Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-20-2015, 11:59 AM   #1
randalnh

Default NH F&G Boat Ramp in Alton

I know that the NH Fish & Games Department acquired the boat launch that used to be known as Downings Landing. I have used the ramp before (long time ago) and I am curious if the F&G has improved it at all?

Also wondering if any frequent users know how the parking situation (truck & trailer) is and if you can leave your truck/trailer overnight.

Thanks
randalnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:20 PM   #2
NH_boater

Let me take a stab at this....

- parking overnight not permitted
- parking is all over the place (not between the lines) quite often, especially on busy weekends (no supervision)
- Docks falling into the water and piers are cracked or missing (poor maintenance)
- Trailer spots are some times occupied by cars at dockside restaurant (parking for restaurant across the street)
- Ramp grade is very poor with an 8' hole from inconsiderate boats power-loading, although clearly marked otherwise (no supervision)
- Some folks will occasionally jump lines rather than waiting their turns (no supervision)
- Occasionally a boat will sit in the way on the ramp dock, either waiting for shopping family, replacing dead battery or trying to start their motor.

Not as nice top deal with, in my opinion, as before when it was private and paid.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (08-20-2015)
Old 08-20-2015, 01:37 PM   #3
noreast

The ramp is awful from the power loading, you have to go very close to the dock or one side of your trailer will be about 2' lower than the other. Not easy for a tri-toon. Also if it's damp you might need 4wd to pull trailer out of the hole.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
Dave R

You can park overnight, just not more than 24 hours, if memory serves.

Power loading has made a mess of the ramp, but I can still use it without any issues and I've never engaged four wheel drive (and I'm pretty sure my auto-locking rear diff has not auto-locked) to get my 7400 lb boat/trailer out.

Parking fills fast, I get there early and never have a problem though.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:30 PM   #5
dave603

I've been to a number of F&G ramps in the state, and there is usually an F&G warden at them.
They direct loading and launching when it's crowded. And I have heard them stop power loading.

Is there some reason that there isn't anyone at that ramp?
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
Woodguy53

Was there last week. Marine patrol was tied up to the side dock watching as a bass boat power loaded - didn't say a word to him
Woodguy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:33 PM   #7
NH_boater

Seen them there many times. Quick to have conversation. Never seen them guide, lead, direct or correct. Heard they were giving parking tickets to illegal parkers (car top launchers in trailer spots) but never saw it myself.
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NH_boater For This Useful Post:
wynndog (08-21-2015)
Old 08-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #8
Dave R

I was there on the Saturday morning of Memorial Day weekend and there was a F&G officer directing things and trying to maintain rapid progress. That's the only time I have ever seen anyone of authority there. I had launched the night before so I was not part of the problem (I was picking up passengers and tied up out of the way), but it sure was entertaining.

When the Downings ramp is really busy at the end of the day, I've tied up at the town docks, walked over to get my truck/trailer, and retrieved my boat at the town ramp which is rarely busy. Never had to launch there, but I'd certainly consider it if need be, just to be part of the solution if the Downings ramp was slammed.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 10:55 AM   #9
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Default Alton Ramp

The Alton ramp is pretty great. The biggest problem is the parking spaces that inhibit a truck and trailer backing up. If they would just lose a few, it would be so much better.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #10
dave603

Sounds to me like F & G and MP should be able to ticket and fine someone power loading. The signs are there, and maybe a fine will stop it.
Plus support F&G.
dave603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 08:30 PM   #11
randalnh

So it sounds like no improvements have been made since F&G acquired the site. Is that it? Why don't they start charging a modest fee, $10 or $20, like most of the other launches do and use the money to fix up the ramp, facilities, etc.? Just sounds like they did not have a plan when they bought the site.
randalnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 09:02 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Does either the Marine Patrol or the Fish & Game really ticket vehicles that have roof racks for a kayak or canoe that are parked in a double parking spot designed for a trailered boat and tow vehicle because these paddle vessels do not pay any boat registration fee? Could be they figure anyone who can afford either a Thule or Yakima roof rack has the bucks to shell out another $75 to the state by way of a state kayak ticket?

What about a car-topped 10' jon-boat equipped with a 2-hp outboard and bow registration numbers which has paid about $39/year to register. It would seem this car topper has just as much legal right to a double parking spot designed for a trailer and tow vehicle because it has paid the same registration fee to the F & G for the jon boat registration as if it were towing a trailer......and there's no single parking spots designated for a car topped boat that is also a state registered boat in the facility.

Is there an attorney on board here who specializes in mitigating those pesty parking tickets received at NH state boat launch ramps?
Old 08-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #13
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalnh View Post
So it sounds like no improvements have been made since F&G acquired the site. Is that it? Why don't they start charging a modest fee, $10 or $20, like most of the other launches do and use the money to fix up the ramp, facilities, etc.? Just sounds like they did not have a plan when they bought the site.
Because it is difficult, if not impossible, to have a user fee be targeted to upkeep.

... General fund
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:50 AM   #14
fatlazyless

Because the state launch ramps that access Newfound, Squam, Winnisquam, and now with Downing's Landing in Alton Bay on Winnipesaukee, the State F & G has built free-to-use access constructed with boater registration fees ...... that's the plan and they are sticking to it ....... Live Free or Die!

Downing's was just purchased about 18-months ago for 1-million dollars, and the F & G deserves a lot of kudos for getting that done. Sooner or later, the ramp, dock and parking will all get up-graded to a much better construction quality ....... the F & G is just waiting for the money to show up ......where's the money.......where's the money ....where's the money?

Can you believe this.....u-know there was a high ranking F & G officer ....just the other day....down at the Curbside Treasures Pawn Shop on Elm St, next to the Winnipesaukee Lakeport Dam ...... anyway.....he was there inside the pawn shop wanting to pawn his bright red dress F & G uniform for 20-dollars cash.....so's he could get some cash to gas up the F & G pickup and get back to the F & G district office ......honest!

When there's no money....not much gets done.....like, why is that? (pssst-ditto that for the state owned Meredith Neck Rd)
Old 08-23-2015, 09:29 AM   #15
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by randalnh View Post
If you look at your boat registration there is already a built in "access" fee that is paid on every registration. One would think the money collected by those fees are used to purchase and maintain such launches. If you encourage this you know it will go into place, never go away and always go up never down.

I'm sure the state is well aware of the current condition of the ramp and parking situation there, this was well known and a problem at the time the place was purchased. The parking is what it is, but the ramp certainly can be fixed along with the docks in due time. The powerloading problem occurs everywhere, this should come as no surprise and no sign is going to stop people from doing it. If the ramp is repaired correctly though I think the power loading erosion problem can be somewhat mitigated. Solid concrete slabs that extend well into the lake seem to be the best from what I have seen.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:20 AM   #16
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Does either the Marine Patrol or the Fish & Game really ticket vehicles that have roof racks for a kayak or canoe that are parked in a double parking spot designed for a trailered boat and tow vehicle because these paddle vessels do not pay any boat registration fee? Could be they figure anyone who can afford either a Thule or Yakima roof rack has the bucks to shell out another $75 to the state by way of a state kayak ticket?

What about a car-topped 10' jon-boat equipped with a 2-hp outboard and bow registration numbers which has paid about $39/year to register. It would seem this car topper has just as much legal right to a double parking spot designed for a trailer and tow vehicle because it has paid the same registration fee to the F & G for the jon boat registration as if it were towing a trailer......and there's no single parking spots designated for a car topped boat that is also a state registered boat in the facility.

Is there an attorney on board here who specializes in mitigating those pesty parking tickets received at NH state boat launch ramps?
They only allow vehicles with trailers, because there is no other place to put them. It has nothing to do with anything else that you mentioned. Cars can park in any small spot pretty much anywhere. Vehicles with trailers-not so much.
Old 03-11-2016, 05:56 PM   #17
Just Sold

Visited Alton Bay and the condition of the F&G launch at Downings Landing are in horrible condition. I wonder when they intend to do something especially since someone could easily get injured on the docks at the launch. Ice Out is close and people will be launching there as soon as it happens.
Attached Images