Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 11-16-2006, 06:27 PM   #1
Skip

Post State still mulling hearing data...

According to the Citizen/Foster's Daily Democrat the State hearings officer assigned to the September 25th hearing is still compiling data before submitting a final package to Commissioner Flynn. There is no prescribed time table for the Commissioner to review and make a final decision, he must only do so "in a reasonable manner".

Full story can be read HERE.

Skip
Old 11-17-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
fatlazyless

Default ....a little reason & understanding!

My crystal ball tells me it will be decided in the legislature, after the Dept of Safety issues its' opinion on the submitted petition.

As you know both the house & senate have gone from a Republican to a Democratic majority. The state senate is now 14-10 with five lady Democrats having defeated gentlemen Republican incumbents.

Hopefully, reason and understanding will prevail, and the senate will recognize that high speed motorboating is good for the local economy and is not a lake-wide safety issue.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
My crystal ball tells me it will be decided in the legislature, after the Dept of Safety issues its' opinion on the submitted petition.

As you know both the house & senate have gone from a Republican to a Democratic majority. The state senate is now 14-10 with five lady Democrats having defeated gentlemen Republican incumbents.

Hopefully, reason and understanding will prevail, and the senate will recognize that high speed motorboating is good for the local economy and is not a lake-wide safety issue.
You seem to be confusing the Senate with the House.

The Senate voted against the speed limit bill, while the House passed it; or, are you wishfully hoping that the new group of Dems will vote with reason and understanding?

If so, perhaps my will should request I be buried wearing ice skates...
Old 11-17-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default No rush

Speed all you want this time of year. The water is high, and the traffic is light. And, hardly anyone around to complain about it.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
Seadoo

Quote:
Hopefully, reason and understanding will prevail, and the senate will recognize that high speed motor boating is good for the local economy and is not a lake-wide safety issue.
I 110% agree with you
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
Gavia immer

Default A thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip
According to the Citizen/Foster's Daily Democrat the State hearings officer assigned to the September 25th hearing is still compiling data before submitting a final package to Commissioner Flynn. There is no prescribed time table for the Commissioner to review and make a final decision, he must only do so "in a reasonable manner".

Full story can be read HERE.

Skip
IF I had Commissioner Flynn's ear, I'd suggest that unlimited speeds be permitted in the deepest parts of the lake.

Most recreational boating is concentrated in the various bays and coves which are generally shallower than, say, 100 feet. Enforcement could concentrate in the areas that transition from deep to shallow.

And Bizer could sell a lot of charts!
Old 12-11-2006, 12:50 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee
Default Just looking for an update

Has anyone heard any updates. I know the hearing was quite a while ago, and I am just wondering if data is still being looked over....

Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #8
fatlazyless

Default ...in today's newspaper!

Starting on the front page of today's Dec 11 Laconia Daily Sun, there's an article titled

Boat speed bill has yet to pick up Senate sponsor

by Michael Kitch

CONCORD - The effort to impose boating speed limits on New Hampshire lakes which was amoung the heaviest lobbied and hotly contested issues of the last legislative session, will be renewed early this year.
On Friday, at the request of the Winnipesaukee Family Alliance for Boating Safety (WinnFABs), the grass roots organization that has spearheaded the campaign, Representative Sid Lovett (D-Holderness) introduced a bill to set a day time speed limit of 45 mph and a night time speed limit of 25 mph, on all lakes.
Last spring similar legislation (House Bill 162), sponsored by Representative Jim Pilliod (R-Belmont), passed the House of Representatives by a margin of 193 to 139 only to fail in the Senate by 15 to 9, as only three members of the Republican majority voted for it.
This year, WinnFABs encouraged that the election returned a Democratic majority to the Senate, planned to file the bill in the upper chamber, but with the deadline for senators to introduce legislation a week away, has yet to find a senator to sponsor it. Sandy Helve of WinnFABs declined to comment, beyond indicating that efforts to enlist support for a bill in the Senate have not been exhausted.
Newly elected senators Deb Reynolds (D-Plymouth) and Kathy Sgambati (D-Tilton), who represent the western and southern shore of Lake Winnipesaukee, said they had not been approached about sponsoring legislation.
"I don't know anything about the bill," Reynolds said, "but I would like to see what Sid's (Lovett's) bill says and I would certainly consider supporting it."
Sgambati recalled that she discussed several issues at length with representatives of the New Hampshire Lakes Association (NHLA), but speed limts "never came up." However, she said that "I have no problem supporting a speed limit on Lake Winnipesaukee,"though she had reservations about imposing a uniform speed limit throughout the state.
Jared Teutsch, president of the NHLA, confirmed that although the organization "supports speed limits 100-percent,"the bill was not part of its legislative agenda. He said that the NHLA was encouraging municipalities to petition the New Hampshire Department of Safety (DOS) to invoke its authority to restrict the speed of boats through rule-making. He said that while the NHLA supports "45/25", the standard may not be the most appropriate for all lakes.
At a hearing held in Meredith last September after residents of the eight municipalities surrounding Lake Winnipesaukee petitioned the DOS to use its administrative power to set speed limits on the lake, Reynolds and Sgambati, who were then senate candidates, spoke in favor of the proposal. Over the weekend, both said they were waiting the outcome of the petition process at the DOS. "I am hoping to see what the commissioner will do," Reynolds said adding that she would be asking Commissioner Dick Flynn for "a status report."
The election results would appear to have shortened the odds in favor of a speed limit bill, without however making it a sure bet. When the bill passed the house, where Democrats now hold the majority, 114 Democrats voted in favor and only 14 against.
In the Senate, six of the 13 Republicans who voted against the bill last spring - Rob Boyce, Dick Green, Bob Flanders, Tom Eaton, Andre Martel, and Chuck Morse - lost their seats in November while two of the three Republicans who supported it - Joe Kenney and Bob Odell - were re-elected. Carl Johnson was the lone supporter of the bill not to be re-elected.
Amoung the Democrats, the two senators who opposed the bill - David Gottesman and Lou D'Allesandro return.

