Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Fish Tales
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #1
Striper295

Default Stress

Hi Folks,

I had all the best intentions of getting to the "Big" lake over the past two years. I never did..
I stayed on Winnisquam wich is great but now I'm going for it.

My main goal is to take my father in law out fishing the big lake this year. We don't have any knowledge per say of the lake from a mariner standpoint more than what I've read and looked at on the Bizer map. I did spend a lot of time on the water with my dad who was a Navy guy and seemed like he knew every part of the lake. When I was young I didn't pay attention just trusted him. We are both hack fishermen that enjoy being on the water. I am just starting to get real setups with lead core. I don't have down riggers.
My boat is a 20ft Starweld. Not huge but does the job. Again we mostly just jig and try to catch some bass. My father in law would love to catch a laker or a salmon.

My goal is to find the least amount of stress in the process. I'm looking for easy ramps, I will pay. I will pay to relieve the crazy back and forth of loading and unloading in public popular areas.

I am not looking for those fishy guarded hot spots, just some local guidance of launch areas that are close to possible fishy locations. I really don't care if we catch a thing, just want the experiences to be positive and memorable. He is in his mid 70's now and want him to enjoy the time out most of all..

I am going up to AJ's to see about lead core setups this weekend. I will inquire there as well.

I have posted before and the feedback from this group has been wonderful.

Thank you in advance.
Striper295 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
NH.Solar

While you are at AJs, be sure to pick up a copy of Dr. Lyon's "Angling in the Smile of the Great Spirit" A fabulous read!
The Following User Says Thank You to NH.Solar For This Useful Post:
Striper295 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
ishoot308

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striper295 View Post
Hi Folks,

I had all the best intentions of getting to the "Big" lake over the past two years. I never did..
I stayed on Winnisquam wich is great but now I'm going for it.

My main goal is to take my father in law out fishing the big lake this year. We don't have any knowledge per say of the lake from a mariner standpoint more than what I've read and looked at on the Bizer map. I did spend a lot of time on the water with my dad who was a Navy guy and seemed like he knew every part of the lake. When I was young I didn't pay attention just trusted him. We are both hack fishermen that enjoy being on the water. I am just starting to get real setups with lead core. I don't have down riggers.
My boat is a 20ft Starweld. Not huge but does the job. Again we mostly just jig and try to catch some bass. My father in law would love to catch a laker or a salmon.

My goal is to find the least amount of stress in the process. I'm looking for easy ramps, I will pay. I will pay to relieve the crazy back and forth of loading and unloading in public popular areas.

I am not looking for those fishy guarded hot spots, just some local guidance of launch areas that are close to possible fishy locations. I really don't care if we catch a thing, just want the experiences to be positive and memorable. He is in his mid 70's now and want him to enjoy the time out most of all..

I am going up to AJ's to see about lead core setups this weekend. I will inquire there as well.

I have posted before and the feedback from this group has been wonderful.

Thank you in advance.
If I could make a big suggestion...You would learn a lot and your dad would have a blast if you hire a guide for a day. Yes it will cost you $300.00 or so but what you would take away from that one trip is many years of trial and error on your own. After this one trip you would certainly be much better equipped with both knowledge of the lake as well as proper tackle to do it on your own.

If this interest you, I would highly recommend you contact Glen Leathers of Island Fishing Charters. Glen not only guides but loves to teach his clients his skill and show you the lake. He is very personable and a true sportsman. Here is his website for more info.... http://www.islandfishingcharters.com/

Good luck!

Dan
Old 04-05-2017, 12:28 PM   #4
Barney Bear

Default Excellent Angler

Hal Lyon is a neighbor on East Bear Island. Almost every morning we see him head out to go fishing in his boat "Smile of the Great Spirit". He is also a great chef - we have enjoyed delicious salmon at his camp. 🐟
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
Pricestavern

Not sure where on the lake you'll be staying, which might make my suggestion impractical, but I'd suggest launching your boat at West Alton Marina. They have a fair amount of room to maneuver, launch rates are reasonable, and it's sort of out of the way so it's not terribly busy (unless there's a bass tournament happening).

Fishing with no stress - I would suggest Orchard Cove by Cow Island. Very peaceful. Used to be good for bass and perch, though I haven't actually been fishing there in a while.
Pricestavern is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2017, 06:54 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
If I could make a big suggestion...You would learn a lot and your dad would have a blast if you hire a guide for a day. Yes it will cost you $300.00 or so but what you would take away from that one trip is many years of trial and error on your own. After this one trip you would certainly be much better equipped with both knowledge of the lake as well as proper tackle to do it on your own.

If this interest you, I would highly recommend you contact Glen Leathers of Island Fishing Charters. Glen not only guides but loves to teach his clients his skill and show you the lake. He is very personable and a true sportsman. Here is his website for more info.... http://www.islandfishingcharters.com/

Good luck!

Dan
I agree with hiring a guide. my son in law and I have done this to fish in unfamiliar waters and it made for a great experience. Fishing can be great father -son day even if you don't catch anything, but the guide will enhance the day immeasurably.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #7
Striper295

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Good luck!

Dan

I was looking last night for charters/guides as I do feel it will be very helpful if there is the willingness to communicate. I went on a couple charters on Lake Ontario and it was just reel and dont ask questions type deal. I will call Glen and get out there.
Striper295 is offline   Reply With Quote