Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-16-2016, 07:17 AM   #101
Phantom

Be great if you could punch in KLCI and see what come up

Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM   #102
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
Be great if you could punch in KLCI and see what come up

It's listed on the map. Laconia Airport with GPS coordinates.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
Phantom (02-16-2016)
Old 02-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #103
Rich

FYI, there is an Android app named "hover", it shows all the 'airports' around the lake. Almost 100% of the lake is near some sort of 'airport'.

The FAA B4UFLY app is only for IOS devices, they don't yet have an Andoid app. It's sort of a pain.

My quad (a drone) has a built in map now to show the local airports. I fly a 3D Robotics (that's the brand) Solo.

To those that think they can fly near Laconia airport with a drone due to the fact that it doesn't have a tower. Good lucK!

Laconia airport is very busy on weekends (I am right on the approach to Laconia depending on the wind direction) and know how busy it is. So much so that my boat gets black soot on it from the exhaust residue from the aircraft coming and going.

It's sort of sad that it seems that many people have registered private airstrips so close to the lake. All of these are in the FAA database. So if someone is flying anywhere withing 5 miles of these, are they legal or not? Ok, you can be an internet lawyer and say that 'only within 5 miles of a large airport), but I don't think this will get you very far if someone cries 'foul'.

Unfortunately there is a lot of hysteria about these drones right now. Many of these don't deserve this hysteria, as 'drones' (or quads as I like to call them) aren't as dangerous or being used for spying as many people think they are. I have both a drone and a photographic camera with a telephoto lens. Let me tell you, if I wanted to (and to be clear, I DO NOT want to), I could see a LOT more with a telephoto lens on my camera than I ever could with my drone.

If anyone would want to learn more about either, I'm happy to show you. Look at most of the drone photos you see on line, and you can barely make out who is being seen, but the landscape looks great. With my telephoto lens and 39 megapixel full frame camera, I can get much closer to you than you would like to know, if i wanted to (and as I said, I DO NOT).
Old 02-22-2016, 09:51 PM   #104
8gv

Many of the FAA regs are written in blood.

They seem to want to get ahead of the new UAV boom.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #105
Rich

most of the drone regs are coming from hysterical politicians that don't understand what they are doing. They almost created new laws in NH that would have shut down almost every Radio Control hobby flying field in the state. That would have been a shame!

For those that want to see how many 'airports' are close to the lake, check out this link:

https://app.airmap.io/#

In the search enter in KLCI (for Laconia airport) and scroll down to select the Laconia airport and then click the menu on the upper right hand and then also check the box on the right that says "Recreational 5 mile radius". You will see that most of the Lake is within 5 miles of some sort of airport. This airmap is the one used by DJI and 3DR (as well as the Hover app that I mentioned in a post above) to show where a recreational drone can and can't fly without notifying the airport operator, etc.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2016, 10:01 PM   #106
Rich

Oh sorry, I just noticed, this is hijacking a nice thread about photo's from a quad (drone). Sorry to add to the hysteria.

Really, people should not be frightened by these hobby drones. If you would like to learn more, I'd be happy to come by and show you how one works first hand.
Old 02-23-2016, 05:36 AM   #107
ApS

Question Inconsistent Circles...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
For those that want to see how many 'airports' are close to the lake, check out this link:

https://app.airmap.io/#
As indicated, the link shows most of the lake is covered by restrictions.

The one affecting Wolfeboro seems to be centered at Wolfeboro's former Airpark on Wolfeboro Neck, which still retains a heliport. That same Wolfeboro circle does not include Huggins Hospital, which has occasional helicopter DHART flights.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:32 AM   #108
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default When I look at it, Huggins is in the circle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

The one affecting Wolfeboro seems to be centered at Wolfeboro's former Airpark on Wolfeboro Neck, which still retains a heliport. That same Wolfeboro circle does not include Huggins Hospital, which has occasional helicopter DHART flights.

I see the circle covering the Clark Rd area where Huggins is located. When I zoom in, the circle breaks up and there is no color in that area, as the circle seems to break up into "chunks". I zoom back out and the area is in the circle. At least to my aged, cataract-infested, glycomic eyes.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:20 AM   #109
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I see the circle covering the Clark Rd area where Huggins is located. When I zoom in, the circle breaks up and there is no color in that area, as the circle seems to break up into "chunks". I zoom back out and the area is in the circle. At least to my aged, cataract-infested, glycomic eyes.
Zooming in too far seems to break the interface on the software. So zoom out and check out your location, if you can see a circle when you select "Recreational - 5 Mile Radius" then you are within something that is an airport. Zooming in doesn't alleviate you from being within 5 miles of the airport, it just makes it more difficult to see the radius of the no fly area.

In my home area (away from the lake) there are a lot of small heliports and other things, a lot of them are private, hospitals, etc.

Note, there also is a checkbox for "Show private airports". Check this ON for more information!

The interesting thing is that if you turn ON to show both "Recreational" use and also turn it ON so it will show "Private" airports, then zoom out enough, there barely is free space to fly here in New England. It looks like you need to be in northern Maine or perhaps some mountain tops in NH, ME, or VT.

Now, scroll down a bit more and turn on "Prohibited Special Use" and "Restricted Special Use" and "National Parks" and "NOAA Marine protected areas, oh, don't forget TFRs!!! (Temporary Flight Restrictions that may pop up from day to day), then scroll further down, and select "hospitals, Schools, Heliports, Power Plants and Private Properties (there is a site where homeowners can list their property as a 'no fly zone'); and good luck finding a place that is clear to fly your toy!

Really, there is too much hysteria about these things, but the each aircraft operator (full scale, model, quad, kite flyers, etc.) need to be aware of other aircraft in the area at all times. Wouldn't that make more sense than to say you can't fly your drone in your backyard at the lake (or wherever your home is) because someone registered a private airstrip, but they only use it 4 times a year, during the summer, when the weather is perfect.

Again, I think we've hijacked the original thread's intent to share his P3 photos.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:25 AM   #110
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post

You can click on any circle and it will give you the details of what that restriction is about. If the 'airport' has a phone number available, then it is included. As an example if you click on the point of the few circles that intersect in the Broads it lists:

"Airports (Recreational Rules)
Laconia Muni 603-524-5003
Loons Nest
Winter Harbor"
Old 02-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #111
ishoot308

Thanked 4,939 Times in 1,915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Zooming in too far seems to break the interface on the software. So zoom out and check out your location, if you can see a circle when you select "Recreational - 5 Mile Radius" then you are within something that is an airport. Zooming in doesn't alleviate you from being within 5 miles of the airport, it just makes it more difficult to see the radius of the no fly area.

In my home area (away from the lake) there are a lot of small heliports and other things, a lot of them are private, hospitals, etc.

Note, there also is a checkbox for "Show private airports". Check this ON for more information!

The interesting thing is that if you turn ON to show both "Recreational" use and also turn it ON so it will show "Private" airports, then zoom out enough, there barely is free space to fly here in New England. It looks like you need to be in northern Maine or perhaps some mountain tops in NH, ME, or VT.

Now, scroll down a bit more and turn on "Prohibited Special Use" and "Restricted Special Use" and "National Parks" and "NOAA Marine protected areas, oh, don't forget TFRs!!! (Temporary Flight Restrictions that may pop up from day to day), then scroll further down, and select "hospitals, Schools, Heliports, Power Plants and Private Properties (there is a site where homeowners can list their property as a 'no fly zone'); and good luck finding a place that is clear to fly your toy!

Really, there is too much hysteria about these things, but the each aircraft operator (full scale, model, quad, kite flyers, etc.) need to be aware of other aircraft in the area at all times. Wouldn't that make more sense than to say you can't fly your drone in your backyard at the lake (or wherever your home is) because someone registered a private airstrip, but they only use it 4 times a year, during the summer, when the weather is perfect.

Again, I think we've hijacked the original thread's intent to share his P3 photos.
What about people who fly kites in these areas...they can easily go just as high as a drone. What about ultralights?? These guys don't call the tower when they fly... Heck no one complains and they allow parasailing within 1/2 mile from the airport on Paugus bay and there's a human being hanging off a giant kite being pulled by a boat, but that's OK??!!

According to the FAA there were aproximately 11,000 bird / airplane strikes in 2013. http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_.../wildlife/faq/ ..anyone want to guess how many drone strikes there were?? Here an interesting Newsweek article that puts some perspective on it... http://www.newsweek.com/greater-thre...-drones-362708

I agree too much hysteria and more feel good legislation being considered and passed when there is far worse things to be worried about out there!

Dan
Old 02-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #112
Rich

Sorry, I keep reading earlier in this thread and want to answer...

someone said they would not be happy with a 'drone' flying over their property. I think this is caused by a lot of the unfounded hysteria about them, as most do not fully know what they are talking about.

Here's a good link to show what I was talking about, that a telephoto lens on a good camera is much more 'dangerous' (if it wanted to be) than any drone could ever be:

(NOTE: Don't look at the cover photo on the article, an average drone that most of us can afford and the type we are discussing in this thread can't carry a camera and lens this big!!! The cover photo was only to catch your visual attention)

http://petapixel.com/2015/08/21/are-...creep-you-out/

Could a drone fly lower over your property? Of course it could, but you would be VERY aware of it, they sound like 10,000 swarming bees, there is no way you would not notice it. If you can't hear it, then it's probably not close enough to worry about.

