Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
Mr. V
Senior Member
 
Mr. V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: the left coast (Portland)and West Alton
Posts: 838
Thanks: 14
Thanked 95 Times in 68 Posts
Default Governors Island

I was wondering what percentage of the homes on the island are used year-round as a primary residence, and how many are secondary homes / vacation properties?
__________________
basking in the benign indifference of the universe
Mr. V is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 808
Thanks: 241
Thanked 293 Times in 140 Posts
Default Wondered the same...

I see a lot of very extravagant places with no lights on at night for long periods of time. I've often wondered how many "homes" do some of these people have?
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:53 PM   #3
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,565
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 199
Thanked 536 Times in 401 Posts
Default ..... about one out of five

.... looking at the lighted windows of about 25 Governor Island homes from my down and out Walmart side of the lake, a mile or two away, is about one out of five homes ..... they be some super-sized, mega mega million dollar designer homes ..... their wealthy owners never know the simple reward for doing their own snow with a 24" snowblower, snow shovel and a roof rake and then hittn' the outdoor hot tub with a beer ..... too bad ... boo-hoo!

Probably, they be in Palm Beach, Florida ...... a town with no McDonald's!

Believe Governor's Island has community water and private septic systems? Some of the stay-overs play tennis at www.gilfordhills.com. and hire someone to do their snow.

The new tax rule with the ten thousand dollar federal deduction limit has initiated a lot of homes going up for sale, but no on wants to admit it. A deduction problem ...... what deduction problem ..... ain't got no deduction problem here ...... what's you talk'n about!!!!!
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:07 PM   #4
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 814
Thanks: 173
Thanked 274 Times in 167 Posts
Default Governors Island

Interesting question, but the two halves are not mutually exclusive. Many people have a New Hampshire home as their primary residence, even though they do not spend that much time here. A person may have a home, utility bills, vehicle registrations, etc, etc, and still only be here a portion of the year, but, by making strategic visits and being seen by the people right people, it produces the appearance of them being here enough to claim primary residency.
camp guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:07 PM   #5
phoenix
Senior Member
 
phoenix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: phoenix and moultonboro
Posts: 1,125
Thanks: 14
Thanked 144 Times in 104 Posts
Default

if one splits time between two states they will often establish residence where they pay less taxes. Not property taxes of course
__________________
it's tough to make predictions specially about the future
phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2019, 04:31 PM   #6
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,836
Thanks: 548
Thanked 588 Times in 359 Posts
Default Taxes again.

If you spend a few months in FL, you're already paying sales and property tax there. If you declare FL to be your residence you no longer have to pay the Interest and Dividends tax. If the current legislature succeeds in adding capital gains to the I & D tax, more people will declare FL as their residence.

I have no idea, short of manually cross checking voter registrations how you could determine which homes are "legally" full time residences.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 05:07 AM   #7
SAMIAM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 2,444
Thanks: 143
Thanked 1,000 Times in 376 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.... looking at the lighted windows of about 25 Governor Island homes from my down and out Walmart side of the lake, a mile or two away, is about one out of five homes ..... they be some super-sized, mega mega million dollar designer homes ..... their wealthy owners never know the simple reward for doing their own snow with a 24" snowblower, snow shovel and a roof rake and then hittn' the outdoor hot tub with a beer ..... too bad ... boo-hoo!

Probably, they be in Palm Beach, Florida ...... a town with no McDonald's!

Believe Governor's Island has community water and private septic systems? Some of the stay-overs play tennis at www.gilfordhills.com. and hire someone to do their snow.

The new tax rule with the ten thousand dollar federal deduction limit has initiated a lot of homes going up for sale, but no on wants to admit it. A deduction problem ...... what deduction problem ..... ain't got no deduction problem here ...... what's you talk'n about!!!!!
Every time I read one of your posts and see how hard you have it I'm tempted to start a GoFundme page for you. We can see it is a struggle to get by on the "poor" side of the lake but somehow you keep your head high and go on.
No one minds helping out someone who is truly needy : )
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #8
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 370
Thanks: 5
Thanked 109 Times in 54 Posts
Default state tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
Interesting question, but the two halves are not mutually exclusive. Many people have a New Hampshire home as their primary residence, even though they do not spend that much time here. A person may have a home, utility bills, vehicle registrations, etc, etc, and still only be here a portion of the year, but, by making strategic visits and being seen by the people right people, it produces the appearance of them being here enough to claim primary residency.

