Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2015, 02:48 PM   #1
Tackleman

Default Apple TV/Ruko

I have been reading some posts about streaming TV and I'm quite tied of paying for two cable TV bills. One at the house and one at the lake. I have comcast at the house the metrocast at the lake. All my wife watches is Fox New and HGTV 24/7. I've read that you have to have two different accounts so that two TV can play different stations at the same time. Does that mean that I have to get two apple TV boxes and or two ruko boxes? I'm not tech man by any means. What is the best way to do this?
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

A Roku has a single output, one HDMI for the Roku 3. It is designed to operate with one TV. While you could split the signal to two TVs, both would see the same thing. To have separate content on two TVs you would need two Roku units and high enough internet download speed to support the 2 units.

BTW, while Roku has a wide range of channels, live network TV is generally not available unless you also have a cable subscription.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Tackleman (03-03-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 05:09 PM   #3
HellRaZoR004

Default Slingbox

I think what you want is a slingbox. Takes what you are watching at home and displays it somewhere else. You still need cable at home (or one location really)...

http://www.slingbox.com/DiscoverSling

I've never tried it...
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HellRaZoR004 For This Useful Post:
Tackleman (03-03-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:52 PM   #4
LongBay

Default More options

I recently switched over to Internet streaming and use a combo of Google Chromecast and Apple iPad. I then downloaded CBS, FOX, NBC, ABC, WMUR, Netflix, Xfinity, You Tube and a bunch of other apps onto my iPad so I can watch whatever...whenever.

I am patiently waiting for Apple to come out with their next generation of Apple TV before I add a higher end device to replace the Chromecast device.

The slingbox sounds like a good option so you can watch more live programming and any other premium channels you may have already subscribed to. I am now looking into slingbox as an addition to my tech arsenal (thank you Hell for the suggestion).
LongBay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LongBay For This Useful Post:
Tackleman (03-03-2015)
Old 03-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #5
Charlie T

Default Roku and Sling Box

If you get a Roku box for each TV at the lake there are a plethora of free internet channels that you will be able to access. You will also in many cases be able to access many of the premium channels that you pay for at home. It's simply a matter of downloading the channel on the Roku and then registering it thru your local home cable TV provider. Go to Roku.com and look at the available channel line up. Ton's of free stuff that is worthwhile plus some pay stuff that I don't bother with at the lake.

If you buy a Sling box and connect it to your cable box at home you will be able to stream any channel that you get at home thru the Sling box and watch it on any internet connected device. At the lake you could stream the Slingbox content thru your Roku box, just download the free Slingbox app onto your Roku account.

BTW I successfully streamed thru Roku at the lake when I only had DSL service thru Fairpoint. I now have a 15 meg line thru Metrocast and I operate 2-3 Roku's at the same time with no issue in most cases.

Good luck
CT
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie T For This Useful Post:
Tackleman (03-03-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2015, 08:38 AM   #6
gslpro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
I think what you want is a slingbox. Takes what you are watching at home and displays it somewhere else. You still need cable at home (or one location really)...

http://www.slingbox.com/DiscoverSling

I've never tried it...
I second this! (Well third now that read the rest of the posts)
I use SlingBox, and still do, when my wife needed the RedSox games on the boat. I love it. I can watch MY TV from anywhere with an internet connection on my phone, ipad, computer, whatever. I have my iphone outputted to my surround sound system on the boat. I watch all of my home cable channels, and also even my DVR'ed shows while I am away. I can also set my DVR to record a show if I forgot to while I was home. And, I love that it is a onetime buy. I hate monthly bills.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gslpro For This Useful Post:
Tackleman (03-03-2015)
Old 03-03-2015, 10:08 AM   #7
Tackleman

Default Slingbox/Ruko

So if I understand this correctly. I purchase a slingbox at my home and purchase two ruko units for my camp my wife and I can watch every channel at my house at the summer home? By purchasing two ruko units I can watch two different shows at the same time at the summer home correct?
Tackleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
HellRaZoR004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleman View Post
So if I understand this correctly. I purchase a slingbox at my home and purchase two ruko units for my camp my wife and I can watch every channel at my house at the summer home? By purchasing two ruko units I can watch two different shows at the same time at the summer home correct?
I'm not positive but I think you would need two slingbox's to watch two shows simultaneously. As I understand it just captures what's being sent to your TV at home (albeit powered off) to a roku (or similar device) at a remote location.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts
Default Netflix

We have a Roku on the island with 1.6 mbps DSL and one at home with much higher speed internet.

We have a $7.99/month Netflix account that allows for 2 simultaneous viewings (different devices and content). One of us can watch via the Roku/TV connection and the other on a tablet with the Netflix app.

Roku does have a Sling channel so you can team the two together:
http://www.slingbox.com/roku
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote