Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
The Eagle

Default Moultonboro to Suissevale info!

I've heard there are a lot of trees down throughout Moultonboro Center and power is still out in most of Moultonboro. Does anyone know exactly how bad it is? I was going to come up this weekend, but my neighbor is on his way up now and said Moultonboro Center has a lot of high Pine trees down! Any info would be appreciated!
The Eagle
The Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:33 PM   #2
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
I've heard there are a lot of trees down throughout Moultonboro Center and power is still out in most of Moultonboro. Does anyone know exactly how bad it is? I was going to come up this weekend, but my neighbor is on his way up now and said Moultonboro Center has a lot of high Pine trees down! Any info would be appreciated!
The Eagle
I've seen pictures, but that's about it. My brother-in-laws parents have retired to Suissevale and apparently they made it out to the Bob House today for lunch. Not sure what the power/frozen pipe/etc. situation is like though.
Old 03-16-2017, 04:49 PM   #3
ILOVETHELAKE

Default Moultonborough

We went through that area today. When passing the elementary school on 25, you'll see the first trees down. BIG trees blown over, uprooted. At the instersection of 25/109, there were many NHEC trucks and lots of men working on the poles. Police where there directing traffic. Just south of there, on Lincoln drive, the electric pole was broken and the lines were hanging about 4 feet of the ground. Between 25 and the split of 109/171, there are many trees down, again BIG trees. There are also many poles broken and lines hanging down. When we got to the split of 109/171, the road was closed going on 109 south. There were many trucks and lots of men replacing the poles in front of Buckeys. There were also lots of toppled trees thwt had been cut and removed to clear the road. We saw no lights on along that section of road. We live off Moultonborough Neck and didn't have anything close to th damage on 109.
ILOVETHELAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:15 PM   #4
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/Camp-Patrol-1425832400845097/

I thought the above was one of the best videos I have seen. The trees, wires and poles down on 109 is just amazing. Bald Peak area is really bad. ( video by "Camp Patrol".)

Scroll down to "War Zone" after you open the link.

Last edited by tis; 03-16-2017 at 06:36 PM.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
chasedawg (03-16-2017), FlyingScot (03-16-2017), GTO (03-17-2017), JanN (03-17-2017), Jersey Ed (03-17-2017), The Winster (03-17-2017), WINNOCTURN (03-18-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default Nh Electric to track Usage

Eagle
Power still out as far as I can tell. If you want to check your place login to your account with NH Electric and you can see your usage. Mine went off around 3:30PM on Tuesday and no usage since. Not looking good for the pipes. Going up tomorrow so if anyone knows of any road closures on 109 please let me know. Need to get to entrance to Ambrose Cove Marina. Sounds like it was closed from 171 south but not sure how far. Too bad Barts Seafood isn't open.
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
stynx55

I am at my house in Belmoral right now we have no power and New Hampshire electric company says we won't have power until Saturday and Swisvale will not have power until Sunday you can definitely make it around town to Belmoral and you can get to Swissvale but you Have detours it's not looking real good for my hot tub right now, in the morning I'm gonna try and drain it. Living off generator power as we speak. This area got hammered big-time my neighbor lost his deck the side of his house and his boat to a tree that fell and has never seen it as bad as it is right now
stynx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
The Eagle

Default Word to the wise!

As we see this damage and you think of having trees removed take some advice by someone who got burned! If you choose to use "Greenleaf Tree" from Moultonboro, don't let him do ANYTHING he promises unless its is IN WRITING! especially when it comes to damage caused by his work! He will promise you the world to fix his damage then will tell you he is "no responsible for damages to lawns and driveways", ( it's in his "quote"),but will rape your property and leave, never to be heard from again! "let the buyer Beware!" If he won't put it in writing, he will screw you! Been there been burnt!
The Eagle
Old 03-16-2017, 06:56 PM   #8
FlyingScot

Default Link to NHEC updates

Here's the latest, updated every few hours and linked to maps:
https://www.nhec.com/outage-update-winter-storm-stella/
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
stynx55

The power just came on at my place in Belmoral it's been on now for 10 minutes plus I call my buddy in Swissvale and he still does not have power
stynx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #10
Doobs41378

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
https://www.facebook.com/Camp-Patrol-1425832400845097/

I thought the above was one of the best videos I have seen. The trees, wires and poles down on 109 is just amazing. Bald Peak area is really bad. ( video by "Camp Patrol".)

Scroll down to "War Zone" after you open the link.
That video shows a lot. The amount of trees over is crazy.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:53 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

That's pretty impressive damage, at the same time now I'm a bit concerned about the same kind of damage being sustained on the islands. Doesn't help the ice is so darn sketchy now that making a trip out is to dangerous.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:53 PM   #12
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Eagle View Post
As we see this damage and you think of having trees removed take some advice by someone who got burned! If you choose to use "Greenleaf Tree" from Moultonboro, don't let him do ANYTHING he promises unless its is IN WRITING! especially when it comes to damage caused by his work! He will promise you the world to fix his damage then will tell you he is "no responsible for damages to lawns and driveways", ( it's in his "quote"),but will rape your property and leave, never to be heard from again! "let the buyer Beware!" If he won't put it in writing, he will screw you! Been there been burnt!
The Eagle
Thought I would send out a message of appreciation for the Greenleaf Tree Service. My neighbors and I hired www.greenleaftreenh.com from Moultonborough for removing three large trees last month, on Ground Hogs Day, and Greenleaf did a totally super-duper job. Could not have been any smoother.....everything went perfect....including the use of a huge Manotowac crane ....it was like the greatest tree removal job ever done in the world history of trees, since trees were first invented......855-million years ago ........ timberrrrrrrrr! .... coming down ...... and heads up!

Piece by piece by piece by piece ..... they took apart and removed some large trees without a penny of damage to our mega-mega-million dollar, mega big-bucks, humble properties.....honest!

Got to mention that here in Meredith....the wind blew extremely strong....probably the strongest ever that I've seen....I was very concerned for the nearby trees.....but surprisingly, on the next morning, had suffered basically no tree damage, and while the electricity flickered and sputtered a few times, it never went off for longer than a split second.....with no damage to anything, what-so-ever....... so, here's 3-cheers for Meredith!

I noticed, yesterday, that Route 25-B going over Dane Hill in Center Harbor had some large trees come down, but could not see any damage to any buildings or homes there.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-17-2017 at 04:24 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 04:41 AM   #13
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
That video shows a lot. The amount of trees over is crazy.

It is terrible isn't it? I heard the weather service isn't going to look at it as a microburst or straight winds or whatever but it sure wasn't just normal winds to have that many trees and poles blown over. It reminds me of the one that went through Camp Northwoods a few years ago. Something went through that whole area.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (03-18-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 06:36 AM   #14
The Eagle

Default Youwere the lucky one!

FLL
You were lucky! They were supposed to cut my trees in sections. But Decided he could make more money taking them down whole a(logging them) and selling them to a mill. He dropped them on my septic system, them brought in a forklift, and dragged them over my entire lawn., tearing up my lawn with deep holes across the entire lawn ands septic system. When I objected to the damage he was doing, He promised me he would bring loom and fix the damage, as if they were never there. They raked the debris into the neighboring land, left sections of the tree bases still standing, and then brought a crane into my neighbors driveway (paved) without his permission, and ripped a hole in his driveway. He sent his girl to "pick up a check," before I could get back and see the mess he left. After numerous calls, and him telling me he would bring loom, then in later conversations, stated he'd "throw some dirt' and cover it up. When he NEVER showed, I contacted him again and was told, "His quote states 'Not responsible for damage to lawns and driveways'" He NEVER fixed my property and I paid over $1,300, to have my lawn repaired, and cleaned up the remaining debris myself. Contrary to what you say, I would NOT recommend them and not trust his word for anything, I am NOT the ONLY one who has had problems with them. Apparently they do NOT have insurance as he claims, as the people who fixed my lawn tried to get their insurance to pay for other damage they caused to other properties, and informed me it was a waste of time. I'll repeated what I said, "Get it IN WRITING", or your on your own! His word is NOT worth the air he used to say it!
Old 03-17-2017, 07:49 AM   #15
sluggo

I hired Greenleaf services this past summer to remove five 120 ft pine trees and they did a great job ! They were very professional , cleaned up the entire area they were working in and left no damage at all... I would definitely recommend them if someone needed tree service......
sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 AM   #16
Janet

Any information regarding damage around the Lanes End area of Melvin Village and the Lanes End Marina or Melvin Village Marina?
Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:53 AM   #17
CAVU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Any information regarding damage around the Lanes End area of Melvin Village and the Lanes End Marina or Melvin Village Marina?
That area seemed okay, though I have not taken a ride down lands end all the way. Just pass melvin village marina but, before Pine Cone cafe, right near the Hansel/Grettle shop/ed's auto there is large area of downed wires/trees. It was big pine that came crashing down. Still one lane as of 515am this morning.
CAVU is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CAVU For This Useful Post:
Janet (03-17-2017)
Old 03-17-2017, 11:19 AM   #18
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
It is terrible isn't it? I heard the weather service isn't going to look at it as a microburst or straight winds or whatever but it sure wasn't just normal winds to have that many trees and poles blown over. It reminds me of the one that went through Camp Northwoods a few years ago. Something went through that whole area.
Definitely interested in the dynamics of what went on there. But it's definitely not a microburst because those are associated with thunderstorms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microburst
Old 03-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #19
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Definitely interested in the dynamics of what went on there. But it's definitely not a microburst because those are associated with thunderstorms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thundersnow
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #20
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post

In some discussion with someone who works at the NWS, this event was a downsloping event. When wind hits the Ossipee's, it usually deflects around or up and away. Thanks to a unique setup, the wind ended up being forced over the summits and then it accelerated downward like water rolling down a steep slope. Soundings showed the wind 2250' AGL was about 63 knots, so it was nearly hurricane force to begin with.

The same mechanism was at play for the enhanced area of damage downwind of the Belknaps along 106/107.
bruinsfan (03-18-2017), gillygirl (03-18-2017), JDeere (03-17-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 06:04 AM   #21
Senter Cove Guy

Default Melvin Village

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
There was a lot of restoration activity around Melvin Village today. Melvin Marina does not seem to be affected. I drove into Lanes End and didn't see anything there either. The area around my house is a mess. There is still one small tree laying on wires behind my house but it has not caused an outage, yet. I reported it to NHEC today. I'm going to have quite a cleanup effort this spring. Lots of small stuff down. Colonel Tuftonboro Estates behind me got hit really bad. Huge trees down. Some on garages/houses. Those have already been removed but the total cleanup will take into the summer/fall.
Janet (03-18-2017)
Old 03-18-2017, 07:16 AM   #22
NonVoting Taxpayer

Default NH Electric

I looked at my NH Electric account. My account says the power in the Ambrose Cove area was on until 11AM Thursday and came back on at 5PM Friday. Not sure I believe their smart meter showing power was on all day Wednesday but that would be nice if it's true? Drove up yesterday to check for damage and drain what water wasn't frozen but was told the road was closed and I couldn't get any further. I knew their priority was to get the power on so I turned around and drove 2 hours back home after checking Severance Rd which was closed as was the intersection of RT 109/171.
Anyone know if 109 is open today between the intersection of 109/171 south to Bald Peak?
NonVoting Taxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:14 AM   #23
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
My bad. Thanks for the link. It's just when I hear the word thunderstorm, I think of the typical summertime storm. Must be from growing up in Ohio. And I don't think microbursts occur in the winter thunderstorm.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:37 AM   #24
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
In some discussion with someone who works at the NWS, this event was a downsloping event. When wind hits the Ossipee's, it usually deflects around or up and away. Thanks to a unique setup, the wind ended up being forced over the summits and then it accelerated downward like water rolling down a steep slope. Soundings showed the wind 2250' AGL was about 63 knots, so it was nearly hurricane force to begin with.

The same mechanism was at play for the enhanced area of damage downwind of the Belknaps along 106/107.
Awesome. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:10 AM   #25
The Eagle

Default Powerr restored to Suissevale

The power was restored to Suissevale (at some point) on Saturday morning. Luckily no frozen pipes (for me), and no trees down on my property. I pray everyone else has the same outcome. THANK YOU to all the people who worked throughout this entire storm to clear the roads, and restore power. Many times the people who work hard never get a "Thank You1" so,
THANK YOU, I appreciate everyone and everything that was been done!!
The Eagle
The Following User Says Thank You to The Eagle For This Useful Post:
Lakegeezer (03-19-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 10:02 AM   #26
fatlazyless

Default ....Center Harbor tennis courts

Noticed the tennis hitting backboard at the Center Harbor two courts, about 12'-high x 24'-wide, made with 4x8 plywood sheets, has come down, and is lying face down on top of the snow covered tennis court. Probably got blown down by the big winds.

Could be a good time to replace it with a similar backboard made with the same design and materials. IT WAS A VERY GOOD HITTER! The old board could have been something like 40-years old(?), and was wearing out from tennis use and old age.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #27
longislander

WMUR

"National Weather Service says microburst did not hit Moultonborough"

"The National Weather Service said it will not send a crew to investigate the damage."

http://www.wmur.com/article/national...orough/9141965

https://www.google.com/search?q=snow...w=1252&bih=554

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Fuu0q6_Ho

The weather chan
longislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:16 PM   #28
wifi

"Denial", "Fake news" it is a sign of the times.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
longislander (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #29
longislander

Old 03-23-2017, 07:59 AM   #30
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
WMUR

"National Weather Service says microburst did not hit Moultonborough"

"The National Weather Service said it will not send a crew to investigate the damage."

http://www.wmur.com/article/national...orough/9141965

https://www.google.com/search?q=snow...w=1252&bih=554

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5Fuu0q6_Ho

The weather chan
The mechanism that generates microbursts doesn't exist in a broad area of stratiform precip associated with a coastal storm.

The snow microburst google image search just shows regular microbursts. The youtube video just shows a perfectly benign snow squall.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:12 AM   #31
longislander

Maybe it was a snow derecho?

https://www.google.com/search?q=snow...h=554&dpr=1.09

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_is_a_derecho.htm

Snow jobs happen all the time!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #32
hilltopper

There's an article about the wind event in today's Laconia Daily Sun. As another poster said somewhere, it was a downsloping wind event.

http://www.laconiadailysun.com/newsx...s/103031-winds
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote