Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
hazelnut

Default Sewage spill

http://www.wmur.com/news/28930411/detail.html
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
Marauder (08-21-2011)
Old 08-21-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
ITD

I saw them working on that in front of Town Docks Restaurant. Drove by about 11:30, looks like they had things patched up by then, didn't smell anything bad, hopefully it was a small spill.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #3
TOAD

Schitt!
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
Rinkerfam

This is not the news I wanted to see. We are renting a house near Meredith Marina from the 27th of August through Labor Day. The kids practically live in the water when we are there. I wonder if we should be concerned.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:29 PM   #5
Two dobys

Oh Crap!!!!!!
Two dobys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

Quote:
Officials wanted to alert boaters that the water in that part of the lake will have elevated levels of bacteria. The spill was not expected to affect the lake's beaches...
Can I lift this thread out of the gutter and ask why the bacteria level would affect boaters but not beaches?
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #7
RailroadJoe

Yes please do
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 02:42 PM   #8
Jmo77011

Default Maybe?

There are not any public beaches in that area of the lake, so maybe they are thinking that the high bacteria levels will not reach the swimming spots. Still, it's not a pleasant thought!
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #9
fatlazyless

Oh yes, there is one very small, postage stamp sized, Town of Meredith public beach, complete with parking for two or three cars, a sandy beach area and a waterfront that is located on Pinnacle Park Rd. It is the size of one house lot, has a chain link fence with 48" ungated entry, a couple town signs, and is directly across Meredith Bay from the town docks.

Plus, the Inn at Church Point has a sandy beach area that is used by hotel guests and some of the employees.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Channel 9

WMUR reported tonight that the work was still on-going and would likely continue into the evening. They reported the concerns were not boating per se, but people fishing and swimming in the Merideth area due to high bacteria levels.

Being one who will get out of the way of traffic and jump in the water off my boat if I am hot, I can see their concern for others like me, or those using swimming facilities in the area.

The fishing concern is obvious.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #11
Nagigator

Default just a thought.......

my favorite way to swim in the lake is off the back of a boat......
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #12
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

Plus, the Inn at Church Point has a sandy beach area that is used by hotel guests and some of the employees.
Less, my thoughts exactly. My mind immediately shifted to Church Landing. This CAN'T be good for business. What about all the shorefront property owners in the bay? This must be negatively impacting their ability to enjoy their waterfront.

I'm sorry but the media (or someone) seems to be downplaying this a bit. I see this as a BIG deal? Is it just me?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
dd16

The beach on Pinnacle Park is not a town beach. It is kept up by the residents of Pinnacle Park. We were at the beach this afternoon and had no idea this was going on.
dd16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 07:24 PM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,941 Times in 1,917 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
Less, my thoughts exactly. My mind immediately shifted to Church Landing. This CAN'T be good for business. What about all the shorefront property owners in the bay? This must be negatively impacting their ability to enjoy their waterfront.

I'm sorry but the media (or someone) seems to be downplaying this a bit. I see this as a BIG deal? Is it just me?
No H.N., it's not just you. Can you imagine if it was an accidental spill from a large boats black water holding tank! How much do you think that boater would be fined?? I wonder if the town will be fined... Sorry had to laugh at that!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #15
boat_guy64

Default Spill into Bay

After an early morning jet ski ride, I went to the DD in Meredith and saw the water pouring out of the pavement. I guessed it was a water main break. At that time, police had the area blocked off but work had not started. I'd say many gallons per minutes were comming up through the pavement at that time.

In the afternoon around 2pm, when I went by again there was a large hole dug and two trucks were pumpling out the hole. On the way back I went around the back of town to avoid traffic and also noticed them pumping out the sewer at the train station. I'll assume that was to keep things from going down stream.

As always in NH, any tourism issue seems to get down played to not scare anyone away. It will be interesting to see how the testing comes out this week and see if there really is an issue.

Needless to say, the beaches at Grouse Point were fairly empty and the pool was full.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boat_guy64 For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (08-22-2011), Lakegeezer (08-23-2011)
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #16
Rinkerfam

I haven't seen anything new today regarding the spill. I was wondering if anyone up in the Meredith area had anything to report (when water quality tests will be performed and results shared specifically). Thanks in advance to anyone with information.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
No H.N., it's not just you. Can you imagine if it was an accidental spill from a large boats black water holding tank! How much do you think that boater would be fined?? I wonder if the town will be fined... Sorry had to laugh at that!

Dan
This happened on Lake Sunapee a few years back and two years ago the towns (its a combined town water and sewer precinct) received a $500K fine from the state or federal (can't remember off the top of my head).

If it was neglect on the towns fault for the break then the residents of Meredith and any other town that uses the water/sewer system can expect an increase in the water bills in the next few years.

Took a minute to find the article:

http://www.nl-nh.com/vertical/Sites/...BFDCBAA%7D.PDF
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #18
fatlazyless

http:www.laconiadailysun.com/story/sewer-line-failure

Most likely, a shut-off valve on a 12" diameter sewer pipe is a gate valve which has a stem and a large turn knob, all very similar to a gate valve on a 1 1/4" pipe coming off a boiler in an older private home.

Here's what to do; go to the FAMILY DOLLAR and buy an extra large boater's size jar of VASELINE in the baby care section for about $2.25, and rub vaseline onto the handle stem. Then open and close the old valve about ten times so the vaseline gets inside the valve and onto the top of the gate.

Then, do just like your friendly local plumber and donate your labor, and present the $2.25 receipt to the sewer pipe owner! Hey, some very smart plumber once said that an ounce of maintenance is worth a pound of cure!

Supposedly, the New Hampshire Dept of Environmental Services had their budget cut by the current legislature so the NH-DES needs violation fine money to cover their department's operating expenses.....like those 6-gal plastic water bottles that set on top of the water cooler, or basic office furniture like chairs and tables. Hey, just try running a state agency when your budget has been trimmed way down!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:51 AM   #19
Webbsatwinni

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmen24 View Post
This happened on Lake Sunapee a few years back and two years ago the towns (its a combined town water and sewer precinct) received a $500K fine from the state or federal (can't remember off the top of my head).
Wouldn't that just impact services or taxes somewhere else? I agree they should be held accountable, but fines trickle down.
Webbsatwinni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Webbsatwinni For This Useful Post:
ITD (08-23-2011), Sunbeam lodge (08-23-2011)
Old 08-23-2011, 08:14 AM   #20
jmen24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbsatwinni View Post
Wouldn't that just impact services or taxes somewhere else? I agree they should be held accountable, but fines trickle down.
Correct, that is why I stated that the residents of Meredith can expect a higher water bill in the upcoming years if the town receives a fine.

New London's water bills went up by 50% 6 months after the fine was issued. Then the following bill 6 months later was slightly less, they have not gone back down to the prior levels, not that that would be expected with the rising costs of things, including a far more diligent maintenance program at the water works.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:19 AM   #21
fatlazyless

Default 8 million dollar ultraviolet radiation sewage treatment

The Meredith http://meredithnh.org/ws.php water & sewer user bills, as well as some other area towns, were already very likely to increase due to the the proposed new installation of an eight million dollar ultraviolet radiation sewerage process http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sewage_treatment that the State of NH wants to install at the sewerage treatment plant in Franklin, http://des.nh.gov/organization/divis...wrbb/index.htm located at the confluence of the Winnipesaukee and Pemigewasset Rivers. That's where this broken pipe underneath the Meredith town docks and Town Docks restaurant carries the sewerage flow.....out to the Franklin treatment plant and after that, into the Merrimac River which eventually flows into the Atlantic Ocean down in Newburyport, Massachusetts. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrimack_River

Phil Warren, the Meredith town manager, tried to get the State, according to a newspaper report, (google "Council ok's Winni Basin arrangement-Fosters April 6, 2011") to consider going with a chlorine treatment as opposed to an eight million dollar ultraviolet radiation process, because it would cost less, but apparently the State wants the eight million dollar ultraviolet radiation. The link to Wikipedia above speaks a bit, "Treatment in the receiver environment," about the pros and cons of ultraviolet radiation for sanitizing sewage in the later stage of treatment as opposed to using chlorine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultravi...ary_compliance

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-23-2011 at 09:32 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:44 PM   #22
Rattlesnake Guy

Do we have a biology geek in the group? What are the mechanics of this type of introduction of biologically unwanted product? (was that polite enough?) I assume that natural processes will eventually correct the problem but would really like to understand exactly what happens when it goes as expected?

Algae bloom?
Ecoli has a lifespan without food?
Oxygen levels get screwy?

Thanks in advance
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 01:15 PM   #23
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Failed Valve

The failed valve could very well have been a plug valve the "cadilac" (probably appropriate for you FLL) would have been a DeZurik. It may have been less expensive than a gate valve for that size but not sure. I think the break point for a buried plug valve using a simple nut operator is 6 inch making the plug valve cheaper. Over a six, a travelling nut gear box would be required since it is a quarter turn valve, and would drive the price up. Cheaper than a gate, I can't say. Maybe it was and the selection was price driven.

I don't know if the travelling nut gear box was perfected for buried use back then when this installation occurred. And if this valve wasn't periodically exercised over how many decades

Also, the actual wastewater is "sewage"; "sewerage" relates more to the process and equipment.

Just my crappy two cents.

Last edited by Mirror Lake's BB; 08-27-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added sewage comment
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote