Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
PennyPenny

Default Canoe buys Black Snout

The word has been leaked that Canoe has bought the former Black Snout Restaurant on Rt 25 in Moultonborough and will make it a family style restaurant. Don't know any other details but probably some forum members will be happy to hear they won't have to sit next to "whining kids" at Canoe in Centre Harbor.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #2
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
The word has been leaked that Canoe has bought the former Black Snout Restaurant on Rt 25 in Moultonborough and will make it a family style restaurant. Don't know any other details but probably some forum members will be happy to hear they won't have to sit next to "whining kids" at Canoe in Centre Harbor.
Penny,

The Word on the street is it's going to be an Italian Restaurant. Seems that is what it started out as. The original was high priced, poor service and inferior tasting food. Just my opinion.

George

WINNOCTURN
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 07:34 PM   #3
PennyPenny

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINNOCTURN View Post
Penny,

The Word on the street is it's going to be an Italian Restaurant. Seems that is what it started out as. The original was high priced, poor service and inferior tasting food. Just my opinion.

George
WINNOCTURN
It does not matter to me what type of restaurant it is. I hope the food is good and I get what I pay for etc etc. The owners(former)of Black Snout also own the Center Sandwich Store that is for sale as well. Too much work and not enough time in the day. The restaurant business is tough on people.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:14 PM   #4
froggy

Quote:
Penny,

George

WINNOCTURN
Is that the place just downhill from elementary school? That cut down too many trees.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:04 AM   #5
jniff101

It is past the elementry school, but that space was home of the origional Village Kitchen, so there really wasn't a lot of trees that they had to cut down. But I could be way off.
I do have to say though that when peple comment on kids in restaurants it bothers me. I feel like people forget what it's like to have kids. Yes you do have those parents that have no control over their children, but just because you go out and your kid make a little noise i don't think that's a reason to stay cooped up in your home. And as far as I knew there was a designated spot for people with kids to sit at. I guess I don't understand because I have a very well behaved child.
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2008, 08:22 AM   #6
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Only a FEW Trees

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101 View Post
It is past the elementry school, but that space was home of the origional Village Kitchen, so there really wasn't a lot of trees that they had to cut down. But I could be way off.
I do have to say though that when peple comment on kids in restaurants it bothers me. I feel like people forget what it's like to have kids. Yes you do have those parents that have no control over their children, but just because you go out and your kid make a little noise i don't think that's a reason to stay cooped up in your home. And as far as I knew there was a designated spot for people with kids to sit at. I guess I don't understand because I have a very well behaved child.
jniff101,

As I remember it, the lot was heavily "WOODED". "THEY" basically clear cut to the edge of Lee's Pond, and then said oops! We weren’t supposed to do that? It gave them a nice view of the pond from the patio.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
froggy

Quote:
jniff101,

As I remember it, the lot was heavily "WOODED". "THEY" basically clear cut to the edge of Lee's Pond, and then said oops! We weren’t supposed to do that? It gave them a nice view of the pond from the patio.
YES, a big oops, but they seemed to get away with it. Maybe they were fined; I do not remember. That's the place I was referring to in my question Where.

Lee's Pond is so nice from the other direction; I knew people who used to own a place on the Pond!

I wish Canoe's Scott well. History is History......
Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #8
PennyPenny

Smile

when people comment on kids in restaurants it bothers me. I feel like people forget what it's like to have kids. Yes you do have those parents that have no control over their children, but just because you go out and your kid make a little noise i don't think that's a reason to stay cooped up in your home. And as far as I knew there was a designated spot for people with kids to sit at. I guess I don't understand because I have a very well behaved child.

I totally agree that people forget what it is like to have children and grandchildren for that matter. I have both, including 15 year old twins that love to go at each other (but would hush their mouths in public) and a 4 yo grandson and a 4 mo granddaughter. If I/we want to go out to eat with children/grandchildren, we will. Hopefully the little ones will be agreeable in public and if not they will be taken out of the situation.
The reason I made the comment about "whinning children" was in reference to people complaining about Canoes seating policy on previous post. As I said, the new place is supposedly kid friendly. I live with kids everyday. I don't have an issue, other people do.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPenny View Post
when people comment on kids in restaurants it bothers me. I feel like people forget what it's like to have kids. Yes you do have those parents that have no control over their children, but just because you go out and your kid make a little noise i don't think that's a reason to stay cooped up in your home. And as far as I knew there was a designated spot for people with kids to sit at. I guess I don't understand because I have a very well behaved child.

I totally agree that people forget what it is like to have children and grandchildren for that matter. I have both, including 15 year old twins that love to go at each other (but would hush their mouths in public) and a 4 yo grandson and a 4 mo granddaughter. If I/we want to go out to eat with children/grandchildren, we will. Hopefully the little ones will be agreeable in public and if not they will be taken out of the situation.
The reason I made the comment about "whinning children" was in reference to people complaining about Canoes seating policy on previous post. As I said, the new place is supposedly kid friendly. I live with kids everyday. I don't have an issue, other people do.

Kids are people too.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #10
phoenix

any more on when it will open and what kind of food it will specialize in
Old 03-15-2008, 12:50 PM   #11
ladybug

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
any more on when it will open and what kind of food it will specialize in
My understanding is that it will be Italian food, family style, with no meal more than $16. It will be open for 6 months during the year.

I am not sure when the opening will be but hopefully soon.
ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Newcomers

Default Nice Place

New to the area, but we had dinner there during the Sox Playoffs last fall.
The food was very good (steak very good) and the staff was very friendly. We were sorry to see it close. Hope the new place is as nice.
Newcomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:35 PM   #13
Hermit Cover

Default Noise level....

Went for a quiet dinner .....when the Black Snout was fresh and new....and a half-filled dining room had a sound level louder than the packed Fenway during last year's Series.....Hope the food is good but we really hope the new owner deals with acoustics!!!
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:22 AM   #14
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
....and a half-filled dining room had a sound level louder than the packed Fenway during last year's Series.....
Thats 'cause of them thar "pink hat" fans my friend.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 08:24 AM   #15
jniff101

Default I can't wait

I was really excited when the black snout went it. but i was very dissapointed. The food wasn't very good at all and the prices were outragous! I couldn't figure out what kind of food they specialized in because it seemed like they tried to do everything from burgers to duck to pizza. If they had just stuck with one type of food and mastered it, they probebly would have done better. Lets face it, casual finger food places with reasonable prices do very well around here. Especially if there is a t.v in the bar. because there are a lot of sports fans around here who love their beer.

I have all the faith in the world in scott. I know whatever he does is a success. He's definately a force to be reconed with! I can't wait to see what he does. Hopefully the prices won't be like his restaurant O, cause personally I don't think that would do well in that spot.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Oh Great

Wow just what we need another Multiple restaurant grouping. It is bad enough we have all the Common Man Restaurants. Know we are going to have another retauranteur with multiple locations.

Now I don't mind people having success. But I do get ticked of when I see things like this happening. What used to make getting away and going on vacation was eating at all the neat individual restaurants that had there own charm.

Hopefully with some look this place will truly end up a family restaurant, vs. the Canoe, which some of us feel is a transplanted yuppie place from Boston. No disrespected intended here just an opinion. I just wish there where more places to go to get a good meal with out cream sauces and other crap draped over everything........

Anyways I do wish the new owners good luck..... for whatever reason that places has not been full of success.
Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM   #17
jniff101

Default I totally agree

I haev to say I agree! I just want a good burger and fries and not have to pay 29.95 for it! Dillingers did well in that location. Prices were good and food was decent too. Lets hope if it is scott that is buying it he doesn't get stretched too thin and loose the quality of the food and experience.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:53 PM   #18
canoe

Default burger

i hope you are not refering to canoe by saying 29.95 for a burger. if you look at our menu we a quite deverse when it comes to food and pricing. our burgers start at $8.00 and that includes fries.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:43 PM   #19
Resident 2B

Scott,

Best wishes for success with your new establishment.

I have heard this will be a family setting. Can you confirm this? A family setting sounds great to me.

Good luck!!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:53 PM   #20
Pepper

Default Scott ...

Here's the first part ...

Quote:
I was really excited when the black snout went it. but i was very dissapointed. The food wasn't very good at all and the prices were outragous!
and here's the second part ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101
I haev to say I agree! I just want a good burger and fries and not have to pay 29.95 for it!
Therefore I don't believe the poster was referring to the price of a burger at Canoe, but rather at Black Snout.

Now that that's out of the way, can you confirm that you have indeed take over this location, and if so what style of restaurant this one will be? Inquiring minds wanna know!

Best of luck if you have indeed taken on another new project!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:30 AM   #21
Cristen

Thumbs up Canoe Menu Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by canoe View Post
i hope you are not refering to canoe by saying 29.95 for a burger. if you look at our menu we a quite deverse when it comes to food and pricing. our burgers start at $8.00 and that includes fries.

This is very true. I can't think of another place in the lakes region that has such great food, and also a diverse menu in terms of pricing! We love it there and think the "lighter fare" menu is genius. Well done Scott!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 11:31 AM   #22
Weirs guy

Funny, but I still have problems with $8 for a burger, whether at Canoe, Patricks or any other establishment.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:11 PM   #23
Gatto Nero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy View Post
Funny, but I still have problems with $8 for a burger, whether at Canoe, Patricks or any other establishment.
A Whopper meal at Burger King will cost you over $5. I'd be willing to bet that that extra $3 goes a long way towards a better burger experience.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #24
phoenix

in the end a restaurant owner will but in what they think the public wants and will pay for. It will never cover all people's desires but hopefully enough to make a profit. I expect that given Canoe's history management will make this a success. Looking forward to trying this new restaurant this summer
Old 03-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #25
meteotrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
Wow just what we need another Multiple restaurant grouping.
Just be thankful that most of our restaurants are still privately owned... imagine if the thread had been titled, "Olive Garden buys Black Snout"?
meteotrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:23 PM   #26
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meteotrade View Post
Just be thankful that most of our restaurants are still privately owned... imagine if the thread had been titled, "Olive Garden buys Black Snout"?
That puts it into more perspective, met!

If the rumors are true- I think it will be a welcomed addition to the restaurants on this side of the lake- good luck Scott
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #27
jniff101

Scott,
You definately miss understood me. I was refering to the black snout and other restaurants who have no business charging even $5 for their burgers because they are horrible. If you look at all the other posts in this forum i have nothing but good things to say about you and your talent. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. But through the grapevine I also heard that the building is up for auction. which i guess would be the best time for someone to buy this place, good thinking.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #28
canoe

Smile

I definitely did. My apologies and i do appreciate all of the support. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:08 PM   #29
fatlazyless

Hey there, for just a mere $1.08, the Meredith McDonald's gives you a choice of either a double cheeseburger, or a mCchicken sandwich. Both are very good, plus there's the talking, winking & nodding life sized, moose who is an excellent conversationalist as long as you stay away from politics. Probably, the moose is a, you guessed it, a Republican!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #30
phoenix

so when will you open and what will be the type of food
Old 03-28-2008, 07:14 PM   #31
froggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Hey there, for just a mere $1.08, the Meredith McDonald's gives you a choice of either a double cheeseburger, or a mCchicken sandwich. Both are very good, plus there's the talking, winking & nodding life sized, moose who is an excellent conversationalist as long as you stay away from politics. Probably, the moose is a, you guessed it, a Republican!
We have not visited that facility on the hill since the year it opened!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #32
PennyPenny

Default Price of burgers and building up for auction

Quote:
Scott,
You definately miss understood me. I was refering to the black snout and other restaurants who have no business charging even $5 for their burgers because they are horrible. If you look at all the other posts in this forum i have nothing but good things to say about you and your talent. I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. But through the grapevine I also heard that the building is up for auction. which i guess would be the best time for someone to buy this place, good thinking.
I think the going rate for a burger with a side is just about $8.00 in any restaurant in the area. Perhaps more or less but not by much. Some restaurants charge you a flat rate for the burger and any additional toppings are .50 cents or so each. As far as buildings/restauarants up for auction, if you have the time and money go to the Bad Moose on Rt 25. From working in the business and rumor goes,they are closed effective this weekend. Any other members here the same info?
Old 03-29-2008, 05:07 PM   #33
bdwhit

Default Black Snout Restuarant to be auctioned off

I just got an email today from Paul McInnis auctions & the Black Snout Rest. was on their list

CURRENT AUCTIONS AND LISTINGS

Friday, April 18th at 2:00 p.m.
882 Whittier Highway (Route 25), Moultonborough, New Hampshire

154 seat, full-service restaurant, 3,698± sq.ft., built in 2002 k/a Black Snout Tavern
3.16± acre site with 146± feet of road frontage
all equipment included
bdwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 05:48 PM   #34
Smitty1

Default Bad Moose

Yes, It is true.
Bad Moose closes tonight. If you have a Mug there you may want to go and get it today!

Up for Auction on April 18th at 2pm. Black Snout up for auction at 4pm on the 18th

Smitty
Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:52 PM   #35
phoenix

a lot of restaurants within a small area ( Moultonboro/ Center harbor)seems tough to all make it thru the winter but hopefully new owners will buy and open two successful places
Old 04-10-2008, 02:35 PM   #36
SMG

Scott,

Congratulations and best of luck !

The other Scott
SMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:11 AM   #37
twoplustwo

Default good luck, and thanks Scott

Good luck with the new venture, I'll definitely be there.

Since I bartend at another local place, I know how annoying take-out orders can be but my poor kid has been home with mono for 2 weeks now, so I surprised her with lunch from Canoe on Thursday. Nothing makes my teenager happier than your calamari and day boat scallops. It brightened her week, and filled my stomach too - man, do I love that grilled chicken burrito! Since it took me two lunchtimes to eat the whole thing, I think $9 is a bargain. Canoe is a gem, thanks for being here.
twoplustwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:06 PM   #38
Lockness

Default Canoe Resturant

Scott:

Your food is far the best in the lakes region. Best of luck with your new resturant.
Lockness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #39
Orion

Default What happened to the Moose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1 View Post
Yes, It is true.
Bad Moose closes tonight. If you have a Mug there you may want to go and get it today!

Up for Auction on April 18th at 2pm. Black Snout up for auction at 4pm on the 18th

Smitty
So Canoe bought the Black Snout (great!), what happened to the Bad Moose?
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:32 PM   #40
Smitty1

Unhappy

Bad Moose may become a Subway

Smitty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #41
Orion

Default not needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty1 View Post
Bad Moose may become a Subway

That would be unfortunate as we already have a primo sub/sandwich/deli shop in that area at Jo Jo's....yum. Much better than any Subway.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #42
phoenix

i agree with jo jo's but that is 5 miles down the neck road. Bad moose is a prime visible location and probably will be well with the amount of traffic that goes by that location
Old 05-04-2008, 07:49 PM   #43
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
That would be unfortunate as we already have a primo sub/sandwich/deli shop in that area at Jo Jo's....yum. Much better than any Subway.
Isn't JoJo's closed all winter?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #44
phoenix

a lot of work is being done at both of these restaurants by the new owners so i suspect they will both open this summer
Old 06-01-2008, 06:34 PM   #45
Cristen

Default The Former Black Snout is now The North End Restaurant

Not much on the website yet, but check it out....

http://thenorthendrestaurant.com/
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote