Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
pjard

Default Spar bouy near Christmas Island

So I feel like an idiot asking this question but here goes. There is a red spar bouy as you enter the cove near Christmas Island. Red meaning pass on the south or west...right? Got that...but the problem is there are some MONSTER rocks on the west side of the bouy. I came to a dead stop, thought for sure I got confused on the directions or something. I looked at the bouy again, it was still red (haha) and I was about 20 feet to the west of it. I pulled out my Bizer chart and sure enough it shows the rocks directly to the west of the spar bouy. Is the bouy wrong? Did it move? Did I do something wrong? I had plenty of water because the lake is so high and the boat doesn't draw much so I really never came close but I am scratching my head on this one. Thought/comments?
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
ITD

Red over white, south or west. Black over white, north or east. Solid Red, go between it and its corresponding solid black buoy. Sometimes the other buoy is missing. Without looking at the chart or the area, could you be seeing a solid red buoy?
ITD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #3
pjard

Default Nope, it's not a channel marker, I thought of that.

But I can't say that with 100% certainty. I'm going back tomorrow to look at it again. This is really bugging me (I need more hobies I think)
Old 07-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
HellRaZoR004

According to Bizer that is a red & white buoy. Very confusing as directly west would be Christmas Island and a big rock, the North would be the bay.

The chart to me looks like it would be deeper to the east (against what you would expect for that buoy). I would be cautious there and ask others in the cove.
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
salesguy77

Default markers

The second marker used to be a No Wake marker. I'm not sure if the decal fell off or not. If you enter the cove the markers should be on your left. When leaving the cover the markers should be on your right. There are rocks between the markers and Christmas Island.
Old 07-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
WeirsBeachBoater

I have questioned that buoy for years. No matter what it says you want to not go on the Christmas Island side of it. Huge rocks. This may be one to call MP and question.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #7
SIKSUKR

Many markers locations have the same ambiguity. You do stay south of the marker but also east of it. If it was black you would have the same problem. Do I pass to the east or north? North would bring you on the wrong side also. This is actually quite common around the lake.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #8
pjard

Sounds like that entrance needs channel markers instead.