Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Outdoor Recreation
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #1
djones
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Moultonborough Airport

Moultonborough Airport is up ticking in activity. Charter planes in and out and There is a new flight school there and rental planes, as well as scenic and fall foliage tours. Good to see them going again. Anyone been over there?
djones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #2
Denis D
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 46
Thanks: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Great to hear. I flew in there a few years ago and it was pretty dead. Good price for Avgas though.
__________________
Denis in NJ
Denis D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #3
djones
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Hopefully word will spread and it will continue to get busier. They are having a fly in on Oct 23rd
djones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:40 PM   #4
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4,604
Thanks: 1,083
Thanked 1,477 Times in 888 Posts
Default

I looked for scenic flights last spring and couldn't find much out of Moultonborough. Anyone have a link? I gotta think there's a demand in that area rather than driving to Laconia.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #5
djones
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I looked for scenic flights last spring and couldn't find much out of Moultonborough. Anyone have a link? I gotta think there's a demand in that area rather than driving to Laconia.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Here's the company:

http://mocoaviation.com
djones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djones For This Useful Post:
thinkxingu (09-15-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2021, 08:15 AM   #6
TomF
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 7
Thanks: 8
Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I looked for scenic flights last spring and couldn't find much out of Moultonborough. Anyone have a link? I gotta think there's a demand in that area rather than driving to Laconia.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
http://www.epicseaplaneadventures.com

They even come to you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TomF is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:17 AM   #7
djones
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
http://www.epicseaplaneadventures.com

They even come to you


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They’re not based out of Moultonborough Airport.
djones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 09:36 AM   #8
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,422
Thanks: 1,485
Thanked 1,565 Times in 791 Posts
Default

It is a great little airport! I live on the other side of the pond from it and see a good amount of activity. My buddies have a private hangar at the end.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2021, 08:25 AM   #9
djones
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Moultonborough Airport Fly-In and Car Show

Looks like they are having a fly-in and car show in October. I asked for more info, sounds like AOPA will be there with a booth. Seems like they are trying to promote the airport, and bring it back to life. Really good to see. I hope they get support. I attached the flyer to this post.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf fly in flyer_v2.pdf (1.66 MB, 189 views)
djones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djones For This Useful Post:
Denis D (09-18-2021), GregW11 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 05:28 PM   #10
Denis D
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 46
Thanks: 4
Thanked 17 Times in 15 Posts
Default

Thanks for that, I'll have to fly in if I can.
It would be great to see more activity there.
__________________
Denis in NJ
Denis D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Denis D For This Useful Post:
GregW11 (09-19-2021)
Old 09-18-2021, 07:58 PM   #11
C-Bass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 114
Thanks: 1
Thanked 31 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I thought Moultonborough went private.
C-Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:32 PM   #12
djones
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default

It did. But back public. State is going to repave.
djones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 12:46 AM   #13
mswlogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 434
Thanks: 142
Thanked 169 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
It is a great little airport! I live on the other side of the pond from it and see a good amount of activity. My buddies have a private hangar at the end.
You do realize small aircraft still run leaded fuel, right?
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:46 AM   #14
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,097
Thanks: 534
Thanked 839 Times in 320 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
You do realize small aircraft still run leaded fuel, right?
Ö.But maybe not for long. Related article in this monthís AOPA Pilot magazine:

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/...fuels-unleaded
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (10-04-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 11:44 AM   #15
LikeLakes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 110
Thanks: 15
Thanked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
You do realize small aircraft still run leaded fuel, right?
Curious how you meant this? I read the thread but didn't see any other fuel reference.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #16
mswlogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 434
Thanks: 142
Thanked 169 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
Curious how you meant this? I read the thread but didn't see any other fuel reference.
He was excited to live near a small airport. I understand and love small aircraft. But a lot of people donít realize they are exempt of EPA requirements of lead free fuel. I was training for my pilots license about 15 years ago and when learned that they still used leaded fuel I couldnít live with myself that I was poisoning the homes below for my pleasure and dropped out. I was flying out of a airport much more densely populated area. I was really bummed because it was an absolute blast.

It is low lead fuel (great improvement over the past) but it still has serious impact near the airports. Large Commercial planes do not use leaded fuel.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:01 PM   #17
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Massachusetts and Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 369
Thanked 502 Times in 275 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
He was excited to live near a small airport. I understand and love small aircraft. But a lot of people donít realize they are exempt of EPA requirements of lead free fuel. I was training for my pilots license about 15 years ago and when learned that they still used leaded fuel I couldnít live with myself that I was poisoning the homes below for my pleasure and dropped out. I was flying out of a airport much more densely populated area. I was really bummed because it was an absolute blast.

It is low lead fuel (great improvement over the past) but it still has serious impact near the airports. Large Commercial planes do not use leaded fuel.
Hmmm, I think common plumbing is a far greater risk for lead exposure than a little airplane flying over head, but, feel good that a lead free aviation fuel has been approved for use as a replacement for 100LL, hopefully it will be in widespread use soon.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 05:25 PM   #18
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,996
Thanks: 869
Thanked 1,118 Times in 701 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Hmmm, I think common plumbing is a far greater risk for lead exposure than a little airplane flying over head, but, feel good that a lead free aviation fuel has been approved for use as a replacement for 100LL, hopefully it will be in widespread use soon.
What will that cost per gallon? What's avgas cost now anyway? When I was flying, a long time ago, it was mostly local and i paid for an hour or three, fuel included, so I never paid much attention to price of fuel alone.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 06:17 PM   #19
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 1,545
Thanks: 829
Thanked 663 Times in 402 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Hmmm, I think common plumbing is a far greater risk for lead exposure than a little airplane flying over head, but, feel good that a lead free aviation fuel has been approved for use as a replacement for 100LL, hopefully it will be in widespread use soon.
If your plumbing has lead, you should pull it out, especially if you have children or grandchildren. Very serious, very dangerous. (Yes, I know it used to be common...)
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #20
mswlogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 434
Thanks: 142
Thanked 169 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
If your plumbing has lead, you should pull it out, especially if you have children or grandchildren. Very serious, very dangerous. (Yes, I know it used to be common...)
Right. Pretty easy to solve. I love Pex.
There are towns with town water that have lead issues though.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 07:47 PM   #21
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Massachusetts and Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 369
Thanked 502 Times in 275 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
What will that cost per gallon? What's avgas cost now anyway? When I was flying, a long time ago, it was mostly local and i paid for an hour or three, fuel included, so I never paid much attention to price of fuel alone.
It's running between $4.50 to as high as $8.00 at Hanscom. Definite increase after 2020.


Edit:

Sounds like the new stuff will be about $0.75 a gallon more, but no one really knows.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Descant (10-06-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #22
LikeLakes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 110
Thanks: 15
Thanked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
He was excited to live near a small airport. I understand and love small aircraft. But a lot of people donít realize they are exempt of EPA requirements of lead free fuel. I was training for my pilots license about 15 years ago and when learned that they still used leaded fuel I couldnít live with myself that I was poisoning the homes below for my pleasure and dropped out. I was flying out of a airport much more densely populated area. I was really bummed because it was an absolute blast.

It is low lead fuel (great improvement over the past) but it still has serious impact near the airports. Large Commercial planes do not use leaded fuel.
I honestly appreciate your approach and environmental awareness. I share it and am involved in renewable fuel through work. But the small plane unleaded fuel use is a drop in the bucket at most, and poses zero risk to the houses they are flying over. Yes, hopefully aviation will move to unleaded fuel, I assume Lycoming and other engine manufacturers have resisted, but it would not ever keep me from pursuing that if it was something I wanted to do.

