Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-14-2005, 08:12 PM   #1
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts
Default New History Forum

In response to several requests and a growing number of history related threads I've created a new forum for historical articles, posts, pictures and comments.

For all you history buffs all posts can now be found in one place!
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 08:24 PM   #2
Pepper

Thumbs up Bravo!

This is a wonderful new addition, and I'm delighted to see that the History of our region can now enjoy it's own special place here! Bravo, Don!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:35 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Bravo, Don Z!!!

Great idea and great execution. RG, McD, etal have been entertaining and educating us with Lakes Region History, and now it will be "under one roof". As always, thanks Don.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:43 PM   #4
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Suggestions for additions...and a question

Hi Don:
I quickly went through some of the forum entries for the last year and would suggest a few other threads that might be appropriate for this category. I was surprised to see how many posters have initiated historical threads including; JustSold, GWC, pickles, JG1222, KTO, WeirsBeachBoater, LilacHill and I'm sure there are more. These are possible threads to consider:
All Aboard for a Cruise Around the Lake on the Mailboat U.S. Uncle Sam
Mud Buggies (found in Winter Recreation)
Lake Winnipesaukee Poems
Some Notable Headlines
PT Mailboat
Home Movies of Lake Winnipesaukee (great thread!)
Governor's Island Pictures
Winnipesaukee Camps Remembered
Reminiscing About Restaurants
The Belknap
Who Remembers the Tonimar?
Historic Alton/Iron Works Question
Old Lake Photos
......and there are probably others.

When you mention that this category would be a good place to post pictures it leads to a question I have. I have collections of postcards/photos concerning a particular topic (such as of the Lakeshore Path at the Weirs, the G.A.R. Regimental Buildings at the Weirs, the Adventist Church Camp Meetings in Alton Bay and probably a few others.) but no accompanying narrative. Would it be appropriate to start a thread about one of these topics that had only photos with the hope that someone else could provide us with some background? Or would these groupings of photos be better left to photopost? Curious as to what forum readers think about this.

Thanks! McD
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
Joe Kerr

Wink New History Forum

RE: New History Forum

When does new or recent history end and old history start?
Should we have a new forum category for real old history?

Okay, I know it really means a new forum catagory that deals with history but that is not how I initially read the title.

I like the hysterical or is that historical information on this site. Sometimes I try to add some and sometimes I fail .
This new section will be nice reading on cold winter nights.

Thank you for making this a seperate catagory and for all the work that makes this board great.
Old 02-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Hi McD. I think that the forum is certainly a great place for narrative entries that may have some photographic items that support or enhance the posting. I question whether we would be improving the forum by simply putting pictures on a thread, even if we are seeking information. I think a posting with perhaps a link to the Photopost would be a better way to get this information.

Remember, that the more photographs in a thread, the longer it can take to load that thread, even with high speed access. Someone with a dial-up connection could end up getting frustrated if it takes an extremely long time to open a thread due to the photos, only to find out there is no info to go along with it.

I think what you and the others have been doing is great, and would urge you all to continue in the same manner...post narratives (with pics) in the forum, and keep mainly photos in Photopost, especially if the posting would have several pics and not much narrative.

Just my opinion...Hope to see you soon.
Old 02-16-2005, 07:58 AM   #7
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts

Thanks Don for the new history forum!
Upthesaukee brings up a good point. There are many photographs in PhotoPost, which have snippets of history in them, but most are very brief and not necessarily needing a thread of its own. Would it be best as suggested that there be a thread started for those, without the photos, but with what they are and links to them? Though that thread could get long. Hmm. What to do? It is very likely that some people may have missed these mini histories in PhotoPost. Just pointing the way to them might be a good option.
I do think most of the history threads could continue along as is, including the photos. Avoiding making them too long as I did in the Excerpts from Three Centuries. That one should have been broken down for ease of traversing.
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote