Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
covelife
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks: 21
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Prime Rib Dinner Recommendation

Looking for recommendations for a good place to pick up prime rib dinner (takeaway) - M'boro, Meredith, Laconia or Gilford? Thanks in advance.
covelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 5,042
Thanks: 1,917
Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,559 Posts
Default

I hear CJ Avery’s in Laconia has excellent prime rib. There is also The Lyon’s Den in Gilford which is also very good!

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
covelife (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 10:41 AM   #3
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 634
Thanked 478 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Not sure of your address due to broad geography in question, but I would think about travel time. New Woodshed if you're not too far from there
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 11:23 AM   #4
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,713
Thanks: 1,214
Thanked 771 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up

I never had a bad one at The Bob House!
They are always busy so be prepared to wait.
Now you have me thinking of Prime Rib, I may just have to go there Sunday night!
T-Bones has a pretty good one also.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
covelife (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
tummyman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 481
Thanks: 91
Thanked 402 Times in 124 Posts
Default Village Kitchen

Village Kitchen in Moultonborough on Rt 25 hands down...but Saturday night only !!!!!! Best as far as I am concerned !!!! Seth does a fabulous job on it !!! And price is very reasonable.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tummyman For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-31-2020), covelife (10-31-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2020, 12:39 PM   #6
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 882
Thanks: 491
Thanked 477 Times in 234 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Village Kitchen in Moultonborough on Rt 25 hands down...but Saturday night only !!!!!! Best as far as I am concerned !!!! Seth does a fabulous job on it !!! And price is very reasonable.
We second it....VK has delicious prime rib...and it’s reasonably priced..... take out or eat in.....you won’t be disappointed. Cash only....leave your credit card at home.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
Biggd (10-31-2020), DotRat (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 02:21 PM   #7
ACME on the Broads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 55
Thanks: 134
Thanked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Default VK for Prime Rib

Best Prime Rib in the lakes Region! CJ Avery's just a tab behind but also quite good.

Forget the Woodshed.........the VK Prime Rib is hands down bigger, far more tender, faster out of the kitchen and the staff, more friendly, especially more so than the Woodshed's miserable bald manager; he should be at Subway, oh wait, they closed in Moultonborough.
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
covelife (10-31-2020), Janet (11-02-2020), Reilly (11-01-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,752
Thanks: 805
Thanked 771 Times in 513 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
Best Prime Rib in the lakes Region! CJ Avery's just a tab behind but also quite good.

Forget the Woodshed.........the VK Prime Rib is hands down bigger, far more tender, faster out of the kitchen and the staff, more friendly, especially more so than the Woodshed's miserable bald manager; he should be at Subway, oh wait, they closed in Moultonborough.
I’m guessing you have an issue with the Woodshed manager?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (11-03-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 03:53 PM   #9
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 634
Thanked 478 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Let's save the meanness for political discussions. (haha)

All these places are great and fighting for their lives right now.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
covelife (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 05:09 PM   #10
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,713
Thanks: 1,214
Thanked 771 Times in 475 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
Best Prime Rib in the lakes Region! CJ Avery's just a tab behind but also quite good.

Forget the Woodshed.........the VK Prime Rib is hands down bigger, far more tender, faster out of the kitchen and the staff, more friendly, especially more so than the Woodshed's miserable bald manager; he should be at Subway, oh wait, they closed in Moultonborough.
Agreed!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
covelife (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 06:57 PM   #11
covelife
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 6
Thanks: 21
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Prime Rib Dinner

We tried the Village Kitchen and it was delicious; based on my portion sizes, I'll have another meal tomorrow! Thanks everyone for your recommendations and introducing us to this restaurant! We'll be back there and will try some of the other places too. Happy Halloween!
covelife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to covelife For This Useful Post:
tummyman (10-31-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 08:48 PM   #12
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 389
Thanks: 108
Thanked 126 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by covelife View Post
We tried the Village Kitchen and it was delicious; based on my portion sizes, I'll have another meal tomorrow! Thanks everyone for your recommendations and introducing us to this restaurant! We'll be back there and will try some of the other places too. Happy Halloween!
Without a doubt the Village Kitchen is one of the best values out there whether it be for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:59 PM   #13
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 882
Thanks: 491
Thanked 477 Times in 234 Posts
Default We told you.......😎

Quote:
Originally Posted by covelife View Post
We tried the Village Kitchen and it was delicious; based on my portion sizes, I'll have another meal tomorrow! Thanks everyone for your recommendations and introducing us to this restaurant! We'll be back there and will try some of the other places too. Happy Halloween!
We have another new member of the VK fan club! Welcome aboard!
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
covelife (11-02-2020)
Old 10-31-2020, 10:14 PM   #14
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 746
Thanks: 109
Thanked 263 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Question? All those that dined this evening, did they take your name and number? Late lunch for us today and no mention of it


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:21 AM   #15
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,752
Thanks: 805
Thanked 771 Times in 513 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Question? All those that dined this evening, did they take your name and number? Late lunch for us today and no mention of it


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
It was supposed to start yesterday. Important to remember per the article the restaurants are self monitoring.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:56 AM   #16
smith point boater
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: West Alton,NH
Posts: 150
Thanks: 239
Thanked 56 Times in 28 Posts
Default Lyons Den

They are great for prime rib but FYI they are closed until November 24(?) - they are doing their annual cleaning and taking an extra week or 2 to remodel the kitchen
smith point boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #17
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 882
Thanks: 491
Thanked 477 Times in 234 Posts
Default VK takes name and phone #

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
Question? All those that dined this evening, did they take your name and number? Late lunch for us today and no mention of it


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
After nearly killing ourselves doing leaves this morning, we treated each other to VK eggs Benedict...scrumptious! Two things FYI: they close @ 12::00 on Sunday, not 1:00, so we were almost too late😥. Also, we were asked to provide our name and phone #.... no big deal. Anyone who objects to doing that is looking for trouble where none exists. JMO.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 09:04 PM   #18
marinewife
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 51
Thanks: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default

We just came back from a terrific time at the Woodshed- fireplace was going, great strong drinks, delicious dinners, and outstanding service.

They took our name and number 2 wks ago for the reservation but they've done that since August when we've called for a table, so I believe it is their typical way to handle things.
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to marinewife For This Useful Post:
KPW (11-04-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 10:12 AM   #19
Janet
Senior Member
 
Janet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 398
Thanks: 166
Thanked 92 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Iím guessing you have an issue with the Woodshed manager?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I'd be surprised if everyone has not had an issue with the Woodshed manager!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (11-03-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 10:24 AM   #20
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,752
Thanks: 805
Thanked 771 Times in 513 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
I'd be surprised if everyone has not had an issue with the Woodshed manager!
I usually go twice a year. I have not had any issue with the manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 12:41 PM   #21
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 389
Thanks: 108
Thanked 126 Times in 64 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
Best Prime Rib in the lakes Region! CJ Avery's just a tab behind but also quite good.

Forget the Woodshed.........the VK Prime Rib is hands down bigger, far more tender, faster out of the kitchen and the staff, more friendly, especially more so than the Woodshed's miserable bald manager; he should be at Subway, oh wait, they closed in Moultonborough.
Is the Woodshed Manager really the Manager, or is he actually the owner?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #22
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 634
Thanked 478 Times in 283 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I usually go twice a year. I have not had any issue with the manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Same on both counts. (Maybe 3 or 4 times in a good year).

Plus, the guy's in a pressure cooker--luxury food in a casual area, higher prices leading to higher expectations, big crowds demanding fast service, etc. It is much tougher than the typical lake places to manage.

I missed it this year
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (11-02-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #23
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,713
Thanks: 1,214
Thanked 771 Times in 475 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
I usually go twice a year. I have not had any issue with the manager.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I've been there twice and wasn't that impressed. The restaurant is beautiful but the manager has his favorites and they get preferential treatment.
I prefer O's, not as stuffy as the Woodshed and I think the food is better, JMO.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Janet (11-03-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 04:27 PM   #24
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,752
Thanks: 805
Thanked 771 Times in 513 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I've been there twice and wasn't that impressed. The restaurant is beautiful but the manager has his favorites and they get preferential treatment.
I prefer O's, not as stuffy as the Woodshed and I think the food is better, JMO.
I agree O is better as is Canoe but I do like a change of pace and I’ve never had a bad experience there.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (11-09-2020)
Old 11-02-2020, 07:55 PM   #25
LoveLakeLife
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 99
Thanks: 36
Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Itís not in one of the town sought but Dockside in Alton has the best prime rib Iíve ever gotten. It really was huge with incredible flavor. I was underwhelmed by VK.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 08:04 PM   #26
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 5,042
Thanks: 1,917
Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,559 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Itís not in one of the town sought but Dockside in Alton has the best prime rib Iíve ever gotten. It really was huge with incredible flavor. I was underwhelmed by VK.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I too have heard great things about The Dockside prime rib. Had other things there that were delicious but never the rib. Definitely on the list to try!

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:26 PM   #27
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,814
Thanks: 974
Thanked 1,167 Times in 708 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Itís not in one of the town sought but Dockside in Alton has the best prime rib Iíve ever gotten. It really was huge with incredible flavor. I was underwhelmed by VK.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I wrote that the best seafood I ever got was at Dockside, and now I'm hearing about prime rib?! A little surf 'n turf might be in my future when we run to check on camp!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 08:43 AM   #28
ishoot308
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Gilford, NH / Welch Island
Posts: 5,042
Thanks: 1,917
Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,559 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I wrote that the best seafood I ever got was at Dockside, and now I'm hearing about prime rib?! A little surf 'n turf might be in my future when we run to check on camp!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The time we went to Dockside, there was six of us. Everyone raved about the quality of food. They also have great entertainment on Friday / Saturday nights! Definitely a return trip is in order.

Dan
__________________
It's Always Sunny On Welch Island!!
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (11-03-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 10:32 AM   #29
LoveLakeLife
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 99
Thanks: 36
Thanked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Remember to report back after youíve had the Dockside prime rib. I predict rave reviews. Iím a weekend visitor to the lake and canít wait to get it again.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 11:36 AM   #30
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,814
Thanks: 974
Thanked 1,167 Times in 708 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
Remember to report back after youíve had the Dockside prime rib. I predict rave reviews. Iím a weekend visitor to the lake and canít wait to get it again.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
My wife and I discussed going next Wednesday for lunch, but I dunno if I can order surf 'n turf for lunch and still drive home!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #31
ACME on the Broads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 55
Thanks: 134
Thanked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Default You're the lucky one!

Give it time Joey, you will!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
Janet (11-04-2020)
Old 11-03-2020, 05:00 PM   #32
ACME on the Broads
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 55
Thanks: 134
Thanked 35 Times in 17 Posts
Default VK for the best Prime Rib!

He's the manager!

We have written to the owner 2xs to express our disappointment, he promises he will address, apologizes but attitude improvement is not in the cards. BTW, this has nothing to do with being mean, it does however have to do with being friendly to your guests and welcoming them to your establishment with the hope positive word of mouth will serve as a great advertiser.

We are long-time Woodshed customers from the 80s and want desperately to enjoy the Woodshed. We're hoping TNW will in some small way revert back to the wonderful and complete guest experiences we always enjoyed when Lynn S was in charge....she was all class, exuded a genuine warmth and kindness all while welcoming you into her home. It was those qualities and many more that (instinctively after dining) had us making reservations for the next week.....This poor guy (manager) has a chip on his shoulder the size of Plymouth Rock, actually on both shoulders and is incapable of being warm, welcoming or genuine.

Hope someone can get through to ownership there's a problem!
ACME on the Broads is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ACME on the Broads For This Useful Post:
DotRat (11-04-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #33
Janet
Senior Member
 
Janet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 398
Thanks: 166
Thanked 92 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACME on the Broads View Post
He's the manager!

We have written to the owner 2xs to express our disappointment, he promises he will address, apologizes but attitude improvement is not in the cards. BTW, this has nothing to do with being mean, it does however have to do with being friendly to your guests and welcoming them to your establishment with the hope positive word of mouth will serve as a great advertiser.

We are long-time Woodshed customers from the 80s and want desperately to enjoy the Woodshed. We're hoping TNW will in some small way revert back to the wonderful and complete guest experiences we always enjoyed when Lynn S was in charge....she was all class, exuded a genuine warmth and kindness all while welcoming you into her home. It was those qualities and many more that (instinctively after dining) had us making reservations for the next week.....This poor guy (manager) has a chip on his shoulder the size of Plymouth Rock, actually on both shoulders and is incapable of being warm, welcoming or genuine.

Hope someone can get through to ownership there's a problem!
Totally agree Acme. On our visit this "gentleman" was rude and very unpleasant to us.
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Janet For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (11-06-2020)
Old 11-04-2020, 03:32 PM   #34
marinewife
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 51
Thanks: 23
Thanked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default

We just ate at the Woodshed on Sunday night, 11/1, next to the fireplace. Besides having a great meal, wonderful server and great drinks, the manager swung through, asked us how things were, and we had a nice chat.

The other two times we were there for dinner in October with friends, he did the same thing. Maybe the owner had a discussion with him, I'm not sure, but he was quite pleasant to us on all three visits.

We really like the place.
marinewife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 1.10255 seconds