If you come from a high tax state like NY, you MUST spend 6mos and a day in another state to declare it your domicile and believe me, NY has tax auditors galore to prove you didn't.

We lived in NY for over 20 years while owning a place on Long Island at South Point. I SO wanted to declare NH my domicile! MY accountant said NO WAY an it wasn't until 2014 that we actually moved.

Subsequently, we have moved to FL which is becoming more tax friendly than NH.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:42 AM   #9
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,565
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 199
Thanked 536 Times in 401 Posts
Default

While there are five states with no sales tax; Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon ..... there's only one state with both no sales and no income tax ...... the NH Advantage! ...... so, go put that tax factoid into your pipe and smoke it? Does NH have a property tax?

And in Alaska, individual cities have the option to impose a 2% sales tax, like Wasilla and Sarah Palin with its Walmart and Home Depot and building a 7-mil swim pool, ice rink, and gym, or something. (not checked for accuracy?)

Getting back to Governor's Island ...... a lot of those mega million dollar homes on the north or outer side, that face me, seem to have the incurable defect of both facing north and being situated down the bottom of their shoreline slope. They is at the bottom of the hillside, which translates to being in the shade from about 4-pm on, in the summer, and maybe from 3:00 on. They can keep it.

Up till the recently imposed 10-thousand dollar limit on deducting property and state income tax, paying big property taxes was a great super-duper deal for rich people because it entirely got deducted off their federal income taxes, but not any more, as of April 15, 2019. Of course, you needed or need to be paying federal income tax in order to be making a deduction. If you pay little or no income tax, and still have the property tax, like for older folks who are retired ..... that's very too danged bad for you.

There's probably older folks who use their social security payment to help pay their NH property tax which would not be the case with a NH sales or income tax? Of course, one can always get a paying job, a job, a job, a job ...... a what ...... yes, the problem with getting a job is that you actually have to show up on time, and then do something called work? ...
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #10
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 370
Thanks: 5
Thanked 109 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
While there are five states with no sales tax; Alaska, Delaware, Montana, New Hampshire, Oregon ..... there's only one state with both no sales and no income tax ...... the NH Advantage! ...... so, go put that tax factoid into your pipe and smoke it?

And in Alaska, individual cities have the option to impose a 2% sales tax, like Wasilla and Sarah Palin with its Walmart and Home Depot and built a 10-mil swim pool, ice rink, and gym, or something. (not checked for accuracy?)

Getting back to Governor's island ...... a lot of those mega million dollar homes on the north or outer side, that face me, seem to have the incurable defect of both facing north and being situated down the bottom of their shoreline slope. They is at the bottom of the hillside, which translates to being in the shade from about 4-pm on, in the summer, and maybe from 3:30 on. They can keep it.
NH has a 5% dividend tax and when lived here that whacked me much more so than Florida's 6% sales tax. Moreover, NH has a 9% tax on room and dining out plus a crazy expensive registration tax for cars. As I understand it NH is also raising revenue in other "creative" ways.

Correct me where I'm wrong.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:24 AM   #11
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,294
Thanks: 510
Thanked 607 Times in 404 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
If you come from a high tax state like NY, you MUST spend 6mos and a day in another state to declare it your domicile and believe me, NY has tax auditors galore to prove you didn't.



We lived in NY for over 20 years while owning a place on Long Island at South Point. I SO wanted to declare NH my domicile! MY accountant said NO WAY an it wasn't until 2014 that we actually moved.



Subsequently, we have moved to FL which is becoming more tax friendly than NH.


You are correct and NY goes through all your records with a fine tooth comb. Including doctor and dentist visits, cell phone bill, auto records, veterinary bills or pets, meals and food purchases. They have been very successful collecting from those that do not actually spend the 6 months and a day. A large focus are those who change residency to Florida


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:31 AM   #12
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,715
Thanks: 469
Thanked 836 Times in 584 Posts
Default

Wow, NY is the gestapo!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
gravy boat (05-25-2019)
Old 05-25-2019, 07:46 AM   #13
rsmlp
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 370
Thanks: 5
Thanked 109 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Wow, NY is the gestapo!!

All high tax states are the same. The SALT limitation on tax deduction has made them more so. And people are moving out in droves. Of course, this doesn't stop pols from continuing their attempts to tax the wealthy. NJ is trying to pass a "millionaires" tax will only drive more higher end earners out.

The ramifications are that RE in these high end places are taking it on the nose. When we sold our house in Albany NY the local property tax had gone from $6K when we bought in 1989 to just under $25K. We sold for LESS than we bought it for-25 years later!
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 07:47 AM   #14
ghfromaltonbay
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Clifton, NJ, Alton Bay
Posts: 757
Thanks: 197
Thanked 176 Times in 101 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post

There's probably older folks who use their social security payment to help pay their NH property tax which would not be the case with a NH sales or income tax? :
Don't believe anyone who tells you this! In NJ we have the highest property taxes in the USA. We have a high, progressive income tax, and in the early 70's we got a 3% sales tax. The sales tax is now about 7%. Gambling in Atlantic City and a state lottery were also supposed to help lower property taxes. Guess what? BS! We still have the highest property taxes along with all these other taxes. The state just invents more ways to spend. Recently they voted to offer tuition aid to illegal aliens, free school breakfasts and lunches based on income, and all day kindergarten in all school districts. Most police chiefs make as much or more than the governor. Tax and spend! Meanwhile, our roads are rated 5th worse in the nation. Where had the money gone. Please don't believe a new tax will relieve other taxes!!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:18 AM   #15
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 885
Thanks: 314
Thanked 495 Times in 190 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
Don't believe anyone who tells you this! In NJ we have the highest property taxes in the USA. We have a high, progressive income tax, and in the early 70's we got a 3% sales tax. The sales tax is now about 7%. Gambling in Atlantic City and a state lottery were also supposed to help lower property taxes. Guess what? BS! We still have the highest property taxes along with all these other taxes. The state just invents more ways to spend. Recently they voted to offer tuition aid to illegal aliens, free school breakfasts and lunches based on income, and all day kindergarten in all school districts. Most police chiefs make as much or more than the governor. Tax and spend! Meanwhile, our roads are rated 5th worse in the nation. Where had the money gone. Please don't believe a new tax will relieve other taxes!!
See that FLL!! New Jersey is your Nirvana! Every kind of tax you want and can imagine! When you’re packed and ready to go, give me a call and I will personally fly you “home” on my nickel! Just think...another freebie! How can you say no???
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:52 AM   #16
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,565
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 199
Thanked 536 Times in 401 Posts
Default

.....thanks but no tanks ..... as the one and only state with both no sales and no income tax ..... could be maybe a big reason why so many here in NH are driv'n all these very expensive cars ..... and, you are what you drive ..... not too many Jaguars here!
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #17
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,169
Thanks: 24
Thanked 354 Times in 220 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
See that FLL!! New Jersey is your Nirvana! Every kind of tax you want and can imagine! When you’re packed and ready to go, give me a call and I will personally fly you “home” on my nickel! Just think...another freebie! How can you say no???
Beware...they just might institute a “float” tax!

Last edited by 8gv; 05-25-2019 at 12:17 PM.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:32 AM   #18
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 149
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
Default

the problem with getting a job is that you actually have to show up on time, and then do something called work?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgecgpCfAYo
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:27 AM   #19
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 1,836
Thanks: 548
Thanked 588 Times in 359 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
the problem with getting a job is that you actually have to show up on time, and then do something called work?
Not anymore. Being late, etc doesn't get you fired anymore because there are no replacements waiting in line for that job.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 02:23 PM   #20
gravy boat
Senior Member
 
gravy boat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Gilford yr round, W. Alton and Bears' Den for summers
Posts: 431
Thanks: 275
Thanked 101 Times in 49 Posts
Default Taxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghfromaltonbay View Post
Don't believe anyone who tells you this! In NJ we have the highest property taxes in the USA. We have a high, progressive income tax, and in the early 70's we got a 3% sales tax. The sales tax is now about 7%. Gambling in Atlantic City and a state lottery were also supposed to help lower property taxes. Guess what? BS! We still have the highest property taxes along with all these other taxes. The state just invents more ways to spend. Recently they voted to offer tuition aid to illegal aliens, free school breakfasts and lunches based on income, and all day kindergarten in all school districts. Most police chiefs make as much or more than the governor. Tax and spend! Meanwhile, our roads are rated 5th worse in the nation. Where had the money gone. Please don't believe a new tax will relieve other taxes!!
Left Jersey in 1989 and never looked back.
gravy boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 04:40 PM   #21
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,715
Thanks: 469
Thanked 836 Times in 584 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
All high tax states are the same. The SALT limitation on tax deduction has made them more so. And people are moving out in droves. Of course, this doesn't stop pols from continuing their attempts to tax the wealthy. NJ is trying to pass a "millionaires" tax will only drive more higher end earners out.

The ramifications are that RE in these high end places are taking it on the nose. When we sold our house in Albany NY the local property tax had gone from $6K when we bought in 1989 to just under $25K. We sold for LESS than we bought it for-25 years later!
I know that. I just can't believe they actually have a "police force" to check people out and see if they really live in another state. Wow!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 06:13 PM   #22
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 577
Thanks: 18
Thanked 163 Times in 103 Posts
Default

It’s all about the Benjamin’s!!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 12:23 PM   #23
ushaggerb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 96
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 49
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Not anymore. Being late, etc doesn't get you fired anymore because there are no replacements waiting in line for that job.
Must be different by industry and level. You cannot show up late in my line. I think the thing nowadays that builds off your theme is that there's little loyalty left. I hit the job market recently. The main critique on my resume: I had stayed in place too long in my jobs. I was told I need to "bounce" (out of a job) more often.
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #24
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 577
Thanks: 18
Thanked 163 Times in 103 Posts
Default

What BS. That is a company I’d avoid.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:33 PM   #25
ushaggerb
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 96
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 49
Thanked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
What BS. That is a company I’d avoid.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Type this into Google:"don't stay in a job too long". The infection is spreading....
ushaggerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #26
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 577
Thanks: 18
Thanked 163 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Ok, I think they are staying with a company for a long time you should be “progressing” (I.e., different positions, moving up, more responsibility) not staying in the same position for a long period of time. I don’t feel they are talking about just staying with the same company for a long time as being a problem. When I was hiring I wanted to see progression not stagnation.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 09:07 PM   #27
JC19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 64
Thanks: 7
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I was wondering what percentage of the homes on the island are used year-round as a primary residence, and how many are secondary homes/vacation properties?
Was told today by people who went on the Mount Washington Brunch Cruise that they announced 8 families live on the island year round. Not sure if it's true or not, or what exactly their source of data is, but that's what they are communicating to passengers on the tour.
JC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 04:54 AM   #28
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,715
Thanks: 469
Thanked 836 Times in 584 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
Was told today by people who went on the Mount Washington Brunch Cruise that they announced 8 families live on the island year round. Not sure if it's true or not, or what exactly their source of data is, but that's what they are communicating to passengers on the tour.
Island or islands? I assume plural but just wondering.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:22 AM   #29
JC19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 64
Thanks: 7
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Island or islands? I assume plural but just wondering.
Sorry, meant Governors Island. Direct reply to the original question on post.
JC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 11:41 AM   #30
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,715
Thanks: 469
Thanked 836 Times in 584 Posts
Default

Oh sorry. My fault. GI WAS the topic of discussion!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 12:34 PM   #31
SIKSUKR
Senior Member
 
SIKSUKR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 5,074
Thanks: 215
Thanked 899 Times in 508 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC19 View Post
Was told today by people who went on the Mount Washington Brunch Cruise that they announced 8 families live on the island year round. Not sure if it's true or not, or what exactly their source of data is, but that's what they are communicating to passengers on the tour.
Wow thats all?I actually know 4 of them.
__________________
SIKSUKR
SIKSUKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:49 PM   #32
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,195
Thanks: 197
Thanked 1,409 Times in 571 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
.....thanks but no tanks ..... as the one and only state with both no sales and no income tax ..... could be maybe a big reason why so many here in NH are driv'n all these very expensive cars ..... and, you are what you drive ..... not too many Jaguars here!
Yep because to you anything over $500 is expensive and anything over 1K is a luxury car.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (05-28-2019)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.31846 seconds