Fell free to be paranoid about these flying toys.... but 99.99999999% of the people flying them are nice, follow the rules, and have no interest in trying to 'peek' into your private life. The next time you see someone flying one, walk up and ask the person some questions about it. I'm sure they would love to tell you all about it (But please wait until they land to start asking questions).
Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 AM   #113
Accipiter290

I once had someone tell me that they felt their privacy was being violated while I was flying my drone over a PUBLIC park... *scratches head*.

I can't wait for all this hysteria to die down so I can enjoy my hobby without having to worry all the time. It's not like these are going away any time soon. They're only getting more popular. Get used to seeing them around!
Accipiter290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:16 PM   #114
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I agree too much hysteria and more feel good legislation being considered and passed when there is far worse things to be worried about out there!

Dan
Man does this sound familiar!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:00 PM   #115
8gv

Are we talking about LAWS enacted by legislative bodies or REGS promulgated by administrative agencies?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #116
Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
What about people who fly kites in these areas...they can easily go just as high as a drone. What about ultralights?? These guys don't call the tower when they fly... Heck no one complains and they allow parasailing within 1/2 mile from the airport on Paugus bay and there's a human being hanging off a giant kite being pulled by a boat, but that's OK??!!

According to the FAA there were aproximately 11,000 bird / airplane strikes in 2013. http://www.faa.gov/airports/airport_.../wildlife/faq/ ..anyone want to guess how many drone strikes there were?? Here an interesting Newsweek article that puts some perspective on it... http://www.newsweek.com/greater-thre...-drones-362708

Dan
I agree with you, more than you can imagine! Most of these things do happen, and no one has said that they can't fly within 5 miles of an airport, why?

Flying at a local model aircraft flying club, I've had a mid-air collision with my model aircraft and another model aircraft that was larger and heavier than a drone. My larger model aircraft, that is made out of soft, light balsa wood and some bits of plastic, just kept flying and I landed it. Yes, there was a small chunk taken out of it, and it definitely got 'hit', but I was able to land it with no problems, almost like nothing had happened. So now, that same 'drone' hits a full scale aircraft made out of aluminum, and it's strong enough to carry humans, and survive rough air, rough landings, bird strikes, etc. and which aircraft do think will 'win' in this mid-air collision? My bet is that the drone will be in pieces, and maybe, possibly they will be looking for a scratch or possibly a small dent on that full scale aircraft (maybe).

Could it be possible that there could be a worse outcome? Yes, of course! Am I saying that all drones are no threat to human carrying aircraft? NO!! But there is just too much hysteria about it!! Please stop these stories. It's just the national news trying to sensationalize these stories for ratings.

To answer your question: Very very few mid-air collisions occur with model aircraft, but they do sometimes happen once in a blue moon, because at a model aircraft club, there are often several of these aircraft flying at the same time, in the same very limited airspace. So sooner or later it can happen.
Old 02-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #117
wifi

My only concern is the ease of drones doing surveillance, either by mistake or on purpose. I have never heard of cams being mounted on kites and being directed to a specific location. Being the subject of past stalking, this figures in my thoughts.

I see the beauty of the videos posted here, and I envy the thought of owning one to remotely survey other property I own, OTOH, the thought of one buzzing over my personal space to monitor my life, also is a reality in my case.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:17 AM   #118
Rich

Just to answer your question, taking photos from the air, has been going on long before drones were around.

I've been doing it for 30 years from RC Aircraft. I have mounted video cameras, still cameras, video downlinks, etc. all from my aircraft.

Other's have been doing it from kites, poles (yes long poles), balloons, etc.

It's just that now the news has made a big deal about it, and of course, drones are easier to fly now, than RC aircraft in the past ever were.

Now you can get a very cheap drone for a few hundred dollars, and the thing will almost fly itself, and it has a camera included, all designed to easily take photos or videos.

In the past, it may not have cost much more money, but you had to spend a lot of time to learn how to fly it before you could ever hope to be able to successfully take photos, etc.

But to the surveillance comment, again I refer you to the previous link about the quality of what they see from the air:
http://petapixel.com/2015/08/21/are-...creep-you-out/
Or look at the photos from the first post in this thread, unless the drone is very very low, you can barely make out that there is as human in many of the photos. You certainly can't see much of any concern, or any personal details. It's not much different than worrying about an airplane flying by and someone looking out the window.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:54 PM   #119
Merrymeeting

Apparently The Boston Globe has picked up on your video. Congrats! (although the stock photo of another years Alton runway is a bit misleading)

http://www.boston.com/news/2016/02/2...ml?p1=story_hp
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Accipiter290 (02-25-2016), KPW (02-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 04:58 PM   #120
Denis D

Default AOPA info sheet

The Aircraft Owners & Pilots Association just published a pretty comprehensive fact sheet about flying drones near airports and other venues, lots of good info. Here is the link:

http://www.aopa.org/Pilot-Resources/...hip/Drones/UAS

Cheers,

Denis D
Old 04-27-2016, 01:48 AM   #121
ApS

Lightbulb Quality, Not So Much...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caloway View Post
You can see where this is going from a mile away. Two years from now we'll be looking at a drone layer on the Bizer map.

At the moment it's a novelty, but $1k is a pretty small entry fee for this crowd.
There's a pretty good range of prices at eBay:

Old 02-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #122
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
MAS1992bc ........ my wife begs you -PLEASE stop posting those awesome shots ....

Every time you post, Phantom raises a drone higher up on his list of "Toys needed to play with" !!

Love the shots .......... is it as easy to operate as all the you tubes indicate?

Okay --

Well it FINALLY happened !

I am now the owner of a Phantom 3 Standard !!

What amazes me is the lack of "Instructions" ---- not saying it's difficult, but all of the initial set up protocols I have learnt from "You Tubes" .... there is absolutely nothing printed anywhere.

Still haven't taken off for the Inaugural fight yet .... still making sure I understand it before getting underway.

My dilemma is that I have to find a location to fly it as I literally live in the shadows of Laconia's runway.

Old 02-22-2017, 05:12 PM   #123
Rich

Congrats on getting your drone.

I suggest you don't try to even turn it on with the propellers on inside at all. Also, do not try to fly this near the glideslope of any airport at all.

Go find a large open field, that is not under the glideslope of the airport at all, and keep all test flights low. Don't attempt to go too high, it's easy to get disoriented.

When you are operating it, keep the front (nose) of it away from you at all times, because when it is facing you, the controls will seem reversed and you will crash it.

I could go on and on, but I suggest you find a drone or RC specific web site for help

Good luck, have fun, be safe!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Phantom (02-23-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 10:19 AM   #124
Phantom

A couple of "tech" questions for those experienced Phantom 3 Std users.

(Things I'd like to know before I try)

(1) With my FTH (fly to home) set to 100ft, if I manually fly the drone back to the approx. initial take off/landing area hover at say 10' and then hit FTH to allow the drone to automatically land ------ will it first climb to the preset 100' and then land ? or simply descend from the 10' hovering height? (me thinks it will go up - which is a potential problem if I were under tree branches)

(2) What are your experiences with battery life

(3) Follow me mode -- this one I think I have a clear answer but will ask anyway -- If I put the drone in follow me mode, let it chase me for a bit, then hit FTH -- I am presuming the drone will fly home/ land in the spot that it initialized (took off from) not the relative proximity of the joystick/ controller..............

Which, in the case of a boat launch, would send the drone back to some unknown spot in the water for a swim

First short test flight accomplished --- and it is STILL in one piece -- but I must admit it came in with a "Hard Landing" ..........as nothing was broke (props), I gave up while I was ahead !! ........ there's gotta be some trick to shutting those engines off .... be great if there was a simple "red" button somewhere

Old 02-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #125
Rich

Questions like yours are why I said to go to a drone specific forum, you'll get much better answers.

Don't ever take off under a tree, or any other obstruction, be sure to have a clear area, and around the area, as the RTH function needs some fudge factor.

I don't have a P3, so I can't tell you specifics, but you can test your questions easily, but be ready to go into manual mode if you need to take over any automatic functions. Because of this, it's very important to do a lot of practice to be capable of flying in a manual mode, in case it ever screws up and starts doing something you don't want it to when in an auto mode.

Yes, flying from a boat has many unique problems to think about! RTH is one of them. Even if you set the home location when you are anchored, what if the boat drifted on the anchor? At least it will come close to where you are. Also, if things go wrong, it will end up in the water, at least on Winni that is fresh water, but drones don't float! Also, those propellers can cause damage to people, isinglass and perhaps canvas, plan and be safe!

Follow me mode hopefully will do that (follow you), but what if something goes wrong, it probably will go to your home location, but if a drone was designed properly, when in follow me mode, you may want the drone to come back to a place where you were recently, OR you may want it to go home (every flight could be different). You also may want it to do a "hover and wait" on RTH, so if you have to get your boat into position before it lands in the water before you land manually.

I've been flying a drone for a while, but not a P3. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Phantom (02-23-2017), Wiezy (02-23-2017)