Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #1
bobio

Default reclaimed flooring

I am looking for a piece if reclaimed bowling alley flooring to build a workbench. Has anyone seen or heard of a local place that may have something like that or similar?
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #2
robmac

The species you are looking for is rock maple. The boards are stood up on end rather than laid down flat which makes the lane stronger and all but eliminates cupping.I would recommend checking with the bowling centers in Natick and Framingham MA.that are closing. I have taken lanes out in the past and you will need a few strong bodied friends and some good springs on the truck as it is very heavy. Also try to get it cut down to the size you need it one because a regular cicular saw won't cut it you need a worm drive saw,secondly you won't see the twisted nails that are holding the wood together. When all is said and done you will have a very sturdy and durable bench. Hope that helps.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:05 PM   #3
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Wow. Rob perfect advise. I had a work bench that I made by copying a bowling alley floor. But I built it from oak. I needed a perfectly flat table for building wooden boat models and RC aircraft wings on.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
thom45

I know they were for sale at one time, but there is a place called ADMAC Salvage in Littleton, NH. They used to have sections of bowling alley that were cut at various lengths. Might be worth a call.
thom45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM   #5
robmac

I know that salvage company they have a 20 ft. section for 1200 dollars,I'd go the bowling lane route. Also check Sunset lanes in Newport NH I think they are closing and because of cost most relocations go with synthetic due to cost.Contact www.candlepinbowl.com for reclaimed lanes. As long as forty feet sectioned down to size for transport and install. Hope that helps.

Last edited by robmac; 04-21-2011 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2011, 11:37 AM   #6
robmac

If anyone else has an interest in reclaimed hardwood from a bowling center please PM me as I am looking into contracting to aquire several lanes worth.
Old 04-23-2011, 04:43 AM   #7
PaulT

Before the 'upgrade' to Rt. 3 going through Manchester, there was a company in one of the mill buildings called Vermont Salvage

http://vermontsalvage.com/

The last time I was in there, just before they closed, they had all the lanes from an entire bowling alley that had closed.
They still have their Vt. locations & would be worth checking out.

lots of other unique items too.
PaulT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #8
SIKSUKR

The Manchester Vermont Salvage location closed when the new interchange at the Granite Street Bridge was constructed and took that property.