Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #1
snax
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 5
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Jet ski lifts/permits

New user here.
I've been lurking for years, finally joined.
Not an area resident, but family has owned on the lakes since 85. On the big lake since 95.

So these jet ski lifts...
Do these need permits? From what I read on the state websites, yes.

Can I look up if there are permits? I don't think they (neighbors) have any.

I'm not one to look to restrict access to anybody, the lake is there for everybody, but I have neighbors that are taking some liberties, and it's getting pretty ridiculous. They have them stacked two deep. They have the steel cradles up on the shoreline/in water, in addition to the lifts in the water. They will soon go 3 deep.They are right up to the property line. Its becoming a safety issue with all the congestion, don't even get me started on when they pull out/pull in at full throttle/high speed.

Every summer we've seen people put illegal moorings as well.
I'd like to start a conversation with them, but I want to make sure that I'm fully informed on my arguments.
snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #2
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,293
Thanks: 904
Thanked 979 Times in 581 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snax View Post
New user here.
I've been lurking for years, finally joined.
Not an area resident, but family has owned on the lakes since 85. On the big lake since 95.

So these jet ski lifts...
Do these need permits? From what I read on the state websites, yes.

Can I look up if there are permits? I don't think they (neighbors) have any.

I'm not one to look to restrict access to anybody, the lake is there for everybody, but I have neighbors that are taking some liberties, and it's getting pretty ridiculous. They have them stacked two deep. They have the steel cradles up on the shoreline/in water, in addition to the lifts in the water. They will soon go 3 deep.They are right up to the property line. Its becoming a safety issue with all the congestion, don't even get me started on when they pull out/pull in at full throttle/high speed.

Every summer we've seen people put illegal moorings as well.
I'd like to start a conversation with them, but I want to make sure that I'm fully informed on my arguments.
Welcome to the forum, friend!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #3
camp guy
Senior Member
 
camp guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: formerly Winter Harbor, still Wolfeboro
Posts: 855
Thanks: 195
Thanked 294 Times in 181 Posts
Default JetSki lifts

I think you will have to ask Marine Patrol these questions in order to get an accurate answer to your questions. Be prepared, because in a situation like you describe it probably isn't possible to "dip your toe", you will probably have to get all wet, and this could end up making an unpleasant situation between you and your neighbor. I don't like the idea of the tail wagging the dog, but your only alternative is to ask questions of the Marine Patrol and this may lead to exposing his bad habits.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #4
snax
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 5
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by camp guy View Post
I think you will have to ask Marine Patrol these questions in order to get an accurate answer to your questions. Be prepared, because in a situation like you describe it probably isn't possible to "dip your toe", you will probably have to get all wet, and this could end up making an unpleasant situation between you and your neighbor. I don't like the idea of the tail wagging the dog, but your only alternative is to ask questions of the Marine Patrol and this may lead to exposing his bad habits.
Went over to Glendale already, they told me to go to DES.
Tough to go into alot of detail here because it's public forum, don't want to out them or myself (which would out them)
We've had the same neighbors for 25 years, we've blocked them on a few things in the past. It's been ok now for the last 15 or so, except for the last few.

If they have everything required, fine, but at least on that end I can maybe raise some concerns and maybe we can have a conversation work something out. If they need permits, and there is way for me to find out if they have them, and they don't, that conversation can be quite a bit different.

I don't want to get outside involvement, I'd like to avoid that. Getting the government's "help" rarely goes the way you expect (the last 3 months have proven that, i think). Everything on my end is on the level, but If I need to go get a permit or anything on the water side or on land they will no doubt challenge me if I cause issues for them on this.
snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #5
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 973
Thanks: 426
Thanked 678 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snax View Post
Went over to Glendale already, they told me to go to DES.
Tough to go into alot of detail here because it's public forum, don't want to out them or myself (which would out them)
We've had the same neighbors for 25 years, we've blocked them on a few things in the past. It's been ok now for the last 15 or so, except for the last few.

If they have everything required, fine, but at least on that end I can maybe raise some concerns and maybe we can have a conversation work something out. If they need permits, and there is way for me to find out if they have them, and they don't, that conversation can be quite a bit different.

I don't want to get outside involvement, I'd like to avoid that. Getting the government's "help" rarely goes the way you expect (the last 3 months have proven that, i think). Everything on my end is on the level, but If I need to go get a permit or anything on the water side or on land they will no doubt challenge me if I cause issues for them on this.
You can do a permit search here:

https://www4.des.state.nh.us/lrmonestop/LRMQuery.aspx
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
snax (06-03-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2020, 10:08 PM   #6
snax
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 5
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
I see no permits there.
Nothing, in fact, for anything I've seen them do over the last 20+ years.
snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:15 AM   #7
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 973
Thanks: 426
Thanked 678 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by snax View Post
I see no permits there.
Nothing, in fact, for anything I've seen them do over the last 20+ years.
You probably already know this, but the permit search must be done for the legal title holder to the property. For instance, if the property is owned by a trust or LLC that doesn’t use your neighbor’s last name, then permits won’t show up in a search using their last name. Or....maybe they never applied for any permits....

Good luck
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:20 AM   #8
winni83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Moultonborough, NH
Posts: 246
Thanks: 15
Thanked 106 Times in 67 Posts
Default

You can also search by the Tax Map and Lot Number within any particular town, to avoid issues with the property being in a trust, etc.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #9
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 973
Thanks: 426
Thanked 678 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by winni83 View Post
You can also search by the Tax Map and Lot Number within any particular town, to avoid issues with the property being in a trust, etc.
Yes, good point.
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #10
snax
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 5
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I looked at the road only, map/lot, name, town and all combos. Nothing. One thing from the mid-90's
snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 579
Thanks: 100
Thanked 196 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Is it not as single as one lift is counted as a boat slip, I believe. 150’ gives you a max of three slips. 80’ gives you one dock two slips. Anymore then that is illegal


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:17 AM   #12
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,785
Thanks: 298
Thanked 1,246 Times in 481 Posts
Default

NH dock sizes allowed based on the water frontage of your property

Less than 75 feet A single 4-foot × 24-foot dock. You must have abutter’s consent if the dock will be placed closer than 20 feet to abutter’s property line.

75 feet to 149 feet 2 Slips
150 feet to 224 feet 3 Slips
225 feet to 299 feet 4 Slips
300 feet to 374 feet 5 slips

New docks or additions to existing docks must be located at least 20 feet from abutting property lines, including the imaginary extensions of those property lines over the water. Any boat secured to a dock may not extend beyond the extension of the abutter's property line.

If an applicant proposes to place docking structures within 20 feet of an abutter’s property line or the imaginary extension of the property line over the water, the applicant must provide a signed, notarized letter from the adjacent property owner granting permission for the new docking structure to be placed within 20 feet of his/her property line.

Of course docking structures that do not meet today's regulations but were in place before the current regulations are generally grandfathered as long as they were legal when they were built.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:45 AM   #13
Barney Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Thanks: 456
Thanked 242 Times in 152 Posts
Default That's a Stretch!

New docks can be 40 feet long. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:54 AM   #14
snax
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 5
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks. This is good info.
They have alot of frontage, but are WAY over what they should have.
I have what I think is a grandfathered dock, permanent with piers thats about 80 feet. (needs to be, water very shallow).
My neighbor on the other side of me has about 100' with fingers that he completely rebuilt two years ago, all his permits for that show up, we did get a notice for that one because of the angle of the property line and the length of his dock pushed the end into the imaginary line. They had no problems with the state getting approvals for any of it. All is good on that side of us though, never any problems.
The others are definitely in violation of the 20ft rule. They are less than a foot to the property line with the closest one, and the have multiple shore jacks/cradles within 20 feet. They also have a seasonal dock further down.
snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:34 AM   #15
Winilyme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ice in = CT / Ice out = Winnipesaukee
Posts: 107
Thanks: 26
Thanked 88 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
New docks can be 40 feet long. 🐻
Does the 40 foot rule hold regardless of frontage???
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #16
Barney Bear
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 858
Thanks: 456
Thanked 242 Times in 152 Posts
Default Check With The Boss

I believe so. DES can confirm this belief. 😇
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (06-05-2020)
Old 06-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #17
codeman671
Senior Member
 
codeman671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 2,623
Thanks: 121
Thanked 442 Times in 270 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
Does the 40 foot rule hold regardless of frontage???
Keep in mind the 40' of length is only for seasonal, not permanent docks. This is not valid for lots with less than 75' of frontage.

Also frontage for permitting purposes is calculated as an average between actual running feet and the measurement of pin to pin.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
Winilyme (06-05-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 10:02 AM   #18
milesbob
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
NH dock sizes allowed based on the water frontage of your property

Less than 75 feet A single 4-foot × 24-foot dock. You must have abutter’s consent if the dock will be placed closer than 20 feet to abutter’s property line.

75 feet to 149 feet 2 Slips
150 feet to 224 feet 3 Slips
225 feet to 299 feet 4 Slips
300 feet to 374 feet 5 slips

New docks or additions to existing docks must be located at least 20 feet from abutting property lines, including the imaginary extensions of those property lines over the water. Any boat secured to a dock may not extend beyond the extension of the abutter's property line.

If an applicant proposes to place docking structures within 20 feet of an abutter’s property line or the imaginary extension of the property line over the water, the applicant must provide a signed, notarized letter from the adjacent property owner granting permission for the new docking structure to be placed within 20 feet of his/her property line.

Of course docking structures that do not meet today's regulations but were in place before the current regulations are generally grandfathered as long as they were legal when they were built.
If you have less than 75 ft of frontage, can you get a dock longer than 24' if the water level is too shallow and below the 36" depth required. I know you could previously to the changes made in Dec/Jan. How about now.
My 24' dock is too shallow to store a 20' boat come Sept/Oct when the lake is drawn down.
milesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 12:36 PM   #19
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,026
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,780
Thanked 1,614 Times in 891 Posts
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesbob View Post
If you have less than 75 ft of frontage, can you get a dock longer than 24' if the water level is too shallow and below the 36" depth required. I know you could previously to the changes made in Dec/Jan. How about now.
My 24' dock is too shallow to store a 20' boat come Sept/Oct when the lake is drawn down.
My friend who bought property in Alton Bay had his waterfront surveyed. He had about 50 ft or so of shoreline. He owns a 26ft Cobalt, and at 24 ft, the water was only knee deep. With his survey, he got approval for a 60 ft seasonal dock (6 10 ft sections). He went before the Conservation Board in Alton, got their stamp of approval, then down to DES. They had one or two questions, and gave approval. Installing the dock, he has to maintain 25 ft from his extended property line on the east side if his property. Easy process.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:48 AM   #20
milesbob
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
My friend who bought property in Alton Bay had his waterfront surveyed. He had about 50 ft or so of shoreline. He owns a 26ft Cobalt, and at 24 ft, the water was only knee deep. With his survey, he got approval for a 60 ft seasonal dock (6 10 ft sections). He went before the Conservation Board in Alton, got their stamp of approval, then down to DES. They had one or two questions, and gave approval. Installing the dock, he has to maintain 25 ft from his extended property line on the east side if his property. Easy process.

Dave
Was this before or after January 2020, as the rules may have changed after he applied
milesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:54 AM   #21
upthesaukee
Senior Member
 
upthesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Alton Bay
Posts: 5,026
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 1,780
Thanked 1,614 Times in 891 Posts
Default 5 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by milesbob View Post
Was this before or after January 2020, as the rules may have changed after he applied
It was 5 years ago. After speaking with him the other night, his point to point frontage (boundary pin to pin) was mid to upper 60s, and the measurement at the water line was still a few feet short of the 75 ft mark. He applied for and got the exception as stated above.

Dave
__________________
I Live Here... I am always UPTHESAUKEE !!!!
upthesaukee is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.28800 seconds