Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2021, 05:32 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default Marine Patrol Presence '21

Is it me or is there a much increased MP presence so far this year?

I've only been out a few times this year, but yesterday alone I saw three or four vessels getting pulled over in just a few hours.

I will say that I've seen an exponential rise in poor/dangerous behavior up north where it's usually much quieter—I had a bro split me and an oncoming vessel by fewer than twenty feet coming through the channel out of Ambrose Cove yesterday. At least the dude waved as he skipped along!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 06:17 AM   #2
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Is it me or is there a much increased MP presence so far this year?

I've only been out a few times this year, but yesterday alone I saw three or four vessels getting pulled over in just a few hours.

I will say that I've seen an exponential rise in poor/dangerous behavior up north where it's usually much quieter—I had a bro split me and an oncoming vessel by fewer than twenty feet coming through the channel out of Ambrose Cove yesterday. At least the dude waved as he skipped along!

Yes, I have only been out twice so far and seen a lot more MP activity than last year, and also like you I have seen a lot of reckless operation so I am very happy to see the MP out there.

Sometimes I think they (MP) do a tremendous good just being seen.

I'm not a fan of random on the water safety checks as its not really easy to deal with having another boat 5 feet away while waves are rolling you around and then trying to show you have all your safety gear while the boat is full of people. I think the safety checks are best left for dockside. Also not a big fan of strict enforcement of someone having an arm or leg over the side while underway. Sorry, I just dont see the risk once you are away from the dock.

But anything else, I am always thankful to see the MP on the water and especially when they are helping anyone, really comforting to know the are on the lake.

Just wish the reckless drivers were a bit more careful. It really doesn't take much to apply a little common sense and with just a little common sense you can avoid the majority of boating problems.

Hope its a safe summer for everyone, and thanks to the MP for all they do to keep things safe for us.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
erick26 (06-22-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 09:52 AM   #3
GodSmile

Default Glad to hear

We only go out on weekdays, and I have not noticed increased MP presence when I'm out there. That said, I'm happy to hear of increased presence. It seems as though the last few years they were not as visible...
GodSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #4
FlyingScot

I have also seen more MPs in the northern end of the lake. Since I've also seen plenty of dangerous incompetence in just the past couple of weeks, I'm grateful for the added presence.

Thanks, Captain D!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
XCR-700

So what do you guys think is up with the bad driving, just like the first snow its still early in the season and these folks need to get their act together, or are these new boaters who just need more time in the seat, or is it the new I dont care about anyone else as long as I have the fun I want mentality that seems to be taking over the country???

I definitely see the me first attitude when waiting for dock space at town docks. No etiquette, no manners, just punch through the crowd and too bad for anyone else. It creates a very dog-eat-dog hostile environment.

Its gotten to the point where I will not go out on the water on a Saturday during July and August. Its just too much work to avoid problems and not fun worrying about the other guy all day or dealing with bad attitudes and far too aggressive operators. Too many Saturday boaters on Winnipesaukee act like they are on an episode of Miami Vice, racing down the inter-coastal toward the open ocean trying to look good for the camera.

Maybe mine is a unique experience/observation,,,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XCR-700 For This Useful Post:
Bucky1818 (07-07-2021), erick26 (06-22-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #6
WinnisquamZ

You are not alone, many of us full timers avoid the weekend and holiday boaters. We do enjoy the morning coffee rides before 9 then we slip it for the day

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (06-21-2021), Jeanzb1 (06-20-2021), XCR-700 (06-20-2021)
Old 06-20-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
Lakegeezer

Default IR and Zoom no doubt

Did they have the super cam on top last year?
Attached Images

Old 06-20-2021, 05:27 PM   #8
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Weird—I think that was one of the stops I saw!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:10 PM   #9
GTO

Default Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
So what do you guys think is up with the bad driving, just like the first snow its still early in the season and these folks need to get their act together, or are these new boaters who just need more time in the seat, or is it the new I dont care about anyone else as long as I have the fun I want mentality that seems to be taking over the country???

I definitely see the me first attitude when waiting for dock space at town docks. No etiquette, no manners, just punch through the crowd and too bad for anyone else. It creates a very dog-eat-dog hostile environment.

Its gotten to the point where I will not go out on the water on a Saturday during July and August. Its just too much work to avoid problems and not fun worrying about the other guy all day or dealing with bad attitudes and far too aggressive operators. Too many Saturday boaters on Winnipesaukee act like they are on an episode of Miami Vice, racing down the inter-coastal toward the open ocean trying to look good for the camera.

Friends of ours saw the Same ignorant behavior at the Weirs dock onSaturday. People waiting for an open space then some idiot cutting in front and taking it. 210,000 new registrations this year means a lot of new boats, jet skis etc.. most marinas and pwc dealers are sold out of boats and jet skis. Could be a dangerous year on the lakes
Old 06-20-2021, 09:26 PM   #10
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Could be a dangerous year on the lakes
Well lets hope for the best and keep a sharp eye for the reckless.
Old 06-21-2021, 05:11 AM   #11
thinkxingu

Quote:

Like most things, I think it's a combination of all of it. There's absolutely an "all about me" attitude for many these days (just drive any major highway for a stretch and watch how people drive), there's a "newness" to the season (which even I was guilty of coming out of MVM all gangly-legged-awkward like a newborn giraffe), and there's a ton of new boaters.

The hard part for me has always been trying to decipher who's new and who should know better. It probably shouldn't matter, but it's the difference between understanding and stepping up to help and exasperation at stupidity/arrogance/carelessness.

I'm getting to be more active and vocal, though, in terms of giving and asking for help. It's so often made the difference in connected situations. For example, at W. Alton sandbar yesterday, instead of trying to loosen the bow anchor to retrieve the stern, yada yada yada, I just asked the bro group already in the water to pull them for me and guide us out. They kindly obliged, and we had a nice group discussion as they guided us out.

Of course, it's not always possible to have a conversation—especially when someone blows through within feet in The Graveyard—but I'm an optimist!

Safe boating, friends!

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 06:32 AM   #12
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
It’s a FLIR thermal camera. They are pretty slick. We have one on our Eastern.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:51 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default MP presence

I notice a bit more presence, but unfortunately not enough.
I cherish the old days when I can boat 24/7 with ease. I avoid Friday evening to Sunday evening during mayhem season on the big lake.
Sunrise coffee runs are the best! Sunset cruises during the week are the best if you can avoid the Weirs rentals.

I boat on weekends on Winnisquam. Lately, I've been seeing the same crazy bonehead mentality graduating to the little pond. I am not looking forward to the valet storage coming at the old Martel's bait shop!

I was invited to Sebago Lake for a weekend. It was crazy busy! The party atmosphere along the Songo River was something to see! But, I find the boaters a lot more civil there. Sad.
Old 06-21-2021, 07:30 AM   #14
ApS

Arrow There Is Treasure Out There...For The Treasury...

I think this "accelerated" presence is normal.

They're checking on registrations. Y'know, cash-flow to the State.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (06-21-2021), LIforrelaxin (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 08:16 AM   #15
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
I notice a bit more presence, but unfortunately not enough.
I cherish the old days when I can boat 24/7 with ease. I avoid Friday evening to Sunday evening during mayhem season on the big lake.
Sunrise coffee runs are the best! Sunset cruises during the week are the best if you can avoid the Weirs rentals.

I boat on weekends on Winnisquam. Lately, I've been seeing the same crazy bonehead mentality graduating to the little pond. I am not looking forward to the valet storage coming at the old Martel's bait shop!

I was invited to Sebago Lake for a weekend. It was crazy busy! The party atmosphere along the Songo River was something to see! But, I find the boaters a lot more civil there. Sad.
I think "when" depends a lot on location. We can boat in the north (Graveyard on) any day, any time without issue, but the Weirs, Meredith, etc. get stupid on weekends.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 02:15 PM   #16
Meredith AK

Default Weekends

For those of us who work during the weekdays, evening cruises on week nights are quite calming and peaceful. With the extended daylight hours, you can still get 3-4 hours on the lake even with an 8-5 job.
Our boat is located on Meredith Bay and truthfully I don't have any issues with boating on the weekends. Have I seen some bonehead moves out there, absolutely. However, the way I look at it is that I'm on "lake time", which is my most valued time all week. I'm not going to let anyone's actions take that away from me. I am seasoned enough to be able to handle most situations and if it looks like too much effort to progress to a certain spot, I simply go the other way.
"Lake Time" is too precious not to take advantage of during my days off. Timing, attention to detail and some great friends to share it with are enough to overcome any crowded situation.
I'm glad that there is more MP visibility to help with some of the inattentive / rude drivers.
Meredith AK is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meredith AK For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (06-21-2021), XCR-700 (06-21-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 03:55 PM   #17
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default New boater numbers

NHLAKES.org recntly posted a webinar : "Boating Safety 101" featuring Captain Dunleavy. One thing that struck me was that MP usually issues about 4000 new safe boater certificates a year. Last year (no proctored exam due to Covid) they had more like 35,000 do the online course. Not all of these people bought boats, and not all are on Winnipesaukee, but that's still a lot of inexperience spread around the state. We don't know how many took the class in another state where the safe passage rule doesn't exist.
The key these days is to keep a 360 degree watch, not just in front. Waiting for the night traffic at the July 4th fireworks. Prepare to be blinded by the captain with a new searchlight and or docking lights.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (06-22-2021)
Old 06-21-2021, 05:07 PM   #18
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
I think this "accelerated" presence is normal.

They're checking on registrations. Y'know, cash-flow to the State.
Quite often ApS and I are on opposite sides of discussions.... But I agree I generally notice a strong presence until the 4th of July.... and Registration checking I believe is a good portion of what is going on....

I failed to put my new decals on once, I got pulled over in early may.... (I wish I could say it was an accident, but it wasn't because I left the damn things on my desk, at home, and wanted the boat in the water, so that I had one less thing to do the next weekend when I had guests coming)..... needless to say Mr. MP and I had a discussion... He was nice about, it and was told by dispatch that the boat was indeed registered.... We agreed that it was a temporary color blindness issue... and left it at that.... And wouldn't you know it, he visited me the next weekend and waived after verifying the correct colored decals where present....

Anyways back to what ApS and I agree on... which as I said is rare.... Once the season gets rolling, I think verifying registrations are current visually goes by the wayside, as they have to deal with all the other violations that they see..... and of course I am sure pull more then one person over that not only was being capt. Bonehead, but also forgot to registar their boat. The other thing is that as the season goes on, because most of the action is on the southern side of the lake, the Northern part of the lake gets less Patrols.... Because it is generally quieter....
Old 06-21-2021, 06:47 PM   #19
C-Bass

I saw marine patrol at the corner of Ambrose yesterday. Quiet as could be out there today, except for some incoming thunderstorms!
Attached Images

C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 06:54 PM   #20
C-Bass

Also, saw a massive cabin cruiser out there yesterday, usually don't see boats that big out there up this way. It was going at just the right speed, the stern dug in, for a massive wake. I had slow down, it seems like the "following wake, or ground swell" behind it was huge and went on forever.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:56 PM   #21
Descant

Default Where?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass View Post
Also, saw a massive cabin cruiser out there yesterday, usually don't see boats that big out there up this way. It was going at just the right speed, the stern dug in, for a massive wake. I had slow down, it seems like the "following wake, or ground swell" behind it was huge and went on forever.
Your profile is blank for geography, as are many others. Where is "up this way"?
Old 06-22-2021, 04:38 AM   #22
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Your profile is blank for geography, as are many others. Where is "up this way"?
Given the reference to Ambrose Cove and apparent concurrence with my post, "up this way" = north of the Graveyard and/or Moultonborough Bay.

Old 06-22-2021, 06:15 AM   #23
ApS

Cool "Up This Way"...

In Winter Harbor, I've seen the MPs twice this month.

But the first MP was operating during a very heavy rain, nearly invisible due to the downpour, and nobody else was in sight!
Old 06-22-2021, 11:47 AM   #24
C-Bass

Yeah Moultonborough Sorry...
Old 06-22-2021, 04:15 PM   #25
Descant

Default Moultonborough Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass View Post
Yeah Moultonborough Sorry...
Historically, Moultonborough Rules are a little different than elsewhere. 150'
is the same as from the blue line to the goa. Speed? Nothing faster than a slap shot through the graveyard. LOL.
Old 06-27-2021, 03:16 PM   #26
XCR-700

Covered a lot of the south side of the lake on Thursday and saw MP every where we went, even a pair in smaller boats outside the Glendale Facility.

Unfortunately still experienced lots of boaters not even close to following the rules otherwise doing some very odd things.

But then I think if anyone were watching me closely and long enough what might they think,,,

I cant speak for anyone else, but I'm not a stickler for details and not measuring how close anyone is to me unless its really too close for comfort.

Just hoping for a little common sense regarding safety, and happy to see the MP watching for the truly reckless.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:00 PM   #27
Hivolt

Quote:
Covered a lot of the south side of the lake on Thursday and saw MP every where we went, even a pair in smaller boats outside the Glendale Facility.

Unfortunately still experienced lots of boaters not even close to following the rules otherwise doing some very odd things.

But then I think if anyone were watching me closely and long enough what might they think,,,

I cant speak for anyone else, but I'm not a stickler for details and not measuring how close anyone is to me unless its really too close for comfort.

Just hoping for a little common sense regarding safety, and happy to see the MP watching for the truly reckless.
They've had an officer in a Jon boat off and on the past couple weeks around Glendale, sometimes working with others (training?)

There was an MP boat hanging around Wolfeboro bay on Thursday who I witnessed pull someone over for coming well within 150' and on the wrong side of the red marker on Sewall Pt.
Hivolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 05:14 PM   #28
Jdarby

Just saw two hanging out by the Long Island launch. Met up with one of them again after going thru Hole-In-The-Wall. First time that one of them has proactively waved “hi”! Always wave to them as I appreciate the job they do but last year two of them just stared at me. I don’t know, maybe those two were just in awe of my amazing boating skills!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Jdarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 02:38 PM   #29
dmjr

They are just doing their job! I was out on the lake yesterday (Sunday) and I could not believe the amount of carelessness. I am surprised there is has not been many accidents.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmjr For This Useful Post:
Jdarby (06-28-2021), trfour (06-28-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #30
Bucky1818

Default Ok with Marine Patrol

I must say with the large amount of beginner boaters and, add in the ignorant "i own the lake" boaters, I am glad to see more marine patrol. With the lake being the busiest with boater traffic its ever been, We need eyes on reckless boaters.
Things should and need to be paid for on this beautiful lake. I am all for raising public boat ramp prices alot higher and inforce it, I am Ok with giving more tickets to people who deserve them. Has anyone noticed the large amounts of Milfoil starting to attack the lake? It takes money to keep it under control. It takes money for more marine Patrol. Something must be done to control the qty of Dangerous boating on the lake ( Example which i saw first hand leaving Paugus bay into weirs... Full throttle before the 1st no wake marker (meaning in the channel still) . Pretty much flipped a couple young teens on a small boat.
Sorry just venting.

Last edited by Bucky1818; 07-12-2021 at 09:20 AM.
Bucky1818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 08:16 PM   #31
Descant

Default NH Way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1818 View Post
I must say with the large amount of beginner boaters and, add in the ignorant "i own the lake" boaters, I am glad to see more marine patrol. With the lake being the busiest with boater traffic its ever been, We need eyes on reckless boaters.
Things should and need to be paid for on this beautiful lake. I am all for raising public boat ramp prices alot higher and inforce it, I am Ok with giving more tickets to people who deserve them. Has anyone noticed the large amounts of Milfoil starting to attack the lake? It takes money to keep it under control. It takes money for more marine Patrol. Something must be done to control the qty of Dangerous boating on the lake ( Example which i saw first hand leaving Paugus bay into weirs... Full throttle before the 1st no wake marker (meaning in the channel still) . Pretty much flipped a couple young teens on a small boat.
Sorry just benting.
Understood. Whether it is NH State Police, MP or Conservation Officers, I think the goal is always education as much as giving out tickets. You'll see this if you watch "North Woods Law" on TV. I'm proud of these folks and appreciate their professionalism. It's a tough job with more and more Captain Boneheads out there. Bravo Zulu MP.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (07-07-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:59 AM   #32
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
In Winter Harbor, I've seen the MPs twice this month.

But the first MP was operating during a very heavy rain, nearly invisible due to the downpour, and nobody else was in sight!
I have seen them a couple of time in the evening after everybody has left. The no wake violations are out of control. It seems jet skis are the worst.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 09:00 AM   #33
ApS

Default Just Do It!

NOW is a good time for Winter Harbor's usual Donzi scofflaw to terrorize family boaters.
Old 07-11-2021, 03:14 PM   #34
Phantom

Now, interestingly enough as we know from the other thread there was professional fireworks off Mink Isl last night.

The only “official” boat that was there was the Gilford Fire Boat !! I know the Weirs had a scheduled fireworks for 9:30 and an sure there was MP presence - - - why was there not at least 1 patrol boat in the Mink vacinity ?

No judgement / just stating what we saw… I found it quite strange.
Old 07-11-2021, 09:38 PM   #35
Descant

Let's see. You have two boats and three places to be. Asking the fire boat to standby was great head work in my book.
Old 07-12-2021, 04:49 AM   #36
thinkxingu

Quote:
Let's see. You have two boats and three places to be. Asking the fire boat to standby was great head work in my book.
Agreed—I was pleasantly surprised at the foresight to connect with the fire department (though I wonder if that's required given the "professional" nature of the show).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 07-12-2021, 07:58 AM   #37
Phantom

Quote:
I said - no judgements were being made. However, I HIGHLY doubt (don’t know for sure) there is only two boats actively on this lake on a weekend. Couple that with both fireworks were publicized & had to get permits in advance thus The Gilford fire boat.

If that is true, then there is a bigger issue at hand.
Old 07-12-2021, 11:06 AM   #38
Mink Islander

Default Fireworks

First of all, it was off Mark Island, not Mink

And there were maybe 20 boats in the general area that watched it. Two passing boats even asked me what was up and then hung around. So even though it was advertised on social media, it didn’t draw a big crowd.

Should they have notified MP directly for boat “crowd control”? I agree that would have been a good idea. Not sure that MP would have known anything was up otherwise.

Thankfully it was a very chill crowd and no one seemed to be in a mad rush to be somewhere else once they finished.
Mink Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:24 AM   #39
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink Islander View Post
First of all, it was off Mark Island, not Mink

And there were maybe 20 boats in the general area that watched it. Two passing boats even asked me what was up and then hung around. So even though it was advertised on social media, it didn’t draw a big crowd.

Should they have notified MP directly for boat “crowd control”? I agree that would have been a good idea. Not sure that MP would have known anything was up otherwise.

Thankfully it was a very chill crowd and no one seemed to be in a mad rush to be somewhere else once they finished.
Agreed! I was there - absolutely no need for MP to be there. I went to Weirs after - would have been nice to see a bit more MP presence around Eagle Island as people were leaving as there were more than a few people who either didn't know what to do in a no wake zone - or didn't care.

Thank you to whoever put on the Mark Island show - much appreciated!
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 06:35 AM   #40
ApS

Thumbs up But OK With That...

7:30-AM is a little early for the NHMP to chase somebody off Tuftonboro Neck.
Old 07-27-2021, 08:58 AM   #41
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,088 Times in 782 Posts
Default Patrol presence.

Lately, during the week around the time when rental boats are due, I have seen a number of boats cruising through the Weirs channel at speed! Perhaps getting the boats back in time? No need for this.

One time and place we need marine patrol presence.
trfour (07-28-2021)