Thankyou Laconia Daily Sun and Michael Kitch and this is the entire article.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 12-11-2006 at 08:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-11-2006, 08:26 PM   #9
Rayhunt

Default Maybe

Since when are plymouth and Tilton bordering the lake
Old 12-12-2006, 10:05 AM   #10
fatlazyless

Default ...Senate districts

Senator Kathy Sgambati's (D-Tilton) senate district includes amoung many other towns, the Winnipesaukee waterfront towns of Alton, Gilford and Laconia. As you probably know, she defeated 'Coach' Jim Fitzgerald (R-Laconia), in a very close race, who had defeated Rob Boyce (R-Alton) in the September primary.

Senator Deb Reynolds' (D-Plymouth) senate district includes amoung many other towns, the Winnipesaukee waterfront towns of Centre Harbor and Meredith. She defeated Carl Johnson (R-Meredith) in a close race.

Someone correct me if I am incorrect, but I recall that both candidates Kathy Sgambati and Deb Reynolds were present and spoke at the Sept 25 speed limits hearing, held at the Meredith Community Center, while both Representative 'Coach' Jim Fitzgerald and Senator Carl Johnson were 'no-shows.' Too baaaaaaad, they couldn't make it!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-03-2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: spell check- just one t in Sgambati,,,,,,,sorry!
Old 12-12-2006, 10:53 AM   #11
Rayhunt

Default Blind leading the blind

Both of whom admit they know nothing about the issue ..IE NON BOATERS ! legislating boating laws ???

Last edited by Rayhunt; 12-13-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Default from today's December 12th Union Leader

Speed limit on large lakes proposed in new bill

45 mph/25 mph: Limits would be put on Winnipesaukee, Winnisquam, Newfound, Sunapee and Wentworth lakes.

By Roger Amsden
Union Leader Correspondent

HOLDERNESS - A bill that would establish a daytime speed limit of 45 miles per hour and a nighttime speed limit of 25 miles per hour on New Hampshire's largest lakes has been filed by a state Rep. Sidney Lovett, guaranteeing that the hotly contested issue will once again be debated in the state Legislature.

Lovett, D-Holderness, said he introduced the bill last week at the request of the Winnipesaukee Family Alliance for Boating Safety, which spearheaded an effort which culminated with the 193-139 vote for the speed limit on all New Hampshire lakes earlier this year in the New Hampshire House. But the bill was defeated 15-9 in the Senate, where it received the vote of only three members of the Republican majority.

Lovett says that the bill, which would set speed limits on Lake Winnipesaukee, Lake Winnisquam, Newfound Lake, Lake Sunapee and Lake Wentworth, has a good chance of passage in both the House and the Senate, both of which are now controlled by the Democrats.

Only one large lake in the state, 6,700-acre Squam lake, currently has a speed limit - 40 miles per hour during the day and 20 mph at night.

Lovett said he is basically filing the same legislation that was passed by the house last year and was originally introduced by Rep. James Pilliod, R- Belmont.

"We're cleaning up the language about tidal waters," said Lovett, who noted that the original bill had included only Lake Winnipesaukee but had been extended to all lakes in the state by a House committee which held extensive hearings on the proposal during the summer of 2005.

.................................................. ....

Thankyou Union Leader and Roger Amsden
.................................................. ....

If this new proposed bill actually becomes law then maybe Lake Umbagog, way up north close to Errol NH, could become the go-to spot for the high horsepower performance boats. Lake Umbagog is very large, has a very undeveloped shoreline and is mostly empty of boaters. Senator John Gallus, R-Berlin, voted against HB162 last year so maybe he would welcome perfomance boats to his North Country district's Lake Umbagog.

A park for all-terrain-vehicle which will have 250 miles of ATV trails is just getting started in nearby Berlin so maybe the economy up north would welcome performance boaters as well. What with the paper mill in Berlin closing down, their economy can seriously use some help.

The North Country is a terrific place! It's still a lot like the old rural New Hampshire that no longer exists much in the central area of the state, down below the Notches.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:50 PM   #13
The Big Kahuna

Default Why do they care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayhunt
Both of whom admit they know nothing about the isue ..IE NON BOATERS ! legislating boating laws ???
Can anyone tell me why anyone who does not own a boat or live right on the lake, care about speed limits or any other boating law? Why would they want to be involved in these issues?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:37 AM   #14
Rayhunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna
Can anyone tell me why anyone who does not own a boat or live right on the lake, care about speed limits or any other boating law? Why would they want to be involved in these issues?
Most of the proponents are not even voting residents . Its just like the folks who move to the small towns around the lake and want the same ammenities they had in Ma or Ct or whatever metropolis they came from, driving taxes through the roof.. All you have to do is use the old "My civil liberties" argument. Theres is that they are scared to leave the dock.
It also eminates from Meredith .. Where the "C-Man" owns the town..
They are now adding a round a bout to the slowest section of road around the lake
http://meredithnh.org/pdfdocs/RoundaboutInfo.pdf
Doing nothing but slowing the flow of traffic through his shopping district.
Wake up folks !
Old 12-15-2006, 10:53 AM   #15
SBC

Default Non Boating Legislators

Big K, we can only hope that they are acting on the wonderful concept known as ...of the people, by the people, for the people... rather than their own personal interests. Now that would be different!

Not up on my US Constitution but think words similar to that are in there. I think the 'deep water' allowance would not be a good thing. Maybe this will all go away like it did last year but we may have to figure out a way to oil those squeaky door hinges.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:32 AM   #16
Rayhunt

And hope they dont buy the hyperbole. There is no need for a lakewide speed limit. There are a small number of bays, channels etc that (on busy weekends) need a speed limit. I spend around 250-300 hours a year on the lake.
Any occassional problems on the lake can only be eliminated by education.
IMHO a weight limit should be established or speed limit enforced for any boat over say 12000 Lbs ..
Old 12-15-2006, 11:35 AM   #17
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Kahuna
They are Representatives, they are supposed to represent the desires of the majority of their constituents, good or bad.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 AM   #18
robmac

Default speed

Through out this process has any thought been given to the Marinas. How do you operate a business when you can't order product because you may not be able to sell it. The economic effect of thes drawn out processes do have a large negative effect on the econmy in NH. I do not own a GFBL vessel but question the ability to enforce such limits.Let the voters at large make a decision once and for all and move on which would be the democratic way to solve this issue.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:18 PM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Default Not a valid concern

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac
Through out this process has any thought been given to the Marinas. How do you operate a business when you can't order product because you may not be able to sell it.
Rob, Weather or not the state passes a speed law should not cause an issue and delay the marinas in ordering product. A just like a car dealer sells a car that can go way beyond the speed limits a marina can sell a boat that will do the same. It is up to the owner to operate the car/ or in this case boat within the limits of the law.

I for one will not allow the speed limit effect any boat purchase I make, if I like (and I do) the GFBL type boats I will still by one. I will just have to make sure I obey any speed law that my come about. And for all that matters my current boat which isn't even a GFBL, will still break the speed limits they are suggesting.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:21 PM   #20
DONZI

Date: 12/18/2006, Posted On: 12/18/2006

New Hampshire tries, again, to enforce speed limits on waterways
New Hampshire State Rep. Christopher Algren pre-filed a bill in the state legislature that may seek to establish a boating speed limit on New Hampshire’s inland waters, the National Marine Manufacturers Association reports.

This year, the Legislature narrowly rejected a bill that would have set a 45-mph daytime speed limit and a 25-mph speed limit at night.

The NMMA opposed previous efforts to establish a speed limit as an unenforceable and ineffective reaction to concerns about on-water safety and wake-induced erosion.

Also in New Hampshire, a bill has been pre-filed that would require children under 12 to wear life jackets.
Attached Images

Last edited by DONZI; 01-06-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #21
Phantom

Donzi ----

I love it ---- I couldn't stop smiling

The Poster Says it all..............
Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 AM   #22
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin
Rob, Weather or not the state passes a speed law should not cause an issue and delay the marinas in ordering product. A just like a car dealer sells a car that can go way beyond the speed limits a marina can sell a boat that will do the same. It is up to the owner to operate the car/ or in this case boat within the limits of the law.

I for one will not allow the speed limit effect any boat purchase I make, if I like (and I do) the GFBL type boats I will still by one. I will just have to make sure I obey any speed law that my come about. And for all that matters my current boat which isn't even a GFBL, will still break the speed limits they are suggesting.
I do somewhat agree with Rob on this one. After speaking with a few marinas on the lake they are already tailoring their inventory for next season just in case it does fly. Shep Brown's for instance has basically dropped the Sunsation line of boats (GFBL). It's a shame, they are beautiful, well crafted boats but they definitely feel the demand for these will decrease sharply if this passes. I am sure that this would have a negative effect on Silver Sands and Channel, although Silver Sands in general does enough business in other brands that they will be fine.

I am noticing a lot less larger used GFBL's on the market on the lake this year as opposed to last. I was shopping hard last fall and became well aquainted with the inventory for sale on the lake, this year there is not much of anything used over 30' long in performance boats. I guess I shouldda bought the Summa Humma when I had the chance...
Old 12-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Default True

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671
I do somewhat agree with Rob on this one. After speaking with a few marinas on the lake they are already tailoring their inventory for next season just in case it does fly. Shep Brown's for instance has basically dropped the Sunsation line of boats (GFBL). It's a shame, they are beautiful, well crafted boats but they definitely feel the demand for these will decrease sharply if this passes. I am sure that this would have a negative effect on Silver Sands and Channel, although Silver Sands in general does enough business in other brands that they will be fine.

I am noticing a lot less larger used GFBL's on the market on the lake this year as opposed to last. I was shopping hard last fall and became well aquainted with the inventory for sale on the lake, this year there is not much of anything used over 30' long in performance boats. I guess I shouldda bought the Summa Humma when I had the chance...
Codeman, I do agree that there will be some tailoring if a law passes, I just don't think for most of the marinas that it is an overwhelming concern that will have them panicing. Also I believe there is another force at work that has some of the marinas shuffling there lines around, Gas prices are affecting boat buyers as well. For those of us that are totally in love with boating the Gas prices will never detour us from getting what we want. But for some casual boaters that only go out a handful of times a year, the gas now has an effect on thier pocket.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:54 PM   #24
Cal

Quote:
For those of us that are totally in love with boating the Gas prices will never detour us from getting what we want. But for some casual boaters that only go out a handful of times a year, the gas now has an effect on thier pocket.

Could be just the opposite too. If I only used mine a half dozen times a year , gas prices wouldn't matter. $3.00 a gallon would be no big deal. I had a hard time last summer spending 1 to 2 hundred dollars a weekend in gas. What I did was tow closer to my destination before launching. Truck gets 13 mpg towing , boat gets 1.25 mpg. The savings adds up quick
Old 12-19-2006, 09:16 PM   #25
The Big Kahuna

Default Economic hard times

Quote:

I was talking with one of the marinas this past month, this issue is killing their boat business for all boats, not just the GFBLs. This bill is putting an economic hold on the top marinas on this lake. They are the ones that are suffering because they don't have a choice, they sell what they sell. This whole issue is not fair to them, they have families to feed and bills to pay, this bill is going to put a lot of them out of work. The state will then have to pay to re-train them, and pay their un-employment. Another economic problem to deal with. A lot of the people supporting this bill are business owners, how would they feel if a bill was passed that effected their business.
Not a like thing to do to their neighbors.
Old 01-01-2007, 03:15 PM   #26
fatlazyless

Default Sundays, 10am -1pm........... compromise!

It appears to me that a new 45day-25night speed limit will most likely become law with the new incoming Democratic controlled house, senate & executive, not to mention the gov's council and both congressman (O-boy, is that great or what!), and former Gov Jeanne Shaheen will be challenging Sen Sununu in two years!

Anywho, considering that the go fast-be loud motorboats contribute to the local economy in a number of ways including motels, marinas, restaurants and others, maybe the new law should allow for a go fast- be loud area zone and time slot. After all, Lake Winnipesaukee has been a go fast-be loud venue for many years.

I recommend Sundays from 10am to 1pm, and from the Marine Patrol headquarters in Gilford to Buoy 3 in Meredith, and back and forth! How's this all sound?
Old 01-01-2007, 06:20 PM   #27
Cal

Quote:
I recommend Sundays from 10am to 1pm, and from the Marine Patrol headquarters in Gilford to Buoy 3 in Meredith, and back and forth! How's this all sound?

That doesn't even merit a response , although I'm sure there are plenty being thought of
Old 01-29-2007, 01:35 PM   #28
LIforrelaxin

Default What is the latest....

Has anyone seen anymore on this sensitive subject in the local Papers over there in NH.......