Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2007, 12:36 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Default $5.40 gallon/propane

So, why am I paying to Amerigas-Laconia $5.3999/gal propane delivered and what do I have do to to switch to a less expensive propane supplier? I have a 100 gal tank and it gets filled about three times/year. And yes, bottled propane is an unregulated utility. And yes, the tank and the two regulators probably all belong to Amerigas.

Beyond the high price, propane is a totally terrific fuel: extremely clean and reliable and unlike oil, the appliances never need to be serviced......they always works! That's just terrific.....what's not terrific is $5.40/gal......ouch!

How do I switch companies or get Amerigas to lower the price? Hey, I needs the money so's I can pay my property taxes which is a story for another day!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
TomC

Default i'd call the competitors and ask them..

look (or ask) around your neighborhood and find out who is already delivering on your street. I doubt anyone will be too willing to make a special run in a neighborhood not already served. Then call those supplier(s) and see what their deal is. When I changed over from my former company to Maingas (formerly Johnson out of Ossippee) they would not hitch their tank up to "unknown" lines and ran a new pipe to my range (the only thing i used gas for at the time). So expect to have to replumb (or at least have it tested and brought up to code) if you switch. the payback of a few cents a gallon may not be worth doing this...
TomC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Pineedles

Default $5.40 per Gal!!!

I used to think that we had high energy bills here in CT but propane is going for $2.37 per gallon here. With electric rates at .16 per Kw, I made the switch to a propane fireplace this fall instead of the electric baseboard we used to use to heat. Maybe you can get a consortium of people together to accept a 1,000 gal delivery from my supplier here in CT. It's gotta be less than $5.40. You have my sympathy fll. Hope you can find an alternative.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Island Life

In my experience, propane companies charge different rates based upon your anticipated usage - the more you buy from them, the lower the rate. Several years ago, we heated a small outbuilding with a 100-gallon propane tank and had the tank filled a few times a year. Even back then, we paid upward of $5/gallon. Now we heat our entire house with propane and because we order over 2500 gallons of propane a year, we pay about $2.30/gallon.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
ike

FLL try this web site "www.otnrgy.org"
ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2007, 08:51 AM   #6
wMw

OMG! And I was thinking of calling them about having a gas fireplace put in my house. I'd better re-think that. Maybe an old-fashioned wood stove is the way to go for me. Hope you have some luck finding a more reasonable supplier.
wMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 11:10 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

FLL...Island is right,it all depends on usage and the size of your tanks.Several of us in business around Center Harbor including Senters Market buy together and only pay $1.51,but together,we have 18,000 gallons of storage and use 120,000 gallons a year.
Trucks,tanks,payroll,insurance etc. make it unprofitable to deliver small amounts of propane and that's why the average homeowner who may only use a few hundred gallons has no leverage.
No gas company wants to service and fill competitors tanks and don't want to install new tanks for small accounts.I don't see a way out unless you can get a big group of neighbors to form a group and do a contract with one supplier.It'd painful,for sure...good luck.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #8
Highlander

Default Propane price

We were shocked to get a bill from Ameri-gas this year for the same rate, we only use gas for the stove in the family room for supplemental heat. We called to inguire because the statement didn't even show the amount of gallons comsumed. They told us that they offer a prebuy price in July that this year was around $2.75 a gallon (nice of them to notify customers) but that you have to inquire and pay for the gas then. Any unused $$ will be credited to your account at the end of the year. They do base your rate on the amount of gas you use, they also told us they would recalculate our bill at a lower rate but we have yet to see it. Seems to be the norm for propane companies from most people I've spoken with.
Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:00 AM   #9
EllyPoinster

Default For Comparison . . .

I had an automatic delivery from EnergyNorth Propane at the end of November at $2.499 per gallon. I am not on any special purchase program, use maybe 150 - 200 gallons per year between 2 homes and, as far as I know, I'm their only customer in either neighborhood.
EllyPoinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:12 AM   #10
Windrider

I too was victimized by Amerigas. Was a customer for three years. Had to call to find out about a pre-buy. This year they would not let me pre-buy as I "didn't use enough".

After checking with friends, I called EnergyNorth. What a difference, very professional and the price is $2.99 as opposed to $5.39. The final insult from Amerigas is that the charged me $80 to pick up their tank which they left sitting on my lawn for three months, all the while charging me $20 a month for fees. I can honestly say I never had a single transaction with Amerigas that I felt I had been treated fairly. Have I mentioned a $500 charge to hook up a stove and dryer??

I do not understand how they stay in business and they surely don't understand about customers.
Windrider is offline   Reply With Quote