Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Rattletrap

Default Backing into your slips

I'll be going stern in the slip on the new boat i know its going to take practice like anything else but...... I reach out as always for the forums wisdom. Wind really isn't an issue we are well protected.
Who does it? And what have you learned that can be passed on.....Besides don't miss and don't hit anything
Old 05-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
HellRaZoR004

All the time...makes for getting on/off the boat possible.

What type of boat do you have? Single/twin engine, duo props, etc.?
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
radiocontester

Default Take your time....let the momentum of the boat at idle work in your favor

This video might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdZ5aqp0Nxk

radiocontester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to radiocontester For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (05-02-2017), Old Sarge (05-02-2017), Rattletrap (05-01-2017), Tedougherty (05-02-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellRaZoR004 View Post
All the time...makes for getting on/off the boat possible.

What type of boat do you have? Single/twin engine, duo props, etc.?
Single I/O dual props
Old 05-01-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
8gv

Don't approach the slip any faster than you are willing to hit it!

Be sure to have your crew positioned in a way that does not obstruct your view.

If you want them to help, establish duties for them in advance. You don't need someone rushing over to "help" and obstructing your view or worse, getting injured.

Your two prop outdrive will have minimal "prop walk" (sideways stern movement caused by wheel effect) so set up for straight in if wind and current are not a factor.

Making contact with the dock is much better than making contact with another boat. Come in closer to the dock.

Don't do anything abruptly. A light push to fend off is possible if you take it slow.

Practice a lot.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2017, 10:37 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts

Same as any drill. Go out in the bay, throw a couple of PFD's out and practice backing between them. Then swap places with you mate and let him/her do the backing so you understand what the mate needs for position and communication. You can't be a good captain if you've never been a (good) mate.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #7
lakershaker

Default Another way

This is also an interesting way to back into the dock - takes a little practice.

https://youtu.be/s_l2PgyC-GM
lakershaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:46 AM   #8
persistence

Depends on how much room you have. Practice with no boats around if you can. Do touch and goes. Back in, hold on then do it again. Keep power low, if wind is not an issue, you should be able to just clutch in reverse and fwd to stop. Goosing the power can get you in trouble quick. Give yourself a little momentum, but as mentioned not much.

I always leave lines and fenders setup on the dock. It just makes things easier. And anyone on the boat can help you by grabbing one. Make sure people stay low and hold on, in case you do need to use power. I haven't had someone jump off the boat in a long time. You should be able to get the boat close enough for someone to step off. Its just safer all around. The other day my buddy who has the same boat as me, stood on the swim platform while i was tying up. It was fairly windy. I didn't like it at all, but he insisted. Turned out fine, but it's just too easy to fall off.

My 20 whaler with outboard would walk a little to the side. That's a neat trick. My twin inboard boat, While I have a lot of control, I typically have wind on by stbd bow. So I try to put the port side on my port piling to pivot. I am not afraid to make as many attempts as I need. don't let others pressure you on how long it takes. I can be just about between my pilings and come out and set myself up fresh. That first video made a good point on steering. My indboards, I dont touch the wheel. My outboard, i'd turn it first before putting in gear. That helps save space instead of turning while in gear.

And just remember to tell people, don't get between the boat and the dock, the boat will always win.
persistence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:53 AM   #9
Dave R

Being powered with a single Bravo 3 and having a deep-V stepped hull, your boat will react pretty much exactly like mine. It will not want to back straight and will tend to pull the stern to starboard under power in reverse. The simplest way to overcome this issue is to do most of your backing at a drift. Just put it in gear long enough to get it moving, then go to neutral and let it drift backwards.

You can adjust course very easily by (in neutral) turn the wheel toward the direction you want the stern to go, then go into reverse for a second or so and back to neutral. If you are going backwards too fast, straighten the wheel and put it in forward briefly. If you are going too fast in reverse and you need to adjust course, turn the wheel (again in neutral) to the direction opposite of the way you want the stern to go, and briefly put it in forward. this will kick the stern sideways rather effectively, so use very little forward gear time.

You can use the wheel turns and gear changes from reverse to neutral to forward to neutral to reverse etc. to spin the boat on it's axis, however, the axis (pivot point) will likely be forward of the helm and not on the boat's centerline, it will be to starboard quite a bit, perhaps directly in front of you at the helm. This is due to prop walk of the rear most prop having a longer lever to twist the boat.

In all the tricks mentioned above, you should never have to use more than idle power, assuming there's no wind or current to deal with. If you find that you are using more than idle power, you are doing it wrong.

My absolute favorite device for assistance with docking is my Edson steering knob. I think they should be standard on every stern drive boat.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #10
ITD

Make sure it is deep enough and account for wave action at rest. A friend had an ocean boat and lost a very expensive propeller when a shaft broke. It is thought one of the slips he backed into wasn't deep enough and the prop was hitting the bottom at low tide causing damage.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 10:08 AM   #11
persistence

I also count how many turns on the wheel lock to lock. I have 5 turns, so I know about 2.5, the rudders are amidship. Can be a pain to keep track of, but helps me. I center them before I start maneuvering.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #12
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
I'll be going stern in the slip on the new boat i know its going to take practice like anything else but...... I reach out as always for the forums wisdom. Wind really isn't an issue we are well protected.
Who does it? And what have you learned that can be passed on.....Besides don't miss and don't hit anything
I don't mean to state the obvious but.... make sure it is deep enough to keep the lower unit/props off the bottom, especially if you back up a bit too far as you are positioning the boat.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #13
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
Being powered with a single Bravo 3 and having a deep-V stepped hull, your boat will react pretty much exactly like mine. It will not want to back straight and will tend to pull the stern to starboard under power in reverse. The simplest way to overcome this issue is to do most of your backing at a drift. Just put it in gear long enough to get it moving, then go to neutral and let it drift backwards.

You can adjust course very easily by (in neutral) turn the wheel toward the direction you want the stern to go, then go into reverse for a second or so and back to neutral. If you are going backwards too fast, straighten the wheel and put it in forward briefly. If you are going too fast in reverse and you need to adjust course, turn the wheel (again in neutral) to the direction opposite of the way you want the stern to go, and briefly put it in forward. this will kick the stern sideways rather effectively, so use very little forward gear time.

You can use the wheel turns and gear changes from reverse to neutral to forward to neutral to reverse etc. to spin the boat on it's axis, however, the axis (pivot point) will likely be forward of the helm and not on the boat's centerline, it will be to starboard quite a bit, perhaps directly in front of you at the helm. This is due to prop walk of the rear most prop having a longer lever to twist the boat.

In all the tricks mentioned above, you should never have to use more than idle power, assuming there's no wind or current to deal with. If you find that you are using more than idle power, you are doing it wrong.

My absolute favorite device for assistance with docking is my Edson steering knob. I think they should be standard on every stern drive boat.
When I went from a single I/O Alpha drive to a single I/O Bravo III it seemed that all the prop walk was gone. I had to relearn backing in because, with the Alpha, it was factored in for so long.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:41 PM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
When I went from a single I/O Alpha drive to a single I/O Bravo III it seemed that all the prop walk was gone. I had to relearn backing in because, with the Alpha, it was factored in for so long.

It's definitely much better with a Bravo 3, but try backing a long distance and see what happens. My boat will crab like crazy in reverse.
Old 05-02-2017, 10:55 PM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Above all, slow is pro.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #16
Taz

Default Backing

Neutral is your friend. Don't be afraid to shift in and out of neutral when approaching the slip and when you are backing up. It controls your speed.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #17
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattletrap View Post
Single I/O dual props
I don't know crap about boats but isn't single I/O one engine and wouldn't that be a single prop??
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:53 AM   #18
Woodsy

DPG....

He prob has a Bravo 3 or Volvo Duoprop setup.... Single motor, 2 counter-rotating props.

The only concern with backing into a slip is the water depth... you might have plenty of water under the drive when its calm... but make sure you have plenty more under the drive for when its rough or a large cruiser goes by plowing water...

Woodsy
Rattletrap (05-03-2017)
Old 05-03-2017, 01:55 PM   #19
Salty

Go slow. Get accustomed to moving throttle quickly between forward-neutral-reverse without going too far. Align boat with slip before backing in.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:24 PM   #20
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I don't know crap about boats but isn't single I/O one engine and wouldn't that be a single prop??
It's a bravo 3 with counter rotating props
Old 05-03-2017, 05:35 PM   #21
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
They look like this:
Old 05-03-2017, 05:47 PM   #22
Blue Thunder

Quote:
It's definitely much better with a Bravo 3, but try backing a long distance and see what happens. My boat will crab like crazy in reverse.
Totally agree with you. I went from an Alpha One that I could thread a needle with to a Volvo DP and I still haven't perfected backing into my slip. Drives me crazy.

BT
Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 PM   #23
Old Sarge

Quote:
Very pricey knob there Dave R. Why do you like it so much?

Have you seen this cheaper one on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Black...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Do you think it would work as well?
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 07:30 AM   #24
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Backing into slips

I've back into slips many times, all kinds of boats! Twin screws are great if you have a large boat over 27'. Less than that any single prop drive can handle the task. The Volvo DP and the Bravo III provide more 'torque' to the water so the are more responsive. All it takes is a bit of practice!

The steering knob is a godsend! The JC Whitney catalog has them. You will notice many CDLs have them on their steering wheels.

Love doing 'tight quarters'. Try backing into a slip between the 'B' and 'C' docks at LLM with a 23 footer. Took a few tries but it can be done. It's all about anticipating then drift of the boat and how then torque of the motor effect the drift. Add the wind and or current if any and your going to have fun!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:14 AM   #25
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Steering Knob

Quote:
Agree 100%! I wouldn't be without the steering knob on my Eastern! Coming into my dock on the windy side of Welch can be crazy at times and that knob has worked wonders in getting me right where I need to be! I swear by those things!

Dan
Old 05-04-2017, 08:29 AM   #26
Water Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Love doing 'tight quarters'. Try backing into a slip between the 'B' and 'C' docks at LLM with a 23 footer. Took a few tries but it can be done. It's all about anticipating then drift of the boat and how then torque of the motor effect the drift. Add the wind and or current if any and your going to have fun!
I've backed into my slip in C dock at LLM, agreed it's easier to load/unload, but then you have to make a 3 point turn to get out. Too tight between B and C docks.
I do back into most docks, find it is usually easier when you leave. Also puts the bow into the wave action coming off the lake.

Thanks,
Bill
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 AM   #27
DickR

Quote:
My absolute favorite device for assistance with docking is my Edson steering knob....
Back in the days when I had my first car, that was called a "broad knob," as it let you handle the wheel with just your left hand, while your right arm was around the, ummm, young lady sitting next to you on the bench seat. I didn't have one on mine.
DickR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 09:47 AM   #28
Barney Bear

Default Knob Name

Back home in Indiana, it was called a "suicide knob". Our son has installed one on his boat here. It is very handy to use to make rapid adjustments when docking. 🐻
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (05-04-2017)
Old 05-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #29
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickR View Post
Back in the days when I had my first car, that was called a "broad knob," as it let you handle the wheel with just your left hand, while your right arm was around the, ummm, young lady sitting next to you on the bench seat. I didn't have one on mine.
You didnt have a lady on your bench? haha Put one on my forklift also. I thought they were illegal in cars. fwiw
Old 05-04-2017, 10:02 AM   #30
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sarge View Post
Very pricey knob there Dave R. Why do you like it so much?

Have you seen this cheaper one on Amazon?

https://www.amazon.com/Silicon-Black...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Do you think it would work as well?

The cheaper one would probably be fine and worth the gamble. I like the Edson for two reasons, it's solid stainless steel with all stainless steel hardware, and it has Delrin (a very rugged plastic) ball bearings that can never corrode. Mine has held up to a decade of use and is like new. It has a really nice feel to it too.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
Old Sarge (05-05-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 02:08 PM   #31
Phantom

I say we all grab a beer and sit on his slip next weekend and score how well he does !!!.

That should "Rattle -his- Trap" !

But then again, I'm THAT type of friend.

LMAO

BroadHopper (05-08-2017), thinkxingu (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #32
Phantom

After thinking about this for a bit --

I'll bring the first 30 pack to make sure we get a good crowd for the show.

Bring your own chairs as this may be a full afternoon event -- best of my knowledge he doesn't have the dock lines set yet eithor -- more fun !

Rain or shine event !!

Old 05-07-2017, 04:03 PM   #33
upthesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
After thinking about this for a bit --

I'll bring the first 30 pack to make sure we get a good crowd for the show.

Bring your own chairs as this may be a full afternoon event -- best of my knowledge he doesn't have the dock lines set yet eithor -- more fun !

Rain or shine event !!

Phantom, with a good friend like you, ol' Rattletrap sure doesn't need any enemies.

Phantom (05-07-2017), Rattletrap (05-08-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #34
Rattletrap

Default Backing into your slips

You sure your wife's going to let you stay out that long ? She likes me better so IDK

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Last edited by Rattletrap; 05-08-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Rattletrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:17 PM   #35
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Phantom, with a good friend like you, ol' Rattletrap sure doesn't need any enemies.

I'll admit it was a little bit of a show Saturday it was a little windy but, it's in its slip stern first. I'm going to need A LOT more practice pulled it in and out a couple times as there was now one around.
Old 05-14-2017, 05:49 PM   #36
upthesaukee

When I was at West Alton, docking my 25 ft bowrider with an Alpha drive was a challenge. However, once I had my stern into the slip about 5 ft, I could take my bow line, loop it behind the end post, and slowly pull on the line to align myself with the slip and bump the boat in and out of gear a few times and I was in. There are some UTube videos on stern to docking and they can give you some good ideas to try as well. Keep it up, and keep it sloooooow. 👍😉

Sent from my SM-G930V using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 05-16-2017, 08:43 AM   #37
persistence

What's your slip like? Do you have finger piers or pilings on both side of you? If you don't, it can be helpful to run a line from the dock to a piling assuming you have 2 pilings. That way as you back in, you have something to grab on the other side too.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #38
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default Back in or drive in ?

If you think of it as "backing in" it can be a little tough at first. Watch the deep sea fishing captains. The real pro's. They don't back in. They turn around at the helm and drive the boat in stern first. Easy. Just a different mindset. When I back in a t a place like Wolfeboro, I don't try to back into the mid-dock space. I drive in, stern first, until I am past the spot I want to go to. Then I turn myself around, do the hokey-pokey, and dock moving forward.

Many think that "As I back up, my (deep vee) boat crabs one way and I can't keep it straight." If you go out in the bay to practice, you'll find that many boats backing up (driving stern first) assume a set angle and then go straight while the hull maintains that angle. Knowing this, and how long it takes for your boat to stabilize the angle will allow you to let the boat to do its thing and stop trying to correct something that is built into the hull. Other non deep-vees do other things and you really need to learn your boat away from the docks.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:23 PM   #39
Rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
If you think of it as "backing in" it can be a little tough at first. Watch the deep sea fishing captains. The real pro's. They don't back in. They turn around at the helm and drive the boat in stern first. Easy. Just a different mindset. When I back in a t a place like Wolfeboro, I don't try to back into the mid-dock space. I drive in, stern first, until I am past the spot I want to go to. Then I turn myself around, do the hokey-pokey, and dock moving forward.

Many think that "As I back up, my (deep vee) boat crabs one way and I can't keep it straight." If you go out in the bay to practice, you'll find that many boats backing up (driving stern first) assume a set angle and then go straight while the hull maintains that angle. Knowing this, and how long it takes for your boat to stabilize the angle will allow you to let the boat to do its thing and stop trying to correct something that is built into the hull. Other non deep-vees do other things and you really need to learn your boat away from the docks.
Funny you should say that i used to do this on the toon all the time. I tried once with the new boat but wasn't comfortable........... but i have a feeling I'll be doing it again once i get a little more practice with it. I used to think i was crazy driving it like that but it was easier to me when backing up.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:07 AM   #40
Phantom

Ditto on the turning around method !

Running the shifter takes some getting use to however as you have to contend with the "release" lever underneath.