Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-11-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
Toyorelle

Default Good campgrounds in White Mountains

So the GF and I are going camping next week for a few days mid-week. Does anyone have any recommendations for nice campgrounds in the White Mountain area? We are in our late 20's-30ish so it doesn't have to be real quiet. electricity isn't a must (we'll be tenting it) but if possible a water faucet at the site and a clean bathouse is very important! Thanks!!
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:16 PM   #2
fatlazyless

The White Mountain National Forest in northern New Hampshire and western Maine has 23 different camprounds spread out all across the mountains all over the WMNF, run by the US Forest Service. Excellent run campgrounds and best deal aroound if you use a tent. There are no hook-ups for rv's but do have drinking water, and decent toilet facilities. A few have showers like at the Campton Campground in Campton.

The price is twenty dollars/night for a campsite and they get used mostly by tenters as there are no hookups for rv's. The 9% NH campground tent tax is not charged because it is federal land .owned & operated by the U S of A.

Lights out at ten! !
Old 08-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyorelle View Post
So the GF and I are going camping next week for a few days mid-week. Does anyone have any recommendations for nice campgrounds in the White Mountain area? We are in our late 20's-30ish so it doesn't have to be real quiet. electricity isn't a must (we'll be tenting it) but if possible a water faucet at the site and a clean bathouse is very important! Thanks!!
So that rules out "Jellystone" in Ashland
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
BGB2

Default Lost River Campgrounds

I often tent at Lost River in North Woodstock. Sites have water, sometimes electricity, clean showers, etc. They're located roughly 5 minutes west of Lincoln on Route 112. There is a really good Italian restaurant about a mile from the camp whose name I can't recall. Lincoln has numerous establishment/services if you forget something: groceries, a flashlight, hat, beer, etc. If inclined, see their Internet address below.

Enjoy.

http://lostriver.com/
BGB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:21 AM   #5
fatlazyless

That really good Italian restauant built over a steep rocky stream full of water, Giovani's, is CLOSED as of two weeks ago, last time up there. Hope it reopens....it was excellent!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 08-12-2009 at 08:48 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Toyorelle

Thanks for the suggestions!! it's great to hear experiences people have had at different campgrounds than just reading the brochures
Old 08-14-2009, 08:57 PM   #7
RI Swamp Yankee

If you are thinking of North Conway, I have been going to Saco River Camping Area for more years than I can remember. We tent camped there for years but now tow the "house" behind us when we go. It isn't fancy and costs a bit more than state parks but has clean rest rooms, showers, and friendly people. They have Canoe and Kayak rentals and will bus you to a put in location in the morning for a leisurly ride down the Saco River to the campground.

http://www.sacorivercampingarea.com/
Old 08-17-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
Pier626

Default Ohter Northern NH campgrounds

Another couple of campground suggestions up in the Whites.

If you're into hiking, you can't beat Lafayette in Franconia notch since they are right at the trail head for hiking the ridge. http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...&parkId=270044

My personal pick - Glen Ellis campground, where the Ellis and Saco rivers meet. More of a resort with ballfields, pool, tennis courts, etc, but still pretty spread out and comfortable. They even have remote tenting where you leave your car behind. http://www.glenelliscampground.com/

Enjoy.
-Pier626
Pier626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier626 View Post

If you're into hiking, you can't beat Lafayette in Franconia notch since they are right at the trail head for hiking the ridge. http://www.reserveamerica.com/campin...&parkId=270044

My personal pick - Glen Ellis campground, where the Ellis and Saco rivers meet. More of a resort with ballfields, pool, tennis courts, etc, but still pretty spread out and comfortable. They even have remote tenting where you leave your car behind. http://www.glenelliscampground.com/

Enjoy.
-Pier626
We have stayed at Glen Ellis twice. Once 9 years ago, and once last month. They have tons of stuff to do, and the staff there is very nice. We enjoyed both of our stays very much, and I would highly recommend it.

Another "resort" type campground would be Moose Hillock campground, over in Warren. They have a great swimming pool, with a good sized waterslide for the kids. Their campsites are HUGE, and most of them have what I like to call "built-in" firepits. They are built with the existing boulders/rocks. We love that place as well, but it is definately geared more towards families with kids.
Old 08-18-2009, 08:40 AM   #10
gtagrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
We have stayed at Glen Ellis twice. Once 9 years ago, and once last month. They have tons of stuff to do, and the staff there is very nice. We enjoyed both of our stays very much, and I would highly recommend it.

Another "resort" type campground would be Moose Hillock campground, over in Warren. They have a great swimming pool, with a good sized waterslide for the kids. Their campsites are HUGE, and most of them have what I like to call "built-in" firepits. They are built with the existing boulders/rocks. We love that place as well, but it is definately geared more towards families with kids.
I second Moosehillock! It is our favorite campground. Far enough off the beaten path with absolutely no highway noise. We stayed there this past July and our heading up for Labor day weekend. Our two boys can't get enough of the Pirate Ship waterslide.
As Chipj29 said, the campsites are huge and very private.
gtagrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Toyorelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pier626 View Post

Enjoy.
-Pier626

So we ended up at Lafayette campground. Checked in on Tuesday the 18th. We were warned there was a bear at the campground the previous few days. This scared the GF. Sure enough, 5am on Wednesday, we had a visitor. The bear was only 10 feet from the tent! I wasn't able to get a picture due to my girlfriend holding on so tight and shaking. She didn't sleep a wink that night. Needless to say, we packed up and stayed at the Indian Head resort in Lincoln the next two nights. Very nice place!! the jacuzzi's, heated pools, indoor/and out, and the 50 inch plasma in the room were very nice!! I don't think we'll be camping again this year. Hopefully we can get out there again next year!

Thanks for all the recommendations!
Old 08-24-2009, 09:05 AM   #12
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyorelle View Post
So we ended up at Lafayette campground. Checked in on Tuesday the 18th. We were warned there was a bear at the campground the previous few days. This scared the GF. Sure enough, 5am on Wednesday, we had a visitor. The bear was only 10 feet from the tent! I wasn't able to get a picture due to my girlfriend holding on so tight and shaking. She didn't sleep a wink that night. Needless to say, we packed up and stayed at the Indian Head resort in Lincoln the next two nights. Very nice place!! the jacuzzi's, heated pools, indoor/and out, and the 50 inch plasma in the room were very nice!! I don't think we'll be camping again this year. Hopefully we can get out there again next year!

Thanks for all the recommendations!
Sounds like you took the correct course of action to keep your GF happy!

Just so you know, many many many campgrounds throughout New England and beyond have seen bears. We have camped all over NH, and I would say that at least 75% of the campgrounds have given us warnings when checking in. However, I have yet to see one. In fact, I have seen more bears at home (one) than I have camping (none).
Old 08-24-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
fatlazyless

For a small WMNF campground located within the town borders of Waterville Valley, and in the WMNF, check out the Osceola View tent & rv campgroumd.

Hey, if you don't want to go hiking the Whites due to the 3-H's, you can always go nearby to the huge WV ice arena and rent ice skates in air conditioned, 45-degree, August comfort and then go to a Mexican restaurant..

Rough it at Osceola View and avoid the 9% NH campground tax.....plus all the local bears...don't bother with the campground trash.....when they can be eating the nearby restaurant dumpster trash.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:40 PM   #14
jennygum

Crawford Notch Campground is really nice. It has both tent sites and RV sites, as well as a very clean bathhouse with metered showers. We were lucky enough to get a tent site right on the Saco River and it was absolutely beautiful. I highly recommend it!
jennygum is offline   Reply With Quote