Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-20-2005, 10:49 AM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Smile For the Birds!!!

Came back from the dump...er landfill...er transfer station...er you know, the place where you bring your trash...er recyclables and garbage...Oh you know what I mean. Anyway, the bird feeders were getting down on seed, so I went out to fill them. Usually have chickadees and nuthatches that continue to feed so I brought my camera along. Chickadees continued down, and my friendly turkey walked on over. Yes, she is still hanging around, but we notice her roaming further and further every day. Hopefully she will disappear with the snow. If not, I may need the assistance of the F&G people and a net. (No, no 50 cal machine guns or 12 ga shotguns...rather see it relocated.) Anyway, here's a couple of pictures. Not more than 3 ft away!
Old 03-22-2005, 10:56 AM   #2
DRH

We just call it "the dump" ... everyone knows what we mean!

Interesting how unafraid of humans that turkey is. Have you seen her fly? Just curious if she may be injured and unable to fly away. She looks healthy enough in your photo. Of course, she's kept herself quite well fed under your feeders ... maybe she just sees no reason to go elsewhere!
Old 03-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #3
upthesaukee

She flies up to her roost right behind the house several times a day. There has not been that much seed on the ground recently...what you see is the residual from earlier this year now showing up as a result of snow melt. I go so far as to "cup" my hand around the top of the tube feeders, holding them over the platform feeder to catch any spillage, and she still hangs out, getting what the other birds knock out onto the ground. The funny thing is to watch her chase off the squirrels...I almost think I could take down the squirrel guard!!!

Yeah, we call it the dump too. A little stab at politically correct humor .
Old 03-22-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
trfour

Smile " Picture this ! "

I say, give the turkey a chance to strut her stuff and take the squirrel guards off of the feeders.... If she earns her keep, than maybe you have a gold mine invention to introduce here... Keep in mind also, no exorbitant training fees involved!...
Think about, Global Sales... Been out here long enough to know that, FLL hasn't shopped outside of Walmart, since there was a would... He would purchase one of these from you, in a heartbeat, no matter what the price!.. 10 4 ?

And also, keep in mind how much we all enjoy your PhotoPosts here, ( Upthesaukee ), and Happy Easter to all!

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-26-2005 at 05:44 PM.
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 06:27 AM   #5
glennsteely

Default wow, thats a hole lot of birds......

Were they around at Thanksgiving? I bet not. I think they know ham is the meal of choice for Easter.......
Old 03-24-2005, 05:00 PM   #6
upthesaukee

Default I may have got my wish!

It's been two days since I've seen my little buddy. Looks like a regular path they have going. Like me, once the snow is gone, it'll be time to break out the rake and the shovel...just a little picking up to do.

I'm not sure what is causing them to be around this year. I hasn't been that bad until the last month or two. Maybe just civilization crowding them out of the woods and into our neighborhoods. Thanks for sharing the pics of Tomasella's relatives. At least I know I'm not alone.