Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #1
lakegirl

Thumbs up Ellacoya Barn and Grille

There is a new restaurant that opened called the Ellacoya Bar and Grill (right after the Victorian House)in Gilford. It is excellent. It is really cute inside... there is a beautiful fireplace and couches if you just want to releax and enjoy a drink. The best part .... it's all non smoking.

Last edited by lakegirl; 02-15-2005 at 06:43 PM.
lakegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 03:58 PM   #2
shamrock

Question Name Of Grill

I am pretty sure it's The Barn & Grill unless the owners changed their mind
as my wife and I have been waiting for this to open and the owners told us that it we be the grills name.

Last edited by shamrock; 02-15-2005 at 04:00 PM. Reason: none
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 09:50 PM   #3
GWC...

Wink Title says it all...

If you look at the title of lakegirl's post, you'll notice that it reads, "Ellacoya Barn and Grill" and she probably did a typo in the body of her post, as so many of us do.
GWC... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 07:28 AM   #4
shamrock

oops!!!! My fault, sorry Lakegirl
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 12:55 PM   #5
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default draughty Barn

I'm going to check this out. Right in my old neighborhood.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:33 PM   #6
mrskahuna

Thumbs up

I went the first weekend it opened. The atmosphere was outstanding. The food would have been excellent if it were hotter. We had a table of 4 and all of our meals were luke warm. Service was a little slow, but you have to expect a few kinks to be worked out during the first few weeks. I'll definitely go back soon!
mrskahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:35 PM   #7
Fun4us

Default re:Ellacoya Barn and Grill

I know where the Victorian House is ... Why cant I picture where this is? Please help!
Fun4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 06:22 PM   #8
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Default It just clicked....

Could this be the place they have been working on that is behind (and attached to....like a BARN, duh ) the Ellacoya Country Store?
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 07:42 PM   #9
DRH

Default You've Got It!

Yes, McD ... that's the place.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:45 PM   #10
mcdude

...noticed it this morning on my way by. Even stopped and took a photo for photopost. It looks rustic and charming!
Attached Images

Last edited by mcdude; 02-24-2005 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:45 AM   #11
mcdude

Default Barn & Grille Showcased by Chamber

see ARTICLE

Has anyone been yet? What did you think?
Old 05-19-2005, 08:03 AM   #12
DRH

Thumbs up Excellent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude
Has anyone been yet? What did you think?
A group of us went there for dinner last month. Some had prime rib, some had fish. Both the food and service were excellent, as was the atmosphere. Prices were reasonable.

The "Barn & Grille" is actually an old barn that has been renovated throughout, and the barn atmosphere has been retained. On the first floor are the bar and a few tables, as well as a sitting area with a beautiful stone fireplace. The main seating area is upstairs. My entire party was very satisfied with both the meal and the atmosphere. We'll definitely go back.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:48 PM   #13
hoytglp

Default Excellent

eleven of us ate there it was very good we will return
hoytglp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 04:03 PM   #14
BroadHopper

Thumbs up First visit

I finally made it to the barn Saturday night. It was packed, but I was able to get a seat at the bar. The barkeeps were friendly. The barmaid had an interesting background has her grandfather was a director for Stowe Mountain in VT. The food was excellent and reasonably priced. I was able to strike up an interesting conversation with a couple from Meredith that recently moved from Cape Cod.
I had a great time and visit again the next night. The staff was extremely busy that night and I had to wait for service. The kitchen was running out of food too. I'm sure this will be a learning experience for the new staff and they will be prepared next year. I met a couple that read the Winnipesaukee Forum frequently but are not members. They find it very informative.
A great place to meet people!
Old 05-31-2005, 06:20 PM   #15
Lake Lady 6

We stopped for dinner Thursday night. Very friendly staff, portions are large and the atmosphere very nice. Food was so - so. Think next time will try the sandwiches or pizza - was not impressed with the meal.
Willing to give it another try as it takes time to get up to speed.
Lake Lady 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:56 PM   #16
cellphoneman

Default Elogoya Barn

We went to the new Elogoya Barn Sat...party of 9. It started great, but ended terrible. Great place inside, warm atmosphere...the drinks were great, we ordered nachos, very good, but 4 people ordered ice tea, they only had one glass left. Our kids table got their apps (wings) with their dinner, one child did not get their dinner. 4 of us ordered the ribs, which while we were waiting in the bar and someone was eating them looked great, ours arrived cold and barely cooked, we sent them back--the watress packed them to go home. Rest of the food was ok, not worth going back for. When the bill came, there was an item on it we did not order and we had to speak to the manager about the ribs...he took them off the bill, but told us we could not take the doggy bags home!! And they were not nice...last time for us, too bad as the place is very nice inside...think the owners have alot of work to do on this one!
cellphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:31 PM   #17
Fishy Cover

Default So it's not just me

Three of us tried it ten days ago. Food was passable but nothing special. Hard to believe that they were out of Chardonnay. Service was unacceptably slow & poor-- for example the waitress did not clear the salad plates, brought two drinks, told us that they were out of one of the entrees we had ordered, and then brought the third drink. Entrees arrived at different times too. Definately off our list.
Fishy Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:12 AM   #18
BroadHopper

Thumbs down July 4th weekend.

A party of four arrived Sunday night. We found the place deserted. We ordered drinks at the bar and looked over the menu. When we ordered, just about everything we asked for, they were out. They do have a lot of work to do. Maybe Ramsey of Hell's Kitchen fame should show them what it takes to run a world class restuarant.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #19
cellphoneman

Default Ellacoya Or Ellagoya

If you look at the photo of this restuarant and the door, it seems it is spelled Ellagoya, but I would assume it should be Ellacoya...since it is down the street from the Ellacoya beach. Seems everyone states that they run out of food, it often arrives luke warm and they don't handle larger parties well. Let's see if someone goes in August....
cellphoneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 04:41 PM   #20
BroadHopper

Thumbs down breakfast

I had a party of seven people last Sunday morning. We decided to try out the Barn and grille after seeing the loooong line at Ames Farm. We should have waited there.
It took forever to find a waitress. When the waitress finally showed, we waited a long time for our drinks. The soda was flat, and my party had to go buy soda from the store. It was an hour from the time we settled down to the serving of the food. I think the waitress had to cook or something, as she was not in sight most of the time and people were leaving waiting for the waitress. The food was good but it was lukewarm or cold when served. We had to ask for silverware after the food was served. We waited for that. Later we had to ask for napkins. This place is much worst than Hell's Kitchen.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:20 PM   #21
The Big Kahuna

Default The worst

I went with a group of 8, we called in advance and were told a table was ready for us since it wasn't crowded. We left right away and were only 2 miles from the restaurant. When we got there they said our table was not ready and that it would be a couple of minute. We sat in the lounge area near the fireplace, 45 minutes went by, we asked hostess the status of the table and she told us it had been ready for some time, but she forgot to tell us. Once seated the horrors began. We ordered and waited, after 20 minutes the waitress came back to tell us the specials that were ordered were not longer available. So three people had to re-order. They started to bring salads and appetizers. When we told the waitress we didn't get one of the salads or a bowl of chili, she would not believe that she did not bring one of the salads because she had brought the dressing for the salad. She accused one of our party of eating the salad. The chili just got lost in the whole fiasco. The entrees arrived there were no baked potos, they had substituted rice with out any pre-warning. The meals were luke warm, one of the rib-eye steaks was not eatable because it was all grissle. The horror continues, the manager had to come and see why our waiteress had gotten all upset because of our complaining. When we told him of the goings on he responded by telling us our meal was free and that we should never come back again. We told him we would pay the bill, but wanted to come back because of how close he place is to us. We can always just sit in the lounge and eat finger food and hat some cocktails. He stormed off like a little girl having a hissy fit. All in all, a bad experience.
The Big Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 09:13 PM   #22
Pepper

Talking Things will change now!

I've just heard some great news regarding the Ellacoya Barn and Grille!

The young man who was managing the business has been replaced, just two weeks ago, with a very experienced and properly educated Professional Restaurant Manager, Ken Choice. I am familiar with this gentleman's employment history and credentials, and if anyone can turn this place on it's ear, it's Ken Choice.

It's obvious that he's going to have a huge job ahead of him, but I firmly believe he's up to the task. Give it a little time, and I'll wager a bet that before long we'll be hearing rave reviews about this place! We intend to give it a try once we close up for the season, so I'll be sure and post here afterwards.
Old 09-10-2005, 07:52 PM   #23
wildo

Default new manager

Manager or owner?

The place has been a dissappointment.

Pepper I know you subs are good and your info is probably good but let's see how your buddies resume holds as the owner runs the business
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:54 PM   #24
Pepper

Wildo, first you should know that this gentleman is not a buddie - I've made his acquaintance exactly once, nearly six years ago when he first relocated to the lakes region from parts south. I know of his work history only because restaurant folks are always talking restaurant stuff with other restaurant folks, and word aways travels the circle.

My comments were with regard to his ability to turn around a dysfunctional restaurant. I'm completely aware that someone else owns the business, and that ultimately any and all decisions would probably be made by that person. However, when an owner brings in a new manager, it usually is a good indication that they expect the new manager to shake things up.

Perhaps you have some intimate knowledge of the situation which leads you to be circumspect. I'm not sure what the in your post was referring to, perhaps you can elaborate?

Meanwhile, I'm hoping that things do turn around at the Barn and Grille. A lot of money was spent to develop the building, and it would be a shame to see it not succeed.
Old 09-22-2005, 03:21 PM   #25
island support

Post Thank You

We at the Ellacoya Barn & Grille would like to thank all of you for your interest,patience and support during our opening. Thanks to all who took the time to share your experiences, whether good or bad. Thank you for your trust as a community, and your continued belief in us, and our future endeavors.
From the beginning our goal was to provide a neighborhood restaurant where you could seek a comfortable relaxing atmosphere, as well as a great dining experiance. Some of you had the opportunity to feel what we had set forth, and for some we failed to deliver. We have recognized our failures, and changes have been made to rectify those problems. We apologize for all our shortcomings and ask for your continued support through this transition. We are here to serve you, and our number one focus is to give you the best dining experience possible.
We have some new and exciting upcoming events. Our new menu will be in place next week, with our same great favorites, but featuring some new items. On Sundays and Thursdays we will have live music with local and Boston based musicians. For all of you other restaurant workers, starting next week, Mondays will host our hospitality appreciation night, with 10% off all food items. This is just a few of the new happenings here at the "Barn", you will have to come visit us to find out the rest.
Sincerely
Ellacoya Barn & Grille
island support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 04:35 PM   #26
Paugus Bay Resident

Do you guys have a web site? (couldn't find one) Would be nice to know about your specials and promotions (new menu too).

I'll give you another shot
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #27
Winni

Default Ellacoya disaster

We went to the Ellacoya Barn & Grill on Sunday, December 11, 2005. After we were seated, a "band" of two guitarists & drummer started up. Although we were furtherst away than anyone elso, the sound traveling upstairs had a "tunnell" effect and their 100 or so decibles sounded much much louder. After several pleas to our waitress to ask the "band" to tone it down, it only got louder, and we had to leave before the entree was served. Apparently we weren't the only ones; another (the ONLY) other party lingering over dessert when we arrived also bid a hasty retreat. Food was O.K. but the racous atmosphere makes it unacceptable. P.S. it's not because I don't like music.....I'm a professional musician! I hope those guys don't quit their day jobs!
Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:01 PM   #28
arthurc

Default ELlacoya Barn & Grille

We we're there Saturday nite before 8:00PM. Fortunately no band then. Food was reasonable. I had Fish and Chips and my wife had a steak. I'd go back again. One comment was that when we we're leaving most of the waitstaff were crowded around theentrance
arthurc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:28 PM   #29
Paugus Bay Resident

Interestingly, their web site has a link to this thread.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nm2c/e...abarnampgrill/

Click on "Hear what people are saying"
Paugus Bay Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 07:33 AM   #30
pointicus

Default Ellacoya Narn and Grille

My wife and I visit the Barn and Grille regularly. We find the atmaosphere to be very enjoyable. The magnificently renovated barn is a gem in this area! We have enjoyed many tasty meals here. I particularly enjoy the steak tips - delicious! We also enjoy ordering from the sandwich menu; clubs and burgers are fantastic.

How fortunate are we, as well, to have an area restaurant offer outstanding live entertainment. We really enjoy the Thursday and Sunday evening acoustic music.

This past Sunday, December 11, we made a point to get to the Barn to hear Bobby Keys, a phenomenal guitarist from Boston. Bobby has peformned with and recorded for major artists from coast to coast. His performance this past Sunday was nothing less than awe inspiring. His eclectic style blends the sounds of past jazz and blues greats such as D'jango Rheinhardt, Freddie Greene and Duane Eddy. His instrumental music, while not acoustic, is easy on the ears. He played several original compositions with his trio along with some standard covers tunes including the Duke Ellington classic "Caravan." Bobby's band is always professional, his drummer's "day job" is with the Boston Pops orchestra - not a bad gig if you can get it! Sunday's bassist was a young man I had not heard of or seen before but his musicianship was impeccable. Every note was played with meaning and purpose. I look forward to the return of this outstanding trio!!

We applaud the owner and management of the Barn for courageously booking such quality entertainment in our little NH town. We would typically drive to Portland, Concord or Portsmouth to hear music like this and often we would pay 30 or more dollars per ticket! The folks at the barn offer it free of charge!

Keep it up! We are thrilled to have the Barn and Grille in town.

PS, we are looking forward to spending New Year's Eve with you guys as well!
pointicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 09:22 AM   #31
mcdude

Default Not Their Official Website!

Paugus Bay Resident:
Just to eliminate any confusion....that is not their official website. It is just something I put together consisting of a photo I snapped and their ad from last summer in the "Lakes Region Dining" magazine (or whatever it's called) so that I could include them in my Alton/Wolfeboro area restaurant and take-out menu page. McD

see link below.....
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nm2c/r...ttakeoutmenus/

Last edited by mcdude; 11-12-2008 at 06:13 PM.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #32
Waterbaby

Default Bobby Keys

Very articulate, eloquent review. One question -- I thought Bobby Keys was the sax player for the Stones? In which case, yes, one would have to pay a hefty cover charge for his concerts. Is this, perhaps, a case of mistaken identity? Just curious.
Waterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 03:27 PM   #33
Winni

Default Off the mark on this one

That was my husband speaking in the earlier post. He is indeed the professional musician; not I, and if I told you who he is you would be greatly surprised and not take his opinion lightly. I'm sorry, "pointicus", but you are way off the mark on this one. Yes, the percussionist was decent (compared to his buddies), but if you want to compare credentials, my husband has actually been a soloist with the Boston Pops! He also has a master's degree in music. He still is and has been a music teacher, conductor, and performer for over 45 years. So, I do think he knows something about this topic.

The band playing the night of Dec. 11th was not sensitive to their surroundings. They were playing "appliances" at a level that would have been more appropriate for a giant reception hall. Even if they were not very good, if they had played softly, as background music in a restaurant should be played, it would have been tolerable. Yes, using un-amped acoustic guitars might have made it better. If the idea is to attract "diners" with the entertainment, however, blasting them out of the place is not the way to go.

We went to this establishment when it was first opened and did not go back for a long time because we found the food very greasy. However, we were told recently the chef had changed. We've been twice since and have very much enjoyed the Barn & Grille's new menu. I will never go back on a night when they have entertainment, though, if this is what they are offering. It was just unbearable.

I do also think the place has been beautifully redone. It has a lovely atmosphere. The rustic beams, the horse related and other decorations, and the wonderful fireplace area with the couches all add to the charm. Unfortunately, of course, it was not possible to sit by the fireplace that very cold evening because the band was using that space! What a shame to ruin such great ambiance with that kind of inappropriate "noise"!

Another comment I might make, is that I think this establishment is too "upscale" in their pricing for the location. They are charging Boston prices (I do speak from experience; I dine down there often with my grown children), that won't fly long on the edge of Alton. There is nothing particularly unique that isn't available somewhere else, so I do not believe they will get repeat customers (where the real money is) forking over large sums of cash for meals.

When I have visited the Barn & Grill, I've noticed most of the customers were around the bar and only a few were at tables. This should tell them something. You can't make an eating establishment succeed on only liqueur. Someone has to be eating all that food they keep available in the kitchen.

Good luck to them; I really do hope they make it. It's nice to have a nearby place to eat and drink with good food and a nice atmosphere. But, if anything can be learned from the failure of Victorian House, it should be that the area can't support such pricing. Also, those of us who want to still have brain waves when we exit will not tolerate sure horrible noise levels from the entertainment!
Winni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 11:21 AM   #34
mcdude

Default Web Page Launched

The Barn and Grille has launched a very nicely done new web page....follow the link below

ELLACOYA BARN and GRILLE

They are featuring Apres Ski dinners Sunday through Wednesday...

In the February 16 edition of the Weirs Times an article is featured about this establishment with many photos. Requires Acrobat Reader. Click on the Feb. 16th edition and go to page 3.

WEIRS TIMES
Old 02-23-2006, 03:59 PM   #35
Mee-n-Mac

Default Lunch this past weekend

We grabbed a quick lunch at the Barn 'n' Grille last weekend. "Mee" had a shrimp cocktail appetizer and I had a cheeseburger. The interior is great and the waitestaff friendly and attentive. But my burger was only good (nothing wrong just not at good as Shibleys or Garwoods) and the fries were, honestly, greasy. Portions were generous and prices were inline with everyone else. I can well imagine the bar is a happening place. We'll go back if only to try dinner some time. Silver medal I guess but no gold this time.