Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #1
Waco1148

Default Insurance for island properties

Having trouble getting homeowners/fire insurance for an island property, they say that in case of fire it would be a total loss, therefore won't issue a fire policy. There are hundreds of cottages and homes on unbridged islands on Winni, some much nicer than mine. Hard to believe that none of them have insurance, so what do they have? Would appreciate any advice on this subject.
Waco1148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:04 AM   #2
Sue Doe-Nym

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco1148 View Post
Having trouble getting homeowners/fire insurance for an island property, they say that in case of fire it would be a total loss, therefore won't issue a fire policy. There are hundreds of cottages and homes on unbridged islands on Winni, some much nicer than mine. Hard to believe that none of them have insurance, so what do they have? Would appreciate any advice on this subject.
I just talked to our Allstate agent in Wolfeboro. They might be able to help you.
Jon Clark or Courtney Corbett @569-0110. Good luck.
Sue
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
Formula260SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waco1148 View Post
Try State farm
Formula260SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Also try an independent agency like NFP or Cross.

https://www.co-opinsurance.com/agent...s-Wolfeboro-NH

We were setup with the Concord Group insurance by NFP. In order to cover the island property, we also had to list our home and auto insurance with them.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 11:12 AM   #5
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Mine happens to be with Liberty Mutual. My understanding is they usually do thius as accommodation to existing customers, not as a lead line. That could have changed since I started many years ago.
There are other threads here that discuss this issue, many local agents who will cover island properties. Whoever handles your primary home/auto/boat, even if out of state, should be the first call. If all your business is scattered, it will be more difficult.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2021, 12:54 PM   #6
Diana

Melchor and Prescott got ours for us, i think it's Vermont mutual.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 03:30 PM   #7
The Real BigGuy

I recently got a policy from Liberty Mutual thru Geico when I bundled my home, auto, and Island home with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #8
CowTimes

We and a few of our island neighbors go through Avery Insurance in Wolfeboro. We have had our policy through Phenix Mutual for probably 10+ years, and I know that they also do island insurance through Hanover (but I think Hanover requires you to do a bundle for them to cover island properties). My suggestion is to go through a local insurance agency around the lake like Avery, as island property insurance seems to raise a whole bunch of peculiarities that most agents/companies aren’t familiar with (I recall the fact that we drew water from the lake instead of a well was somehow an issue for a lot of companies, and that was just one of the issues when I tried to find an insurance company on my own).
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 08:50 PM   #9
Winilyme

Call these guys. Very helpful and responsive. They'll hook you up with some options.

https://the-insurance-outlet.com/
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2021, 09:14 PM   #10
codeman671

We use Hanover and bundle with our home and vehicles.
It was much cheaper and gave us all of the same liability coverages and benefits our main house has. Other providers were just offering a fire loss only policy for 2x what we pay.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 01:01 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I have State Farm. They did dictate the terms of the policy and coverage limits since I also carry an umbrella policy with them. It’s pretty much written up as a catastrophic policy due to the location it’s expected that if something like a fire were to break out the building would be a total loss. Coverage is identical in terms of comparing to my primary residence just that the cost is more due to the aforementioned. Annual cost is not bad since I use them for everything and heavily discount bundled insurance policies.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:22 PM   #12
Bear Islander

A few years ago we did a survey of where Bear Island residents got their insurance. Some carriers will keep you on if you are grandfathered. Some will take you if you bundle with other insurance. Some offer limited policies.

The only carrier we could find that was writing new, stand alone, full coverage was Lloyds. The American version of Lloyds of London. We are signed up with them through Decotis www.decotis.com However there are other agents that use Lloyds.
Bear Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #13
Mink Islander

Default LLoyds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Islander View Post
A few years ago we did a survey of where Bear Island residents got their insurance. Some carriers will keep you on if you are grandfathered. Some will take you if you bundle with other insurance. Some offer limited policies.

The only carrier we could find that was writing new, stand alone, full coverage was Lloyds. The American version of Lloyds of London. We are signed up with them through Decotis www.decotis.com However there are other agents that use Lloyds.
Lloyd’s is where we ended up a few years ago when our prior insurer (where we were bundling all our business), dropped us on the island homeowners. Needless to say, we moved all or other business….
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 09:13 PM   #14
Keel Holler

When we bought our island place a couple years ago, we had the same problem. We had used State Farm for years for other property and cars, but State Farm wouldn’t insure the island place. We called around, but kept finding that companies just automatically refused island property.
Anyway, we ended up using Avery in Wolfeboro, and we could only get bundled insurance. We moved all our policies to Hanover. In all- I second CowTimes & suggest you talk to Avery or another local agency.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Keel Holler is offline   Reply With Quote