Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Diving Winnipesaukee
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Wreck of the Dago

While reading some of my old history docs on Winni I came across a reference that escaped me before. A Google search in the past lead me to the DA Long Tavern website, part of FunSpot. On that site it mentions that Tim Lawton, the current owner, and the fact he dove what I call the Pile Driver wreck off the Weirs (on the chart).

However that reference, along with one on the Lake Winni Historical Society website with nearly the same text, might refer to the wreck of the Dago. I think they could be the same wreck.

That information reads, with the location being given as off the Weirs also as:

"A barge owned by Goodhue & Hawkins of Wolfeboro, the Dago was being used as a judge’s stand for the 4th of July boat races in 1913 when it was hit by a tornado and sunk. An historic photograph, courtesy of John Goodhue, shows the Dago in its former glory."

From what I have read in the past the "Pile Driver barge" also went down during the 4th of July fireworks, perhaps about 1920, as it was being used as a viewing platform for the event.

I have requested a photo and if I get it I will post it, and compare it to what I saw when I dove the barge that is off the Weirs.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
topwater

Hauns, who did you request a picture from?
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #3
Senter Cove Guy

Default Dove It 2 Weeks Ago

Can't wait to see the "glory days" picture. Since this wreck has some very unique features, it should be easy to verify if it's the same as in the picture.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
Airwaves

I'm not a diver but I have always wondered if there is any evidence left of the great fire at the Weirs that destroyed the Mt Washington I and other boats lost? My GGrandfather lost a boat in that fire.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
Diver1111

Default Picture request

I requested a picture of the Dago from the Lake Winni Historical Society. They called me back today and is on it-should have it soon. It will be interesting.

Imagine if it's a different wreck? If anyone has information re: this question I'd like to hear about it.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
Diver1111

Default Picture of the Dago

Hi All,

The LWHS (Lake Winni Historical Society) at my request dug up the attached picture of the Dago-clearly a barge but I'm not certain it's the same wreck that I/we call the "Pile Driver" barge, for several good reasons. It would be nice if they are not the same wreck.

Once I figure out what the relationship is between the Pile Driver barge and the Dago is I will post it. While they do have similarities I am not convinced they are the same wreck.

Too many details to get into now. But another cool piece of Winni history.
Attached Images

Old 09-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #7
Grant

Great photo -- thanks for sharing.

Senter Cove Guy and I dove the Weirs barge a few weeks ago. It was my second time on the wreck, and I believe his third (at least). The one thing in this photo that seems to match the Weirs wreck is the winch-like structure at the bow, which is prominent, although lying down, on the Weirs wreck.

The Weirs wreck also has a very prominent boiler (?) which could be inside or below that wheel house. But that structure on the Weirs barge does not seem to be as close to the stern as it appear in the photo. Also -- the Weirs barge seems somewhat longer than this one, but it's hard to tell.

Thanks for digging this up. It would be great if there's another barge down there waiting to be discovered. Given the awful visibility in that area, it might be challenging (and that's where the side-scan sonar comes in handy!).

g
Old 09-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
NoBozo

The picture is consistant with a "Water Jet" type pile driver. The house at the stern would probably contain a large slow turning Gas or Diesel engine that could be used for two purposes: One as a propulsion engine if the barge is self propelled. (unlikely I think) Secondly, the engine would drive a water pump.

The "A" frame derrick at the bow......and it may be a Tripod with one of the legs hidden behind the left leg in the picture. The "other" slimmer thing hanging from the top of the derrick would be the water jet pipe (like a soda straw) with a hose running off the top of the pipe and sagging back off to the engine/pump house.

The piling would be hung off the top of the derrick with the water jet pipe hugging the side of the piling with the bottom end of the pipe near the bottom of the pile. Water is pumped down alongside the pile through the pipe at high pressure... dislodging the bottom material up and out of the "water drilled" hole ..allowing the pile to sink into the bottom. When the pile settles to the desired depth under its own weight, the jet pipe is withdrawn and the pump is turned off... allowing the walls of the hole around the pile to collapse around the pile and the work is done.

The front face of the wheelhouse seems to be at a different ..odd angle to what "appears" to the face of the derrick, ...which leads me to believe the what looks like an "A" frame is actually a tripod with the center/back leg (with ladder steps) ..on the centerline of the barge.

The picture is a little dark but I think there is a "donkey engine" ...or winch in front of the wheelhouse.

Last but not least: The barge seems to be grossly "Hogged" and will probably
open it's seams and sink, not long after the picture was taken. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
Diver1111

Default Large frame

Thanks for the last post-great information.

So what's this very big frame roughly amidships upright in the water column? Not in the photograph.
Attached Images

Old 09-06-2009, 06:48 PM   #10
NoBozo

I can only believe from that underwater picture .. that that structure such as you described as amidship would be a "Spreader" of some sort to bring support to the derrick from a more aft... or more advantageous angle....Via cables.

BUT there is no evidence of such a support in the Dago picture. I had a problem with the Dago picture..in that there was no apparent aft support for the derrick...hence I speculate the derrick was a tripod..which would "Self Support". BTW: And I am just speculating here....if the "spreader" were in use on the Dago..the "HOG" in the hull would perhaps have been less severe. A kind of balance of forces which would have diminished the tendancy to hog.

The "donkey engine" winch cable which would be used to lift the pile to vertical, would run horizontally along the deck of the barge foreward....and turn UPward via a sheave/pulley at the base of the tripod.

Another picture of the Dago from a different angle would answer some of the questions as to what type of derrick was onboard. NB

PS: #1: I have not to date... been able to decipher side scan sonar pictures.

PS: #2: My first experience with SCUBA was in 1961 or so. I dove off a small island in Greenwood Lake, NY and went down to "whatever depth" it was, and was unable to dive deeper than an ICY layer of water. I think Wetsuits were not invented yet. I could actually stick my finger into the layer...it was ICEWATER. I think today we recognise this as a Thermocline.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Grant

Great information, thanks!

The lack of the "H" in the photo has me hopeful that there's another barge wreck out there.