Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 05:38 PM   #1
Mirror Lake's BB

Default Wolfeboro Inn?

I thought I would start a new thread for the Wolfeboro Inn. We all know that they had a poor start with the new owners during the first season that they opened. How are they this year? (Restaurant side of the business)
Mirror Lake's BB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #2
NoBozo

I'm wondering the same. Has anyone had any experience this season...? NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 04:24 AM   #3
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
I'm wondering the same. Has anyone had any experience this season...? NB
Good post. I haven't been there this summer but I'd be curious to know if they have recovered.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Mr. V

Yes, I am also curious.

After all the negative things I read about it here, I avoided it like the Plague.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 AM   #5
winnitru

My parents just returned from 2 months up at the lake. Not knowing any better they went to the Wolfeboro Inn their last evening in town. My parents appreciate a good meal, but dad especially is a service snob. He is pretty tough critic on less than sufficient service. Needless to say I was holding my breath when I found out they went to the Wolfeboro Inn after all the scalding entries in got on this forum! But it seems they had a lovely time.
The service was "just fine" (which to most of the civilized planet that means good) the food was "quite lovely, but a little pricey" (YMMV). I think we will try it when we come up this week.
winnitru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 AM   #6
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnitru View Post
My parents just returned from 2 months up at the lake. Not knowing any better they went to the Wolfeboro Inn their last evening in town. My parents appreciate a good meal, but dad especially is a service snob. He is pretty tough critic on less than sufficient service. Needless to say I was holding my breath when I found out they went to the Wolfeboro Inn after all the scalding entries in got on this forum! But it seems they had a lovely time.
The service was "just fine" (which to most of the civilized planet that means good) the food was "quite lovely, but a little pricey" (YMMV). I think we will try it when we come up this week.
I to was quite curious as to how it was doing as I along with many haven't been back since last year. My stay wasn't all because of the food/service, but illness keeping me away. I am very pleased with the above statement and will also give it another try.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
melvin bay

All of the bad press kept us away as well. We're ready to give it another try next time we are on that side of the lake. We used to like going by boat.
melvin bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Heaven

I was there a month or so ago. Friday night, I had the all you can eat "fish fry" which was fine for $11 or 12 dollars, and was reasonably good. My companion had the "bratwurst and truffled potatoes" for 17.99, which was a laughable price for what turned out to be basically sausage and mashed potatoes (that's it, nothing else on the plate). We both got the salad bar (nothing special there!) with our meals. We ordered drinks and asked to have one made again as it was an excessively watered down martini (from the "ice shake", we assume). That issue was resolved promptly and with courtesy. Everything was "ok" except there was a little disappointed that the bratwurst recipe wasn't a bit more special. We felt the pricing on the bratwurst should have been similar to the fish fry price for what was received. We sat in a "for two" booth on the wall side of the main dining room and were really very comfortable.
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #9
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
I was there a month or so ago. Friday night, I had the all you can eat "fish fry" which was fine for $11 or 12 dollars, and was reasonably good. My companion had the "bratwurst and truffled potatoes" for 17.99, which was a laughable price for what turned out to be basically sausage and mashed potatoes (that's it, nothing else on the plate). We both got the salad bar (nothing special there!) with our meals. We ordered drinks and asked to have one made again as it was an excessively watered down martini (from the "ice shake", we assume). That issue was resolved promptly and with courtesy. Everything was "ok" except there was a little disappointed that the bratwurst recipe wasn't a bit more special. We felt the pricing on the bratwurst should have been similar to the fish fry price for what was received. We sat in a "for two" booth on the wall side of the main dining room and were really very comfortable.
Sounds like you would grade it a B- or thereabouts? I guess I'll wait for better reviews before I venture back. I haven't been there in months....... there are simply too many better choices in the area.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaven View Post
We ordered drinks and asked to have one made again as it was an excessively watered down martini (from the "ice shake", we assume). .
THIS would be a TOTAL Negative for me. Can't make an "Honest" Drink...?? The meal dosn't matter at that point. I'm am not going back... Period. Don't care if they made another one..which was probably only a little less watery. A watery drink..like a Martini is stealing. NB
Old 11-27-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
Heaven

Quote:
THIS would be a TOTAL Negative for me. Can't make an "Honest" Drink...?? The meal dosn't matter at that point. I'm am not going back... Period. Don't care if they made another one..which was probably only a little less watery. A watery drink..like a Martini is stealing. NB
I think the watery issue was lack of attention in the making process, not an intentional cheat. If that matters.
Old 12-01-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Chris Exley

Default Thankgiving buffet at Wolfeboro Inn

For the first time ever, my family went out for Thanksgiving dinner. On the recommendation of my brother, who went there some 4 or 5 years ago, we chose the Wolfeboro Inn's Thankgiving Buffet. We will never do it again.
I had made the reservations in August or September. I know I was the first one for the 2:30 time slot, because the person taking our reservations told me so. The experience started out badly. I was the first one of the 2:30 reservations to show up. We were the last one seated. I could have understood if it was a table size issue, but 3 of the parties who came after we did had the same number in their party, and they were seated ahead of us. Not to worry, though, they had grapes/crackers/cheese for us to munch on while we waited. Ooops, the cheese was in very large wedges, with no utensils to cut them. So, once we at the cheese that had been cut, we could no longer enjoy that. After they realized that they had forgotton to seat us, they came and brought us to a rectangular table meant for 10 people. Then, they proceded to forget about us. 5 minutes later, a waitress came by and asked us if anyone had gotten our drinks yet. We replied, "No". She then went to find out who was supposed to help us. 4 or 5 minutes later, someone took our drink order, and told us where to go to get the food. We went into the "too small" are where the food was. There was no rhyme or reason to the flow of bodies, so people were knocking into each other....some were going one way, and some the other direction. They ran out of the steamship beef. There was very little turkey to be gotten. The rolls that they had our were hard as a rock. Half the deserts that were on the menu were not available. The food that we did have was not all that spectacular.

I did complain to waitress who sent the manager over. I told him our dissatisfaction with the meal and the experience. He gave us one of our dinners for free.

Not to be deterred, my wife and daughter made a proper Thanksgiving meal on Friday night. Granted, we didn't have ALL the fixins we normally would have, but, it was a much more pleasant, and tastefull evening at the cottage.

We were all 100% in agreement that we won't ever go there again. Curiously, one of our friends at the lake told us that they wish they had known what we were planning, because they would have told us not to bother.

Oh well, live and learn. I hope this review helps others who are thinking of going to the Thanksgiving Buffet.

Peace.

Last edited by Chris Exley; 12-01-2010 at 03:37 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Chris Exley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris Exley For This Useful Post:
riverat (12-01-2010), RLW (12-01-2010), secondcurve (12-05-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #13
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn

When the Wolfeboro Inn re-opened following an extensive renovation they were bashed pretty heavily on the Forum, and, rightfully so, their service was terrible, their food was marginal, and worst of all, they seemed to do nothing about it. They did change chefs, but that didn't help, they changed beverage managers and that didn't help, but what they didn't change was management.

I spoke with the Inn manager several times and apparently it was like water off a duck's back. I suggested that she make a regular habit of reading this site and seeing what people were saying, some of the comments were very precise, almost to the point that you could use the comments to formulate a plan to cure the problem. Then there was a long period of quiet about the Inn, until recently, when it was brought up again. Guess what ? - a re-run of the past, poor service, poor food, and lack of management.

They deserve to fail. Unfortunately, the Inn is a big player in Wolfeboro and there is a mutual need to do well. What is it about management that they do not understand? Let's hope that they start 2011 with a new attitude and a new level of managerial energy. Why wait till 2011, start TODAY.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camp guy For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (12-02-2010)
Old 12-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #14
Merrymeeting

I find it amazing that a management team that seems to have a great reputation in running other establishments keeps stumbling here so consistently. It's a shame because they have a great location, a solid building to start with, and as has been mentioned, almost a monopoly on what they offer (perhaps that is the problem)

In my experience, it might help to seperate the dining portion from the lodging.

Last February, my wife and I stayed there for a weekend to attend an event for a friend in the area. Our place is closed in winter so we needed somewhere to stay. The room was very nice, the lodging staff very responsive, and the rate was reasonable. We would stay there again.

We didn't have any meals there, primarily because of what we had heard here. But we did have an appetizer at the bar after we arrived. It was a nacho, cheese, plate with other fixings, and it was delicious. The portion was very generous too. The experience though was dulled by the waitstaff who exhibited behaviors similar to what others have mentioned here.

We waited quite some time before someone asked what we wanted to drink. This was particularly irksome as we were sitting at the bar and there were 3 employees behind the bar! But they were too busy socializing to interrupt and serve us. Once one of them came over, the attitude was clearly one of us being a bother rather than paying customers.

The kicker was when another customer entered the bar. A nice older couple had been drinking at the bar before we arrived, and left about 30 mins after we sat down. They returned shortly thereafter and the woman was clearly upset. Apparently she had misplaced a new, fairly expensive pair of glasses and was hoping she had left them at the bar.

She had to ask twice before the triplets behind the bar interrupted their converstation long enough to say "no", and return to their conversation.

The woman was very nice, but clearly upset, and she started looking around the bar, under stools, etc. The other patrons all felt sorry for her and were similarly amazed at how indifferent and unhelpful the staff was being. Most started pitching in to help, looking around, asking what they looked like, etc.

The glasses were not found, and the couple left to retrace their steps to other Wolfeboro establishments, where they were hopefully received better. But the incident certainly left a sour taste for those still at the bar. It was even mentioned to the ones behind the bar. They didn't seem to care.

All it would have taken is a little bit of effort. "Sorry about your glasses", "Can I take your name in case they show up?", etc, to completely change the whole scenario.

It's called Customer Service. Apparently the staff at the Inn still need more classes.

They must have this poster hanging in the office http://www.despair.com/cudi.html
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:51 AM   #15
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn

I have read a lot of your posts in the past and you are generally right on target with your comments, and you certainly are with respect to your most recent post about the Inn. I wrote the post just before you, so there is some coincidence with the two. Sadly, I spoke with Karen Beranger several times, and nothing seemed to happen. The bar at the Inn has been going down hill for a number of years, long before the renovation. The clientele is predominately local drinkers, stopping off after work to get half in the bag before going home to whatever homelife they have. Actually, a very sad situation, reinforced, I'm afraid, by the somewhat unprofessional behavior of the bar tenders. Over the years the bar has been a place to drink, chat up a bar tender, and maybe get lucky. This is certanly not the style of citizenship the Inn should be fostering if they expect to attract families. Furthermore, drinkers usually don't spend much, if any, money on food, and the chances of them returning with family and friends for an actual meal are slim.

Sorry to rant on like this, but your post about simple common courtesy just got me going.

My best to you during this Holiday Season.

Last edited by camp guy; 12-03-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: I meant to say this is directed at Merrymeeting
jkjoshuatree (12-03-2010)
Old 12-03-2010, 09:06 AM   #16
Coolbreeze

Some things and people are beyond helping and must face a certain fate.
I'd hate to be the owners...
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

They make much more money on drinks than food, camp guy. And it is so much easier. Probably they like it that way.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:24 PM   #18
Coolbreeze

Tis, that is what is pathetic about the whole thing.
The operators can't be that narrow minded. I'm sure their business plan includes revenues from lodging, food and events, not just the bar.
A pessimist would view their operation as a sinking ship because the ootimist is sitting at the bar paying royally for watered down drinks.
Glad it isn't my money funding the mortgage, payroll and operating expenses!
YIKES!!
Old 12-03-2010, 09:09 PM   #19
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn

You are absolutely right, tis, in the short run, but I question the long run, and I have to hope that the Inn is in it for the long, if not very long, run.

The bar crowd does spend money, but do they return with their family for a meal? I seriously doubt it. And, as soon as another watering hole opens up, whoosh, they are gone, at least part of them. Also, socially, the bar crowd doesn't do the Inn any favors. This is not to say they are bad people, but alcohol has a way of bringing out the worst in people, and this is certainly not the atmosphere the Inn needs to be creating.

However, none of this is THE PROBLEM with the Inn. IMHO, the real problem rests with a lack of attention to detail by management, top, tipity-top management. Until top management is working the dinning room actively addressing poor service, or auditing the performances of bar personnel, the Inn will continue to suffer from this type of posting. Every day is lost time, the service hole gets deeper, and the reputation will be harder to recover, and the Inn can't say they didn't know it was coming.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #20
BrownstoneNorth

Default Management, yes

After an awful brunch experience at the Wolfeboro Inn in the off-season, my husband and I vowed we'd never go back. But one summer evening we really, really wanted lobsters, they're only show in town for lobster dinners, and the price was right: $20 for twin lobsters, including sides.

So we dared to try the place again, and it was like they'd had an exorcism -- everything was perfect. The reason was undoubtedly the 'visiting' manager, a teacher at the UNH hotel school, apparently just there for the summer. He was checking on everything and stopping by every table *twice*, first to make sure that customers were being served and then to see if they were satisfied with their meals. We went one more time over the summer while he was there and it was just as good.

Too bad the permanent management didn't learn anything from the teacher and reverted after he returned to UNH. Hope he's back next summer -- we
wouldn't even consider going there while school's in session. :-)
BrownstoneNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #21
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn

Thank you, BrownstoneNorth, I rest my case. The answer is just plain simple, and staring them in the face. Let's hope they get it.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #22
secondcurve

Default My Theory

This is just a guess but I think the problem with the Wolfeboro Inn is that the company that bought it did so right at the top of the market and likely significantly over paid. They then missed their targeted opening date, a deep recession followed, etc. Given this fact pattern, it is likely over extended and doesn't have the resources to run the Inn properly. That is the only explanation I can come up with for the consistently horrible service. The good news is that the facility was done over nicely and at some point it will likely fall into the hands of an operator that can afford to operate it in a proper fashion.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:27 AM   #23
secondcurve

A quick google of Hay Creek Hospitality (The Wolfeboro Inn's parent company) came up with this little nugget. It tells you a little bit about the owners' philosophy toward its employees and it might at least partially explain the poor customer service attitudes of the Wolfeboro Inn's employees??

$240,000 Preliminary Settlement Reached in Hotel Employee Class Action

Williamstown, MA: A $240,000 settlement has been proposed in a wages class action lawsuit brought against The Orchards Hotel by 150 current and former hourly employees.

The suit alleged that the hotel had withheld tips and wages. State law dictates that food establishments found to withholding either or both, must play employees three times as much as they're owed. According to the lawyer representing the class, the settlement is not only the recovery each employee is owed, but a multiple of what is owed.

The case reportedly involved a portion of service charges, which are added onto bills at the end of banquets, weddings and large events, being withheld from servers, and all hotel and restaurant staff working at least eight-hour shifts were having 30 minute meal breaks deducted from their paychecks even though they weren’t receiving them.

The listed defendants in the case are HCC Orchards LP, Hay Creek Hospitality LLC, Hay Creek Management Company, and former General Manager Scott Frankel.

JUL-19-10: Hotel, employees settle lawsuit over back pay [BENNINGTONBANNER]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
ApS (12-09-2010), RI Swamp Yankee (12-05-2010)
Old 12-05-2010, 10:21 AM   #24
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
This is just a guess but I think the problem with the Wolfeboro Inn is that the company that bought it did so right at the top of the market and likely significantly over paid. They then missed their targeted opening date, a deep recession followed, etc. Given this fact pattern, it is likely over extended and doesn't have the resources to run the Inn properly. That is the only explanation I can come up with for the consistently horrible service. The good news is that the facility was done over nicely and at some point it will likely fall into the hands of an operator that can afford to operate it in a proper fashion.
I've considered that possibility too. But especially in the current economy, I would think it would be just as easy to find a bartender who knows what good customer service is, as opposed to one who could care less. Most often, the pay for both would be the same, and the good one would realize better pay through tips. (Assuming they aren't withheld )
Old 12-09-2010, 08:21 AM   #25
Just Wonderin

Default Waitstaff

Here's my two cents...it sounds like the biggest problem is the waitstaff/bartenders at the Inn. In the summer, when the UNH teacher managed the restaurant, service was greatly improved. With the downturn in the economy, people aren't eating out as often. Good waitstaff are going to the restaurants with the better business. They know that they can do much better in tips if the establishment has more patrons. If the Wolfeboro Inn doesn't have the volume, good staff isn't going to work there. So, what's left over?...servers that are sub-par. I don't want to make a blanket comment about all of the servers at the Inn because there may be some very good ones who take pride in their work, but the general concensus seems to be a very apathetic attitude there.
Just Wonderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #26
Heaven

A restaurant can make good servers through training and a goal for business attitude and flavor. This is what the Inn has not been capable of doing to date. There are plenty of eager young waitstaff that could be trained up, and then also the Inn could/would draw from the experienced pool. The training attitude has never been successfully accomplished and maintained.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:55 AM   #27
ApS

Wink The Cost of Class-Action Lawsuits...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Wonderin View Post
I don't want to make a blanket comment about all of the servers at the Inn because there may be some very good ones who take pride in their work, but the general concensus seems to be a very apathetic attitude there.
FWIW:

Only because it was at the suggestion of a friend, three of us went to the Wolfeboro Inn for breakfast about four weeks ago. The meal was on the pricy side, but nothing was out of place—including the service.

Quote:
According to the lawyer representing the class, the settlement is not only the recovery each employee is owed, but a multiple of what is owed.
That reminds me. A "class-action" lawsuit was brought against MicroSoft in my behalf: it was settled, but I never got my 75¢ "winnings".
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:59 AM   #28
tis

I know, I have been involved in a couple of the class action lawsuits. I think I actually got 25$ once. They just send you a letter telling you you are involved in it and 3 or 4 years later you might get a few cents or a few dollars. They are such a joke.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:26 AM   #29
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
I know, I have been involved in a couple of the class action lawsuits. I think I actually got 25$ once. They just send you a letter telling you you are involved in it and 3 or 4 years later you might get a few cents or a few dollars. They are such a joke.
I got a letter years back telling me that GE was giving $75 to replace defective dishwashers. So I took the deal & got my check, and then another $75 check, and lol, one more $75 check......not a bad deal for replacing a dishwasher I had for 10 years that ran fine with a new one
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 07:01 PM   #30
Pineedles

Default Locals don't matter

There was an article in the Tribune newspapers this morning for special places in New England. Guess what New Hampshire's representative was? You guessed it, The Wolfe Tavern . This will ensure folks all over the Tribunes's distribution area that there will be business going to the Inn. IMO, the owners have decided that it is more profitable to get the "new" business, then maintain good service over the long haul. Just my opinion.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:01 AM   #31
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn

I guess, Pineedles, that the Inn hasn't figured out that it is easier (and less expensive) to service repeat customers than it is to continually drum up new business. Advertising 101 tells you that satisfied customers will spread the word to friends and colleagues much more effectively than any other form of advertising, and, at no (ZERO $) cost to the Inn. A one-time customer to the Inn is also (probably) a one-time customer to Wolfeboro itself, and this is too bad. As is the case with any destination tourist town, Wolfeboro needs all the good publicity it can get from all sources - tourists and local businesses alike.

My New Year's Wish ? - please, Wolfebor Inn, get it together.
Heaven (12-13-2010)
Old 12-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #32
Pineedles

I know camp guy, you are so right. It is too bad when you have a potentially great place for local dining and the owners just don't get it.
Old 12-20-2010, 08:59 PM   #33
wolfeguy

Default Executive Chef Stephen Harding

I would like to state that I no longer work at the Wolfeboro Inn and havent since the end of September 2010. I would like to say that although I no longer work at the Inn, I will support the Inn in any way I can, not for the owners of the company, but for the local people that work there. I wish the Inn the best of luck!
wolfeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 09:18 PM   #34
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn

Maybe, wolfeguy, you can use your knowledge of who is in charge of what to get them to read this Forum and see what the public is saying. Even with many poor reviews, mostly service related, I actually feel the overwhelming sympathies of the public are for the Inn to survive, and survive well. You could be a part of that effort by speaking directly to some of the "Bosses" suggesting, gently, that they click into this site and see what is being said.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:17 AM   #35
beagle

Default Contact the owners

I am going to email the owners, Hay Creek Hospitality at info@haycreekhospitality.com and point them in the direction of the forum. I can't believe they would not care enough to try and fix this situation. Maybe some of the rest of you could send them your experiences and complants as well. It would be a shame to see the Inn close....
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #36
beagle

Default Reply from the Wolfeboro Inn

So I sent off my email this am and got this quick and positive response. I am posting it with his approval. We are unable to take up Mr. Soderberg on his offer, but maybe some of you would like to.

I am in receipt of your correspondence through our corporate web-site.
Thank you for reaching out to us. First, please let me take this moment to introduce myself. My name is George Soderberg and I am the new GeneralManager of the Wolfeboro Inn & Wolfe's Tavern. Although I have just arrived (three weeks ago) I want you to know that I have just recently become aware and read the comments on the web-site winnipesaukee.com.

They are disturbing to say the least. However, what I glean from them is that there's a small passionate group of people who want the restaurant to be everything that it is capable of being yet has fallen well short right out of the gate. After talking to staff and some of the locals that I have met, I feel confident that I have a relatively good idea of our history from opening and it is not a flattering one. Let me assure you that our goal (multi-million dollar renovations aside) was and is to make the WolfeboroInn & Tavern a pillar of service and a strong partner in the community.

What I would prefer, is the opportunity to talk to patrons like you in person, so that together we can bring the Tavern back to where it belongs. After all business is really a partnership, a relationship and bond between the customers/patrons and the organization. Clearly we all really want to see the Inn and Tavern succeed. And let me leave no doubt that we are dedicated to the core purpose of reaching that goal - sooner rather than later.

I would enjoy the opportunity to meet/converse with you and your husband,perhaps after the holidays. If you are in contact with any of the members on the web-site please feel free to extend this offer on my behalf. The more interaction and conversation we have the better. In the coming year I will do my best reach out to them directly.

Once again, thank you for your e-mail and your
devotion to the Tavern. I look forward to hearing from you soon. My contact information is listed below. I hope you and your family have wonderfulholiday week. Until then ~

Warm Regards,

George F. Soderberg, II

General Manager & Regional Director of Operations

The Wolfeboro Inn & Wolfe's Tavern

90 North Main Street

Wolfeboro, New Hampshire 03894
(603) 569-3016

(603) 918-9258 cell

> www.wolfeboroinn.com
> www.haycreekhospitality.com
beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to beagle For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (12-21-2010), jkjoshuatree (12-21-2010), RLW (12-21-2010), secondcurve (12-21-2010)
Old 12-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #37
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeguy View Post
I would like to state that I no longer work at the Wolfeboro Inn and havent since the end of September 2010. I would like to say that although I no longer work at the Inn, I will support the Inn in any way I can, not for the owners of the company, but for the local people that work there. I wish the Inn the best of luck!
It's very interesting that the Inn has a new GM and a new Chef. Maybe this combination will get it right?
Old 12-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #38
old coot
Deceased Member

Mr. George F. Soderberg, II, says all the right things in his post, it seems to me. The big question is will the Wolfeboro Inn pull itself together and deliver on his promise? Actions speak louder than words.
The old coot and his family eat at home the majority of the time and so whether a restaurant delivers as it should doesn't much affect us personally. But, as someone has already pointed out, when a prominent Wolfeboro location is substandard, it detracts from the whole Town's image as a tourist destination. With that fact in mind, I hope the Inn's staff and management become masters of the business that they're in. If they do, their success will be our success.
oc
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 PM   #39
Heaven

The signature line reads Regional Director of Operations. I wonder if this title is as new as the General Manager title. If not, may I conclude that Mr. Soderberg has much more background with the issues the Inn has had than he admits knowing in the letter.
Maybe I'll ask him
Old 12-21-2010, 07:33 PM   #40
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn

Well, it is nice to see that the Inn responded, and in a positive manner. I don't think anyone realistically expects instant results, but it is encouraging to see the individual at the top in the Inn management tree responded with strong words about improvement and quality.

So, now it is up to the eating public to support the Inn and see how it's doing.

A good first step by Mr Soderberg.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 PM   #41
Long Island Baba

Default Best of Luck!

I wish Mr. Soderberg all the luck in the world. I dealt with the Sales group this past summer in scheduling an outing on the Winni Belle. Very very very bad experience. He's got his work cut out for him.
Long Island Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #42
Jonas Pilot

My wife and I went to a Christmas party a few days ago and were happy with the whole experience except for the bartender. The food was very good, the service was fine but the young man at the bar was far less than professional. He was in a bad mood and made no attempt to hide it. But, all in all I would rate the experience a A-.
Jonas Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:07 PM   #43
wolfeguy

Default Thank you george!!

Thank you George.
And my message wasnt meant to speak badly of the Inn and the owners at all, only to remind people that it is local people that work there and WE as locals need to support them especially this time of year as we should all local businesses year round. they have many events scheduled all the time and the generals club is great!!!!
wolfeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:28 AM   #44
tis

WE haven't been there since the new opening because of all the bad reviews. I would give it a try just the same but get outvoted every time. We used to go there a lot. A couple of weeks ago some friends went and liked it but had all kinds of little issues. The one that most stands out in my mind is forgetting the cheese on a cheesburger. Now how hard is that to remember? And then when told, they just brought him a piece of cheese to stick on the burger. The waitresses should be checking out the chefs to make sure the meals are ok. It doesn't seem like it should be too hard to correct the problems that they have.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM   #45
Yosemite Sam

In May of this year a gentleman by the name of Stephen Smith said in this thread that he was the "new" manager and things were going to change.

Now six months later a new manager comes on board and he says almost the same thing.

I think that they need to hire someone who understands the culture in the Lakes region, especially Wolfeboro.

Here is what Stephen Smith said:

"Hi Folks, my name is Stephen Smith and I am the "new" manager of the Wolfe's Tavern. I took over late last fall and we have been working very hard on staff training and service. We essentially have an all-new staff, and rest assured that all comment cards are reviewed by the management team here at the Inn.

I also make a point of visiting as many of the tables during lunch and dinner that I can, and I know that many of our local regulars appreciate this. I enjoy brief conversations with many of them (you), and look forward to sharing more time with you this summer season.

I have reviewed a lot of the posts on this forum regarding the things that happened last summer, and I am confident that this year will be highly successful. If the current success of our General's Club is any indication (575 members! see http://wolfestavern.com/tavern-generals-club.html for more), we are on the right track.

I welcome any and all feedback that you may have, I can be reached at the Inn 569-3016, or by email ssmith @ wolfeboroinn dot com. Please be sure to say "Hi" the next time you come in!"
Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 PM   #46
Heaven

I think there may have been more than one "new" Tavern Manager since the renovation, but the change now is that there is a new General Manager. That means positive changes should be coming from the top down and include all aspects. Hopefully. Reading the employment history on the webpage of the top officers in the company that purchased the Inn, I would agree that their backgrounds appear to be largely in large hotel chains. They may not understand (or even want) the small local area hotel flavor.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #47
Lakepilot

Several people from our road ate there last night. We were all quite satisfied with the experience. The service was very good as was the food. I forget the name of our server, but she had recently relocated with her husband from Sarasota Florida. She was excellent and a credit to the Inn. The food was not the best we've ever had but it was very good.

I really hope they continue to improve because it's a great place for larger contingents.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM   #48
Seeker

Looks like a job for UNDERCOVER BOSS.

Seriously though, my wife and I eat out about 3x per week and are dying to try the Inn but since it's a half hour+ away I want to see a few good reviews first.

Remember the GM reports to Sr Management/owners so unless they give him total support and backing there may be no changes. We still wish them all the best in their efforts.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:28 PM   #49
KBoater

Default Inn Breakfast

I went the Inn today for breakfast. Ordered the $5.00 breakfast. It was very good and too much food for me. Eggs, bacon, pancake, and home fries. Service was prompt.
Lakepilot (12-25-2010), secondcurve (12-25-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 07:43 PM   #50
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLboater View Post
I went the Inn today for breakfast. Ordered the $5.00 breakfast. It was very good and too much food for me. Eggs, bacon, pancake, and home fries. Service was prompt.
Thanks for the review FLboater. It is hard to screw up breakfast, but at least it is a start for these folks. I'm guardedly optimistic.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #51
FLAG!

Default Wolfeboro Inn

We ate there on Thanksgiving evening and had excellent service and very good food. We were having a family turkey dinner on Friday so we opted for other items on the menu.

I also had brunch there on Sunday the 19th. two adults and 4 kids. The spread was excellent. Good food choices. Breakfast of all kinds, Roast Beefe and country fried chicken!!! Good desserts too.

Also I've decided after who knows how many years to start punching a card for a mug. I figured, "what the hell?"
FLAG! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #52
RLW

Smile

It's great to see the good reviews coming back to the site. Hopefully they will continue to come. The bride and I will be trying it again right after the new year.

Last edited by RLW; 12-28-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: No corrections
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #53
gracygirl

I would have to say after going into the Wolfboro Inn quite a few times in the past several months, the restaurant has definately come a long way. My daughter and I go in a couple times a month, either for breakfast or dinner. We think the breakfast is fabulous! As I agree the tavern was in a downwards spiral, I have seen significant changes in the staff and the food. I think the new GM and the two restaurant managers have really started to get things turned around and heading in a positive direction. For all of you that have written the Wolfe's Tavern off, I would suggest giving it another chance!
gracygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gracygirl For This Useful Post:
beagle (01-21-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM   #54
RLW

Default Welcome to the site

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracygirl View Post
I would have to say after going into the Wolfboro Inn quite a few times in the past several months, the restaurant has definately come a long way. My daughter and I go in a couple times a month, either for breakfast or dinner. We think the breakfast is fabulous! As I agree the tavern was in a downwards spiral, I have seen significant changes in the staff and the food. I think the new GM and the two restaurant managers have really started to get things turned around and heading in a positive direction. For all of you that have written the Wolfe's Tavern off, I would suggest giving it another chance!
Gracygirl to the Winni site and thanks for your input as it is good news for all us restaurant goers.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #55
NoBozo

Just wondering... does Gracygirl have any connections with the Wolfeboro Inn. Her post seemed to be very professional. I apologize in advance for my Cynicism. NB
Old 01-20-2011, 07:55 PM   #56
Pineedles

RLW, you seem to have access to alot of graphic representations . Where do you get them from?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #57
secondcurve

Quote:
Just wondering... does Gracygirl have any connections with the Wolfeboro Inn. Her post seemed to be very professional. I apologize in advance for my Cynicism. NB
It is also her first post so the value of the post, in my humble opinion, is of limited value. That being said, I have dined at the Inn several times in the past couple of months. The quality of the food has improved in my opinion and a number of locals seem to have returned to the bar scene. However, the quality of the wait staff is still lacking. Perhaps they have improved marginally, but there still is a big need for training in this area. Waits can be long, the waitresses have little manners and there is a general lack of regard for the customers. I'd rate the overall experience a B- up from a D+.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:15 PM   #58
gracygirl

Quote:
No I don't have any "connections" with the Wolfboro Inn and I didn't think I would get adversly judged by my professionalism. I have read previous posts from people indicating that the Inn is full of the "local drinkers" and one would think you would be happy about having more 'professional" type customers at the Tavern. Again, all I wanted people to know is that I believe the restaurant is on the right track.
gracygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gracygirl For This Useful Post:
beagle (01-22-2011), jkjoshuatree (01-21-2011), Jonas Pilot (01-21-2011), Lucky1 (03-13-2011), RLW (01-21-2011), Rose (01-21-2011), upthesaukee (01-21-2011), winnisummergal (01-23-2011)
Old 01-21-2011, 03:34 PM   #59
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Welcome to the forum

Gracygirl, welcome and thanks for your input.
Rose (01-21-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 02:25 AM   #60
Espo

Default why?

Why keep hammering a place when they are down? I'm new to this forum, but I see a lot of people really hitting T.W.I. really hard. Maybe people are piling on? Never been there but I am willing to give the a try, and my post will be 100percent honest.
Espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 AM   #61
Chris Exley

Default I don't think people are hammering it.

I only gave one review on my experience from Thanksgiving. Most others are giving their honest review of the issues and problems as they see them. Intermingled with those bad reviews are some fairly good reviews. Sometimes, an individual review will point out a specific problem that gets discussed further. To my eyes, this has been a thread without the vitriol that accompanies some of the other threads on the forum.

I hope that you go to the Wolfeboro Inn and have a great experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Exley For This Useful Post:
secondcurve (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 08:49 AM   #62
gokart-mozart

Default Just Honest Commentary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo View Post
Why keep hammering a place when they are down? I'm new to this forum, but I see a lot of people really hitting T.W.I. really hard. Maybe people are piling on? Never been there but I am willing to give the a try, and my post will be 100percent honest.
I don't think people are piling on. TWI is an important property in the community, and its success or failure is important to more than its owners.

Since they re-opened, the restaurant (Wolfe's Tavern) has repeatedly had problems in a town with several other good-to-great restaurants. Comments are (hopefully) helpful to management in trying to right the ship.

I've been there twice in the last month, once for breakfast and once for dinner.

Breakfast was great - service, food, and efficiency all A+.

Dinner (with 5 kids) was not so good. We were not greeted for five or so minutes, in effect standing in a bar. We got a nice large table but no waitress was assigned to our party, so it took 35 minutes to be greeted and to get menus. This gave me plenty of time to observe the venue. Waitstaff appeared incredibly stressed and were verbally complaining to customers about their tasks. The food was only fair - for what the food was,I thought I overpaid. I ordered a pizza (after the long delay I was hungry, and how can you screw up pizza?) It was horribly - greasy, bland, and lukewarm at best.

So - how's the Inn? Mixed notices is the best I can say, and, in a town where you can walk into the Bayside, the Restaurant, or Garwoods and never have a bad experience or a bad meal, I fear they may be running out of time.

There's SOMETHING about the staff that's a problem. I don't know anything about running a restaurant, and if I didn't know Wolfeboro I'd say, "Hick town, country bumpkin losers with Yankee reserve, what do you expect?" - Except I DO know Wolfeboro, and I know that the waitstaff at the competition, including two restaurants that have opened in the past year, are superb. The Inn draws from the same labor pool, so that's not it.

I'm afraid I have no constructive suggestions about what to do. If it were my problem to solve, I'd get a world class greeter, stand in the kitchen so no bad food went out the door, and try to stay in business until summer.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gokart-mozart For This Useful Post:
christo1 (01-22-2011), jkjoshuatree (01-22-2011), secondcurve (01-22-2011)
Old 01-22-2011, 03:29 PM   #63
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokart-mozart View Post
I don't think people are piling on. TWI is an important property in the community, and its success or failure is important to more than its owners.

Since they re-opened, the restaurant (Wolfe's Tavern) has repeatedly had problems in a town with several other good-to-great restaurants. Comments are (hopefully) helpful to management in trying to right the ship.

I've been there twice in the last month, once for breakfast and once for dinner.

Breakfast was great - service, food, and efficiency all A+.

Dinner (with 5 kids) was not so good. We were not greeted for five or so minutes, in effect standing in a bar. We got a nice large table but no waitress was assigned to our party, so it took 35 minutes to be greeted and to get menus. This gave me plenty of time to observe the venue. Waitstaff appeared incredibly stressed and were verbally complaining to customers about their tasks. The food was only fair - for what the food was,I thought I overpaid. I ordered a pizza (after the long delay I was hungry, and how can you screw up pizza?) It was horribly - greasy, bland, and lukewarm at best.

So - how's the Inn? Mixed notices is the best I can say, and, in a town where you can walk into the Bayside, the Restaurant, or Garwoods and never have a bad experience or a bad meal, I fear they may be running out of time.

There's SOMETHING about the staff that's a problem. I don't know anything about running a restaurant, and if I didn't know Wolfeboro I'd say, "Hick town, country bumpkin losers with Yankee reserve, what do you expect?" - Except I DO know Wolfeboro, and I know that the waitstaff at the competition, including two restaurants that have opened in the past year, are superb. The Inn draws from the same labor pool, so that's not it.

I'm afraid I have no constructive suggestions about what to do. If it were my problem to solve, I'd get a world class greeter, stand in the kitchen so no bad food went out the door, and try to stay in business until summer.
Very well said. These are the types of issues I have experienced, too. That being said, I have found the food to be pretty good, but service, as you point out, is lacking and then some. My theory is management understaffs and underpays its help so you wind up with disgruntled employees who deliver consistently poor service. I am not sure how to solve the issue either but I find it hysterical that one of the services that the owners of the Inn provide is consulting to other restaurants/Inns!!! Amazing.

Lastly, while there has been some improvement I'd tell anyone who wants to give it a try to avoid peak weekends, holidays, etc. This restaurant does especially poorly when there are a lot of folks around. Mozart's comments about waiting at the door to be acknowledged are spot on. I can't tell you how many times this has happened to me!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 PM   #64
George Soderberg

Default GM WBI Introduction & Invitation

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is George Soderberg and I am the new General Manager of the Wolfeboro Inn and Wolfe's Tavern.

By way of some small introduction I have have been in the hotel industry for twenty-five years the bulk of which, twenty-two years, were spent with Omni Hotels in locations all over the country.

The main purpose for my post is invite all of you to become a member of our "Community Advisory Board". It is my wish to engage the community enlisting your thoughts, suggestions and ideas as we move forward. It is also a forum where I can address personally and directly any issues/theories that you may have and/or are floating about but equally as important it's an opportunity for us to get to know each other.

The "CAB" meetings would be quarterly, take approximatley an hour and I would foresee tastings of one kind or another being in the mix. That is to say, I'd like these to be informative and fun. I would like to limit it to 10 or 12 participants first come, first serve and after a year invite others who remain interested to revolve in.

If you have an interest please reply via my email or phone number at gsoderberg@haycreekhotels.com or 603.569.3016 extention 805 or just stop in! Of course you can reach me directly absolutely anytime for any reason.

I am very excited about this opportunity and anxious to meet all of you. I appreciate the feedback. We have been focusing on service and food quality and receiving positive responses. We are not where we want to be yet but we are determined headed in the right direction.

You should know that we are bringing back some old favorites before we do our seasonal menu change. We make our soups from scratch and the French Onion soup is back some come on in and check it out!

Until we meet, enjoy and thank you for your passion!

Warm Regards,

George

Last edited by George Soderberg; 02-01-2011 at 09:59 AM.
George Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Soderberg For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (01-31-2011), Chris Exley (02-01-2011), RLW (01-31-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #65
Heaven

Thank you George, and I do wish you and the Wolfe Inn the best. I see your employment history below and am feeling a disconnect.
Where is the service component?
Where is the small town/intimate gathering place component?

Again, I do hope the best for the Inn

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/george-f...g-ii/4/928/691
Old 02-01-2011, 08:16 AM   #66
jack1706

Default ???

Wow, I can't quite think of how to reply to your email George...

I quess with over 22 years experience, you and your staff would already know what your Patrons want.

I know like most people, I want good service,(polite service),
good food ( not overcooked) and reasonable prices and a friendly place to keep going back to.

Sounds like you are still confused after all these years or something.
Can't quite put my finger on it. I would think you know this.

I wish only the best for the Inn --
as we always went to the old one -even when one meal wasn't so hot..(we still went back )

Good Luck
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 AM   #67
Chris Exley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1706 View Post
Wow, I can't quite think of how to reply to your email George...

I quess with over 22 years experience, you and your staff would already know what your Patrons want.

Good Luck
I wouldn't presume to make that assumption if I had not been in the community. As a computer consultant, I know I certainly don't go in to every
different client and expect them to be the exact same.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #68
jack1706

But, I'm sure if they are paying you... they have expectations....

and they want friendly service, good quality & their money's worth...(& you would handle them accordingly)

if that is what your expertise is in.

The Inn IS in the people business... food business & look forward to that same person returning over & over...........
jack1706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:03 AM   #69
camp guy

Default Wolfeboro Inn ?

Personally speaking, if George takes the time to read through the many posts concerning Wolfeboro Inn he will get more than enough information about what people want, and DON'T WANT, at the Inn. Some of the posts are very specific about certain areas of the operation.

The practice of meeting with the locals (not necessarily native locals, but those who live here full time) is a reasonably tried and true practice aimed at putting a real live face to the situation so as to create a feeling of personal attention to a problem. I have no argument with this technique.

I had breakfast at the Inn recently and was pleasantly surprised with the good food and excellent service. I sense progress with the service end of the operation.

My best wishes to the Wolfeboro Inn, and to George.
secondcurve (02-01-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #70
NoBozo

Now there's a guy (George) with BIG Credentials. SO.........I'm just thinking..Gar Woods (Wolfeboro) for example..satisfying their patrons.....seems to work...???

SO: How come Gar Woods works..??....How come Lions Den works...How come the Wood Shed works...Good thing those restaurants don't have BIG Corporate guys lookin out for them. Maybe the Wolfeboro Inn needs to get a LOCAL restauranteur to run the show...... I'll BET that would work. NB
Old 02-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #71
Merrymeeting

George,

Despite some of the responses, I'm sure I'm not alone in expressing appreciation for you reaching out here and trying to make things better.

With some, you couldn't win whatever you do. If you didn't respond here, the management of the Inn would be accused of being uncaring and disconnected. When you reach out, you are accused of being uncaring, corporate, and disconnected.

I'm sure it is no coincidence that several have noticed an improvement in service since your arrival. But you obviously have a long way to go to repair the reputation of the past few years. As has been mentioned, there is a lot of feedback here already. Read it carefully and you'll have a good start on the needed actions

Good luck
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Chris Exley (02-01-2011), christo1 (02-01-2011), Newbiesaukee (02-03-2011), Rose (02-01-2011), rrr (02-03-2011), winnisummergal (02-02-2011)
Old 02-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #72
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Soderberg View Post
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself. My name is George Soderberg and I am the new General Manager of the Wolfeboro Inn and Wolfe's Tavern.

By way of some small introduction I have have been in the hotel industry for twenty-five years the bulk of which, twenty-two years, were spent with Omni Hotels in locations all over the country.

The main purpose for my post is invite all of you to become a member of our "Community Advisory Board". It is my wish to engage the community enlisting your thoughts, suggestions and ideas as we move forward. It is also a forum where I can address personally and directly any issues/theories that you may have and/or are floating about but equally as important it's an opportunity for us to get to know each other.

The "CAB" meetings would be quarterly, take approximatley an hour and I would foresee tastings of one kind or another being in the mix. That is to say, I'd like these to be informative and fun. I would like to limit it to 10 or 12 participants first come, first serve and after a year invite others who remain interested to revolve in.

If you have an interest please reply via my email or phone number at gsoderberg@haycreekhotels.com or 603.569.3016 extention 805 or just stop in! Of course you can reach me directly absolutely anytime for any reason.

I am very excited about this opportunity and anxious to meet all of you. I appreciate the feedback. We have been focusing on service and food quality and receiving positive responses. We are not where we want to be yet but we are determined headed in the right direction.

You should know that we are bringing back some old favorites before we do our seasonal menu change. We make our soups from scratch and the French Onion soup is back some come on in and check it out!

Until we meet, enjoy and thank you for your passion!

Warm Regards,

George

George:

Below is a list of what I see as consistent problems at your restaurant:

1) The hostess desk at the front door is never staffed properly. Waits of five + minutes are not unusual;

2) Once seated, it is not uncommon to wait 15-minutes to have a waitress say hello;

3) Numbers 1 & 2 above seem to indicate you have a staffing problem;

4) There are often items on the menu that are unavailable for weeks at a time. The waitresses either say management is in the process of changing the menu or we just ran out of that item (despite the fact it has been out for the previous two weeks). Take items off the menu that can't be delivered;

In my opinion, your food is pretty good. If you can address the above issues I think you will go a long way toward improving the Inn's image.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:52 PM   #73
George Soderberg

Default Appreciate the feedback

Thank you for your continued feedback both positive and constructive. As someone noted earlier, this won't change over night but we will continue to focus, work hard and move forward.

George
George Soderberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:25 AM   #74
Arctos

Default Thanks to the Wolfeboro Inn for a great job...

I signed onto this forum specifically to thank George Soderberg and the full staff at the Wolfeboro Inn for a very big comeback in food and comfort for Folk Gallery's Jonathan Edwards show on Thursday February 10.

As a sponsor of the Folk Gallery series and a regular patron of the Inn and Tavern I add my voice of appreciation and relief that I can again recommend the Inn to friends and clients.

The Wolfeboro Inn is very often the default choice of accomodation and dining for the folks who drive our two roads for the first time and should make a lasting favorable impression.

Looking forward to Devon Square next month,

Dave Baker
Points North Financial Consulting
Wolfeboro, NH
Arctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #75
RLW

Default Welcome

Arctos to the forum and thanks for your input. Please enjoy all the great threads that are offered here on the forum.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:10 PM   #76
NoBozo

SORRY: Sounds like another "Seminar Caller" to me. When will the BS Stop. These people are connected with the Wolfeboro Inn. Rather than POST..maybe they should just take care of the PROBLEM at the INN. Once they do that....all the other stuff will just fall into place and the ratings will improve. How complicated can it be....?? NB
Old 02-13-2011, 07:55 PM   #77
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
SORRY: Sounds like another "Seminar Caller" to me. When will the BS Stop. These people are connected with the Wolfeboro Inn. Rather than POST..maybe they should just take care of the PROBLEM at the INN. Once they do that....all the other stuff will just fall into place and the ratings will improve. How complicated can it be....?? NB
Wow! How did you find out so quick that these people are connected with the Wolfeboro Inn?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #78
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Sorry

Quote:
Had you taken a few moments to check Mr Baker's post out, you would see that he is not connected with the Wolfeboro Inn. He is a local businessman and would be reasonably expected to be a sponser of the show. Thanks Arctos for your sponsership. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.arctous.net/arctous.aspx

And from the Folk Cellar ad online for the show: Here is the link to that show. http://www.wolfeborochamber.com/comp...ails/did,1142/

Bottom line: Here is someone who sponsored an event at the Inn and obviously was very pleased with their handling of the event and his investment in the function.

Methinks thou "dost protest too much" !

Mandatory disclaimer necessary in posting these days: I have been to the Inn 2-3 times in the past 15 years, none in the past 6-7 years. No financial interest. Do not know anyone who is employed there. I have not been compensated for this post .
Merrymeeting (02-14-2011), Rose (02-14-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 09:53 AM   #79
RLW

Quote:
upthesaukee, "Methinks thou "dost protest too much" !"

So mote it be.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:23 AM   #80
NoBozo

To all those who I have offended, I apologize for my indiscretion. I am not a local and don't know who the local players are.

I have been to the Wolfeboro Inn, although not in the past three or so years. The last time was either before or during the big renovation. We usually went to the Pub section for sandwiches and it was always fine.

This time we went to the big dining room for a fancy dinner. Without going into the details I can only say you don't go out and spend well over $100 for an experience like that. The service was non existant..

I don't remember what the food was like, but I DO remember the Service. NB
Old 02-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #81
Jonas Pilot

Quote:
To all those who I have offended, I apologize for my indiscretion. I am not a local and don't know who the local players are.

I have been to the Wolfeboro Inn, although not in the past three or so years. The last time was either before or during the big renovation. We usually went to the Pub section for sandwiches and it was always fine.

This time we went to the big dining room for a fancy dinner. Without going into the details I can only say you don't go out and spend well over $100 for an experience like that. The service was non existant..

What was it about the service that bothered you the most?
Old 02-14-2011, 03:58 PM   #82
Chris Exley

Default How about a retraction in addition to the apology.

Quote:

You apologized, but you didn't retract your accusation that it was someone with ulterior motives, or a connection to the establishment. That would be good to do, as well.
Old 02-14-2011, 05:23 PM   #83
Heaven

Clearly Mr. Baker's post was not spontaneousness, as it appears that the poster signed on for that comment alone. Which is not to say the comment wasn't true or valid, but the nature of the post does feel a bit "set up".
Having said that, the best experiences I have had at the Wolfeboro Inn have been attending functions as opposed to dining individually so the comment doesn't surprise me.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:49 PM   #84
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctos View Post
I signed onto this forum specifically to thank George Soderberg and the full staff at the Wolfeboro Inn for a very big comeback in food and comfort for Folk Gallery's Jonathan Edwards show on Thursday February 10.

As a sponsor of the Folk Gallery series and a regular patron of the Inn and Tavern I add my voice of appreciation and relief that I can again recommend the Inn to friends and clients.

The Wolfeboro Inn is very often the default choice of accomodation and dining for the folks who drive our two roads for the first time and should make a lasting favorable impression.

Looking forward to Devon Square next month,

Dave Baker
Wolfeboro, NH
How did it happen that you knew a forum in the Lakes region had a thread that talked about the Wolfeboro Inn.
Did George Soderberg ask you to post a comment about how well you liked the food and comfort that you got that evening?

It looks like you killed two birds with one stone. You promote the Inn and also advertise that you do financial consulting……and it didn’t cost you penny....not even a business card.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:49 PM   #85
RLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
How did it happen that you knew a forum in the Lakes region had a thread that talked about the Wolfeboro Inn.Did George Soderberg ask you to post a comment about how well you liked the food and comfort that you got that evening?

It looks like you killed two birds with one stone. You promote the Inn and also advertise that you do financial consulting……and it didn’t cost you penny....not even a business card.

When was the first and last time that you particapated in this thread and how did you locate it. This gentlemen may have found it the same way that you did.
ronc4424 (02-15-2011)
Old 02-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #86
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
When was the first and last time that you particapated in this thread and how did you locate it. This gentlemen may have found it the same way that you did.
Are you the official spokesperson for:

Dave Baker
Wolfeboro, NH
Old 02-14-2011, 09:40 PM   #87
Rag Top Daze

Default Different opinion

We were at the Jonathan Edwards show. We didn't eat there, but talked to several friends who did. They're take on the meal was VERY different. They were complaining about the price for what they got, and the fact that by the time they got back to their table, the food was cold.

Jonathan was great!

I live for a rag top day
Rag Top Daze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:58 AM   #88
ronc4424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty
How did it happen that you knew a forum in the Lakes region had a thread that talked about the Wolfeboro Inn.Did George Soderberg ask you to post a comment about how well you liked the food and comfort that you got that evening?

I found this forum while looking for Winnie web cams.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:34 AM   #89
SIKSUKR

I have no opinion on the WI having never been.I'm not getting into the middle of this but my first thought about that post was exactly what NoBozo posted.
Rusty (02-15-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #90
Happy Gourmand

I have no dog in this hunt...I've eaten at the WI once or twice in the past and can't even recall what was ordered or the level of service we got from our waitperson.
I continue to be amazed at how so many are so quick to jump on a new poster. I'm sure that some are setups but as I write this there are 24 members signed on and 235 others who are probably just reading the posts gathering information, or whatever. Is it likely that one or two of these others read a post and feel compelled to sign up and respond to it? I think it's highly likely that this is what happens more often than not.
C'mon, folks, give a new poster a welcome rather than a crucifixion. If their post is a setup, they will be smoked out in due time. I think we need to try a little harder to be more tolerant of opinions that may differ from ours....it is, after all, a forum. And if we all agreed with all the posts, all of the time, it would be a very boring place to be, wouldn't it?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Happy Gourmand For This Useful Post:
beagle (02-15-2011), Jonas Pilot (02-15-2011), Lucky1 (03-13-2011), pondguy (02-15-2011), RLW (02-15-2011), Rose (02-15-2011), Two dobys (02-16-2011), upthesaukee (02-15-2011), VitaBene (02-16-2011), winnisummergal (02-16-2011)
Old 02-15-2011, 11:04 AM   #91
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
If their post is a setup, they will be smoked out in due time.
Can't create smoke without a bit of heat.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:40 PM   #92
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
I have no dog in this hunt...I've eaten at the WI once or twice in the past and can't even recall what was ordered or the level of service we got from our waitperson.
I continue to be amazed at how so many are so quick to jump on a new poster. I'm sure that some are setups but as I write this there are 24 members signed on and 235 others who are probably just reading the posts gathering information, or whatever. Is is likely that one or two of these others read a post and feel compelled to sign up and respond to it? I think it's highly likely that this is what happens more often than not.
C'mon, folks, give a new poster a welcome rather than a crucifixion. If their post is a setup, they will be smoked out in due time. I think we need to try a little harder to be more tolerant of opinions that may differ from ours....it is, after all, a forum. And if we all agreed with all the posts, all of the time, it would be a very boring place to be, wouldn't it?
Phantom:

Good points. I think the frustration of many of the posters is the Inn's lack of progress/improvement despite the fact its owners bill themselves as restauranteurs, as well as consultants to the industry. This restaurant should be head and shoulders above anything in town and that is clearly not the case.

A couple of additional suggestions I'd like to make to management:

1) Print enough menus for every seat in the house plus have some back-ups. I have been there at least twice when they ran out of menus and the place wasn't even full.

2) Have every member of the Inn (inclusive of management) intern at the 99 Restaurant chain as a waiter/waitress to learn about superior customer service.

Good Luck. Your season is fast approaching.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:46 PM   #93
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I have no opinion on the WI having never been.I'm not getting into the middle of this but my first thought about that post was exactly what NoBozo posted.
You should visit and provide your thoughts to the Forum. Given your occupation and the high level of positive reviews your establishment consistently receives your opinion on the Wolfeboro Inn would be meaningful and likely well received by the forum.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #94
chipj29

Quote:
You should visit and provide your thoughts to the Forum. Given your occupation and the high level of positive reviews your establishment consistently receives your opinion on the Wolfeboro Inn would be meaningful and likely well received by the forum.
I think you have confused siksukr with samiam.
secondcurve (02-17-2011)
Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #95
eillac@dow

I do hate to post bad reviews of a restaurant or any establishment....but...something is wrong here. I do believe they are trying...why wouldn't they? They got a great place, great location and have such great opportunities to prosper. But my recent experience.....

I stayed this past weekend at the Inn and I found the rooms just fine. Actually, I was pleasantly surprised at the size of the room. Two nice queen beds...very comfy....nice big couch and a nice big chair. It suited me, my mom and two sisters just fine. I found the room to be clean...so no complaints here. All Inn staff was very pleasant, answered all questions, offered assistance checking in and checking out...but....

During the evening, we decided to go to the lounge for a drink. Walking out of our room we opened a door and went down the staircase. Only to find out that the staircase led to a locked front door....that was it! So back up the stairs we go. And low and behold there is no door knob. Not like it was missing...fell off...nothing. There was never a door knob there. Back down the stairs we go (now this is not a stairwell, but a nice stair case). Door does not open. Back up I go. I take my shoe off and start slamming the heel of my shoe off of the door to get attention. Nothing. So we can either pull the fire alarm or I can use my cell phone. I dial 411, ask for the Wolfeboro Inn and "kindly" alert them that 4 women are trapped in stairway in the Inn. (now my mom is with me....77 yrs old)

We were found!!! They must of known of the staircase. Offers of a free drink and breakfast were made. Naturally, we took them up on the free drink (and then had one or two more)!

The poor man that "rescued" us. We read him the riot act. First of all, why is there no sign on the door saying "No exit" or "Do Not Enter". Before we went back to our room that night, we went by the door and low and behold there was a sign up.

Went to breakfast the next morning......around 8:30. First issue....finding menu's....Menu's are not available at 8:30? The place was far from being full. Second issue..."Would you all like coffee? Yes, please" we wait and wait...see another waitress come by and ask about coffee and then our waitress comes by with the empty pot in her hand" and says...I just have to brew another pot. Maybe it is me, but I always thought coffee was a popular menu selection at breakfast.

Breakfast turned out to be a bust. After a long wait, eggs were cold....homefries..horrible...but the sausages were good!

Let's just say that I am glad I did not pay for breakfast because it certainly would not be worth it.

I do hate to dump on restaurants, (although I think I just did a fine job of it). But they need to know that there is a serious issue. Again, the two night stay was fine...I would probably stay there again (although would be cautious about stairways ). But the restaurant needs some help.

I know the Wolfeboro Inn's GM has chimed in here. I know things do not happen over night. I am willing to give them another shot...as far as staying there. Would I eat there? Probably not. Not until I read or hear good reviews.

eillac
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eillac@dow For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (02-17-2011), jkjoshuatree (02-17-2011), NoBozo (02-17-2011)
Old 02-17-2011, 11:43 AM   #96
NoBozo

I'm sure everyone reading this thread and the earlier much longer thread are wondering, as I am, what IS going on at the Wolfeboro Inn. Nothing makes sense.

If this business were locally owned, and managed like this, this place would have gone out of business long ago.

I suggest that this business is surviving on Welfare..from the parent corporation, and doesn't NEED to do any work or produce anything. Corporate subsidies keep the doors open.... We all know welfare doesn't encourage anyone receiving it to be productive. (I forgot.. not all the doors Open..which is very inconvenient at least, and maybe a Fire Code violation. Maybe if the door was opened it would set off an alarm.)

I wonder if Corporate is just wanting/waiting/begging someone to buy the Inn. Maybe sell it for a Dollar, with the buyer assuming the debt. Can you do that..?

Just thinking out loud. NB
Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 PM   #97
Merrymeeting

eillac,

If you read my earlier review, it is almost a mirror image of yours. The Inn seems to be run very well and I would not hesitate to recommend that anyone stay there.

I don't understand why it seems to be so hard to fix the dining portion.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #98
RLW

It sounds as if there is a big conspiracy going on as all the bad reviews about the Inn are being put in here by competitive restaurants. Has to be, as all the good reviews are by people who have an interest in the Inn per many individuals that post on this thread.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:10 PM   #99
Coolbreeze

Conspiracy? Hardly.
The inn has been under fire for terrible service for years. The food services have always been reviewed as poor or lacking. The Inns ratings haven't been as bad.
Reading the reviews and comments about the Inn all leave the same impression to the reader and that is, use the place at your own risk.
You may be pleasantly surprised or as the odds have it, you'll be disappointed.
I actaully think at this point, some people go there just to see how bad it really is and walk out saying "wow, they were right."
It is a very sad state of internal affairs that are causing this potential gem to fail horribly.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:28 PM   #100
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLW View Post
It sounds as if there is a big conspiracy going on as all the bad reviews about the Inn are being put in here by competitive restaurants. Has to be, as all the good reviews are by people who have an interest in the Inn per many individuals that post on this thread.
I'm with you RLW; it's a "Vast right-wing conspiracy"...no doubt about it.