Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > History
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
KittyHawk

Default Paugus Bay Seaplane Base

Does anyone here have a photo of the Sea Plane Base on Paugus Bay? My 1931 Kitty Hawk's (NC975M) logbooks all indicate it was operated from there from the 1940's until about 1973. I would appreciate any photos of the base - and your permission to add them to the history I am compiling on NC975M. Thanks to all for the assistance!

Meanwhile, restoration continues. Last month a 5 foot cube arrived from Santa Paula, CA - the Kinner R-56 engine, freshly overhauled to zero time by Antique Aero Engines. It is ready to install and fly-away - if only I had a plane to put it on! The fuselage repairs continue on the bent tubing and the wings are under construction. All four wing panels were ruined in the crash. Enclosed is a photo of the first panel going together in the shop. The plan is to finish assembling all four this winter.

Happy New Year!
Attached Images

KittyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KittyHawk For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-31-2013), ishoot308 (12-29-2013), Just Sold (12-29-2013), trfour (12-30-2013)
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 PM   #2
Diver1111

Thanked 1,027 Times in 224 Posts

This is the best I can find so far:

http://weirsbeach.com/reasons-to-vis...seaplane-base/

But it's Weirs not Paugus.
Diver1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diver1111 For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-31-2013), Kamper (12-31-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
AC2717

I seem to remember photos and even up to about 10-15 years ago a plane being based on Paugus, which was also a place to get rides, just after the blinking light heading towards the weirs, where the hunting and insurance store is now. The plane was on the water and the office/base was across the street
Old 12-31-2013, 10:24 AM   #4
Phantom

If your only going back 15 years .... there use to be a Sea Plane Ride which based at the piers just left of the old Burger King property (looking from Lake side). If you find an older Lake chart you will see that there was a designated water landing strip running North to South from approximately the Margate/ Little Island area down towards Spinnaker. We use to anchor at the Margate sand bar and let the kids watch them take off and land all the time!

If I recall, this summer there was a Sea Plane ride located in roughly the same location (I believe it is either the veterinary or specialty cars store now from land side).

unfortunately I do not have any detailed info.

UPDATE: Just checked on Google earth and I was correct, this summer there was seaplane rides at that same location. The Sign for the rides is on the property border of the Corvette Service shop and Barton's Motel ..... not bad for being here in Mass !