Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 12-16-2005, 09:02 PM   #1
Island Lover

Default The Island Influence

I have been reading these posts and noticed that a majority of island residents favor the speed limit. I remember that last summer the Bear Island association with about 100 members voted unanimously to support the new law.

Anybody know why this is?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
chase1

Must have to do with the water on Bear Island.

I am on Cow Island and feel strongly against the proposal.

Chase1
Old 12-16-2005, 10:25 PM   #3
Orion

Default Islanders

Maybe it's because islanders MUST go boating to get to their houses and would like to have as much sanity out there as possible. They can't generally just wait for things to quiet down. The waterways are more transportation than recreation much of the time.
Old 12-17-2005, 09:13 AM   #4
Islander

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase1
Must have to do with the water on Bear Island.

I am on Cow Island and feel strongly against the proposal.

Chase1
On Bear Island we drink lake water. Which is another reason to dislike boating proliferation.

Last July chase1 told us he worked in the boating industry, that reason may override his islandership.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:02 AM   #5
chase1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
On Bear Island we drink lake water. Which is another reason to dislike boating proliferation.

Last July chase1 told us he worked in the boating industry, that reason may override his islandership.
Islander,

islandership???? What is this you speak of??? I do work in the boating industry and like to see boats of all types in use. Part of the reason we enjoy the island so much is the way we need to use our boats.

Chase1
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2005, 11:31 AM   #6
Bear Lover

To answer the original question, I think being an "islander" is a very different experience than the main land, and that leads to a different way of thinking. The lake is in our front yard, not our back yard. Getting the paper in the morning, calling 911 and play dates for the kids, all require a boat trip. Children regularly operate power boats.

Island boats range from a 12' aluminum with HP to a 21' bowrider. Sometimes a pontoon boat that doubles as a barge. Very few performance boats.

Noise is a factor, so is pollution of our drinking water and the general direction the lake is taking. However safety IS the #1 concern.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
JTA

Default Noise and wake vs. speed

As an islander, I am neither here nor there on the speed limit. Performance boats only bother me when they are very loud and I think there is already a law on the books about that. What bothers me most are very large cruiser-style boats that plow huge wakes while the operators don't seem to give a #*!%.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:44 AM   #8
chase1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Lover
Noise is a factor, so is pollution of our drinking water and the general direction the lake is taking. However safety IS the #1 concern.

If safety is the #1 concern, shouldn't we propose the state addresses the #1 or #2 or even #3 or #4 safety issues instead of talking about a speed limit? I would think as an "islander" one would want to see money spent where it will be most effective?

Chase1
Old 12-19-2005, 04:42 PM   #9
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger
On Bear Island one of their residents was killed by a so called performance boat. This is the only reason they are pushing for a speed limit.

I live on an island and oppose the speed limit. Very easy to get to the mainland if you use a little common sense.
Amen!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islander
On Mark we drink it too, although being that our pump is in 20+ feet of water we do not have any water problems. I will be adding a purification system this year but it is more for bacteria and silt. Our water quaility was actually very good.

I do not see any correlation between the type of boat and pollution even though some like to push this. Small outboards probably dump as much if not more waste into the lake than a large GHFBL. Just look at the slicks that come off a 2 stroke outboard...