Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 04:29 AM   #1
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down Snow 1/27

Well it looked good last night at 8:00 when it started snowing at a good clip, but must have soon turned over to sleet and then all rain.
Here in Belmont at 4am the temp is 35 we have about 1 inch of sleet and it’s pouring out.
So much for the 2-4 they were predicting before a change over. All that work getting set up for a storm only to have the forecast turn out be wrong again.
At least as I look at the radar it looks to be all snow way up north in snowmobile country. Thats good but now we have to drive in it to get to the camp for the weekend.
Just wish we could have hit the road last night instead of waiting to finish the plowing I wont be doing.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
RLW

Less than 2" of the white stuff here on Alton Mountain. It was raining quite hard at the 4 AM hour also here and the temp was 31.2 and now it reads 31.8 and still raining. Hopefully by noontime it will be rain and warmer to get rid of the mess of ice we have.
Temp now holding at an even 32.0 degrees

Last edited by RLW; 01-27-2012 at 08:55 AM.
RLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
SIKSUKR

I don't know where you get your forecast from but you might want to listen to yourself.

From your gas price thread:
With this storm Friday predicted to put some more much needed snow up north and stay rain or mixed around here, I’m sure the northern areas will be packed with people long distance trailering again.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I don't know where you get your forecast from but you might want to listen to yourself.

From your gas price thread:
With this storm Friday predicted to put some more much needed snow up north and stay rain or mixed around here, I’m sure the northern areas will be packed with people long distance trailering again.
Gas price thread was centered on snowmobiling, specifically in North Country.
Many areas up north picked up between 4 and 10 inches around Moosehead Lake making for some really awesome riding this past weekend, especially west of Moosehead Lake where one area got 12 inches and they were able to groom for the first time this year.

As for last Fridays storm forecast, they were predicting 2-4 or 4-6 for our area before a change to sleet and possibly rain depending on who you watched. This was far from the sleet to all rain forecast earlier in the week for our area. Even NECN blew it on this one as they had Laconia on the line between 4 inches and 6 inches.
At about 4:30 Thursday as Winnisquamguy and I were working on getting his plow truck ready the national weather service came over the air and updated their forecast from 2-4 to 4-6 inches of snow for our area as well.

So tell me how can you connect the two threads and what are you trying to say?
As mentioned before my business includes painting and snowplowing, so I rely on the forecast and its accuracy, so I watch as many different forecasts as I can to try and develop so sort of an average that might prove somewhat correct and save me spending the time loading up my sander, gassing up my truck etc.
It’s a little more involved for some of us then having the shovel by the door or putting gas in the snow blower.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

Default I can understand your frustration

Look, being a snow loving skier I get as twisted as anybody about snowfall predictions that fall short or do not materialize at all. But that's not anything new and even with all our sophisticated technology its incredibly hard to predict regional snowfall amounts, rainfall amounts and sunshine for that matter. Its still a very broad stroke for the most part and given the tools they work with I think the forecasts are pretty good. I make my own adjustments based on past history.
I only commented on your post because you love to complain about the forecast and found it interesting that I just read in another thread you started that it was "going to rain or stay mixed around here" and then post in this thread that the forecast was all wrong. It probably was wrong but it appears YOU were right in the snowmobile thread.