Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2004, 08:53 PM   #1
scott s

Default Karen and Barry's!!!

Greetings,

Just a reminder about this JEWEL in Meredith! I found Karen and Barry's due to this forum, and my wife and I are now regulars.

Barry is a whiz in the kitchen and more than accomodating to ANY diet. (Atkins more than welcome!) The Calimari is fabulous, and there is no better clam sauce north of Boston. You also must try the chicken exquisito!!! Don't bother with the wine list...just tell Karen to do her best, you won't be disappointed!

Lago and Canoe are great too, this is just a reminder to visit the little bistro in Meredith ! Karen and Barry are great people, with great food and fantastic service!

We Drive all the way from Alton at least once a week!!!!

Best,

Scott and Lori Smith
scott s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 01:30 PM   #2
Hermit Cover

Thumbs up Karen and Barry's!!!

Trish and I more than agree. Several years ago we discovered this gem and mentioned it here with our review and we still think it's one of the consistently really good restaurants around. They really try hard to keep up the quality and the service and the majority of posts here in the Forum over the years agree. We'll always go back!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 02:56 PM   #3
Zee

Question Karen & Barry's

Where in Meredith are they located?
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Hermit Cover

Smile Karen and Barry's

The restaurant is located at 67 Main St above Mill Falls and across from the Post Office. Enjoy!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 04:42 AM   #5
Lakelady

Default Karen and Barry's Bistro

I must agree what a "jewel" that Karen and Barry's Bistro is. My husband and I never go a week without having dinner there. The best veal and sauce in New Hampshire. In fact, we no longer have to go to Boston for the most delicious Italian food, it's right in Meredith. From the food to the pleasant staff I think everyone should try it. I also recommend reservations on the weekend. Give it a try, you will also be a "regular."
Lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2004, 08:35 AM   #6
fodalo

Default Karen and Barry's Bistro Meredith

Attended a 40th Birtday Party at the Meredith Yatch Club on Saturday.
It was catered by Karen and Barrys and it was one of the best catered meals in a long time. All Italian and Scrumshis. Great Job!
fodalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 03:35 PM   #7
JG1222

Default I Couldn't Agree More

Karen & Barry's is fantastic! When we were there last week, my wife (who is 100% Italian) leaned over the table and asked, "How do you get this great Italian food in New Hampshire?".

If you go up the hill between the Inn at Mill Falls and The Camp from the Meredith public docks, they are located right there on Main St. (they're in the building that used to be For Every Season). It's definitely worth the trip.

Try the Lasagna!
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 08:44 PM   #8
Silver Duck

Thumbs down An Opposing Viewpoint

JG1222

I agree with you about the quality of their food - especially the Lasagna!

Sadly, I and many other people at my marina have decided that even Barry's wonderful cooking is not worth the risk of being publicaly humiliated again by Karen. She has done this to groups of us twice in the past few weeks.

The first time was because too many of us (a whopping nine!) came in at once. After the meal, Karen publically reprimanded us for not having made reservations, and told us not to show up again as a group without doing so. (Would she have done that if we'd showed up as three separate groups a few minutes apart? Since many of us have been going there often, that's happened frequently. She generally offers to put us together, if tables are available. What's the difference? )

The second time was last weekend, when two couples and a family of four that was visiting one of them decided to give it another try. This time, per Karen's ultimatum, reservations were phoned in (two hours in advance). At the conclusion of the meal Karen loudly slapped down a sign calling for a 17% gratuity to be added to the bill for large groups and publically called attention to it. Again, an unwarrented public humiliation! (Plus, we never tip less than 20%, and usually it's more like 25%.)

None of us ever plan to set foot in there again.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:02 PM   #9
JG1222

Default Wow

Duck,

If what you say is true, I certainly don't blame you for never going there again. I'd probably take the same action if that was my experience. It's especially disturbing to hear that this was done to repeat customers. Sorry to hear about that.

