Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
jazzman

Default AWOL Siamese cat on Barndoor Island

We haven't seen our siamese cat (Bode), for 24+ hours on Barndoor Island. I've never seen an animal out here that could take a large cat, so we're hoping he's wandering about someplace begging other people for food. He is very friendly...

If anyone sees him, please give us a call 603-569-6115
Attached Images

jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 10:37 AM   #2
Greene's Basin Girl

I hope Bode returns very soon!
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:43 PM   #3
DRH

Default Go Home, Bode!

jazzman - hopefully Bode is just out exploring and he'll return home soon.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:09 PM   #4
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Arrow Posted to FaceBook

Jazzman, I just posted this on I Boat on Winnipesaukee on FaceBook. I also tried to share in Barndoor Island's page, but I cannot tell if it was successful. Please let us know if Bode comes home. Hopefully he's just getting a little extra loving from a fellow islander and will be home quick. What a good looking fur baby!
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:24 AM   #5
jazzman

Smile Bode has returned !!!

Bode has returned :-) ... Looks like he walked a little far afield and got confused. He was possibly feasting on another islander's outside cat food.

Our daughter found him across the island (but really only maybe 800 feet away if one walked straight across the island).

We're glad he didn't end up as bald eagle food, though really I can't find anything on the internet that would indicate that a bald eagle could or would take a 15 pound cat.

Guess he'll be confined to quarters for a few days...
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jazzman For This Useful Post:
BaileyBecca (08-18-2015), Bernie Girl (08-18-2015), billy (08-18-2015), Greene's Basin Girl (08-17-2015), noreast (08-19-2015), PaugusBayFireFighter (08-17-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (08-17-2015), thinkxingu (08-17-2015), tis (08-17-2015), wifi (08-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Rattlesnake Gal

Talking Whew!

Great news Jazzman! I am thrilled that Bode is back where he belongs.

Given the size of our Winnipesaukee eagles, a 15 pound cat might be of interest to them. Though given the abundance of food at this time of year, maybe not too bad. I do worry for my 12-ish pound Cairn Terriers. Thankfully they're nervous around the water and do not hang out on the dock like our beloved Mac did. I did put up lines to help deter an eagle swooping in too.
Old 08-17-2015, 11:33 AM   #7
jazzman

Our cats don't hang out in the open and I don't know if an eagle can crash through the trees to catch prey. Fish are pretty easy lunch too.

That said, there was a huge racket at 6am one day last week. Sounded like a sea gull being ripped to shreds. We went outside and found a pair of very large birds squabbling in the next door yard. They weren't the bald eagles that live in the area, but they were extremely very large brown birds.

There was nothing on the ground and when they saw us they took off and squabbled in the air a bit (making the terrified seagull noise). All very odd.

I figure a small island is about as good as it gets for kitties that like to be outside (and the last thing we want is a cat box in a small house in the summer). We rarely let them out at home as there are all sorts of cat predators around (fox, coyote, fisher cats and other assorted weasel critters).
Old 08-17-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
kawishiwi

Default Bald Eagle 4 to 8 lbs, maybe, max prey size...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...rticles_id=343
kawishiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:49 PM   #9
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman View Post
Bode has returned :-) ... Looks like he walked a little far afield and got confused. He was possibly feasting on another islander's outside cat food.

Our daughter found him across the island (but really only maybe 800 feet away if one walked straight across the island).

We're glad he didn't end up as bald eagle food, though really I can't find anything on the internet that would indicate that a bald eagle could or would take a 15 pound cat.

Guess he'll be confined to quarters for a few days...
My vet told me that an owl once flew off with a 12 pound cat. The cat was gone for good. This happened in Moultonborough.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:56 PM   #10
Rattlesnake Gal

Red face Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Thanks, kawishiwi. It does make me feel a little better, though my worry wasn't that it could fly far, I was concerned it would be a grab, drop, kill and eat. If I recall, correctly, a Forum member saw an eagle in Wolfeboro with a cat. Will try to find the post.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Gal

Arrow Eagle Takes a Cat

I Saw an Eagle Take a Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
This morning on my way to work driving down RT109 a bald eagle grabbed a cat off the road and flew down the road in front of me. It could not get altitude and landed on the side of the road. The cat was still moving round so it was not a road kill. I felt bad for the cat, but did not intervene. Eventually the Eagle made another attempt at lift off and flew into the woods. This was right near Blacks Landing Road, and I am guessing this is one of the two that I see around Melvin Village from time to time?
Sorry no pics but not sure I would have posted them as this was someones cat.....Cat was dark brown or black, BTW.

I'd bet that if I had matched it's speed I could have grabbed it from my window. that is how low it was flying....