Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts
Default Picture or drawing of Steamer Belknap

Does anyone have a picture or drawing of the Belknap? I have searched high and low and came up empty except for its designation as being a scow.

96 feet long with a beam of about 30 feet-it was big.

Thanks.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts

I found this...

Name:  Belknap.JPG
Views: 881
Size:  55.4 KB

You can find more about the Belknap from this old thread from Rattlesnake Gal's post from October 2004.. here

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1194
Old 10-08-2012, 10:04 PM   #3
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Some Video

from YouTube search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0titnidSvs

Old 10-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #4
SIKSUKR

Holy moly.Pretty big water or imagination on the artists part!
carguy (04-25-2013)
Old 10-09-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver1111 View Post
Does anyone have a picture or drawing of the Belknap? I have searched high and low and came up empty except for its designation as being a scow.

96 feet long with a beam of about 30 feet-it was big.

Thanks.
It was a 96 foot flat bottom "scow" steamer with a 17 foot beam (30 foot beam at the paddle boxes.) For those not familiar with "scow", it's essentially a slab sided hull much like a barge...square across the front and rear. The current Winnipesaukee Belle working out of Wolfeboro is a scow.

The artists conception shown above seems to be just that..a conception. The boat in the picture has a conventional pointed bow and stern. NB

PS: Other than the picture above, I was also unable to find any others. The Belknap sank in 1841.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
NoBozo

The Belknap was built in 1833. This was VERY early in the History of Steamboats.

I am currently reading an OLD book I found in an "Old Book" store out on the Cape last weekend. British Paddle Steamers. Not particularly relevant to Winni...but little bits and pieces come together. NB
Old 10-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #7
SIKSUKR

Was it scuttled or sank in an accident?
Old 10-10-2012, 12:55 PM   #8
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,001 Times in 915 Posts

Ran aground, on what I think is now Steamboat Island. Story about construction and wreck here:

http://www.lwhs.us/steam-earlysteamboats.htm
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
SteveA (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
NoBozo

The story of the demise of the Belknap has been told over and over for the past 170+ years. We all know how a story will change when repeated many times from person to person. I'm not suggesting we rewrite history...just a few thoughts.

I guess there was probably a story in the local newspaper of the time describing the incident. We all know how even today, the "media" get things wrong because they are not expert in any particular practice...in this case how a steamboat towing a raft of logs will get from one place to another.

A raft of logs is LARGE MASS of weight that barely breaks the surface, and doesn't offer any "windage" to the winds of a squall. There is nothing for the wind to impinge on in the raft. I suggest the raft was essentially a non factor in this story, acting more like a "Sea Anchor" than anything else.

Now you might suggest that the SEAS would have an effect on the raft...dragging it off down wind. I suggest this was also was not the case.

An Aside: There was an idea a few years ago that a raft of logs (retired telephone poles) could be chained together and be used as a "Breakwater" around a marina that otherwise had no protection from wave action. The idea was tried down here in Rhode Island. It worked. Waves would break on to the raft..harmlessly..which was anchored to the bottom, and chained to shore on the other end.

No waves got to the other side of the raft. There was ONE side effect that no one had thought of. Sea weed, barnicles, slime and other stuff started growing on the logs which just broke the surface. The result was a Smell like Perpetual Low Tide. The people who had boats inside the raft were not happy. On a hot day it was even worse.

Back to the Belknap. On the other hand, the Belknap itself offered plenty of "windage" with it's hull, paddle boxes, cabin and all the superstructure there was..Above the waterline. Certainly not an aerodynamic or streamlined shape presented to the wind.

I suggest the Belknap got broadside to the wind and blown ashore All By Herself. NB

LAST thought: When you aren't making Headway..you don't have steerage.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoBozo For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (10-12-2012)
Old 10-11-2012, 05:39 PM   #10
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

Thanks all. I have a reason for asking. If it pans out you'll see the results perhaps next summer.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote