Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 07:43 PM   #1
Retired At Last

Default Another Eye Sore in Paugus Bay

Seems the floating shoe box (resembles Tony Beets dredge on Gold Rush) that was kicked out of Alton and the Wiers (so I was told) has surfaced at the sand bar in Paugus Bay. Monday we headed to the sand bar for a relaxing day on the water and was greeted by the ugly and now obnoxious floating box. It was anchored right in the middle of the sand bar blocking boaters movements and their views along with blaring music that could be heard a mile away.

What is the fascination with this? Am I missing something here? Why do the owners of this ark think I want to listen to their musical choices and not my own? I guess anyone that is good with this is because it's not parked at their favorite spot or in their front yard where they would have to look at and listen to it. You think the owners of the newly being built $900k condos at the old Barton's Motel property are loving this? How about the Margate's guests?

Let's see how long this lasts!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retired At Last For This Useful Post:
bigdog (07-08-2021), DotRat (07-07-2021), MotorHead (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired At Last View Post
Seems the floating shoe box (resembles Tony Beets dredge on Gold Rush) that was kicked out of Alton and the Wiers (so I was told) has surfaced at the sand bar in Paugus Bay. Monday we headed to the sand bar for a relaxing day on the water and was greeted by the ugly and now obnoxious floating box. It was anchored right in the middle of the sand bar blocking boaters movements and their views along with blaring music that could be heard a mile away.

What is the fascination with this? Am I missing something here? Why do the owners of this ark think I want to listen to their musical choices and not my own? I guess anyone that is good with this is because it's not parked at their favorite spot or in their front yard where they would have to look at and listen to it. You think the owners of the newly being built $900k condos at the old Barton's Motel property are loving this? How about the Margate's guests?

It's called the Dive and there's already a thread on it.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:02 PM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:

This is old news it’s been in Paugus Bay since the spring. Margate and the new condos do not own the lake just like nobody else owns the lake. The dive has a right to be there like everybody else. Did you happen to notice when you went by that everybody was having a fantastic time there.

Again as I said in another thread it’s a place I would maybe go once a year and it’s not for everybody but the crowds that go there really do enjoy it so as long as no laws are being broken there’s nothing anybody can do about it. Live and let live.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-08-2021), Descant (07-07-2021), Shreddy (07-12-2021), subaruliving (07-18-2021), TomF (07-10-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 09:45 PM   #4
4 for Boating

Default Silly Question

Question > Is it possible for that boat/barge to pass under the bridge?
Old 07-07-2021, 10:51 PM   #5
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
This is old news it’s been in Paugus Bay since the spring. Margate and the new condos do not own the lake just like nobody else owns the lake. The dive has a right to be there like everybody else. Did you happen to notice when you went by that everybody was having a fantastic time there.

Again as I said in another thread it’s a place I would maybe go once a year and it’s not for everybody but the crowds that go there really do enjoy it so as long as no laws are being broken there’s nothing anybody can do about it. Live and let live.

While I have not been there this week, I have been out on Paugas Bay several times this season and not seen it at the sandbar yet.

I was also not aware that they were broadcasting music, they definitely will not make friends overpowering the lake with speaker power.

I think the success of the MT Washington, the Tiki Boats and other commercial watercraft is that they keep moving. Parking and taking up huge chunks of space and blaring music is probably not a recipe for success.

Is there some reason they park as opposed to cruise? I may well have missed something in the various other threads about the basic concept.
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (07-08-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2021, 12:01 AM   #6
Retired At Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post

Again as I said in another thread it’s a place I would maybe go once a year and it’s not for everybody but the crowds that go there really do enjoy it so as long as no laws are being broken there’s nothing anybody can do about it. Live and let live
I agree that nobody owns the lake but if this barge was anchored in front of your home or business with wake boat loud speakers how would you feel about that? Or maybe your inside the 1 mile no wake zone in Meredith where the town would never allow this anyways so it really doesn't matter to you.
Old 07-08-2021, 06:57 AM   #7
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post

Is there some reason they park as opposed to cruise? I may well have missed something in the various other threads about the basic concept.
It is way under powered to do that!! At top speed it can barely push through a light breeze. Unless they put new motors on it this year.

Also, I have a question: Where is it docking at night? If I recall, it can't anchor all night, that's illegal right?
The Following User Says Thank You to chachee52 For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-18-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 07:24 AM   #8
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
I agree that nobody owns the lake but if this barge was anchored in front of your home or business with wake boat loud speakers how would you feel about that? Or maybe your inside the 1 mile no wake zone in Meredith where the town would never allow this anyways so it really doesn't matter to you.
That was the issue in East Alton-at least one that I heard of. The loud noise and music bothered the neighbors.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:42 AM   #9
Dblblkdiam

Luckily, a cemetery is behind the margate sandbar and I think those residents are OK with it
The Following User Says Thank You to Dblblkdiam For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 07:48 AM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
Question > Is it possible for that boat/barge to pass under the bridge?
Yes it can.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 08:06 AM   #11
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for boating View Post
question > is it possible for that boat/barge to pass under the bridge?
only at low tide...;-)
Old 07-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #12
GodSmile

Default Wearing out welcome

I think the biggest issue is they tend to show up at the same place everyday. If you happen to live near there it does get old.

What's the over - under on how long it takes them to wear out their welcome in Paugus?
Old 07-08-2021, 08:22 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dblblkdiam View Post
Luckily, a cemetery is behind the margate sandbar and I think those residents are OK with it
Well if that's the case-----
Old 07-08-2021, 09:10 AM   #14
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSmile View Post
I think the biggest issue is they tend to show up at the same place everyday. If you happen to live near there it does get old.

What's the over - under on how long it takes them to wear out their welcome in Paugus?
Sort of. If they were at a different place every day nobody would have time to complain, but it would still be considered a loud eyesore in most places. Many on both sides had hoped last year's permanent Weirs location would solve the problem
Old 07-08-2021, 09:32 AM   #15
GodSmile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Sort of. If they were at a different place every day nobody would have time to complain, but it would still be considered a loud eyesore in most places. Many on both sides had hoped last year's permanent Weirs location would solve the problem
True, myself included.
The Following User Says Thank You to GodSmile For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 09:37 AM   #16
AC2717

i am on the other side of the Margate. I like/support the dive, but as stated above, I do not want to hear it at Paugus every Saturday and Sunday. Notice I said hear and not see. In this case it would be a noise nuisance moving into an area and not the other way around, so Margate and neighbors could have some clout

If they are at the sandbar every weekend and not blaring music off the deck, July 4th being an exception to me and other big days. I'm 100% cool with that
Top-Water (07-08-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 10:47 AM   #17
panther

Arrived in Braun Bay today. Not sure anyone is there given the weather.
Old 07-08-2021, 05:40 PM   #18
bigdog

I hear some folks saying out of one side of their mouth they are in favor of this barge, with a live and let live attitude, and on the other side of their mouth their saying 'NIMBY'.... Just my observation.....

Personally, I don't see how this venture can have a positive cash flow, after making the payments, paying the staff, food and supplies.
i think if were located on the ocean it would be better received.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
TomF (07-10-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 06:08 PM   #19
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
I hear some folks saying out of one side of their mouth they are in favor of this barge, with a live and let live attitude, and on the other side of their mouth their saying 'NIMBY'.... Just my observation.....

Personally, I don't see how this venture can have a positive cash flow, after making the payments, paying the staff, food and supplies.
I really do not see people waffling here. They are either for or against. As I stated live and let live. I would have no problem with the dive near me. As long as they are operating legally I have no issues.

Last edited by joey2665; 07-09-2021 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:29 PM   #20
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
It is way under powered to do that!! At top speed it can barely push through a light breeze. Unless they put new motors on it this year.

Also, I have a question: Where is it docking at night? If I recall, it can't anchor all night, that's illegal right?
All they need is 6 more 250 outboards and they could get up on plane and cruise the lake at 20 mph.

I've got to pay it a visit at some point, just to say I've been there.
Old 07-08-2021, 07:51 PM   #21
Tank151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
It's called the Dive and there's already a thread on it.
This craft is a "Dive" and should be abolished from the lake! Don't put it in the class of the Mt. Washington, Sophie or Dorie E. It's a **** box!
Old 07-09-2021, 07:34 AM   #22
Phantom

Go figure, just what we need .......... another DIVE bashing thread
Descant (07-09-2021), joey2665 (07-09-2021), TomF (07-10-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 04:54 PM   #23
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

I don't think they are getting rich, but they must be making some type of profit in order to survive on business just three months a year (on average).

It may be better received on the ocean, but I wonder if the boat is capable of being in the ocean (i.e. seaworthy). I would question how the boat would do in consistent rough waters and strong waves.
Old 07-09-2021, 05:42 PM   #24
ITD

I think there is a precedent issue here. Everyone, or most people are ok with one of these floating bars. How do they feel about 10 or 15 of them? It becomes a slippery slope.
Old 07-09-2021, 07:56 PM   #25
Retired At Last

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I think there is a precedent issue here. Everyone, or most people are ok with one of these floating bars. How do they feel about 10 or 15 of them? It becomes a slippery slope.
Good point - where does it end? I still say anyone that says they are okay with this floating pile is full of it. They definitely would not be okay with it if it was in their front yard every day no matter what they want you to believe here. This is not the Mount or a Tikkihut cruising by - it's like an old mobil home without a leased parking spot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retired At Last For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-18-2021), joey2665 (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 04:23 PM   #26
Patofnaud

Dead horse meets boot again.....

Yes it is in Paugus, no it is not in front of anyone's house, not it does not blare music all day and yes it does draw business.

As for the shoebox, it is not any bigger than the shoebox houseboat to the left of Margate that has been there for ages, but no one complains. And shorter than the 3 story shoeboxes standing on end on the lakeside drive that blocks views.

Posturing and speculation rise again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Patofnaud For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (07-12-2021)
Old 07-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #27
joey2665

Quote:
Good point - where does it end? I still say anyone that says they are okay with this floating pile is full of it. They definitely would not be okay with it if it was in their front yard every day no matter what they want you to believe here. This is not the Mount or a Tikkihut cruising by - it's like an old mobil home without a leased parking spot.
So self righteous you cannot sit here and possibly know what people would feel if the dive we stopped in front of their house or near their house you’re making a complete assumption.

Old 07-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #28
codeman671

Quote:
Well unless you are a resident of the cemetery, voting and forum posting from the grave, it isn't in front of your house either.

I would not want it in front of my house, but then again I live in an area that it would not frequent. They are parked in front of a place where nobody lives.

While I don't think their business plan was the best thought out, they have a right to do business. Still baffled why they blew up the deal at the Weirs....They spent a lot of time and money to get it approved. the controversy was over, they had a home.
Old 07-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #29
winni83

Interesting thread on the Dive's Face Book page. Apparently the Board of Directors of Bayside Cemetery on Paugus Bay has formally complained to the Dive about the activities of the Dive and some of its patrons. So even the dead are upset.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:26 AM   #30
fatlazyless

Default ..... Jamie's 7:37 video soliloquy-July 12 facebook

Inquiring mind: Will the www.baysidecemeterynh.com and the adjacent Margate under water sandbar become The Dive's final resting spot?

Solilioquy definition: An act of speaking one's thoughts aloud when by oneself or regardless of any hearers, especially by a character in a play.

Best bet for The Dive: find a way to return to that Weirs Beach, public dock location ..... that spot was a doable, golden, happening and happy location. It could have been the greatest Weirs Beach go-to drinking spot in the history of Weirs Beach ....... oh well.

As a complete non-drinker, I can only say; why do people like to drink ....... I'll never get it?

Hey ..... for $40 you can now take a Weirs Beach, 4-6pm, two hour booze cruise on the new and happening 56' long, MV Winnipesaukee Spirit ....... adult beverages and light fare available and plenty easy parking nearby. It probably moves along at something like 18-knots.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 07-13-2021 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-13-2021, 02:51 PM   #31
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
Interesting thread on the Dive's Face Book page. Apparently the Board of Directors of Bayside Cemetery on Paugus Bay has formally complained to the Dive about the activities of the Dive and some of its patrons. So even the dead are upset.
I went and checked that out—interesting perspectives from both sides. Just below that thread, though, is self-shot video of the live band that kinda puts to rest how loud the vessel is.

Also, again, it seems to be consistency rather than variation that has this new group upset.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #32
AC2717

the dive was back there this past weekend, happy to report, unless you saw it would not even know it was there, no loud crazy music. As I said before, being a neighbor I am fine with it there as long as its not like july 4th was every day, which seems to be their plan, big days, loud and fun, most days, calm and cool
DotRat (07-14-2021)
Old 07-14-2021, 10:24 PM   #33
Retired At Last

Quote:
That didn't take too long did it - I'm not surprised at all.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:45 AM   #34
CK5 Truck

what is with some of you people? Its almost like some of you were born to bitch and complain about everything...here's something that most people should automatically know...the world does not revolve around YOU! So what you dont like something, get over it! Do you think everyone likes what you do, say or chose? They dont, but they are adults and keep living their lives. So you live on the lake, yeah yeah yeah big deal, nobody cares anymore, your constant whining about what you want to see or hear is getting old. If the general public bothers you so much then maybe living in an area where people congregate isnt for you. Maybe its time to take your crying ass to say someplace with less people say like Siberia, problem solved! Maybe its time for people to start petitions to your town and start complaining they dont like the color of your house or the car you drive and demanding you change it or it gets torn down...STFU already! (and for the record Ive never been on the Dive but I believe in their right to exist and earn a living)
The Following User Says Thank You to CK5 Truck For This Useful Post:
WinterHarborGuy (07-17-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:14 AM   #35
Mink Islander

Default Last I checked….

The very definition of a forum is to debate ideas. You don’t have to agree with them. You don’t even have to engage in the discussion if you don’t want to. I often strongly disagree with some of the perspectives on this forum. But I learn some things now and again too that I hadn’t thought of. That’s sort of the point, isn’t it?

But to jump on here and issues a slew of angry personal attacks and tell people to, (and I’m paraphrasing) keep their opinions to themselves, is an excellent example of cancel culture, is it not? And it cuts against exactly why the forum exists. There’s a difference between debating each other and attacking each other is my point.

Have a nice day!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mink Islander For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (07-15-2021), ApS (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:24 AM   #36
CK5 Truck

except there is no debate with these types of people their only view is everything is bothersome and everything has to go, so I gave them some things to think about such as move or understand the next people might not like their houses of cars, so if thats not giving them feedback and ideas than IDK what is...gotta learn how to comprehend not just read...
Old 07-15-2021, 09:09 AM   #37
LikeLakes

Who exactly are "these types of people"?
Old 07-15-2021, 09:38 AM   #38
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK5 Truck View Post
what is with some of you people? Its almost like some of you were born to bitch and complain about everything...here's something that most people should automatically know...the world does not revolve around YOU! So what you dont like something, get over it! Do you think everyone likes what you do, say or chose? They dont, but they are adults and keep living their lives. So you live on the lake, yeah yeah yeah big deal, nobody cares anymore, your constant whining about what you want to see or hear is getting old. If the general public bothers you so much then maybe living in an area where people congregate isnt for you. Maybe its time to take your crying ass to say someplace with less people say like Siberia, problem solved! Maybe its time for people to start petitions to your town and start complaining they dont like the color of your house or the car you drive and demanding you change it or it gets torn down...STFU already! (and for the record Ive never been on the Dive but I believe in their right to exist and earn a living)
Weird and hypocritical to send an uncompromising, hostile diatribe about other people not having open minds
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (07-15-2021), kawishiwi (07-26-2021), ronc4424 (07-15-2021), TiltonBB (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 06:48 PM   #39
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
Who exactly are "these types of people"?
Old Money.
Old 07-15-2021, 10:08 PM   #40
AB_Monterey

Quote:
except there is no debate with these types of people their only view is everything is bothersome and everything has to go, so I gave them some things to think about such as move or understand the next people might not like their houses of cars, so if thats not giving them feedback and ideas than IDK what is...gotta learn how to comprehend not just read...
You learn punctuation and I'll work on comprehension.
The Following User Says Thank You to AB_Monterey For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (07-16-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 04:55 PM   #41
CK5 Truck

Quote:
Weird and hypocritical to send an uncompromising, hostile diatribe about other people not having open minds
wow I guess I touched a nerve with you, maybe you recognize yourself in the post?
The Following User Says Thank You to CK5 Truck For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 06:36 PM   #42
FlyingScot

Quote:
wow I guess I touched a nerve with you, maybe you recognize yourself in the post?
Absolutely--I've made up my mind on The Dive, and I don't have anything good to say about it.

But that's based on their behavior and impact on others and the lake. You don't see me insulting people on the other side of the argument the way you have here, and then complaining about them being uncivil.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (07-25-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 07:29 PM   #43
joey2665

Quote:
Absolutely--I've made up my mind on The Dive, and I don't have anything good to say about it.

But that's based on their behavior and impact on others and the lake. You don't see me insulting people on the other side of the argument the way you have here, and then complaining about them being uncivil.
Instead of just forming your opinion on what has been said on this site and Facebook by biased individuals maybe take a boat ride past the dive and experience the atmosphere yourself then form your opinion.

I have only been on it once but have passed and anchored in the vicinity many times and your will see many people having a great time and accounts by the critics very over exaggerated.

Give it a chance in person you may change your opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
DotRat (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 08:00 PM   #44
John Mercier

It's a bar.
Old Money is not going to change their opinion.
Old 07-18-2021, 06:55 AM   #45
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default The Dive

Been on the lake for 70 years. The Dive looks a heck of a lot better than all the Adirondacks mansions on the lake. They look so out of place!
CK5 Truck (07-19-2021), XCR-700 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 08:52 AM   #46
ApS

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post

Been on the lake for 70 years.

The Dive looks a heck of a lot better than all the Adirondacks mansions on the lake. They look so out of place!
Welcome to The Big Lake--newbie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post

It's a bar.

Old Money is not going to change their opinion.
Where you can get overserved and only need to crawl back into your boat?
Old 07-18-2021, 08:59 AM   #47
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
If I had to guess, way, way, WAY more people are self-overserving on their boats than are doing so on The Dive. If you think the drinking and boating problem at the lake is caused by The Dive or other establishments I think you're incorrect. I'd blame Igloo and Coleman for making good coolers before I'd blame licensed, legal bars.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
Bernie Girl (07-18-2021), BroadHopper (07-19-2021), christo1 (07-20-2021), joey2665 (07-18-2021), XCR-700 (07-18-2021)
Old 07-18-2021, 04:52 PM   #48
John Mercier

Quote:
Welcome to The Big Lake--newbie!

You would still need to drive the boat. But not really the problem.
If they just wanted to serve alcohol, they could supply it with something much smaller and less conspicuous. Even the local country club serves alcohol.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:09 AM   #49
CK5 Truck

Quote:

Again, COMPREHENSION FOLKS...Im not complaining about anything, I stating the obvious some of you have nothing to do than bitch and complain about anything. Im sorry some of you have such emptiness in your lives you feel that your only outlet is having a constant bitch session. You were the idiots who moved the the largest lake in the state that even the lowest IQ would have known would attract the most people, thus creating noise, and yes CHAOS on weekends. If you wanted peace and quiet, you should have bought a home on a smaller quieter lake, there are several in the state. I live on one of them, but I come to Winnipesaukee because my boat is too big for my lake. So stop complaining because YOU made a bad decision, live with the consequences of your choice and complaining that others made the same choice to go there too.
Old 07-19-2021, 07:29 AM   #50
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Again, COMPREHENSION FOLKS...Im not complaining about anything, I stating the obvious some of you have nothing to do than bitch and complain about anything. Im sorry some of you have such emptiness in your lives you feel that your only outlet is having a constant bitch session. You were the idiots who moved the the largest lake in the state that even the lowest IQ would have known would attract the most people, thus creating noise, and yes CHAOS on weekends. If you wanted peace and quiet, you should have bought a home on a smaller quieter lake, there are several in the state. I live on one of them, but I come to Winnipesaukee because my boat is too big for my lake. So stop complaining because YOU made a bad decision, live with the consequences of your choice and complaining that others made the same choice to go there too.
Define irony: complaining about complainers.

And these aren't just baseless complaints—they're criticisms of a business conducting itself in a way many see inappropriate. What's the purpose of a forum with "issues" subcategories otherwise?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (07-25-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 07:36 AM   #51
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Oh such wisdom and insight (not). And it sounds like you made a bad decision on the size of your boat.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #52
Biggd

Thumbs down

Quote:
Did you just come here to insult people and bitch about people bitching?
Old 07-19-2021, 09:49 AM   #53
BoatHouse

Default I like the Dive, but I do not seek it out

I actually like the dive. The last time I was on it was in 2019 at the West Alton Sandbar. It was fun to get a drink. As long as they are meeting the safety and environmental requirements, then I think they should be allowed to operate.

If you do not like it, don't go on it or go to a different part of the lake. There is always some place to go that is nice and not busy. Even on 4th of July weekend.

I wish the owners of the Dive well and hope they prosper.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BoatHouse For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-19-2021), LikeLakes (07-19-2021), sum-r breeze (07-22-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 10:50 AM   #54
LikeLakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Did you just come here to insult people and bitch about people bitching?
Seems like we all know the answer to that one!

I've yet, in my entire life, to meet someone who mentions the low IQ of others and calls them idiots that is not just describing themselves. It's true every single time.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:01 PM   #55
sunset on the dock

Yes, interesting that you should mention that. CK5 Truck's rather primitive grasp of the basics of spelling and English grammar paired with his assessment of the IQ of other forum members makes for a rather humorous juxtaposition. And it does little to enhance his poorly conceived argument.
Old 07-19-2021, 06:54 PM   #56
ApS

Question Mix More Alcohol with Boating?

"The drinking and boating problem at the lake?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
If I had to guess, way, way, WAY more people are self-overserving on their boats than are doing so on The Dive. If you think the drinking and boating problem at the lake is caused by The Dive or other establishments I think you're incorrect. I'd blame Igloo and Coleman for making good coolers before I'd blame licensed, legal bars.
I wouldn't know ; however, when Lake Winnipesaukee's most memorable hit-and-run fatality occurred, overserving was blamed. (Adding that the perpetrator should sue the bar).

Old 07-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #57
John Mercier

The bar could be partially liable for the financial impact of the accident.
But the operator leaving the scene and attempting to cover up the incident is the act of the operator, not the server.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:52 PM   #58
CK5 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Yes, interesting that you should mention that. CK5 Truck's rather primitive grasp of the basics of spelling and English grammar paired with his assessment of the IQ of other forum members makes for a rather humorous juxtaposition. And it does little to enhance his poorly conceived argument.
Wow! You must be one of them college edumacaded smart people. Just big impressive words for having absolutely nothing to say except for a lame attempt at patting yourself on the back...YAWN!
Old 07-20-2021, 06:15 PM   #59
Biggd

Quote:
Wow! You must be one of them college edumacaded smart people. Just big impressive words for having absolutely nothing to say except for a lame attempt at patting yourself on the back...YAWN!
I guess these last two posts are you not specifically insulting anyone.
A few posts back you said if people didn't like it they should have bought a home somewhere else. Well if you don't like what's being posted on this forum you should just leave to another forum where they will appreciate your thoughtful insight.
You will be missed but we'll get over it.
Old 07-20-2021, 08:15 PM   #60
Retired At Last

Quote:
Wow, this got off track since the last time I looked. Anyway, what we observed last weekend was pretty much a steady stream of sand bar attendants making their way to the cemetery shore and relieving themselves on land. Could this be the reason the board of directors of the cemetery are having an issue?

This is my guess on what is going to happen. The condos being built at the old Barton's Motel site will end up putting out either a swim line or a mooring field in front of the cemetery. They either leased or purchased the waterfront of the cemetery so they could qualify for docks for all the condo units being built.

I guess the cemetery could have actually done the same. This would push the useable area of the sand bar pretty far out making a lot less room for boaters anchoring. Interesting what the future may bring.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Retired At Last For This Useful Post:
Biggd (07-21-2021), FlyingScot (07-21-2021), XCR-700 (07-21-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 04:32 AM   #61
Cal Coon

Quote:
Wow, this got off track since the last time I looked. Anyway, what we observed last weekend was pretty much a steady stream of sand bar attendants making their way to the cemetery shore and relieving themselves on land. Could this be the reason the board of directors of the cemetery are having an issue?

This is my guess on what is going to happen. The condos being built at the old Barton's Motel site will end up putting out either a swim line or a mooring field in front of the cemetery. They either leased or purchased the waterfront of the cemetery so they could qualify for docks for all the condo units being built.

I guess the cemetery could have actually done the same. This would push the useable area of the sand bar pretty far out making a lot less room for boaters anchoring. Interesting what the future may bring.
People are actually leaving the water to urinate on land??? Hmmmm, must be a whole different crowd from Braun Bay...
Old 07-21-2021, 07:13 AM   #62
sunset on the dock

Quote:
Actuilly i am a roads skolar and english proffesser. But i think litracy is whey ouverrated. And those who reech the dizzying hights of profishency in there native langauge arnt any smartur than me is.
Old 07-21-2021, 11:09 AM   #63
Paugus Bay Resident

Um, Rhodes Scholar unless you study roads
Old 07-21-2021, 11:32 AM   #64
sunset on the dock

Duh. Nope im definateley a roads skolar if yew cawt the spoof on CK5 Truck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunset on the dock For This Useful Post:
AB_Monterey (07-25-2021), Paugus Bay Resident (07-22-2021)
Old 07-21-2021, 01:04 PM   #65
ITD

Hey all, what's been going on in this thread? TL ; DR, since my last post anyway.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #66
Woodsy

Quote:

Retired....

The docks for the new condos are based on the frontage that Barton's Motel had..... Any mooring field will have to be located within that same footprint. I am pretty sure the cemetery cannot "lease" their waterfront.

People have been cutting thru the cemetery forever... it got worse when they built Shaw's. The issue is compounded by a lake FULL of boats with no place to go. It has nothing to do with the Dive. If the BOD of the cemetery really had an issue, they could have put up a fence long ago.

All this vitriol about this business... no need for it! They go out to a public sandbar, make some $$$ and leave. No different than the ice cream truck at a city park... or the hotdog guy in Wolfeboro by the dock!

Woodsy
BroadHopper (07-23-2021), Cal Coon (07-22-2021), Evinrude63 (07-22-2021), hazelnut (07-26-2021), Seaplane Pilot (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 02:36 PM   #67
sum-r breeze

Quote:
Well CK5 Truck ...... I would like to buy you a drink!! Preferably on The Dive!
I had the same reaction to all the whining and complaining on the "restaurant thread" on this forum. You all just keep complaining, I'll just keep going on The Dive and enjoying the the Hell out of the place. Its a blast!

The Breeze
BroadHopper (07-23-2021), Cal Coon (07-22-2021)
Old 07-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #68
sum-r breeze

Quote:
"The drinking and boating problem at the lake?"

I wouldn't know ; however, when Lake Winnipesaukee's most memorable hit-and-run fatality occurred, overserving was blamed. (Adding that the perpetrator should sue the bar).

Overserving by a LAND based restaurant if I remember correctly
Old 07-23-2021, 09:34 AM   #69
BroadHopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
Retired....

The docks for the new condos are based on the frontage that Barton's Motel had..... Any mooring field will have to be located within that same footprint. I am pretty sure the cemetery cannot "lease" their waterfront.

People have been cutting thru the cemetery forever... it got worse when they built Shaw's. The issue is compounded by a lake FULL of boats with no place to go. It has nothing to do with the Dive. If the BOD of the cemetery really had an issue, they could have put up a fence long ago.

All this vitriol about this business... no need for it! They go out to a public sandbar, make some $$$ and leave. No different than the ice cream truck at a city park... or the hotdog guy in Wolfeboro by the dock!

Woodsy
I read a LADASUN article stating the developers set forth a proposal that includes the Cemetary frontage when determining the slips and mooring privileges. I just sincerely hope this proposal does not fly! Just think about the floodgate it will open!
I hate developers and selling their 'progress' attitude. If they have their way we will have another Miami on the lake. And it can happen as Laconia is all about the cash flow! After watching Yellowstone I can relate. Thank God for conservatory trust laws in NH. More and more land is being saved!
Squam Lake is way ahead of the game in establishing a lake association eons ago!
FlyingScot (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 11:42 AM   #70
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

The cemetery has leased their waterfront to the developers but there is no access to the cemetery property. This additional frontage enables the developers to have 18 boat slips.

Early buyers will be offered a two year lease of the slip but after that initial two year period it will be up to the association to determine the method of deciding who will use the slips.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Retired At Last (07-27-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 03:52 PM   #71
BroadHopper

So that means I can add the 50 foot easement next to my lot. I will be eligible for an extra slip! Brilliant!
Old 07-23-2021, 06:05 PM   #72
CK5 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sum-r breeze View Post
Well CK5 Truck ...... I would like to buy you a drink!! Preferably on The Dive!
I had the same reaction to all the whining and complaining on the "restaurant thread" on this forum. You all just keep complaining, I'll just keep going on The Dive and enjoying the the Hell out of the place. Its a blast!

The Breeze
This sounds like a plan to me, unfortunately it will ave to wait until I get back from Sturgis then Im off until mid Sept. The Dive has always been something the wife and I talked about trying and unfortunately all the rainy days have kept us off the water. (sucks trying to load your boat in a thunderstorm)
Old 07-23-2021, 07:43 PM   #73
John Mercier

I think most people are happy... they just don't want to mix with the people they are trying to avoid.
A mobile operation makes that harder than a stationary one.
Closed Thread