Yes, jet fuel doesn't have lead (basically kerosene). But the pollution from commercial aviation is a real environmental issue, and a hard one to make a dent in, by comparison the small amount of leaded gas that is used is nowhere near the impact. JMO, I haven't done any research on this.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LikeLakes For This Useful Post:
TomF (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 01:38 PM   #23
Descant
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Merrimack and Welch Island
Posts: 2,996
Thanks: 869
Thanked 1,118 Times in 701 Posts
Default electric planes

There are several videos on youtube showing electric aircraft in flight. Coming to a small airfield near you.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 02:11 PM   #24
mswlogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 434
Thanks: 142
Thanked 169 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeLakes View Post
I honestly appreciate your approach and environmental awareness. I share it and am involved in renewable fuel through work. But the small plane unleaded fuel use is a drop in the bucket at most, and poses zero risk to the houses they are flying over. Yes, hopefully aviation will move to unleaded fuel, I assume Lycoming and other engine manufacturers have resisted, but it would not ever keep me from pursuing that if it was something I wanted to do.

Yes, jet fuel doesn't have lead (basically kerosene). But the pollution from commercial aviation is a real environmental issue, and a hard one to make a dent in, by comparison the small amount of leaded gas that is used is nowhere near the impact. JMO, I haven't done any research on this.
Approx 3 million children live within 0.5 miles of airports in the USA. Which have been shown that the children have elevated levels of lead in their blood. If you think that's a "drop in the bucket" then that's your choice. Obviously Commercial Jets have other forms of pollution that we should also work towards improving.

https://www.smgov.net/uploadedFiles/...ead%20Fuel.pdf

https://healthdocbox.com/Add/1175417...-hastings.html
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #25
LikeLakes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2021
Posts: 110
Thanks: 15
Thanked 44 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Thanks for providing the links to more info. I don't have time to go through them right now, will try to do so in the next few days. I'm always willing to learn.
LikeLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:21 PM   #26
ITD
Senior Member
 
ITD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Massachusetts and Moultonboro, NH
Posts: 2,424
Thanks: 369
Thanked 502 Times in 275 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswlogo View Post
Approx 3 million children live within 0.5 miles of airports in the USA. Which have been shown that the children have elevated levels of lead in their blood. If you think that's a "drop in the bucket" then that's your choice. Obviously Commercial Jets have other forms of pollution that we should also work towards improving.

https://www.smgov.net/uploadedFiles/...ead%20Fuel.pdf

https://healthdocbox.com/Add/1175417...-hastings.html
I think that study makes some logistical stretches and I wonder why a study of this magnitude didn't include air sampling in these areas as part of it's data set. The study also mentions the increased lead levels in poorer neighborhoods where much older housing is used versus neighborhoods where newer housing is available and levels are lower.

But, as I said before, a substitute fuel for leaded high octane aviation gas has just been approved by the FAA and hopefully will be widely available quickly.

The sooner 100ll goes away the better everyone will like it.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
DotRat (10-07-2021)
Old 10-07-2021, 10:55 PM   #27
mswlogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 434
Thanks: 142
Thanked 169 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
I think that study makes some logistical stretches and I wonder why a study of this magnitude didn't include air sampling in these areas as part of it's data set. The study also mentions the increased lead levels in poorer neighborhoods where much older housing is used versus neighborhoods where newer housing is available and levels are lower.

But, as I said before, a substitute fuel for leaded high octane aviation gas has just been approved by the FAA and hopefully will be widely available quickly.

The sooner 100ll goes away the better everyone will like it.
Agreed. That paper is referenced by many other articles.

I love planes. I've flown RC planes (electric powered and gliders) for a while. Then I had the whole family take hang gliding lessons one summer. My daughter had a hard landing and dropped out. And my wife just couldn't take the "work" involved with learning. I made it to "Hang I" but never went further. That was an absolute blast until I came to my senses. Then I started taking the lessons, that was a lot of fun, I loved it. Latest craze is a drone, but that's not really flying, is it
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.62583 seconds