Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
Sammy

Default Tipping for Valet

This is our first year doing valet storage for our boat at Shep Brown's. Have always tipped the gas dock attendants. Is it appropriate to tip the kids that help you at the dock and cover your boat? I would assume yes, how much would the going rate be?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 01:49 PM   #2
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
This is our first year doing valet storage for our boat at Shep Brown's. Have always tipped the gas dock attendants. Is it appropriate to tip the kids that help you at the dock and cover your boat? I would assume yes, how much would the going rate be?
I tip them if I have smaller ($5) bills in my pocket. Mostly, it's the forklift guy who gets the tip...he is carrying my investment around that yard and I want him to pay attention to my property.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 07:12 PM   #3
salty dog

My boat, kept on a trailer, is launched and retrieved each time out. I give $10
to the attendant and if it happens to be one for the launch and one for the pull out, they each get $5.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
jetlag100

Default Tipping Valet

I'm sort of wondering...I pay their salary, why would I tip them? Do you own your rack? Are you part of an association? I have to think about this one
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 09:32 PM   #5
KPW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
I'm sort of wondering...I pay their salary, why would I tip them? Do you own your rack? Are you part of an association? I have to think about this one
It's nice to be nice.
KPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
JADAQ

I guess times have changed. Back in the mid 80's I pumped gas at a dock that is no longer there for $2.20 an hour and not once in the 3 years did a get a dime for a tip! Now common day practice is tips are almost expected everywhere. I did boat rentals as well at a different location and again not a dime. I wish kids these days could walk in their parents shoes, it would be like getting a slap in the face with a row boat oar!
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
greeleyhill

Default Tipping not next appreciated

We valeted for a few years after we bought our boat a few years ago and i had the same question so i asked the GM of the Marina. He said, in his words, "nobody's going to think you're a boob if you don't tip but if someone does a really nice job for you or goes out of your way to help out, then a modest tip is a nice way of saying thank you". I remembered those words and still do today every time i fill up. We don't valet anymore, we have a wet slip, but i still think about it every time someone helps out at the boat yard. It's nice to do and it's nice to recognize someone who's putting in the effort.

Last edited by greeleyhill; 07-07-2017 at 08:45 PM. Reason: grammatical edit
greeleyhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
laketrout

I tip a few bucks to 10 bucks if your getting great service at either a boat launch or fuel docks. I gave Naswa Dock kids $5 yesterday.

I used to work as a dock attendant and fuel pumps at a marina in the 1980's and I would get $100 a day in tips on a good day, big money in 1984! The amusing thing is the little center consoles and Bow riders would give me the biggest tips at the time, the bigger boats I would sometimes get nothing..
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
SIKSUKR

I've wondered in this age of plastic money if workers like these are taking a hit with tips. I know I almost never carry cash anymore and dont have to lie to the guy on the corner looking for money when I tell him "I only have plastic . I'm figuring they will ask me to swipe my card soon.