go anyway . . . ?
Here in Bedford NH we have a building set aside for this exact purpose.I have replaced windows and garage doors and left the old ones to be resold.I don't really care where the money goes cause I was throwing them away anyway and I'm glad they didn't end up in a landfill.I believe in our town the money goes to local town non-profit groups and the people that run are not on the town payroll.I think it's a great idea.

Last edited by SIKSUKR; 06-26-2007 at 08:56 AM.
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:08 AM   #13
RLW

Thumbs up Pay for unwanted good materials

I think we have gone a bit off subject, but I'll add my 2¢ worth. Why would a town/city/county want to pay for an attendant to stay at a location collecting money when they may never sell the amount of his salary. In Alton is take it in an artical and leave it at the shed and the attendants place them in certain areas as needed when time allows and the public just go in and takes what he or she fields that they can use. If an item stays to long into the dumpster it goes. It has worked excellent for the past 3 or 4 years and hopefully for those that can use the material it will continue.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #14
Sunbeam lodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windrider
SAMIAM....you must know by now that no good deed goes unpunished at the Meredith Dump! If you ever have a day when you feel you haven't had your full quota of rude behavior and outright hostility, visit those fine folks and you'll have all you can bear. Their behavior is always shameful at best. I often wonder why the selectmen or towm manager hasn't done somethig, surely they must get complaints.
I have to agree. They sure are a hostile bunch. Try dropping off a mattress with metal springs or some other article that you don't know what to do with.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:46 AM   #15
rander7823

Default Maybe a Postal Truck will help

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeckLass
Windrider . . . you are not alone in your feelings re da dump! I've been taken to task several times for honest mistakes by folks who now remind me of the chef in the Seinfeld episode where Elaine is told, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!"
Maybe Newman and Kraemer can help you out

http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows...episode&ep=721
rander7823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #16
dpg

Dumps/landfulls are getting crazy. I buy a recycle sticker at mine in Mass for the sole purpose of bring engine oil. Well, Saturday the shed was closed with a sign to see the attendant. I did and he had to open it for me, said people were "illegally" (SP?) dumping oil in there? How the heck do you do this? I wasn't in the mood or else I would of asked the fine man. Their newest thing is to sell stickers for trailers along WITH your car. They figure your able to haul more in if your a trailer owner so they need to get something to cover that . And then these towns wonder why people dump dishwashers at the side of the road.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:17 PM   #17
NeckLass

Default and again, no soup for you!

Yes, we’ve deviated from the original post . . . should we set up a fall weekend cleanup in our various towns to keep Winni’s many access roads free of trash? I think it’s a great idea and would help in setting it up in Meredith.

I’ve noticed blue bags of trash on the sides of my road in the last 3 or 4 days. Didn’t see who was collecting, but think the blue bags mean that it is Town initiated and that trash will be picked up by Town employees.

That doesn’t mean that something can’t be done by individuals. We should find out the various collection dates and schedule our pickup dates between those of the towns’. I often pick up trash while walking my dog. However, I get to handle it a second time to make it acceptable to Transfer Station recycling requirements. It would be great if those of us who would like to help by picking up trash (paper, bottles, cans, plastic) from the roadways be given the blue bags and some dispensation (is the trash in those blue bags sorted?) from sorting by the town/transfer station management. I doubt that this would happen unless there was a REAL effort to make it happen. So, we get to handle the trash of others twice . . . Guess that’s just a fact of life. (As an aside, I am transfixed by the ability of individuals traveling at 45+++ mph to toss an empty Budweiser can 20 feet into the woods!! What a talent!)

The issue of the “too good to toss” shop at the Meredith station deserves another paragraph. Scratch the surface of life in Meredith and you will find many people who do not live in huge houses on the lake . . . We all know that. So, if I have something I think might be of use to a neighbor, why can’t I give it away??? . . . thereby giving a needed item to another, plus saving the landfill. I agree that there should not be an employee of the Town who has to oversee this room/location. It just doesn’t make sense. Nor does charging for these items make sense.

There is so much “stuff” in the world. Look in your garage or closet, then do the multiplication by millions. We can all do with less . . . If you truly want to move items on to another, there are many churches and the Meredith Community Thrift Shop (all not-for-profits, where most workers volunteer and proceeds go to the benefit of the community). Donating items to these places is as easy as going to the Transfer Station. Your donation will be appreciated, and it will make you feel great to have done something for another. Pay It Forward!

I’ve endured some really rude treatment at the Meredith Transfer Station. Most of it remains beyond my comprehension. So be it. I’ll have to hope that the Town Manger and Select Persons address the situation. In the meantime, I’ll continue to abide by the rules and recycle . . . and take things that might benefit someone else to another place.

Oh, the Seinfeld episode I referred to in anther post is found at http://www.sonypictures.com/tv/shows...episode&ep=706
NeckLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 04:26 PM   #18
jlrm73

Default We do it!

We do it at least twice a year at the Alton end of 11B...it's unbelievable what we find...each time is crazier. We keep seeing empty Canadian Club jugs at the same spot...it's amazing. In the spring, we picked up 12 in a one mile stretch...he/she must finish the jug right around there every night!!!!!
We have called the DOT a few times to get bags, and they never get back to us, so we just use our own and put it with our own trash.
We would be willing to join in...it's sickening how much litter there is. Disgusting.
jlrm73 is offline   Reply With Quote