Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2019, 10:59 AM   #1
Taz

Default Water quality

There have been many threads about the degradation of water quality over the years. I bring this up because there is a article in the LDS today about the Winnipesaukee River Basin Project. This project started in 72 and culminated in 93 when Gunstock Rec Area was connected to the system. Prior to this project Tilton, Northfield, Franklin discharged sewage directly into the Winnipesaukee River which leads to the Merrimack. Laconia and Laconia State School primary treatment plants discharged into Lake Winnisquam, Meredith discharged into Meredith Bay, Center Harbor discharged into Center Harbor Bay all without secondary treatment to remove nutrients.

The WRBP built a system that collected affluent and using pumping stations carried it to a new wastewater treatment plant in Franklin. Maybe because of the WRBP water quality is better now than in the old days. Although, the knee jerk reaction is water quality is so much worse now. Maybe not. Also, septic systems are probably much better now.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:23 AM   #2
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz View Post

Also, septic systems are probably much better now.
If you think about it septic systems are basically dumping affluent into the ground, the only "better" systems are the rather exotic ones that discharge only potable water and actually treats what goes in before it is expelled. Of course it can be argued that the methodology and components have changed over the course of years but really the only significant change to a traditional system is you can't just put one anywhere.

It's hard to imagine how generations ago it was thought to be OK to discharge into rivers and lakes without any long term consequence. Even worse when it was toxic by products of manufacturing.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 11:55 AM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I remember the old out houses where everything went into the ground and stayed there. And your water came from the lake.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:18 PM   #4
Taz

Default septic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
If you think about it septic systems are basically dumping affluent into the ground, the only "better" systems are the rather exotic ones that discharge only potable water and actually treats what goes in before it is expelled. Of course it can be argued that the methodology and components have changed over the course of years but really the only significant change to a traditional system is you can't just put one anywhere.

It's hard to imagine how generations ago it was thought to be OK to discharge into rivers and lakes without any long term consequence. Even worse when it was toxic by products of manufacturing.
I have septic at a property up north. It does not go into the ground. It goes to a tank and is pumped out.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:33 PM   #5
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
I have septic at a property up north. It does not go into the ground. It goes to a tank and is pumped out.
No leech field? Find that hard to believe..... but if it is a pure holding tank, that could not be installed today. Those are illegal.

Traditional systems even most enviro septic systems have a tank that does get pumped out, this captures the solids that do eventually to some degree break down if you have sufficient levels of bacteria in the tank - but the affluent (fluids) goes into the field and leech into the ground. This is by design.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 04:44 PM   #6
Water Camper

Default Sewage treatment cooperative

Good article in today's Laconia Daily Sun, page 4.

Hope this helps,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 06:13 PM   #7
fatlazyless

As far as I know, Christmas Island also known as Plummers Island, on Paugus Bay in Laconia, is the only Lake Winnipesaukee island with sewer pipe service that connects it to the waste treatment plant in Franklin.

Without sewer pipe service, Christmas or Plummers could not have so many recently constructed townhouse properties on that densely populated, relatively small lot of island land.

Ditto that for the huge, new Bluegill Lodge and nearby condo buildings at the Meredith Bay development, that is actually located totally in Laconia despite its' name, just north of Weirs Beach on Scenic Rd, overlooking the lake.

Community sewerage service is good for a cleaner lake, but it has also facilitated that Laconia green "yes" light to be shining on these large, intense use, waterfront multi-home properties that grow more moorings and more boats.

918 Weirs Blvd is a 75-yard long x 15-yd wide, City of Laconia land parcel located on Paugus Bay just south of Lilioulokalani's ice cream, and is now a city lot of vacant open space situated between the two septic pumping sheds where the information booth used to be. The old, vintage info cabin, run by the Lakes Region Assoc for decades was removed by the city dpw earlier this month. So, here's suggesting that it be put to a public water access use for hand carry kayaks and sups, and not be sold and developed with private, big money, multi-story vacation condos.

In Meredith, the town sewer line goes from the Meredith roundabout vicinity, to the big intersection and to Main St, and down to the bottom of Pleasant St ..... and, that's it ..... and that's a good thing. Good for Meredith that it recently did a selective tree cut on the new Page Pond Town Forest (and huge open field) on Barnard Ridge Rd otherwise it could have been developed with many homes with town water/sewerage. One hundred years ago, that huge hillside field must have been home to the cows ...... mooooo! ....... or the sheep ........ baaaaa! So, a big 10-4 good buddy going out to the Meredith conservation people ....... hurrahhh! ....... for making that beautiful, new town forest field and conservation land forever escape the "progress" that can come, down the line with a town sewer line.

Meredith's Page Pond Town Forest, (new sign and parking area down the bottom of Barnard Ridge Rd) ..... 885(?) conservation acres of field, forest and pond .... helping to protect the big lake, water quality ......http://www.wondermyway.com/2019/09/0...nd-and-forest/ ..... (Sept 1, 2019 ... 21-color photos) .... up slope from the Bear Island area in Lake Winnipesaukee .... a large natural woods, field and pond buffer area ..... a big water filter to the big lake! ..... plus land not developed with new roads and new homes.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 10-31-2019 at 09:32 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-31-2019)
Old 10-29-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I remember the old out houses where everything went into the ground and stayed there. And your water came from the lake.
The bigger question is do you remember digging the "honey" up, to make room for the next years deposits ? LOL
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:35 AM   #9
Not to Worry

Default Fll

Is there a way to block his posts? I usually notice that they are from him and skip over but there must be a way to avoid wasting those few seconds on inane posts.
Not to Worry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Not to Worry For This Useful Post:
Wifi-1 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 07:53 AM   #10
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
Is there a way to block his posts? I usually notice that they are from him and skip over but there must be a way to avoid wasting those few seconds on inane posts.
Yes there is. Send the webmaster a message and he will tell you how to block someone

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:57 AM   #11
Onshore

Quote:
The WRBP built a system that collected affluent (emphasis added) and using pumping stations carried it to a new wastewater treatment plant in Franklin. Maybe because of the WRBP water quality is better now than in the old days. Although, the knee jerk reaction is water quality is so much worse now. Maybe not. Also, septic systems are probably much better now.
"Effluent"
Onshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 08:01 AM   #12
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
As far as I know, Christmas Island also known as Plummers Island, on Paugus Bay in Laconia, is the only Lake Winnipesaukee island with sewer pipe service that connects it to the waste treatment plant in Franklin.

Without sewer pipe service, Christmas or Plummers could not have so many recently constructed townhouse properties on that densely populated, relatively small lot of island land.

Ditto that for the huge Bluegill Lodge and nearby condo buildings at the Meredith Bay development just north of Weirs Beach on Scenic Rd, overlooking the lake.

Community sewerage service is good for a cleaner lake, but it has also facilitated that Laconia green "yes" light to be shining on these large, intense use, waterfront multi-home properties.

918 Weirs Blvd, a 75-yard long, City of Laconia land parcel located on Paugus Bay just south of Lilioulokalani's ice cream, now has a lot of vacant open space between the two septic pumping sheds where the information booth used to be. So, here's suggesting that it be put to a public water access use for hand carry kayaks and sups, and not be sold and developed with private, big money, multi-story vacation condos.

In Meredith, the town sewer line goes from the Meredith roundabout vicinity, to the big intersection and to Main St, and down to the bottom of Pleasant St ..... and, that's it ..... and that's a good thing. Good for Meredith that it recently created the new town forest humongous field area on Barnard Ridge Rd otherwise it could have been developed with many homes and town water/sewerage. So, a big 10-4 good buddy going out to the Meredith conservation people for making that beautiful, new town forest field and conservation land forever escape the "progress" that can come with a town sewer line.
you know for once he might have an idea but I would even suggest a public boat launch, has parking and is off the main road that will not cause problems.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:04 AM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Edit ignore list

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Yes there is. Send the webmaster a message and he will tell you how to block someone

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
To "block" someone, click on User CP link, scroll down to Edit Ignore List, click and then enter the name of the user from whom you no longer want to see their posts.

Dave
Old 10-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #14
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by shore things View Post
"Effluent"
Some would say they are one in the same.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:15 AM   #15
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not to Worry View Post
Is there a way to block his posts?
User CP|Settings & Options|Edit Ignore List
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 09:07 AM   #16
Way Out There 2

Default Ignore list

Do this. I did and should have done it years ago.
Way Out There 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Way Out There 2 For This Useful Post:
ApS (10-31-2019), Wifi-1 (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 01:48 PM   #17
Biggd

Has anyone ever noticed how may "thanks" these forums posters get?
Most posters run between 20 and 40% of their total posts. FLL is less than 3%.
That tells me that most of what he injects on here is NOT very helpful at all.
I haven't blocked him but I usually just skip over his useless rambling.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
fatlazyless (10-31-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 01:54 PM   #18
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Has anyone ever noticed how may "thanks" these forums posters get?
Most posters run between 20 and 40% of their total posts. FLL is less than 3%.
That tells me that most of what he injects on here is NOT very helpful at all.
I haven't blocked him but I usually just skip over his useless rambling.
Please explain how you're calculating your data--I'm interested in my statistical value.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:12 PM   #19
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

673/2506=27%.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-30-2019)
Old 10-30-2019, 02:15 PM   #20
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Please explain how you're calculating your data--I'm interested in my statistical value.

673 divided by 2506 = 27%
Old 10-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #21
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
673/2506=27%.
Sad face.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #22
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
The bigger question is do you remember digging the "honey" up, to make room for the next years deposits ? LOL
Why did you dig it up..... A little gasoline, and burn it up... that is what friends did that had a place on conway lake, that had a outhouse, through the 80s and 90s..... Yes there was a certain aroma to it all and the women folk generally didn't want to be around that weekend, but it worked...
Old 10-30-2019, 03:32 PM   #23
Wifi-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Why did you dig it up..... A little gasoline, and burn it up... that is what friends did that had a place on conway lake, that had a outhouse, through the 80s and 90s..... Yes there was a certain aroma to it all and the women folk generally didn't want to be around that weekend, but it worked...
Actually, I just covered it over, and moved the OH
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:24 PM   #24
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
That's exactly what we used to do in the service when we were training out in the field. The guys that got lucky enough to get that duty, were usually in some sort of trouble...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:45 PM   #25
upthesaukee

Default Barrels on a trailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
That's exactly what we used to do in the service when we were training out in the field. The guys that got lucky enough to get that duty, were usually in some sort of trouble...
I have a friend who was a Marine in Vietnam. He has an interesting trilogy of pictures.

A trailer with either 2 or 3 barrels on the trailer with the diesel/ gas/effluent () smoke billowing up; one from WWII south Pacific (his dad), one from Vietnam (him), and one from Afghanistan (his son).

He said it was proof positive that in the military, some $#!+ never changes.

Dave

Last edited by upthesaukee; 10-31-2019 at 06:49 AM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to upthesaukee For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (10-31-2019), rander7823 (11-01-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:09 AM   #26
ApS

Red face Urine Trouble...

Quote:
Some islands still have outhouses. No biggy.

My understanding is that the outhouses are slid over to a different location, and the former hole was filled in.

Because of the relatively small amount of EFFLUENT, they were probably not a problem for lake water quality. However, add gray water (shower, washer, and dishwasher water) to a septic system and LEACH field, and contamination potential to lakewater is greatly increased.
Old 10-31-2019, 06:13 PM   #27
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I have a friend who was a Marine in Vietnam. He has an interesting trilogy of pictures.

A trailer with either 2 or 3 barrels on the trailer with the diesel/ gas/effluent () smoke billowing up; one from WWII south Pacific (his dad), one from Vietnam (him), and one from Afghanistan (his son).

He said it was proof positive that in the military, some $#!+ never changes.

Dave
I think you meant your friend IS a Marine who served in Vietnam, and always will be!! I can really appreciate that story. That is really cool. As a Marine myself, I know first hand that the Marine Corps is ALWAYS the last of the services to get the latest, greatest equipment, so I can see how they are still burning the shi***** to this day!!! Although, when something works as it should, why change it...??? Kinda like, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old 10-31-2019, 09:44 PM   #28
upthesaukee

Default You misread it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
I think you meant your friend IS a Marine who served in Vietnam, and always will be!! I can really appreciate that story. That is really cool. As a Marine myself, I know first hand that the Marine Corps is ALWAYS the last of the services to get the latest, greatest equipment, so I can see how they are still burning the shi***** to this day!!! Although, when something works as it should, why change it...??? Kinda like, if it aint broke, don't fix it.
I'm the son of a Marine, once a Marine, always a Marine.

My friend is not a Marine in Vietnam, he was a Marine in Vietnam (stationed in Vietnam, and other locations).

I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and as we parted company, I wished him a "happy birthday" a few weeks early. Semper Fi to him, and to you Cal Coon. 👍

Dave
Cal Coon (11-01-2019)
Old 11-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #29
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
I'm the son of a Marine, once a Marine, always a Marine.

My friend is not a Marine in Vietnam, he was a Marine in Vietnam (stationed in Vietnam, and other locations).

I saw him a couple of weeks ago, and as we parted company, I wished him a "happy birthday" a few weeks early. Semper Fi to him, and to you Cal Coon. ��

Dave
(For anyone who cares...), USMC was founded (in a bar of all places!!! Go figure...), on November 10, 1775 - Tun Tavern, Philadelphia, PA. / First to fight. The President's own. OOOH RAH!!!!! Not going off topic here... Kind of a coincidence that this would come up under the "water quality" thread, since I keep getting notices from Uncle Sam about the poor water quality at Camp Lejeune from 1953 to 1987. They keep telling me that the US Govt will be kind enough to cover any costs of medical illnesses related to the poor water quality at Camp Lejeune for all those Marines that were stationed there between 53 to 87. I was there in 85 and 86. Good health so far... Nice to know that the Govt will be there to take care of me if, and when, I need them... (cough, cough!!) Jet fuel, and chemicals from a dry cleaning company, and God knows what else, were leaking into the drinking water for all those years. All of a sudden, Winnipesaukee water quality doesn't seem that bad...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 11-01-2019 at 10:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (11-01-2019)