Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2017, 08:14 PM   #1
greeleyhill

Default Winterizing a Fuel Injected Engine

Super novice question for most of you I'm sure but I was wondering if an engine with Fuel Injection needs to be fogged in the winterizing process. My Marina charged me for that last year and it's been nagging at me ever since. I think it was maybe a $15 charge but do I need that for my Volvo Penta engine?
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:14 AM   #2
jeffk

Also a novice but the fogging oil is for the cylinders, pistons, rings to prevent corrosion since oil over long periods of storage drains off these parts and allows corrosion to occur. Fogging oil clings to parts for long term anti corrosion protection.

So unless your fuel injected boat has no cylinders, pistons, rings the fogging oil is a good idea??
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
greeleyhill

I thought fogger was sprayed directly onto/into the carburetor...would i have have an accessible carburetor in a fuel injected engine?
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #4
jeffk

Do NOT spray into an air intake.

Apparently you mix up a special "fogging" cocktail and run it as fuel by connecting the fuel line to the mixture. The critical thing is to do what YOUR manufacturer tells you to do. Again, I am a novice as well.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:33 AM   #5
Dave R

My fuel injected engine has a little port downstream of the MAF sensor and the throttle body. I remove the threaded plug that's in the hole and replace it with a tapered birch dowel that has a hole drilled down the center of it. I insert the plastic straw from the can of fogging oil through the center hole in the dowel and use the dowel depth to set the engine speed (it acts like a throttle in this situation) while I spray fogging oil. It works very well.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2017, 12:03 PM   #6
New Hampshire Lake Man

Talking Forum Foul!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeleyhill View Post
Super novice question for most of you I'm sure but I was wondering if an engine with Fuel Injection needs to be fogged in the winterizing process. My Marina charged me for that last year and it's been nagging at me ever since. I think it was maybe a $15 charge but do I need that for my Volvo Penta engine?
Foul! It's still July, talk of winterizing engines is not permitted under the rules until Labor Day at the earliest, preferably October 1. There's still a solid two months of boating still to go, please don't make me think of putting the boat away yet! But regardless, good luck!

Last edited by New Hampshire Lake Man; 07-31-2017 at 12:04 PM. Reason: forgot Mr. Smiley
New Hampshire Lake Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:38 PM   #7
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hampshire Lake Man View Post
Foul! It's still July, talk of winterizing engines is not permitted under the rules until Labor Day at the earliest, preferably October 1. There's still a solid two months of boating still to go, please don't make me think of putting the boat away yet! But regardless, good luck!
Rattletrap likes this !!!!