Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-30-2010, 09:24 PM   #1
Rag Top Daze

Default Kona Mansion Inn

6 of us had a wonderful dinner at the Kona Mansion Inn in Moultonborough this evening. The food was very good and the prices reasonable. I urge you all to give it a try. Their number to make a reservation is 253-4900. We had the dining room to ourselves and enjoyed hearing about the history from Kevin Crowley while his dad prepared our dinners in the kitchen.

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rag Top Daze For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-30-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 04:43 AM   #2
jniff101

Default Rooms?

My mother is planning on visiting and would like to stay there. Does anyone know how to find out how I can make reservations there?
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
Rag Top Daze

Default Reservations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101 View Post
My mother is planning on visiting and would like to stay there. Does anyone know how to find out how I can make reservations there?
Call the number in my previous post. If you're in the area, stop in to see them.We haven't see the rooms, so we don't know what they're like. I'm sure they would be happy to show you the rooms before making reservations. REALLY nice people!

I live for a rag top day

Last edited by Rag Top Daze; 05-31-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: spelling error
jniff101 (05-31-2010)
Old 05-31-2010, 01:30 PM   #4
Mr. Prop-B-Gone

Default Kona

After a friend's recommendation last Fall, we stopped in to The Kona Mansion for breakfast the weekend before it closed for the season and had a wonderful time. When we found out that they had opened for the season this weekend, Rag Top Daze and I got some friends together for dinner last night. A very pleasant time was had by all.

Walking through the door is a little like stepping into the Twilight Zone. The Mansion was designed and built in 1900 by the same architects that designed Luck Now, or Castle in the Clouds. It is owned and run by the Crowley family. The building is dated, but clean, and I think the lack of modernization is what makes it special. The atmosphere is very laid back, and the Crowleys make it clear from the beginning that they want your experience to be a pleasant one. After wandering around for a few minutes absorbing the atmosphere and admiring the architecture, we sat down for dinner.

Kevin Crowley was our server, while his dad cooked our meals. Three of us ordered the Baked Stuffed Shrimp, while the others selected the Baked Stuffed Haddock, Veal Piccata, and the Chicken Marsala. Dinner was proceeded with a generous helping of fried dough! Brought back memories of a dinner with my parents at the Brickyard Mountain Inn in the early 60's!

Next came the salads with home made dressing. Both the Blue Cheese and the Italian were excellent. The salads were fresh and generous. A garden salad or vegetable of the day was included in the price of the meal.

The main course was excellent. Everyone was pleased with their meal, with one of our friends remarking that the Baked Stuffed Shrimp was the best she had ever had.

Keven Crowley was very responsive to our requests, and very personable. If you go, be sure to ask to see the book they have put together about the history of the Kona Mansion. It includes pictures of the construction, and original owners, as well as newspaper articles spanning the past 100 years.

Our bill for Baked Stuffed Haddock and Baked Stuffed Shrimp, including a soft drink came to $40 plus tip, a very reasonable price for a fine, relaxing meal in a unique setting. We will be going back often this Summer!
Mr. Prop-B-Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
KBoater

Default Lunch

Do they do lunch?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 PM   #6
Rag Top Daze

Default Not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
Do they do lunch?
but I believe not. Call them and ask, tho. You should always call before going. It's a shame to say that they aren't busier, so they don't always open. I'd like to see the dining room business pick up for them...even if it's means we won't have the place to ourselves. We really did have a nice time.

I live for a rag top day
Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 AM   #7
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag Top Daze View Post
but I believe not. Call them and ask, tho. You should always call before going. It's a shame to say that they aren't busier, so they don't always open. I'd like to see the dining room business pick up for them...even if it's means we won't have the place to ourselves. We really did have a nice time.
I live in Moultonborough year round and I didn't even know they were open for dinner. I read the Meredith News and Weirs times weekly and I don't believe I have seen any advertisements for the restaurant.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
Rag Top Daze

Default Summer only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green's Basin Girl View Post
I live in Moultonborough year round and I didn't even know they were open for dinner. I read the Meredith News and Weirs times weekly and I don't believe I have seen any advertisements for the restaurant.
I don't know of any ads, and they are only open in the summer, their web site is all but no existent. Really tho, you should try them. I only discovered them late last season, but I am sooo excited about them!

I live for a rag top day
Old 07-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #9
Rag Top Daze

Default More great meals at Kona Mansion Inn

We were at the Kona Mansion for dinner on Saturday, and again Wednesday night. We have been getting consistently great food and wonderful service and the prices are reasonable. I wish more people would try them. You will be pleasantly surprised. Again, I have to stress that you need to call in advance to make your reservations because they are not always open. I'm betting if more people would give them a try, they'd be open more. Don't forget they serve a great breakfast too!

I live for a rag top day
Redwing (07-30-2010)
Old 08-16-2010, 11:42 AM   #10
Rag Top Daze

Default Planning another visit

We have company coming this week and plan to visit the Kona Mansion again for dinner. Has anyone else out there tried it this year? It's the best kept secret in the lakes region. The food is great! Not once have we had a bad meal. Our guests are always intrigued by the place. You folks here in Moultonborough who haven't tried it, it's right here in your back yard. Try it before the summer is over and it's too late again. Once again, I have no interest in the Kona Mansion, I just happen to live in their neighborhood and really like their food and enjoy going there.

I live for a rag top day
Old 08-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Rag Top Daze

Default Excellent again!

Another wonderful meal at the Kona Mansion Inn. Thanks Brian and Kevin. We'll be back again very soon

I live for a rag top day
Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #12
WJT2

Default One of my BEST Evenings on the LAke

1984 I had dinner there with three couples. We arrived by boat (1954 C/C 20' Holiday), three days befor the Antique & Classic Boat Show. KONA picked us up at their dock witha golf cart and we went to the Rest. for a great meal. To top it off we picked up a 22' C/C Sporsman and my friend Jamie piloted the Sportsman and I the Holiday. We ran side by side (15') from KONA to Wolfeboro (no FUZZ)under a beautiful moon and clear and calm night. It doesn't get much better.
WJT2
WJT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:29 PM   #13
Rag Top Daze

Default You should try them again!

WJT2, they'll be opening again around the end of May. You should give them a call to make a reservation and go again this year. It's the same owners as when you were there in 1984. Dinner and breakfast is wonderful!

I live for a rag top day
Old 01-23-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
Pineedles

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJT2 View Post
1984 I had dinner there with three couples. We arrived by boat (1954 C/C 20' Holiday), three days befor the Antique & Classic Boat Show. KONA picked us up at their dock witha golf cart and we went to the Rest. for a great meal. To top it off we picked up a 22' C/C Sporsman and my friend Jamie piloted the Sportsman and I the Holiday. We ran side by side (15') from KONA to Wolfeboro (no FUZZ)under a beautiful moon and clear and calm night. It doesn't get much better.
WJT2
What a great evening and memory.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
Rag Top Daze

Default First Kona Mansion dinner of the season

We are looking forward to our first dinner of the season at the Kona Mansion. We're going Sunday evening with a group of friends. Again this year I am going to urge you folks to call to make a reservation and try them. They're open every day for breakfast, and by reservation (603-253-4900) for dinner. The food is wonderful!

I live for a rag top day
Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #16
GTO

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rag Top Daze View Post
We are looking forward to our first dinner of the season at the Kona Mansion. We're going Sunday evening with a group of friends. Again this year I am going to urge you folks to call to make a reservation and try them. They're open every day for breakfast, and by reservation (603-253-4900) for dinner. The food is wonderful!
Must be good if you go out of your way to "plug" them every chance you get.....mmmm
Old 06-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #17
Rag Top Daze

Default They really are!

We are neighbors of the Kona Mansion and we really do love it there. I wish we could get more people to try them. Out of 17 of us that went last Sunday, only 6 of us had been there before. We like to introduce our friends to the dining room because they are so good! We found out Sunday night that you can tie your boat to their dock. If you call them, they will pick up up and drive you up the hill for dinner, and then take you back to your boat. Nice nice people. And again, I am in no way connected to the Kona Mansion. I'm a neighbor and a satisfied customer, and that's it.

I live for a rag top day
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rag Top Daze For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (06-03-2011), VitaBene (06-04-2011)
Old 06-04-2011, 11:01 AM   #18
KonaChick

Thank you for posting the number! I'm thinking this summer when we gave guests to definitely give it a try. We're so close we could walk to the KM and then walk back after.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #19
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
Thank you for posting the number! I'm thinking this summer when we gave guests to definitely give it a try. We're so close we could walk to the KM and then walk back after.
Or you could let the mosquitos carry you home
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:38 PM   #20
Rag Top Daze

Default Breakfast every day

Their breakfast is great also! For that you don't need to call ahead. They are open every day from about 8:30 to 10:30.

I live for a rag top day
Old 06-10-2011, 01:49 PM   #21
Grady223

I guess just don't use it as a B&B: http://www.yelp.com/biz/kona-mansion-inn-moultonborough
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #22
Rag Top Daze

Default I've read thoes reviews, too

We've only tried the dining room. We have nothing but praise for the meals and service.

I live for a rag top day