Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-17-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
eillac@dow

Default Golden Horseshoe ??

Hey All,

New to the website, but not new to NH. Been there since I was a baby and honestly, since my mom (now 74) was a girl.

I am not sure if I should be posting to a forum or a blog....but here goes....

Does anyone remember a resturant callled the Golden Horseshoe? We went their as kids....by boat, but none of can remember where it was?

Anyone know? Would love to find out!

Thanks

Eillac@dow
eillac@dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:45 AM   #2
Janet

I think it was at the end or off of Meredith Neck Road.

Welcome to the forum!
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
VtSteve

My family stayed there for vacation before we bought a place on the Neck. Loved their pizzas. The Chicola's (I think Steve and Yula), owned the property way back then, we knew them well.

The last time I was in that neck of the woods, I think the main house and other buildings had been converted to residences, but I could be wrong.

Ah, the good old days.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Found some Info

Found this Thread from 2004
Reminiscing About Restaurants
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...read.php?t=983

Check posts 40 & 47.

You could PM the persons that posted for more details.

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
Hey All,

New to the website, but not new to NH. Been there since I was a baby and honestly, since my mom (now 74) was a girl.

I am not sure if I should be posting to a forum or a blog....but here goes....

Does anyone remember a resturant callled the Golden Horseshoe? We went their as kids....by boat, but none of can remember where it was?

Anyone know? Would love to find out!

Thanks

Eillac@dow
Guess I should have answered you question, but the memory stirred me other ways.

If you go out on Meredith Neck Road, way out where it used to be dirt, onto Cattle Landing Road (if they still call it that). Before a big right turn on the laft hand side you can look down and see the old house. By boat, it was directly across from Bear Island, and a tiny little island is directly off the corner of the house.

My brother worked there for awhile summers making pizzas, and I used to take my little boat over as well when I was a wee pup.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2008, 07:34 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Default ...Golden Horseshoe

Hi - I heard that the proprietor of the Golden Horseshoe restaurant would dress up as a clown and perform clown gags for the customers? Ever see that?

From the Meredith public website, that big old farm house which used to be the Golden Horseshoe was sold in April, 2007, for 2.6 million.

The prior owners, a Boston Bruin defenseman from Ukraine and his Meredith wife, had purchased it for $349k in July, 1996.

They did major, major renovations and improvements, plus it has a super peninsular location.

In today's June 2008 real estate market, what with high gasoline & heating oil, high property taxes, and tight mortgage money, it is now worth $349k, once again.

How does one say 'C'est le vie' in Ukrainian?
Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hi - I heard that the proprietor of the Golden Horseshoe restaurant would dress up as a clown and perform clown gags for the customers? Ever see that?

From the Meredith public website, that big old farm house which used to be the Golden Horseshoe was sold in April, 2007, for 2.6 million.

The prior owners, a Boston Bruin defenseman from Ukraine and his Meredith wife, had purchased it for $349k in July, 1996.

They did major, major renovations and improvements, plus it has a super peninsular location.

In today's June 2008 real estate market, what with high gasoline & heating oil, high property taxes, and tight mortgage money, it is now worth $349k, once again.

How does one say 'C'est le vie' in Ukrainian?
Sounds like way too much of a decline, same exact parcel? Anyway, the 2.6 mil sounds pretty heady as well, so maybe split it in half?

Steve Chicola I believe had been on Vaudeville, and yes, I saw him do a few things way back then. He was strong as an ox, and his excercise, (other than working harder than three people combined), was passive resistance. He'd hold onto a small tree, and pull and push against it. A great couple Steve and Yula were. That was many, many years ago. His brother had a camp across on Bear Island, and a great daughter, who just happened to be very beautiful (and did I mention she was my age?).

Anyway, the whole family was great, and always treated us like family.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
rick35

My wife often spoke of going over to get pizza when she was young. When I first started going up to her parent's place on Bear (now ours) she pointed out the signs still nailed to the trees just before the Cattle Landing. She thought Steve owned the camp on Bear just across from the cove from her parents. I showed her these posts and she was remembering the treat to go over by boat to get pizza. That was before pizza places were everywhere. She said Steve put nine pieces of pepperoni on a pizza - one for each slice and one in the middle. It was one of her special memories of spending time on the lake.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote