Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
GusMan

Default In stock propellers?

Hi All,

I'm looking for a new prop for my bassboat, I dinged mine when the wind blew me into a shoal while fishing.

I was hoping to pick one up tomorrow as I will be in the Lakes Region and would like to fish this weekend. My boat is a 1991 Nitro with an Evinrude Intruder outboard.

I'm looking for an aluminum prop to replace what I believe is a 21 pitch Propco 3 blade aluminum. Somonee recommended a Mercury Spitfire 4 blade, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Any dealers with lots off props in stock?

Thanks

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #2
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

When I owned a boat I always carried a Comprop (and a prop wrench) as a spare. It saved me (and someone I rescued) a few times over the years. One could get you on the water while you shop for a new aluminum prop or get it repaired. Amazon has them and you can get next day delivery with Prime:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=comprop&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:15 PM   #3
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I have found that a lot of marinas to stock "commonly used" props. You may find better luck hitting an Evinrude dealer they may have what you need. I believe Thurston's is the "local" dealer of them on Winni. Haggett's Marine in Concord NH is also an Evinrude dealer and arguably a more reputable outfit IMHO.

Far as the spitfire prop I just put one on my new boat (Merc 60HP Command Thrust), I had to jump the pitch to get the WOT RPMs down. Works great and interestingly enough did not see a huge hit in the hole shot which I attribute to the fact the old prop was three blades versus the 4 on the spitfire.

The hub assembly on those spitfires is separate from the prop itself so you have to make sure you get the correct assembly for the outboard application. If you order one they sell them either with or without a hub assembly. The hub assembly can also be purchased separately.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:32 PM   #4
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
I believe Thurston's is the "local" dealer of them on Winni. Haggett's Marine in Concord NH is also an Evinrude dealer and arguably a more reputable outfit IMHO.
Curious why you would say this?...did you have a bad encounter at Thurston's?

I can tell you my experience with their service department has been nothing but stellar and professional. They have helped me out immensely over the years when no one else could / would! I would recommend Thurston's to anyone in a heartbeat!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 06-11-2019 at 02:54 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
MRD (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
SAB1

Cost wise you will save $ buying on line. Winni loves eating props and the marinas know it!
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Curious why you would say this?...did you have a bad encounter at Thurston's?

I can tell you my experience with them has been nothing but stellar and professional. They have helped me out immensely over the years when no one else could / would! I would recommend Thurston's to anyone in a heartbeat!

Dan
I won't get into specifics as I don't think it appropriate on a public forum, however they were one of oh 2 dozen dealers I visited or spoke to on the phone as I was in the process of deciding what and where I was going to purchase a new fishing boat this past fall. The conversation with them was best described as non-productive and of all the dealers I spoke to they were by far the worst. I won't waste my time there again. Hey it is what it is.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #7
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
I won't get into specifics as I don't think it appropriate on a public forum, however they were one of oh 2 dozen dealers I visited or spoke to on the phone as I was in the process of deciding what and where I was going to purchase a new fishing boat this past fall. The conversation with them was best described as non-productive and of all the dealers I spoke to they were by far the worst. I won't waste my time there again. Hey it is what it is.
That's unfortunate Maxum. I have never dealt with their sales department only their service department many times over the years who as I have said has been great on numerous occasions!

I had the same issue as you when I was searching for my wife's boat a couple years ago. A very well known and respected marina in the northern section of the lake made us feel like we were bothering them. Guess they didn't realize we were ready to buy that day and had cash with us! Made the sale somewhere else that afternoon and couldn't be happier!

Dan
Old 06-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

If you can't find the new prop that you want for tomorrow, Jeff Fay normally has a supply of reconditioned used props. If he has one to get you through 'till you get the new one that you want then you will also have an emergency spare prop. Also Dave's motorboat shop is a place to check.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 03:27 PM   #9
MAXUM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
That's unfortunate Maxum. I have never dealt with their sales department only their service department many times over the years who as I have said has been great on numerous occasions!

I had the same issue as you when I was searching for my wife's boat a couple years ago. A very well known and respected marina in the northern section of the lake made us feel like we were bothering them. Guess they didn't realize we were ready to buy that day and had cash with us! Made the sale somewhere else that afternoon and couldn't be happier!

Dan
It really is.

As a general observation I've dealt with a couple dealers for parts or just asking questions regarding a problem I was having and have never been disappointed.

Making a large purchase it a big decision and it makes all the difference to have a sales person to interface with that gets it. Too many don't!
Old 06-12-2019, 05:59 AM   #10
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Irwin Marine

has a fairly large stock of aluminum and SS props. They aren't priced too bad but you do pay for the convenience!

Almost all marinas have used and consigned props. Call around! You may be able to fond a used one at reasonable price!
Old 06-12-2019, 04:26 PM   #11
Cal Coon

I realize it may be to late for this weekend, but I would consider a 4 blade aluminum prop. I bought a Turning Point Hustler off of Amazon for like 100.00, and I love it. I now keep the 3 blade SS prop for a back up. The 4 blade gets up on plane faster, more economical on fuel, cheaper to replace, and I have not lost any top end. The hub is sold separately, and is another 35, 40 bucks. Well worth it to me. It's not a question of IF you hit something, it's when...
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
Top-Water

While on the subject of propellers, where is the best place to send them to for minor repairs these days.

Would like to get something touched up that is not club-ed over and bent. Just some light clean up on the edges, no mods to the pitch or anything like that.

Would probably want to do it during off season. Any suggestions
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 05:19 PM   #13
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
While on the subject of propellers, where is the best place to send them to for minor repairs these days.

Would like to get something touched up that is not club-ed over and bent. Just some light clean up on the edges, no mods to the pitch or anything like that.

Would probably want to do it during off season. Any suggestions
You can drop it off at just about any marina. Prop repair places drop off and pick up weekly, or bi-weekly (from most marina's) depending on location, in the summer months. Probably pick up/drop off monthly in the off season. Just talk to your local marina.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 06-12-2019 at 07:01 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:46 PM   #14
Downeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusMan View Post
Hi All,

I'm looking for a new prop for my bassboat, I dinged mine when the wind blew me into a shoal while fishing.

I was hoping to pick one up tomorrow as I will be in the Lakes Region and would like to fish this weekend. My boat is a 1991 Nitro with an Evinrude Intruder outboard.

I'm looking for an aluminum prop to replace what I believe is a 21 pitch Propco 3 blade aluminum. Somonee recommended a Mercury Spitfire 4 blade, but I'm open to other suggestions.

Any dealers with lots off props in stock?

Thanks

Gusman

Time to go on a field trip.. with Bob or Rick at over at Fays. Woot woot! Props props and more props 😂
Downeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:06 AM   #15
ApS

Thumbs up Here's One of the Two...

There are at least two other threads on the subject.

While wandering Wolfeboro town docks, a van went by with Maine plates. Emblazoned on the sides was the message, "Props fixed".

Related discussion:

https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums...ad.php?t=20714
Old 06-14-2019, 06:01 AM   #16
MAXUM

Only place I have heard over and over is H&H propeller in Salem MA as the place to get a prop fixed. Last I knew most marinas around the lake sent busted up props there to be fixed.

Here's a list of who deals with them... https://www.hhprop.com/locate-dealer/nh-prop-repair.php

I've seen the work they do and it is amazing.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (06-15-2019)
Old 06-14-2019, 06:47 AM   #17
Paugus Bay Resident

A few years ago I hit a semi submerged log and bent up one of my 18" 4 blade bronze props (not cheap). Irwin sent them both to HH and they can back perfect, no vibrations and a fraction of the price of new ones. They scanned and balanced them. A week or so of downtime, but worth it.
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paugus Bay Resident For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-14-2019), trfour (06-15-2019)
Old 06-15-2019, 06:50 AM   #18
Top-Water

Quote:
Only place I have heard over and over is H&H propeller in Salem MA as the place to get a prop fixed. Last I knew most marinas around the lake sent busted up props there to be fixed.

Here's a list of who deals with them... https://www.hhprop.com/locate-dealer/nh-prop-repair.php

I've seen the work they do and it is amazing.
Thank you that was the name of the place I was looking for. I just could not remember it at the time.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:29 AM   #19
Cobalt 25

If you are ever in the Plymouth, MA area, New England Propellers has done excellent work for me when those nasty rocks at Winni have jumped up from the bottom and damaged my props. The props look like new when they are done.
Cobalt 25 is offline   Reply With Quote