Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-23-2008, 10:53 PM   #1
JL Girl

Default Snow Out 2008

This year's many snowstorms made me think that our "Snowman's Land" (aka the Lakes Region) deserves its own special "out" date guess. In years past, I would watch the giant snow pile in the Meredith Brooks plaza near the exit finally diminish into nothingness, oh somewhere around August (it was probably earlier than that!) Anyway, any guesses when all our many lawnfuls and banks of snow will finally leave? My guess is June 1!
JL Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:38 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Currently, it's five degrees and that's pretty cold for a March 24. Maybe this March's cold temp s balances out the warm temps of December 2006? How about the dry icy condition of all the snow which is very slowly evaporating down. What we need is a rainy day combined with warm temps and all the piles of snow will get sloshed away fast.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
pmj

July 15
pmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
codeman671

When I make my first trip to the island on ice
out day there will still be snow there...I have no doubt of that...
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Weirs guy

Pretty sure the 1 pile behind my camper, that gets no sun, will be there next winter.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2008, 01:17 PM   #6
nj2nh

Maybe I will actually get to see snow on Mt. Washington in the summer this year. We usually go to Alton Bay in June and then again in August, but don't head up Mt. W. until the summer is nearly over. Might have to head up early this year and check it out.

Even though we haven't gotten anything anyone could call decent snow, the piles of the formerly-white, now disgustingly-filthy stuff in the parking lot at our town pool are simply enormous! They don't look like they will melt until May so I can only imagine what it must be like for you all up there.

I was on Black Cat's webcam just a few minutes ago and could actually see the ice melting. If you click on the "previos images", you can see them all in rapid succession and see the ice turning back into water. Very cool.

nj2nh
Old 03-24-2008, 04:40 PM   #7
jetskier

Smile Standard Measurement Needed

For those of us that are not there regularly, someone needs to give us a standard measurement. Measure the depth of that pile in the yard and post updates for the rest of us. Of course, mud depth does not count.

I think that the big concern is that it will go from cold to "VERY WARM" and melt quite fast. That is what seems to be what we are being set up for. I expect that the yards will turn into bottomless mud.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
I was on Black Cat's webcam just a few minutes ago and could actually see the ice melting. If you click on the "previos images", you can see them all in rapid succession and see the ice turning back into water. Very cool.

nj2nh
I did the same thing this afternoon, and I was blown away by the sequence! The rapid melt along the ridge was astounding, and fun to watch! I played it over several times, and also noticed that around 1:00 a very tiny critter appeared right in that section, very close to the waterline. It moved around for about ten minutes there, and then disappeared! Whatever it was, I believe it must have come out of the water. It was a tiny little dot, but when you watched the sequence you could see that it was moving around from hole to hole, and then vanished. Very cool!
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #9
Resident 2B

Exclamation Welcome Back Pepper

I also watched the melting to the right of the ridge on the Black Cat Cam. I missed the critter.

Spring is here and slowly, but surely, things will moderate. There is so much snow and ice around, so the change will be slow. By early April, only a week away, things should get going. I cannot wait!

Pepper, great to have you back!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Pepper

Thank you! It's nice to be back!

I'm doing my best to juggle what is currently a rather crazy life. I spent a good portion of today catching up on all the posts. I promise to spend time here as often as possible! I miss my friends here.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:07 PM   #11
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
For those of us that are not there regularly, someone needs to give us a standard measurement. Measure the depth of that pile in the yard and post updates for the rest of us. Of course, mud depth does not count.

It's on the Black Cat WeatherCam. Underneath the current image there is current weather data, and in the comments section you'll find lake temp followed by snow measurements including current snow depth.

Three weeks ago the yard stick (installed in December) was completely buried and I had to use a bigger stick to measure 43 inches, the season's max snow depth.

Now after some rain and warmth it's still a couple feet deep, but since it got all gloppy during the midwinter warmth/rain it froze solid soon after and has stayed that way, even on the more recent warm days. An average adult can walk right on top of it with no snowshoes. For all intents and purposes, we have 2 feet of ice on the ground, not snow.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:07 AM   #12
fatlazyless

A not so warm ten degrees outside now.....helloooo...springtime....come back again soon! At least the sap is running, and no that's not a reference to a NH politician....cold nights.....warm days...way better than Aunt Jemima....real NH maple syrup!
Old 03-25-2008, 11:04 AM   #13
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I have 2 snow piles 1 camper deep in the back yard, and 2 piles 1 truck bed deep in the driveway. I know its not helpful, but theres no way I can measure it with an actual tape measure without killing myself.

Now?
Old 03-25-2008, 01:13 PM   #14
mets3007

I cant wait for Summer 08 lol I just finished my reservations for this Summer coming up one week in July and one in August woooo hooooooo. Now lets get rid of the snow and start the summer fun yaaaaaa hoooooooooooo.

ps couldnt you tell Im excited or what lol.
mets3007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:18 AM   #15
Lakegeezer

Default Still a lot of snow

Each day, more and more surface is appearing. The roads are getting muddy in the afternoon, but frozen again each morning. You can walk on top of the snow most of the day, and the plow piles are still 4 to 5 feet tall. Over a foot of base still in the woods, but it has a styrofoam feel to it. Very weird for this time of year. I've attached a shot I took yesterday (March 25'th), of our summer chairs waiting to be used.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #16
Weirs guy

Great shot lg! Thats the best part of this melting is finding stuff that I forgot I had. The neighbors propane tank actually scared me the other day, hadn't seen it in 2 months!

Now?