Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
SAUGUS BOATER

Default Flying Tubes

I was just wondering, are flying tubes such as Sevylor's Manta Ray now prohibited on Lake Winni.? I know that the manufacturers voluntarily stopped making them because of too many injuries, but they can still be bought second hand or new on Ebay and other auction sites.

Have any forum members used one of these ? Are they really as crazy as they look? I was thinking of buying one as I am a responsible boater/tuber (with a slightly crazy streak!) and think I can handle it, but there's a difference between crazy and suicidal! I guess you would definitely have to have someone you trust driving the boat. I just don't want to run amok of the N.H.M.P. if "flying while tubing" is now prohibited.
SAUGUS BOATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
dog paw

Those things are flat out wicked. There were quite a few on our lake for a while. I beleive Sevylor was offering money back and then some for the tow hooks cut out of all that were out in use. I would lean more to the suicidal side on those LOL! A slight puff of wind from the wrong way can equal a 30 ft fall. Looks like fun as long as you are on the boat

Y Tube em, pretty sure theres some good footage
dog paw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
codeman671

You can still get them on Ebay. I dont think they were officially outlawed.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #4
SAUGUS BOATER

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog paw View Post
Those things are flat out wicked. There were quite a few on our lake for a while. I beleive Sevylor was offering money back and then some for the tow hooks cut out of all that were out in use. I would lean more to the suicidal side on those LOL! A slight puff of wind from the wrong way can equal a 30 ft fall. Looks like fun as long as you are on the boat

Y Tube em, pretty sure theres some good footage

Oh, I've you tubed 'em all right. Thats why I want one! Is there any way to control how high you go, like say you only wanted to go 12-15 feet high instead of 30 ? (on a non windy day, on a closed course, with a professional driver, of course...)
Old 08-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
travaler18

Default no control

I was watching one on a relativly calm day. The guy looked like he knew what he was doing. He was up about 15 ft, looking very cool, I turned to my wife and said we need one of those. When I looked back, he just flipped and went head first upside down into the water. They dragged him back into the boat. The way that thing just flipped out of the blue was scary. If he didnt break his neck he was lucky. I looked them up and saw all the issues with them. Good luck saugus boater, they do look like a blast, but too unpredictable for me.---oh, best to my knowledge, they are legal, just not sane.
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM   #6
webmaster

Thanked 3,697 Times in 820 Posts

There was a thread about these tubes a few years ago complete with links, videos and articles: http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3324

webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #7
Just Sold

Ski Kites in the 60's

In the early 60's a family friend's 2 sons ran the ski show on Sunapee. They did kite and trick skiing as well as jumps. They also owned a water ski training school on the lake. One son drove while the other ski'd. One year one son was not able to drive as he had just had his appendix out so they used a substitute driver. It ended very badly when kite skiing and the replacement driver turned the wrong way taking all the air away from the kite and he fell breaking his back. After his recovery he returned to water skiing but never used a sustitute driver again.
These flying tubes can be very dangerous just as kites were in the 60's. The driver has to be very knowledgable to protect the person in the flying tube.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 PM   #8
SAUGUS BOATER

Default Thanks

Thanks Don,

I had a feeling there was probably a thread on here already, I just didn't know how to find it.

After reading the following in the thread:

"Victims have reported coughing up blood, torn muscles, whiplash-type injuries, broken ribs, punctured lungs and cervical fractures," according to a safety alert from the park service."

I think I'll just stick with the wakeboard !!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #9
Jidge

Default Flying Tube Demo

Thought people might like to see this. Looks awesome to try.....once! http://www.stupidvideos.com/video/st...ng_tube/#14200
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:40 PM   #10
searay220

You first.
searay220 is offline   Reply With Quote