Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2005, 10:47 AM   #1
Aquadeziac

Exclamation Posting gas prices

This weekend I saw a number of gas docks, including Thurstons and Silver Sands were not posting their gas prices on top of the pumps. Unless I am mistaken it is a Federal offense not to post gas prices on the pumps, whether its on the roads or on the water. Apperently they figure once you are in there at the pump youre gonna get gas no matter what it costs. Lets hope some Feds are reading this forum.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:37 AM   #2
Island-Ho

Default Look Closer

Do you suppose that the price posted inside the pump display satisfies the law? That has to be set for the pump to calculate your bill.
Island-Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:41 AM   #3
Skip

Post RSA 339:30-a

The posting of gasoline prices is governed by state law. You should call the NH Attorney General's Office at 271-3670 to report the particulars. Doubtful that any action would be taken based on your post alone, but a quick phone call to them with locations, date & times of the offender(s) will guarantee some type of enforcement action....

TITLE XXXI
TRADE AND COMMERCE
CHAPTER 339
SALES OF CERTAIN ARTICLES
Petroleum, Naphtha and Illuminating Oils
Section 339:30-a
339:30-a Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Prices. –
I. All persons who shall offer for sale or sell any gasoline or diesel fuel at retail shall post the price of all grades of such gasoline or diesel fuel on the pump from which such fuels are dispensed. Such posted prices shall be in numerals not less than 4 inches high and 3/4 of an inch in width. Numerals indicating fractions or portions of whole numbers on any posted price shall be at least 1/2 the size of the whole number on such display, and all posted prices shall reflect the total price of such fuel, including all taxes thereon. All posted prices shall be clearly visible from both sides of the pump from either direction of a motorist's approach to the pump in a normal approaching manner for fuel.
II. Any person who shall violate the provisions of this section shall be guilty of a violation.
Source. 1974, 24:2, eff. June 1, 1974.
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2005, 11:58 AM   #4
Belmont Resident

Default gas price effects

Never thought I'd be glad for higher prices but it made for one of the most enjoyable Labor day weekends I've ever had out on the lake.
Great weather and about half the normal number of boats out.
I'd gladly pay extra for this.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Question Were they actually open and selling gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
This weekend I saw a number of gas docks, including Thurstons and Silver Sands were not posting their gas prices on top of the pumps....
I frequent that area quite often and am familiar with the normal Silver Sands gas dock hours (even though I gas up at Mt. View YC). During our annual stay at Silver Sands a few weeks ago, I too was surprised at the LACK of a GAS PRICE SIGN at the gas dock.

Then I realized why there was no price sign. The Silver Sands gas dock was CLOSED. I heard that most of their gas dock attendants had to leave to go back to school. They did not have the staff to keep open all of the "former" regular hours so they were open "irregular" hours. Different from years past when the Gator Sign folks ran the SS gas dock and kept regular hours well in to the fall. MVYC gas dock stays open with their regular schedule.

Anyway Aqua, are you sure that they were actually open for gas business or was it just at a time when you would expect them to be open?

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 09-06-2005 at 10:12 PM.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2005, 10:54 AM   #6
PROPELLER

what did Silver Sands do about gas attendants in late April, early May before their gas attendants were out of school for the summer? Were they open? I don't recall there being an issue at the beginning of the season.

Last edited by PROPELLER; 09-07-2005 at 02:43 PM.
PROPELLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:17 PM   #7
Aquadeziac

Yes, they were pumping gas, as was Thurstons as a matter of fact. Thats why I thought it was odd. Even Thurstons big blue price sign on the side of the building hanging over the water was blank in addition to the signs missing from the pump.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:50 AM   #8
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Question Too embarrassed to post prices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquadeziac
Yes, they were pumping gas, as was Thurstons as a matter of fact. Thats why I thought it was odd. Even Thurstons big blue price sign on the side of the building hanging over the water was blank in addition to the signs missing from the pump.
I thought I had your answer but evidently not. The week of August 21 was when I noted the Silver Sands gas dock closed when I expected it to be open. When I asked why it was closed the answer was as I posted above - no staff to man the facility all the time. I'm not sure what Silver Sands did did pre-season. I know what MVYC does, their office staff often handles the gas dock chores.

Anyway, I took some gas price pictures August 18 and 19 when the prices were "low" (local steet gas price for 87 octane is between $3.09 and $3.69 today in my area of MA - 3 of the 4 prices below were for Mid-grade 89 octane).
Here are pix of Thurston's, Channel Marine (87 octane), Mt. View Yacht Club and Silver Sands. Let's hope the prices go down and that gas stays available.
Attached Images

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.

Last edited by Skipper of the Sea Que; 09-08-2005 at 08:02 AM.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #9
Merrymeeting

Default One possible explaination for lack of signs

I remember seeing a local article on this last week but can't find it. Though not local, the story is the same.

http://ap.lancasteronline.com/4/pa_gas_prices_pa_

This is true at Merrymeeting. The pumps are set at 1/2 gallon prices and you need to double the amount to get the acutal total. There is a notice on the pump but none of the usual signage on above.
Merrymeeting is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 12:39 PM   #10
Tired of Waiting

Angry You got that right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting
I remember seeing a local article on this last week but can't find it. Though not local, the story is the same.

http://ap.lancasteronline.com/4/pa_gas_prices_pa_

This is true at Merrymeeting. The pumps are set at 1/2 gallon prices and you need to double the amount to get the acutal total. There is a notice on the pump but none of the usual signage on above.
On lake Ossipee the marina posted the price at $3.50/gal then had a sign that the price is "Times Two." $7.00/gal.

ToW
Tired of Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 05:44 PM   #11
DRH

We filled up at Andrew's Marine Service at Minge Cove today for $3.55 per gal!