Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-05-2006, 11:49 AM   #1
whtmtn

Default LRCT and Snowmobiles This Season?

Gang,
Just curious if there is any change in the status of snowmobile usage in LCRT Castle in the Clouds area.
Believe me I'm glad that at least the main corridor trail is open though it would be nice to be able to visit again the other beautiful vantage points up there.
The snowmobile clubs and the state provided 12 months of trail maintainence for about 12 weeks of snowmobile usage. Last season there was virtually ZERO snowmobiling up there. Would have been a 12 month maintainence deal for no snowmobile usage.
How are the trail conditions now ie, the bridges, waterbars, brush etc?
Thanks much!
whtmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
secondcurve

Whtmtn:

Aren't you amazed that no one from the LRCT has the decency to respond to your post, one way or the other? I certainly am.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #3
Skip

Smile Silence is golden????

I too hope we hear soon from the fine folks at LRCT.

I have worked alongside WHTMTN and other hard working people in my club (which abuts the property in question) most of the fall cleaning and clearing trail, repairing the Corridor 19 RR tracks and rebuilding & replacing bridges throughout the sytem.

While doing so I observed something very special. We as a club work many more months a year maintaining the trail system than actually riding on them with snowmobiles. Three months of use is great, four months a gift from heaven.

But as we volunteer to keep these trails open, not a work party goes by out of those 8 or 9 non snowmobile months that we don't see the hikers, birders, dog walkers, naturalists, poets, photographers, children, parent and grandparents out using these same open trails for great off season recreational enjoyment. The truth is the trails are probably used by more people in a different capacity off-season than by the snowmobilers who actually volunteer all their time all year to kep them open.

I am hoping that as time goes by the fine folks at LRCT realize that the responsible individuals that make up the surrounding snowmobile community are ready to once again roll their collective sleeves up and help maintain a like trail system within the confines of this beautiful natural treasure.

I think that we all can co-exist and prosper on this property, if we can all learn from our past mistakes and once again pull together as a team out there!

Hopefully this early bout of snow and cold weather will get everyone together on this issue before riding starts in earnest this year.

Skip
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:32 AM   #4
T.H.E. Binz

Default Castle in the Clouds Recreation

I've been up to the LRCT property at Castle in the Clouds several times this week. It seems like more snowmobile trails are now available. I'm not sure if the snowmobilers are aware that the LRCT also "closed" 6 to 8 miles of hiking trails after they purchased the property. However, some of these trails have been re-blazed, upgraded, and re-opened - there's even a new trail of about 1/2 mile length off the main trail that runs from the parking area on Rt 171 to Shannon Pond.

In my view, hikers and snowmobilers are natural allies. We seem to be the only ones that ever take responsibility for the maintainance or creation of trails. I've never seen any of the equestrians, ATVers, or mountain bikers that use our trails volunteer for maintenance.
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2006, 07:58 AM   #5
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

We often come accross Xcountry skiers that are using the snowmobile trails,as most of you do,also.Most are very nice and give a wave while others give you a glare,like we don't belong there and are interupting their enjoyment.And I'm thinking....where were you when it was time to clear these trails.....this IS a snowmobile trail.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2006, 03:24 PM   #6
Skip

Question How can we find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.H.E. Binz
...I've been up to the LRCT property at Castle in the Clouds several times this week. It seems like more snowmobile trails are now available...
After reading your post I spoke to several area snowmobile club officers to confirm if indeed the LRCT had re-opened any trails.

According to my sources, as of as late as this past Friday there has been no re-opening of any of the closed trails within the area we are discussing.

Can anyone from the LRCT out there correct me if I am wrong, and verify which trails will be re-opened to snowmobilers this winter?

Only 47 more days till the season opens!
Old 10-30-2006, 12:44 PM   #7
whtmtn

Nice to see a few folks posting some information on the Castle Area.
My view is that having the primary trail (15) is great, though having some of the lookouts back in the mix would be wonderful. If you have been up there where the other trails intersect like Black Snout, Faraway, Roberts you'll see that it is a very long hike to get to those trailheads.
Two winters ago...No Riding up there last year, there were no tracks on those trails from hikers, snowshoes or X-Country. Believe me I understand! I'm a looooooonnnnnnggggg time hiker. That switchback trail to get to those trailheads is a real stinker. I wouldn't want to do it in winter. Even in summer I'd call it a moderate difficulty trail.
Just seems a shame that an area that was so popular a draw for the surrounding communities winter business and an awesome recreational outlet for snowmobiling families has been lost.
Again being an active snowmobile club member from the area I have to promote the idea that the trail building and maintenance during a 12 month stretch for MAYBE 8-10 weeks of snowmobiling is a really nice trade off.

Just want all of you to know why I care about this issue. It is beautiful up there. The views in the winter are something to really see.

The local Snowmobile Clubs and the State did such a great job up there over the years. I just wish that working relationship could be re-established.
whtmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:00 PM   #8
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Do Not Quote Me On This?

There has been some talk of a re-route around the switch backs to get traffic off the vertical climbs. The objective would be to create a less aggressive vertical climb and establish a one way up and one down section to eliminate the tearing up of the trail and make it safer for snowmobiles going in either direction. This would be similar to how the Trails are routed on RED HILL.

As for RED HILL and The Castle it is status quo. Every things seams to be going well with the Trust this season.

You may want to contact the Bureau of Trails, your local Bureau of Trails County Director or NHSA (they are still busy unpacking for their August move to Tilton). I would say check the NHSA website, but that’s been down since June or The SnowTravler, but seams to arrive after most of the EVENTS have happened.

WINNOCTURN

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 10-31-2006 at 04:35 PM.
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 10:19 PM   #9
DRH

Default NHSA Site Is Up

Here's the URL: http://www.nhsa.com/
Old 11-01-2006, 05:43 AM   #10
Skip

Unhappy The link is up but no one is home!

Unfortunatley, while the home page displays correctly, none of the organization's links work.

The links to outside agencies still perform correctly.

The organization's links have been intermittent for several years now and have been completely down since last spring.

And yes, they are aware of this situation as many members have been alerting them for months now!
Old 11-01-2006, 07:07 AM   #11
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default "alerting" Nhsa?

Skip,

I do not know if "alerting" is a strong enough word. The correspondence I have had with NHSA both by e-mail and face to face probably boarders on harassment. I do not know what their replies to you have been, but I really am not buying what I have been told.

WINNOCTURN
Old 11-03-2006, 08:25 AM   #12
Skip

Question Castle in the Clouds

Checked again last night with several local club officers and officials, according to them there has been no communications from the folks at the LRCT regarding trail status this upcoming snowmobiling season.

Official trail openings (weather & state/local officials permitting) is little over a month away and many families are deep into their planning stages for winter vacation activities.

I know some of the great folks that post & peruse here are members of the LRCT. Does anyone out there have any insight into the trail system issue for this upcoming season, or maybe have the ability to poke a hole in the apparent log jamb regarding communications here?

I know a lot of folks out there would apreciate any help or additional information on the issue!

Thanks,

Skip
Old 11-04-2006, 03:58 PM   #13
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Who's In Charge?

Skip,

Try these two addresses, New Hampshire Bureau of Trails: nhtrails@dred.state.nh.us and The New Hampshire Division of Parks and Recreation, : nhparks@dred.state.nh.us , (603) 271-3556. They are the ones who would be negotiating with the Trust as to the Insurance issues and would there for know what trails would be open at the Castle? The Trust has a full time “Land use Coordinator” that we deal with directly here in Moultonboro and have had a very good working relationship this season.

WINNOCTURN

Last edited by WINNOCTURN; 11-06-2006 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #14
yacker

It would be great to see a few of the old trails opened up again.
yacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 07:45 PM   #15
Skip

Smile Open'em all up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yacker
It would be great to see a few of the old trails opened up again.
It would be even greater to see all off the old trails opened up again!
Old 11-17-2006, 12:43 PM   #16
yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
It would be even greater to see all off the old trails opened up again!
Unfortunately I don't see that happening anytime soon. Keep in mind where the trust got some of the $$$ to purchase the property. From what I have been told the Sierra Club is one of many that donated $$$ for the Castle property. As you know they are against motorized recreation.
yacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:40 PM   #17
Lakegeezer

Default Sandwich Wilderness?

Have you seen that parts of the Sandwich Range were voted by congress to be designated as wilderness. From the press release, The land would remain as White Mountain National Forest land under the protection of the National Wilderness Preservation System. Wilderness areas consist of federal lands that are permanently closed to such activities as mining, logging, road construction, vehicular traffic, and building construction. There are some great snowmobile trails that currently go up through Sandwich notch, and branch east and west. The eastern branch ends up near the junction of Route 16 and 25 in Ossipee. I believe the western branch ends up in Meredith. I haven't seen a map that shows the boundaries to be closed to vehicular traffic. Winter access via snowmobile to NH lands is getting squeezed on one side by the short seasons brought on by the climate change and by legislation on the other.
Old 11-19-2006, 09:02 AM   #18
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer
Have you seen that parts of the Sandwich Range were voted by congress to be designated as wilderness. From the press release, The land would remain as White Mountain National Forest land under the protection of the National Wilderness Preservation System. Wilderness areas consist of federal lands that are permanently closed to such activities as mining, logging, road construction, vehicular traffic, and building construction. There are some great snowmobile trails that currently go up through Sandwich notch, and branch east and west. The eastern branch ends up near the junction of Route 16 and 25 in Ossipee. I believe the western branch ends up in Meredith. I haven't seen a map that shows the boundaries to be closed to vehicular traffic. Winter access via snowmobile to NH lands is getting squeezed on one side by the short seasons brought on by the climate change and by legislation on the other.
Thats very disappointing news. Theres some great camping up there thats relatively easily accessed by 4x4 vehicles.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:57 PM   #19
The Big Kahuna

Default National Peservation System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy
Thats very disappointing news. Theres some great camping up there thats relatively easily accessed by 4x4 vehicles.
FYI, they do not prevent recreational activities such as snowmobiling although they have asked that they be cleaner and quieter.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 06:10 PM   #20
Skip

Exclamation No machines in a wilderness area....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna
FYI, they do not prevent recreational activities such as snowmobiling although they have asked that they be cleaner and quieter.
Sorry, all motorized equipment (including snowmobiles) are strictly prohibited in a designated wilderness area.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:27 PM   #21
The Big Kahuna

Default That is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
Sorry, all motorized equipment (including snowmobiles) are strictly prohibited in a designated wilderness area.
You are right Skip, I was thinking about National Forests.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2006, 09:49 AM   #22
Rayhunt

Default Mt Shaw

Mt Shaw used to be our favorite local rides when we can cross the lake, and was for a very long time. Things change I guess. Thankful I can still hike it
Rayhunt is offline   Reply With Quote