In the several times that we've eaten there, we've always been treated well. Even though she doesn't remember our name, Karen has always made it a point to say that she's recognized us and thanked us for coming again.

I'll definitely return unless something like what you described happens to me or I witness it myself. (Believe me, I have no problem taking my business elsewhere if I'm not treated right - no matter where it is. My wife still thinks I'm crazy because I haven't stepped foot in an Eddie Bauer store in five years! They screwed me on an online purchase and refused to make it right, and since I'm such a stubborn S.O.B., I refuse to spend another dime there!)

So, this leads to the following question: If K&B's is out for you, what's your suggestion for the next best place for Italian?

PS - If that 17% tip sign landed on my table like that, I would asked for my credit slip back, paid the exact amount of the food & beverage, and made sure my server got any tip they deserved in cash, so that management couldn't touch any of it. If my server that night happened to be the owner, it would have been a 0% tip and a "K.M.A." as I walked out the door. Last time I checked, gratuity was optional, and reserved for a job well done.

Last edited by JG1222; 08-24-2004 at 09:15 PM.
JG1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 09:59 PM   #10
Drummer Boy

I had the same experience you had. We made reservations for 8:30pm for a party of four. However, we arrived a little early, just after 8pm. The hostess seated us early in spite of telling her that we had reservations for 8:30pm. At about 8:30pm another large group arrived without reservations which were not seated as they were still holding our 8:30pm reservation. I got up and explained to Karen that since we were already seated ( and eating ) that the large group waiting could probably be seated. Karen started publically ridiculing me in the restaurant for screwing up her evening. Hello...your hostess seated us and we told her we were there early. Food was Okay, but we'll NEVER go back !
Drummer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 07:58 AM   #11
Old Hubbard Rd

Default Need's a new Karen

Seems like Barry is trying real hard and Karen is killing the business. Maybe he should get a new Karen or it probably would be cheaper to get a new hostess and get Karen a new career.
Old Hubbard Rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 11:09 AM   #12
dpg

Is Karen and Barry married? Then, that would mean the boss is...Well never mind...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 04:38 PM   #13
ghoti

[QUOTE=JG1222]

So, this leads to the following question: If K&B's is out for you, what's your suggestion for the next best place for Italian?

QUOTE]

I'd recommend Abondante, further down on Main St towards the lights at 25 and 3.

Haven't been there this year yet, but have been there many times in the past. Foods great and we've never had any problem with the service.
ghoti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:04 PM   #14
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts
Default Ristorante Contadina

If you are at the southern end of the lake, we have enjoyed this place on several occasions, although they get a mixed review from the Union Leader
Ristorante Contadina

Last edited by mcdude; 10-13-2004 at 06:54 AM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 06:53 PM   #15
Silver Duck

JG

'fraid I don't have a recommendation to make - I haven't had the heart to try any of the other local Italian restaraunts yet.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 08:16 PM   #16
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg
Is Karen and Barry married? Then, that would mean the boss is...Well never mind...
Yup, they are.............I'm glad I've never had the unfortunate experiences which some of you have had, and I sure hope I don't in the future!
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:25 PM   #17
Lakelady

Default Karen and Barry's Bistro

Sorry to hear that the tip issue was your problem, but it also sounds like you had a personal problem with Karen. We have never, ever seen that behavior in their restaurant, and we go once a week, even on a busy weekend night.
As for the gratuity, that is so common in any restaurant. It is usually any party of six or more that it is added on automatically. I guess that you have not had to encounter that before, but it is a policy in almost every restaurant in the lakes region and any restaurant that we have ever been to in any state. I hope that the readers on this post who have never been to Karen and Barry's will give it a try, you will not be sorry. The food, atmosphere and the service is excellent. We also went in without reservations on a extremely busy weekend night, yes, we had to wait for a table, but that is common for an excellent restaurant up here in the summer months. No problems for us. So any of you reading this link, try it, you will go back again. I am sure of it.

Last edited by Lakelady; 09-26-2004 at 03:28 PM.
Lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote