Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-29-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Tank151

Default Sawyer's in 2007

I ask this question every year...does anyone know if Sawyer's is going to open in 2007? Sure hope so?

Tank
Dunstable, MA
Tank151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:25 PM   #2
Island Life

Default Anyone?

Hmmm... I, too, am waiting for a reply to this question. Anyone?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
tricia1218

I wait for a reply to this question every year
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 AM   #4
joann721

Default sawyers

Strange that the subject of Sawyers come up on the Forum... Sunday in the Boston Globe we saw that the property is available for sale as a business opportunity. So the rumors that Patrick purchased it apparently are not true and the business is still available for sale..

Frustration is trying to find my glasses without my glasses.
joann721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
shamrock

Default Sawyers

A friend of mine works for Irving Oil told me that they purchased it last year it is going to be a gas station and store, Sawyers agreed to one more year[2006] for whatever reason
shamrock
Old 02-01-2007, 09:58 AM   #6
Island Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamrock
A friend of mine works for Irving Oil told me that they purchased it last year it is going to be a gas station and store, Sawyers agreed to one more year[2006] for whatever reason
shamrock
Probably not true since the For Sale sign has been out there all year and, I believe, is still there. I heard last summer that the Irving deal fell through for a few different reasons, one of which had to do with the water table (or something like that) being such that a gas station would be inappropriate for that location.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
nerual721

Default Irving Deal

You are correct about the Irving Deal - the senior Mr. & (the late) Mrs. Sawyer often came for lunch in the off season to the Lyons' Den - I am the owner and often lunch waitress - Mr. Sawyer told me that the town of Gilford did not approve the Irving plan so the deal fell through - I expect they will open again around Memorial Day - unless someone comes up with the $1.7M between now and then.
nerual721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:34 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerual721
- I am the owner and often lunch waitress - - unless someone comes up with the $1.7M between now and then.
I can see the new name: Sawyers Den
Great job at the Lyons Den!
Old 02-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #9
Weirs guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Life
Probably not true since the For Sale sign has been out there all year and, I believe, is still there.
The for sale sign is still out front.

Now?
Weirs guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
jrc

Default True or False

In another thread, someone mentioned condos replacing Sawyer's. Anyone have reliable info?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:34 AM   #11
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Arrow

....asking $1,399,000

REAL ESTATE AD

Quote:
A LAKES REGION ICON, SAWYER S DAIRY BAR HAS FULFILLED THE CRAVINGS OF VACATIONERS AND RESIDENTS FOR A HALF CENTURY. FAMOUS FOR HOMEMADE ICE CREAM AND DELICIOUS SEAFOOD, THIS VERY PROFITABLE SEASONAL LANDMARK IS FOR SALE AS A TURNKEY INVESTMENT

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 09:49 AM   #12
EricP

Maybe the new owners will setup CC processing. I am amazed in this day and age there are still businesses that are cash only. Usually that means they are cooking the books.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricP
Maybe the new owners will setup CC processing. I am amazed in this day and age there are still businesses that are cash only. Usually that means they are cooking the books.
Actually, what it means is that they are not willing to part with 1.5% or more of their credit card business, which for a seasonal business can be substantial. If the business grosses $15000 per week in credit card sales, it would cost them $225. In that business, if they are open for 12 weeks, that's $2700. They also have the cost of the c.c. machine, telephone line, extra time to process the transaction, etc.,...weighed against the fact that people have been going to their establishment for many years, they know it is a cash only business, if they don't have to spend nearly $3K to keep their clients happy, they won't. Not about cooking the books!!!!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:17 PM   #14
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee
Actually, what it means is that they are not willing to part with 1.5% or more of their credit card business, which for a seasonal business can be substantial. If the business grosses $15000 per week in credit card sales, it would cost them $225. In that business, if they are open for 12 weeks, that's $2700. They also have the cost of the c.c. machine, telephone line, extra time to process the transaction, etc.,...weighed against the fact that people have been going to their establishment for many years, they know it is a cash only business, if they don't have to spend nearly $3K to keep their clients happy, they won't. Not about cooking the books!!!!
It's all tax deductible, I personally call it arrogance. I realize that may seem harsh, but it's my opinion and I am entitled to that. $3k isn't a lot of money in the overall picture of doing business, especially when it is part of the costs anyway and therefore reduces tax liability. It all works out.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:16 PM   #15
Island Life

Unhappy I disagree

Quote:
Usually that means they are cooking the books.
No, not in my experience. I'd be surprised to hear this family was doing something as nefarious as that.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:27 PM   #16
secondcurve

Upthesaukee:

You are correct about credit card fees. That being said, I bet there isn't a cash only business in NH that reports all of its income. Unfortunately, that is the problem with our tax system. Folks who get paid in cash rarely report everything. That is a fact.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:02 PM   #17
GWC...

Quote:
Sawyers uses a CC - the Universal CC - cash.

Perhaps you are a little short in that department and hence the inference.

Also, CC default is at record levels. Cash has yet to default.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:19 AM   #18
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I have to take issue with you on the "cash only" policy.If you had ever been audited by NH Dept of Revenue,you'd know that cooking the books is not a smart idea.If you are not using a P.O.S. system ,you must prove your sales with numerical guest checks....and they BETTER match the daily sales.Also,revenue agents know within a point or two what the food cost should be depending on the type of restaurant that you are.Mostly,people are only trying to save the 3 to 5 % that goes to the credit card companies....as much as 75K annually,and that ain't chump change.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:35 AM   #19
fatlazyless

Default CASHONLY reduced to CASHLY so it fits, thanks

No doubt the state auditors have lots of experience and run a tight New Hampshire ship. That reminds me of a five year old story about a well known Massachusetts restauranter who had a brand new BMW suv with the Mass vanity plate, CASHLY. Talk about flaunting it, and isn't it amazing that he would not care about attracting unwanted revenuer attention. Nice set of wheels even if it's not too good on gas.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-19-2007 at 09:57 PM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #20
Resident 2B

Default Not a Mas Plate

FLL,

If the plate was CashOnly it could not have been a Mass plate. Mass only allows six characters in their plates.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 06:46 PM   #21
secondcurve

Fatlazyless:

Thanks for underscoring my point. Sam, you certainly may correct in some instances, but I still think a lot of people running cash only businesses are doing so to avoid some level of taxation.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 07:15 PM   #22
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

You may be right ,Secondcurve,but most people that I know who are in business are afraid to grab 5 bucks out of petty cash without a receipt.
Reason being ........rooms and meals is collected FOR the state of NH and does not belong to the restaurant operator.Therefore,failing to report sales can land you in the barbed wire hotel.It's a different story if you can't pay taxes due to some onforseen problem.As long as you have reported accurately,it is not a crime but you will be charged interest and penalties....pretty much the same as the IRS.....(gulp)
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote